Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Undercover RTA Officers!

Well you wouldnt believe it but now even the RTA has gone undercover. Im sure youve all seen their white Inspectors Utes around with the maroon lights on the roof - I saw a Toyota Hilux on airbag suspension today get pulled over by an RTA Officer in a new Navara Ute.
The interesting thing was that the only thing this ute had on it were 2 red strobe lights built into the front bumper, where the foglights would normally be. The guy turned them on, the Hilux driver looked really confused but pulled over anyway, and out of the Navara hops an RTA Officer with his fluorescent Inspectors vest on, and proceeds to go over every last cm of the Hilux. Im pretty sure he was defected or something too (not sure what powers the RTA have to do this), but the Hilux owner was given a wad of papers that the RTA guy had written out as he was looking over the vehicle.

So if you own a fairly obviously modified vehicle, be careful!
Old 14-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

I never knew they patrolled the streets, I thought they just got referals from the coppers.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
The interesting thing was that the only thing this ute had on it were 2 red strobe lights built into the front bumper, where the foglights would normally be. The guy turned them on, the Hilux driver looked really confused but pulled over anyway
I would have just kept on driving, what can they do? call the cops to come pull you over?

All you would have to do is say you weren't sure who they were and you didnt feel safe pulling over.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
JBonDSS
Towie F150

Road Traffic Authority - I guess they would have the power to kick you off the road as start!!

There is a bunch in unmark VY exec, with internal lmaroon flashing lights, generally they go chasing trucks, tyres, log books, weights,

maybe the guy in the minitrucker got done for under weight rated tyres coz he ma have done to mags
JBonDSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonDSS
Road Traffic Authority - I guess they would have the power to kick you off the road as start!!
Not if you have twin turboes buddy lol. Seen it before.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
I would have just kept on driving, what can they do? call the cops to come pull you over?

All you would have to do is say you weren't sure who they were and you didnt feel safe pulling over.
Not the sort of guys you want to **** off.
Take the very worse traffic patrol police officer you can possibly think of.. you know the ones who thing all P platers should be shot on sight (I have only met one admittedly and that was socially..nice guy but hated P platers in hotted up cars to an irrational point). Then give him an attitude increase (massive hangover, wife cheating on him with best friend, severe case of jock itch..etc).

Now, put him in a bad mood and you have an RTA inspector. Basically, they are the Gestapo of the roads. No feelings, no compassion, no chance.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonDSS

There is a bunch in unmark VY exec, with internal lmaroon flashing lights, generally they go chasing trucks, tyres, log books, weights,

maybe the guy in the minitrucker got done for under weight rated tyres coz he ma have done to mags
I think what they would have been more interested in the fact that the **** end of this Hilux was about 3cm off the ground - theres a red one and a black one here and both have airbag suspension. This idiot has been driving round with it dangerously low for ages, my guess is he finally got caught for it.
Old 14-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Not the sort of guys you want to **** off.
Take the very worse traffic patrol police officer you can possibly think of.. you know the ones who thing all P platers should be shot on sight (I have only met one admittedly and that was socially..nice guy but hated P platers in hotted up cars to an irrational point). Then give him an attitude increase (massive hangover, wife cheating on him with best friend, severe case of jock itch..etc).

Now, put him in a bad mood and you have an RTA inspector. Basically, they are the Gestapo of the roads. No feelings, no compassion, no chance.
sounds like there is nothing to lose by ****ing them off... so just keep driving just keep driving and hopefully arrive home before the cops arrive to pull you over. What can they do then, not a thing.

Next door neighbour had rta inspectors turn up at his house to check his car over (they were checking all cars passed recently by a suspect servo) and the neighbour told them to **** off. They left and he never heard any more about it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
Next door neighbour had rta inspectors turn up at his house to check his car over (they were checking all cars passed recently by a suspect servo) and the neighbour told them to **** off. They left and he never heard any more about it.
mwahaha that'll be my angle if they ever turn up at my door.
Old 14-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky i dont attract RTA in my POS its in good order and mods are legal by the book all the way. But when i get my next car would be keen for a number plate saying "FARQRTA". But im gonna mod it legally and have all the paper work so i can shove it up them if they do pull me over.

Pretty sure you cant get defected if you have an engineers certificate so its good to have one of them.

