Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
JayD

Default Fading Handles

Can anyone suggest a way to brighten up the Fez door handles. I have a WQ zetec 5 door in Panther black, and have just spent a few hours polishing her up...the problem is the door handles look really crap. They have faded or oxidized or something and look sort of whitish!!?? I tried to polish them, but when it dries off, they look much the same. Maybe I could try removing them and having them painted, has anyone done this and did you have any dramas. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jay

JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe try some really deep cut polish? Does tyre shine do anything on them?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

My best advice is to use Meguires 'Natural shine Vinyl and Rubber protector'

Rub that in a few times to bring out the black shine (keep doing that once a week). Polish if i'm getting what you're saying correctly, will only make them WORSE...MUCH WORSE...

You can paint them (i've painted mine along with the door strip and boot strip).

Just go to autobarn or something like that and ask them to mix you the right colour to match, into a spray can.

Take door handles off clean them, sand starting at 400 sand paper, then work up to around 1000 (keeping wet too)

Then use a can of plastic primer (two or three coats) sand with 1200-1400 paper (wet) then once thats dried, apply your colour spray, however many coats it takes.

Then (after around half a day) you can spray a couple of coats of lacquer.
Once thats dried use some polish to shine them up. Takes a whole day to do it properly by yourself.

: oh what fun...
PM me if you need instructions .doc for taking door handles off.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
JayD

Thanks for the quick replys...
Zetec Jim, you are right, I have just been out to check how its looking, and the handles look MUCH WORSE!!, as well as the plastic side strips that I got a bit of polish on look really bad. I think I will take your advice and paint them myself. I will pm you for more info on handle removal once I have the paint. Thanks, Jay
Old 25-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Fled74
The Thread Killa

What Jim said.

This is the exact same technique I used for painting my door handles & side rubbing strips.

If you take your time and do it properly, it'll look like a million bucks.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
JayD

In the bright sunlight of this morning, the handles and side strips look 100 times worse!! The duco polish has got on to the side strips in places and looks shocking, and the handles look worse than yesterday!! I think I will be hitting the paintshops this week and have a project for the weekend.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
FPV GT40
Banned

Maquires Gold Class trim detailer, or Mothers back to black, will bring them up like new....
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
In the bright sunlight of this morning, the handles and side strips look 100 times worse!! The duco polish has got on to the side strips in places and looks shocking, and the handles look worse than yesterday!! I think I will be hitting the paintshops this week and have a project for the weekend.
If these parts your talking about are plastice the of course they are going to look worse and faded with the dried up polish / wax on them.

Painting them is also probably not your best first choice.

Try cleaning them first use some peanut oil on a rag to carfuly wipe just the trim and clean as much polish of those parts, then as above get some megs natural shine and carfully apply, let it soak in and then reapply if needed ( each coat gives a deeper shine.

dry it all down and it should look tops.

moving forward always do your trims before you polish, this way if some wax does get onto it you can quickly wipe it o as the trim detailer acts as a thin membrane protecting it.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
JayD

Thanks FPV GT40 and Doc, I'll give the Maguires a go this weekend. Will be a lot easier than painting them, especially since my better half uses the car all weekend.
Cheers, Jay
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ohhhhh, sorry about that one there, mine are painted and I just said what I did with mine, yeah polish would've made black plastic white.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
JayD

Well, I gave the Meguires Trim detailer a go. It came up pretty good I reckon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door1.jpg (22.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg door2.jpg (20.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg door3.jpg (16.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 14-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
Adsy01

Lightbulb

JayD, looks great, but i hate to tell you, they'll "fade" again in a week or so.... mine have been doing the same for months.

But i have good news for you!!!!

I managed to get rid of it on mine... See your handles arn't faded at all. The "fading" is only un-buffed polish thats on the handle in the low spots. When you use a trim detailer like you have today, it "wets" the polish, so it looks as if you've sorted it, but after a week or so it dries out and you're back to square one(or spening a crap load of cash on trim detailer). But if you clean out the polish, they will look like new o there own.

How do I clean them I hear you all ask, well the answer is simple.

A humble pencil eraser! :

I just used a common white eraser, and rubbed the polish our of the low parts of the pattern in the plastic! Just the same as if you were rubbing out pencil from paper. Once you've done it give them a wash, then apply your trim detailer and they will stay looking clean, even without the trim detailer!! :

I stumbled across this trick on the fiesta UK forum a while back but only recently tried it... It works on any of the wrough textured plastic on the car.
The other tip i have is mask up the plastic trims and handles on the car next time you polish it.

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #13
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

genius! good work mate. that sure beats using blackener every week.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post