Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sat Nav hack?

Does anyone know the code that you enter into a denso (the one in BAs) sat nav that allows it to be programmed while moving.
I recently rang denso and asked the techo how to do it and he nearly told me but then asked if I was a dealer or end user and upon finding out he then denied it could be done "because of safety".

My other satnav (navman) just asks if you are a passenger before letting you enter a destination.

The ability to do this would be very usefull because as the data is pretty crappy and if you do not know the exact suburb or in the case of small rural towns you did not realise there actually were suburbs it can be a labourious process finding a point.

E.G. 259 Boat Harbour drive Hervey Bay (my work) is impossible to find.
First it will tell you that hervey bay has no streets.
Ok so maybe it is in Pialba (it actually is) ... no the highest number in that suburb is about 230.
Ok it must be in Scarness (the next suburb) then... not this one starts at about 280.
It would be much easier for passenger to work out how the dickheads at sensis (who make the data) have hidden the address you are looking for if you did not have to pull up for 20 minutes.

Anyway, I am sure it can be done and I think it is by a sequence of numbers entered from the remote so if anyone knows ..... please....

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think drivers have enough distractions without people playing with their satnav while driving.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I think drivers have enough distractions without people playing with their satnav while driving.
Good for you, now read the post again.

Most of the people in this forum live in a country that is bigger than a cattle station.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
HSE2

Not exactly on topic but would you recommend the factory Sat Nav over aftermarket?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Not exactly on topic but would you recommend the factory Sat Nav over aftermarket?
Both have their good and bad points.

Factory:

Good:
Is fitted to car and uses ICC screen (bigger)
Uses sound system so is easy to hear
Has accellerometers as well as GPS so it works in tunnels/car parks/between tall buildings and knows when you are turning.
Works instantly.
Easy to program (when the data is not crap)
Bad:
Data is old (2001-2) and a bit inaccurate but should be updated soon
Can't be moved to other cars e.g. rentals
Hard to see when in "night" mode

Navman:

Good:
Much newer and more comprehensive data.
Easy to move to other vehicles
Is much cheaper.
Good at night and in low light (foggy) situations.
Can program while moving (by passenger of course)

Bad:
Gets lost fairly easily if there are tunnels/tall buildings etc.
Will direct you up goat tracks, unformed roads and wrong way up one way streets
Takes a while to wake up (find gps satellites)
Relies on GPS so get confused if you deviate from its plan and sometimes takes off in the wrong direction.
Small screen.

If only I could get the Navman data (edited to remove non existent roads) into the Denso (factory) and hack it to not go into night mode unless required and be programmable while moving I would be a happy little vegemite.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
HSE2

Thanks for that. It would appear the real cost of the factory unit is about $4400 by the time they put the applicable tax on it. I note that whereis has updated the software for the Ford system today. Well they have been saying it is coming but now they have the info up. $395 for version 12. Where does the remote on the factory system live?

And before anyone tells me Tassie isn't big enough to need such a system. Thanks I know that.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Good for you, now read the post again.

Most of the people in this forum live in a country that is bigger than a cattle station.
Thanks, but I read it just fine the first time. Fact is, if word gets around about this little code, then Sat Nav systems will be the next cell phone, with people causing accidents while they fiddle with their little gadgets.**edited** None of that thanks**

Last edited by rodderz; 05-10-2005 at 07:37 PM. Reason: No derogitary comments towards others please
Old 05-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Thanks for that. It would appear the real cost of the factory unit is about $4400 by the time they put the applicable tax on it. I note that whereis has updated the software for the Ford system today. Well they have been saying it is coming but now they have the info up. $395 for version 12. Where does the remote on the factory system live?

And before anyone tells me Tassie isn't big enough to need such a system. Thanks I know that.
The Factory SatNav is quite good,except the Data needs to be updated more often,as there are always new estates opening up.
If your going to an interstate city such as Sydney,Adelaide or even good old Hobart(Have used it there) they will get you to the destination providing it's data is there.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

Slightly off topic , but i put a car pc in my ba ghia, and intergrated it into the Factory screen and audio.
works well and uses 'destinater' maps.
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri
Slightly off topic , but i put a car pc in my ba ghia, and intergrated it into the Factory screen and audio.
Dude that kicks ***. Got any photos?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

: : : :

That lightened my day, thanks !!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
ELAUBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri
Dude that kicks ***. Got any photos?
WTF! Surely if someone else playing with your satnav is a distraction, then a PC would be worse.....
ELAUBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously I don't condone playing with a computer while driving, but I'm still interested in seeing this mod, sounds like an interesting project. Probably a good idea to connect it to the starter inhibitor switch so it only works while the car is parked.