Best way put all the money in the engine and less into blingn the outside up. I see more hotted up cars gettin pulled over than POS. If they were smart they would most probably make a lot more off defect pulling over POS IMO.
Old 14-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

They won't issue the plates because they are offensive. They wouldn't give me 'NOOKIE' for the same reason.

Casper is spot on with the RTA, and believe me they do have the power to pull you over and not stopping will NOT make your day any more plesant!
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

I sure as hell wouldn't pull over for an unmarked Nissan Navara flashing lights at me. I'd drive to the nearest cop shop if the person kept following me. The only unmarked cars with blue/red flashing lights I'd consider pulling up for are VZ Commodores and BA Falcons. I know 100% that police use those.. so.. yeah.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
LTD351

[QUOTE=MITCHAY] Pretty sure you cant get defected if you have an engineers certificate so its good to have one of them. QUOTE]

In theory you are correct but they have all the power in the world to defect you anyway, the real advantage of the eng cert is that getting the defect lifted is a piece of cake and for obtaining the initial roadworthy. The grey area is that you can never prove that all the engineered mods are the same as the cert is written for, it always comes down to the inspectors personal opinion regardless of what you have, they have the power to do basically anything if they think its unsafe in any way. If they want to "farq" you over, they will.

I was pulled over by RTA and handed a defect for the black rear tailights on my FD LTD even tho thats how they come from the factory, he didn't believe me and it took about 30minutes of arguing about it and he made a phone call then he agreed and took back the notice, he never apologized for wasting my time, he was a total ***** about it and clearly was unhappy with his job, the goverment should pay them more or something like that, make them a bit more cheerful so that they don't take out anger on others, or maybe thats the kinda people they want doing that job?
LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

What power do they have to pull you over? Is it a case of rent-a-cop mentality? I see them quite often on the M5 and have no problems overtaking them at uhm, a little over 110kph, but I suspect their aim on the M5 is to yank trucks off the road.

I know if one was flashing his lights behind me, I wouldn't bother pulling over for them.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
What power do they have to pull you over? Is it a case of rent-a-cop mentality? I see them quite often on the M5 and have no problems overtaking them at uhm, a little over 110kph, but I suspect their aim on the M5 is to yank trucks off the road.

I know if one was flashing his lights behind me, I wouldn't bother pulling over for them.
The cops have red and blue lights for a reason. The RTA inspectorsw don't, and for normal road users they have no authority to force you to pull over. Why do you think they normally go out with cops, the cops pull the truck over, the rta then do the inspection.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah unless i see red and blue lights i aint pulling over so they can waste my times. I think the whole idea of the RTA lights is so they stand out and can lessen the chance of someone running into when they have a lot of people pulled over. Its just a safety thing same as police. Yes the cops use their sirens and lights to pull you over but they keep the lights on for safety.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #17
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

The RTA have overall authority over every vehicle on the road. They aren't police, so they can't fine you for speeding or the like (as far as i'm aware) but they can and do have the authority to defect your car and by law you have to pull over if they signal you to do so.

If they are in an unmarked car with poor quality flashers then you could get away with driving to a police station for safety reasons, but expect them to be extremely angry about the delay and find twice as many defects.

If its a marked car and you fail to pull over I doubt you'd get away with it. Not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking it i'm afraid.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #18
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I once knew a w*nk%r who acquired a pair of red and blue lights (like the ones in the front of a police car) he drove a lancer GSR and he used the lights as an overtaking aid.
Frickin goose.

If I saw a Nissan Navara with flashing lights I wouldnt know what to make of it. In approaching the car, I might take the wheel brace........
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
The RTA have overall authority over every vehicle on the road. They aren't police, so they can't fine you for speeding or the like (as far as i'm aware) but they can and do have the authority to defect your car and by law you have to pull over if they signal you to do so.

If they are in an unmarked car with poor quality flashers then you could get away with driving to a police station for safety reasons, but expect them to be extremely angry about the delay and find twice as many defects.

If its a marked car and you fail to pull over I doubt you'd get away with it. Not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking it i'm afraid.
Exactly right, you're quite within your rights to not pull over but expect a LOT of trouble if you dont, even if you have good reason not to.
Old 14-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

RTA = #1 enemy.

(My old man nearly copped a $20,000 fine for being over loaded... not displaying class 3 signs ( flammable ) etc.. on his truck, but sweet talking his way out of it.)

