Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
SSbaby
Banned

Default How would Ford fans receive the 5.3L Holden V8?

Hey folks

Just interested in what Ford fans would think if Holden were to introduce the new GM 5.3L in VE?

Quote:
5.3L V8: 320 horsepower (238 kw)* and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (463 Nm)*

The figures are better than the bigger LS1s when they were first introduced in VT2 (220kW/440Nm)... and also on par with the VY1's LS1 engine (235kW/470Nm).
I know paper figures are different to 'real world' but how hard would it be to get this motor up and moving? Could it almost replace the LS1? Would it lack grunt compared to the Ford DOHCs? Would it give FoMoCo a marketing edge? Would Ford fans consider it justice that Holden play the same capacity game?

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Old 24-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Is it a pushrod engine ?
If isn't and it replaced the LS1 i think similar cubes would hot he competition right up, either that or take the Boss engine out too 6.0 litre
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

meh........its an engine.
Old 24-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
drphil

well makes more sense to have a slightly smaller motor than a 5.7 or a 6.0 in a standard family car.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect it would probably be a smart move by Holden. With the current fuel price paranoia I believe that many potential V8 buyers are having second thoughts and the idea of a 6 litre is even more off putting.
A high percentage of forum posters are only interested in pure performance at the expense of anything else. If they were not enthusiests rather than just regular users they would not bother with forums.
I use my refrigerator almost every day and when I buy a new one I will be very interested in capacity, colour, power usage and gizmos but I do not suscribe to www.street-refrigerators.com.au because it is not really all that important to me.

In the same way, the majority of car buyers really don't give a rats **** as long as the car does what they want.
Most V8s fall into the Boat/Horse/Caravan/Bike/"other heavy thing" transporter.
Next time you look at a XR8/SS/SV8/Barra 220 see if it has a tow bar. Most do.

As everyone knows a 5950cc engine with a 6L badge goes heaps faster but uses much, much more fuel than a 5950cc engine with a 5.9L badge, just ask anyone who is not a car enthusiest (and some who are).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well I guess it depends on how mach the VE will weigh. If it weighs in anything near what the BA does (approx 1800 kg for the XR8) then I guess those power figures quoted will mean a lot of unhappy holden fans, unless there is 463 Nm of torque from idle to redline (which I doubt). Although reducing engine capacity makes sense these days, Aussies want grunt from their V8's, and if the VE is to increase in mass and decrease in power output, then it'll be hard to justify one based on it's performance if an outgoing VZ is going to be quicker.

Now obviously this viewpoint only takes into regard straight line performance and not the whole package, and we all know that not everyone wants straightline speed with disregard for anything else, but try tell that to anyone you meet that says "Holdens rule coz they're faster...."

But from a Ford fans point of view, at least the Fords might have the performance edge for once :

Cheers.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Miss -T2TL50

VE!!!!!!!

looks like one awsome car.......

seen it in the flesh.

and there V8 for the SS VE is closer to the 6.0l mark and it has some power........

it also has a nice note exhaust.

it looks nothing like what is in the mags... eg.. motor and wheels.
Miss -T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
Miss -T2TL50

oh and GM will shock you with the other performance motor......... cant say what it is so you will just need to wait and read it in the mags.
Old 24-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Hey folks

Just interested in what Ford fans would think if Holden were to introduce the new GM 5.3L in VE?

I know paper figures are different to 'real world' but how hard would it be to get this motor up and moving? Could it almost replace the LS1? Would it lack grunt compared to the Ford DOHCs? Would it give FoMoCo a marketing edge? Would Ford fans consider it justice that Holden play the same capacity game?

Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers
There will not be a 5.3 litre V8 fitted to any of the VE models. I have seen prototypes and they were fitted with 6.0 litre engines.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If people claim they know so much about future model's then why don't they explain themselves a little more, this is the internet and I'm sure Holden are not going to find out who you are, so if you know as much as you say you do, let us all know???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
Miss -T2TL50

turbo V6.

