Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
aimzes
...fairly odd

Default camry - large or medium?

was reading a review of all different cars for sale in aus. its a year or two old, anyway a camry with a V6 is classed as a large car but a camry with a 4 cyl is classed as a medium. both are the newer shape so both are exactly the same size.

wtf?

is a I6 falcon considered to be smaller than a V8 falcon? no.

this is bs.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camry is considered to be a little large to be a true medium size, and the 4 cylinder is a little small to be included with the v6s of the large catergory.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
was reading a review of all different cars for sale in aus. its a year or two old, anyway a camry with a V6 is classed as a large car but a camry with a 4 cyl is classed as a medium. both are the newer shape so both are exactly the same size.

wtf?

is a I6 falcon considered to be smaller than a V8 falcon? no.

this is bs.
Going off on a tangent here. But why in the world does this bother you? Are you affected in anyway by the fact that the 4 cylinder camry was classed as a medium car in a sales chart? :
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

In the size department, the Camry should regarded as a large car regardless of what engine type it has. There seems to be a lot of inconsistancies regarding size and vehicle type when being represented by the media and other organisations.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Kryton

i can see where they are coming from. when you hear 'large car' you dont normally think of 4 cylinders.
IMO cars that are 'large' (like the camery, commodore, falcon etc) shouldnt come with a 4 cylinder engine. they should be left for small to medium sized cars.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
camry - large or medium?
Large please, with fries and a coke. Its all part of the Toyota Happy Meal.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Large please, with fries and a coke. Its all part of the Toyota Happy Meal.
If thats the case then Toyota should also add a free high caffine coffee to keep to you awake for when you're either viewing the exterior or interior of the Camry. And as for the driving experience - well you'd better order a shrink with that.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must stick up for Toyotas here - while they have no pulse, their bloody well built and reliable. Anyway, im sure there are other examples of car models crossing the medium/large barriers.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes a difference when you hire a 'large' car and you end up with a 4cyl Camry.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Going off on a tangent here. But why in the world does this bother you? Are you affected in anyway by the fact that the 4 cylinder camry was classed as a medium car in a sales chart?
i guess not, no... but it just seems odd to me. i was confused, i thought that perhaps someone could clear it up for me. is that ok?

Quote:
I must stick up for Toyotas here - while they have no pulse, their bloody well built and reliable.
yes and good on them... but whats that got to do with motor or whoever the article was done by puting one car in two categories. im not having a go at toyota here.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well both of the new Camry's should be classed the in large my opinion. Compared to the old 97-02 model they are much larger & uglier. The camry's actually have more rear legroom than my Avalon & a bigger boot.

I think Toyota likes having the 4cyl in the medium market cause they get to look like sales leaders (and therefore better in their opinion) compared to better niche products like Mazda 6 and Subaru Liberty.

As for driving experience they I think you need to come from an Morris Minor to be thrilled with a 4cyl Camry.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looking at V Facts - its also the same treatment for the Vectra and Sonata - the v6 versions are classified as large, the 4cyl as medium.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I dunno, the Camry's interior is pretty cramped for a large car. I guess the absurdly large boot takes buggers the inside a bit.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
I dunno, the Camry's interior is pretty cramped for a large car. I guess the absurdly large boot takes buggers the inside a bit.
going to stand up for camry here, the room inside in compareable very much to falcon/commodore/magna.. they stuffed up with the avalon as camry steped on its toes WAY too much and it suffered big time in sales, the 4cyl camry VVTI is not a bad thing and is just as quick as a VS commo 0-100 ( : )

V6 eats the VT/VY's for breakfast 145kw VS 152kw but FWD means less loss of power thru the drive train and lighter body ment for pritty good performance and for a V6 they are smooth and a manual Sportivo will go the qtr in a 15.7 not shabby at all :

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post