Now for those that think that you can just ignore those purple lights flashing in your mirror, you are mistaken..
they have MORE authority than your average Police man/woman.
They dont often pull over sedans etc, but if they suspect them to be unroadworthy, or stupidly illegally modified then they will, and they will SCREW you royal!

:
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

I thought the RTA could only touch commercial vehicals. So the slimmy plastic cops can pull law abidding citizens over if they suspect your car of not being in roadworthy condition. Thats wrong.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
RTA = #1 enemy.

(My old man nearly copped a $20,000 fine for being over loaded... not displaying class 3 signs ( flammable ) etc.. on his truck, but sweet talking his way out of it.)

Now for those that think that you can just ignore those purple lights flashing in your mirror, you are mistaken..
they have MORE authority than your average Police man/woman.
They dont often pull over sedans etc, but if they suspect them to be unroadworthy, or stupidly illegally modified then they will, and they will SCREW you royal!

:
He should have been fined plain and simple. Driving overloaded is one thing but with DG's on board is plain stupidity.

And no the RTA do not have the power to pull a car/light vech over. And no they dont like it when you dont stop, expect to be met by Hw/P shortly after who do have the power to pull you over. Then the RTA will go over your car.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #23
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Now for those that think that you can just ignore those purple lights flashing in your mirror, you are mistaken..
they have MORE authority than your average Police man/woman."

I have it on good authority, even if there are blue and red lights, amber pink or freakin green, you don't have to pull over.
Nearest cop shop if you're unsure as to who is following you is what I've been told, especially after dark in deserted areas... .seen it happen.

Mind you, I'd probably not try it, I'm yet to have any issues with my car, but again if you're fluffin about, you're gonna get plucked.

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #24
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The unmarked RTA cars have the numberplate RTA-XXX.

Council inspectors (who have the same power as parking officers etc) also have semi marked/unmarked cars - usually to get truckies on weight restricted roads or parking. Warringah have a couple of silver commodore wagons running around with a maroon/amber strobe flasher on the dash and 2 spotlights with strobes on the front.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
And no the RTA do not have the power to pull a car/light vech over. And no they dont like it when you dont stop, expect to be met by Hw/P shortly after who do have the power to pull you over. Then the RTA will go over your car.
WRONG - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehic...-to-expect.pdf
Old 15-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #26
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
have another read, that is for heavy vehicles, and no one is disputing that the rta can pull them over
Old 15-06-2005, 01:11 AM   #27
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But these powers extend to all vehicles - have a look at defecting - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...97387/s26.html

Last edited by Dave_au; 15-06-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 15-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #28
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Several years ago (when I was young and dumb) I tried unsuccessfully to outrun an RTA guy trying to pull me over.

It was in Eastern Vic heading along well over the speed limit when I noticed this RTA guy pointing a radar at me. He then went for his car. I knew I was speeding and I'm busted. I thought "can he pull me over?" Then I thought "f*ck it, he's not a copper, what can he do?" The weather was clear, the road was a series of fast sweeping bends through bushland. A couple of K's further along over a rise was my turnoff down back roads. I knew if I made it to there he had 2 hopes of catching me so I went for it. I ended up getting stuck behind a caravan doing 80km. By the time I got around it I had to get over that rise before the RTA guy got a visual on me. I kept a close eye on my mirrors. I didn't make it, rolled off the accelerator and coasted down to 100km as if nothing was going on. He finally caught me and I pulled over.

I was polite and cheerful, he was a pretty good bloke. He explained they have the authority to pull over cars in addition to trucks but it's not a usual situation. He asked "Didn't you see me by the side of the road?" Of course I said "No, not at all". He then said it took 10km to catch me. I feigned surprise and dismay and apologised for putting him to all that trouble. He let me off with a warning but did take a good look at my front tyres (Yokohama A008's about 40% tread) which have a really wide slick type outside shoulder block. They can look like theyre scrubbed bald to the uninitiated. He was thinking about defecting my car because of that until I explained the tyre design.

This guy was alright. I should have gone a row of houses!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #29
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

The only things that make me pull over is the police, Fire brigade or an ammbo....or someone in real distress.......as far as i'm concerned....I'll give the RTA the bird and floor in 3rd if i have too. ...Bye Bye....

Cheers....
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 01:27 AM   #30
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98% of the time RTA inspectors are after heavy vehicles, you've got nothing to worry about unless they try and defect you or you've got a registration issue.