6.0L V8

that all that i have see in the prototypes.
Old 24-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
Miss -T2TL50

i think that they are bringing out a FF version. to replace there vectra.
Old 24-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
If people claim they know so much about future model's then why don't they explain themselves a little more, this is the internet and I'm sure Holden are not going to find out who you are, so if you know as much as you say you do, let us all know???.
Oh you never know, they might be watching......:
Old 24-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #14
Miss -T2TL50

thats tru so if they came after me i'm stuffed.

oh well.

any way.
Old 24-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people on these forums assign themselves as product development manager and just decide what these manufacturers will or wont do.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #16
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss -T2TL50
thats tru so if they came after me i'm stuffed.

oh well.

any way.
Well, I hope they leave you well alone. Your comments are very enlightening and I didn't expect to read such comments about the upcoming VE... especially in non-Holden forum. Thanks for the heads up!!! ;)

My comments were only hypothetical - personally, I am in favour of a smaller capacity V8 as I'm sure the motor will still haul the mail after the usual mods - hence the question.

Cheers
Old 25-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #17
parawolf
beep beep

Well there would be no surprise that the HFV6 is entertaining the turbo option, namely because that is the form factor that SAAB want it in (albeit at a smaller displacement).
Old 25-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #18
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Well there would be no surprise that the HFV6 is entertaining the turbo option, namely because that is the form factor that SAAB want it in (albeit at a smaller displacement).
Oohh great, the return of the 'fooly sick' factor introduced in the VL Commodore.

A Holden I definitely despise! There's enough heroes/hoons in their Nissan Skylines popping the wastegate down my street driving at illegal speeds... not to mention the VN V8s.
Old 25-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #19
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Oohh great, the return of the 'fooly sick' factor introduced in the VL Commodore.

A Holden I definitely despise! There's enough heroes/hoons in their Nissan Skylines popping the wastegate down my street driving at illegal speeds... not to mention the VN V8s.
You and me both, but I would expect to see it eventually... perhaps nto with VE, perhaps so. I mean Holden/HSV just need to look at the success of the XR6T to see a market that they are not in. But then again HSV is a V8 company :
Old 25-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
I think people on these forums assign themselves as product development manager and just decide what these manufacturers will or wont do.
lol...
Old 25-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #21
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Personally it doesn't interest me in the slightest as I couldn't care less what Holden does. I'm happy in my Ford whether or not Holden has something faster or slower.

However I think it wold be a good move on their part as previously mentioned, the paranoia with petrol prices are starting to slow up the sales of large cars. The idea of a small 8 would be appealing.

From all accounts the VE is going to be a very good car but I still won't be buying one :
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
SSbaby
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
Personally it doesn't interest me in the slightest as I couldn't care less what Holden does. I'm happy in my Ford whether or not Holden has something faster or slower.
Ahh but you are interested, even in the negative context... otherwise you would have ignored the thread! :hihi:
Old 25-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #23
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Ahh but you are interested, even in the negative context... otherwise you would have ignored the thread! :hihi:
: : Touché!
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #24
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I think it would be a good ide for Holden. 238kw/463nm would be perfect for the base model V8. Give the SS a 250kw/480nm odd 5.3L donk and keep the 6 litre for HSV. All FPV would need then is a larger capacity engine unique to them.

As for the TT V6, Holden definately will get it. I would say at a guess that an SV6TT model will cop 250kw/450nm while a HSV version will get the 280kw/480nm version from the Torana concept.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #25
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
As for the TT V6, Holden definately will get it. I would say at a guess that an SV6TT model will cop 250kw/450nm while a HSV version will get the 280kw/480nm version from the Torana concept.
And what do you base that on?

FF
Old 25-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #26
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
id say theyd definatly offer something like an XR6t... not sure about a HSV version to go up against the F6... maybe down the track, i mean werent they (hsv) against the whole turbo 6 idea when fpv brought one out?

Last edited by aimzes; 25-09-2005 at 07:40 PM.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldnt see Holden adding another engine (5.3 Litre) to its line up, I think you will find its a given that the SS, SV8 and any other V8 will be the 6.0L Ls2 for the VE Range. HSV will more than likely up the power for its cars.

My reason for this is cost, its more cost effective and easier to manage/service fewer components the more components they can keep common the cheaper the cars or more to the point the better the bottom line.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #28
brendan24688

HSV is a privetly owned company, not owned buy Holden so it wont save holden any money (i don't think!)
brendan24688 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #29
Falcon Freak
Banned

Holden build the donor vehicles for HSV. ANY new model or additional engine variant will cost Holden money.

NB - Reason for capitals: I am not shouting, I am emphasising.

FF
Old 27-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #30
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
????? Toyota's new link doesn't work.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post