Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default People in the wrong...

*Mods, if this is in the wrong spot, please move to appropriate location, besides the rubbish bin *

Situation...

My mate's car was hit by some silly woman who doesn't know how to park. Apparantly, and I haven't seen the damage first hand, but it's a fair ding, some paint blemishes and some marks on the alloys. Originally, she said she would pay for damages, and that she needed three quotes from three different panel beaters. Right, no problem.

Problem...

She's rung him today and said that she doesn't have insurance. Now, you guys have heard this all the time on the forums, and some very clever things have been said. What I'm thinking is that she does have insurance, just doesn't want to ruin her perfect record and Rating One. It sounds to me that she is trying to back out of paying...

Comments...???
Old 18-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

comment: get him to notify his insurance and let them go for it. No use stuffing around if she wants to play funny buggers
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Damn that sucks, had this sort of thing happen to me once. If your mate has fully comprehensive insurance, tell him to just make a no-fault claim through them. They will fix it straight away but they need the womans details and will handle it for him. It shouldn't cost him anything and won't go against his insurance record. Hope this helps.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

for a start the cost of the repairs probably won't be much higher than the excess (if it even is?), so best for her to keep the insurance company out of it!!!

I had $300 worth of damage done to my car in a car park and the lady just paid in cash and didn't contact the insurance agency, makes sense to me.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
It shouldn't cost him anything and won't go against his insurance record.
What about the excesses for making a claim?
Old 18-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
I had $300 worth of damage done to my car in a car park and the lady just paid in cash and didn't contact the insurance agency, makes sense to me.
If only everything was as easy as that... I'll have to suggest that to him. Thanks Pilch.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Yep, what XA said.

Also, even if a person does have insurance they can still choose to pay for the damage themselves and thus not get the claim marked against their policy. I've done this in the past when it was only a relatively small amount - about $600.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute
No excess if it's not his fault. That's what you pay for! And fair enough if she wants to keep insurance out of it, that's all fine and good, but since she is being a bit slack with it your mate has the right to have his car looking good as soon as possible.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

I must also mention the lady asked me to provide a few quotes to ensure I didn't rip her off! but yeah, was all relatively straight forward and resolved and repaired within a week.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

It's up to your mate.
If she is insured, she doesn't have to claim. This may effect her rating and increase premium and she will have to apy excess. This total amount may be less than the repairs.
If you have the 3 quotes, go and see her and if she doesn't pay ya mate, tell him to lodge a claim.

Easy No need to make it complicated.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just get her a few quotes and let her pay cash.
I accidently ran into some lady once and my towbar slightly damaged her bumper. My excess was like $800 and the quotes were only for $300.
She was wary at first but I gave her all my details and kept in touch with her. Just be careful she doesnt pull a dodgy.
Old 18-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Thanks all for the tips, comments, ummm... yeah.

Will tell all about the outcome.
Old 18-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
T3man
Banned

You don't have to have three claims. You can go to any repairer you choose and get a quote. You then send her a letter of demand for the amount. If she doesn't agree, or doesn't pay, you get the car repaired and then you take her to small claims court. It is very very rare for a plaintiff to lose a claim in the small claims court. The very best she'll get from it is time to pay if she can claim financial hardship.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
You don't have to have three claims. .
Depends how bad your driving is :P
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
You don't have to have three claims. You can go to any repairer you choose and get a quote. You then send her a letter of demand for the amount. If she doesn't agree, or doesn't pay, you get the car repaired and then you take her to small claims court. It is very very rare for a plaintiff to lose a claim in the small claims court. The very best she'll get from it is time to pay if she can claim financial hardship.
Yes that would work, i think you'd have more show of getting a payment quicker if you're nice about it though. It's usually no big deal to get three quotes anyway.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Good luck if you want to try this!
You could try and take her to court but it would be thrown out or she could pay as little as half of the repairs. There is a reason why you have to get 2 or 3 quotes (not claims.....) It justifies the amount. One repair bill does not justify anything.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

UPDATE

Apparantly he has struck a deal with this woman. Hopefully it's that she is gonna cough up. Update later on, when I go and check it out today.
Old 19-03-2005, 07:50 AM   #18
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute
I work in insurance.
An excess is ONLY payable when it is an "at fault" claim.
Having said that, let me define "at Fault"

At Fault claims are ANY claim made where you cannot identify the thrid party "at Fault".

So in this case since you have the details, no problem.

P.S
Yes Stolen cars are an "at Fault ' Claim unless you happen to know the details of the thief
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #19
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

I had a bloke run into the back of me once. He had been having a real bad run of late and said can you get quote and keep it out of insurance. Not a prob went and got quote for about $600 I think. I said give me $400 and I fix it my self. It cost me about $120 to fix myself and I pocketed the rest :evil_laug :evil_laug

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT