Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Default Dealer servicing

Just has my car at Titan Ford for the 105,000 km service, and was wondering do any other members let dealers service their car or someone else. Sure for warrenty purposes but what about general matainance? Have you had good or bad service at dealers?

I got my car back and the LHS brake light, RHS tail light and a LHS parker light was not fixed. But they did wash the car and I would of prefered to do it myself. It was already clean before it went to them and they washed it and came back dirty. All well, long weekend to clean the car.

Dealers do charge an arm and a leg and what is the go with an "approved technian" always wanting to change your wiper blades? :

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Just has my car at Titan Ford for the 105,000 km service, and was wondering do any other members let dealers service their car or someone else. Sure for warrenty purposes but what about general matainance? Have you had good or bad service at dealers?

I got my car back and the LHS brake light, RHS tail light and a LHS parker light was not fixed. But they did wash the car and I would of prefered to do it myself. It was already clean before it went to them and they washed it and came back dirty. All well, long weekend to clean the car.

Dealers do charge an arm and a leg and what is the go with an "approved technian" always wanting to change your wiper blades? :
Ohhhhh don't get me started....... :ticking: :
Old 01-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
howey

I would like to think that there are good and bad deales, just like there are good and bad non dealers. I do have a fairly large conflict of interest though.
howey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #4
Sunburst50

I used my local Ford dealer while the car was under warranty but when it ran out I started taking it to my local Ultra Tune because the dealer wanted to charge too much for work that did not need doing. At the 60,000km service they wanted about $400 for new front pads and disc machining. That work was just done at 92,000km for $185 .

I have been using Ultra Tune for about 9 years now for all the cars I have owned in that time and have had no problems at all. The only thing I find is that they are getting more expensive but not as bad as the Ford Dealer.
Sunburst50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I bought my Escape in February used from Byrne Ford, it came with a 175,000 / 3 year extended warranty. To keep this warranty I must have a basic service every 6 months or 10,000 klm. Its a fixed price basic service of $175.00 that is just the service though. So to keep my warranty up I will do this and any other problems that arise get somewhere like ultratune to do.
I will say though when I bought the escape it had a common problem that a lot of Escapes have, an auto trans shudder. I did my research and found that ford had a tech service bulletin about it and the dealer did not charge me for that work and was done with a smile. So, its so far so good with Byrne ford in my experience, I am wary though after so many threads about dealer servicing on AFF. As i have a good grounding in mechanics its hard for them to pull the wool over my eyes.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well CHIEF
"Would you believe all dealers do a good job and at reasonable cost?'
No Max
"Would you believe some dealers?"
No Max
"How about 1in 100?"
Getting close Max. :hihi:
Old 02-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some might say
Missed it by that much...
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
chippa6
Novice Professional

I got ford to service my car just before the warranty ran out and they quoted over $300 to flush the gearbox. I got a quote for $185 from ultra tune, or $110 for a single flush/$145 for dual flush from a good gearbox guy down the road. I got it done for $145 it it is great.

I overheard the "road tester" technician telling a customer that when cars are brought in for servicing at ford that they update/flash the ecu with the latest version. anyone heard of this at all?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa6

I overheard the "road tester" technician telling a customer that when cars are brought in for servicing at ford that they update/flash the ecu with the latest version. anyone heard of this at all?
Not always. They will only do it if required, not as a regular thing.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
Dezza
Parts bin special

I don't. My parents do. One time, when they had the car serviced, the engine also got a degrease. Driving home, the car stalled and wouldn't restart. Water in the distributor. They fixed the problem, but it still shouldn't have happened.

On the other hand, when I had a wheel alignment, not at a Ford dealer but at a seperate mechanic, I was driving home and lost my front right wheel! Mechanic hadn't done the wheel nuts up properly. Sorted it all out for me as well.

Shows all mechanics can make mistakes, not just Ford dealers

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Once you are out of warrenty, don't go back to Ford and when buying the car don't be suckered into paying extra for extended warrenty, you are just puting more money into their pockets and getting nothing in return.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
aimzes
...fairly odd

for routine servicing would you be best to go to a place like ultratune just so your warrenty isnt void and you get your logbook stamped then only take it to ford if something needs fixing under warrenty? i.e your gearbox breaks.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

most dealers run the service side because they have to to keep the franchise and really only can afford to carry all the tools staff and parts by charging very handsomely.

Stay away if you can find a good workshop who you can trust.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #14
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've taken one car to a dealer (won't be going back) and another to an independant mechanic. The other two i see to myself or my old man sees to them.
The primary reason I won't go back to a dealer is my local couldn't pick the stuffed timing belt and thought it was a spark plug problem...Even i knew the difference, then when i said no just fix the timing belt.. they wanted $600!!!!!! Needless to say car got trailered to somewhere else and fixed.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #15
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Ohhhhh don't get me started....... :ticking: :
I'am with you on that.

My last warranty claim that got fixed I had to ring Ford customer service to get the dealership to replace the Climate control unit.

Within just over 12months out of warranty the ball joint end snapped of that holds the strut for the boot on the right side & no way would Ford come to the party saying it was not a rust issue & out of warranty. So the only time its seen a Ford dealership since is the recall to fix the rack bolts on the AU

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post