Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default crim sues hostages for not hiding him the world has really gone mad

this takes the cake
http://au.news.yahoo.com/odd/a/-/odd...-broke-promise

Quote:
Can there be no trust between a kidnapper and his hostages?
A man who held a Kansas couple hostage in their home while fleeing from authorities is suing them, claiming they broke an oral contract made when he promised them money in exchange for hiding him from police. The couple has asked a judge to dismiss the suit.
Jesse Dimmick of suburban Denver is serving an 11-year sentence after bursting into Jared and Lindsay Rowley's Topeka-area home in September 2009. He was wanted for questioning in the beating death of a Colorado man and a chase had begun in in Geary County.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Dimmick filed a breach of contract suit in Shawnee County District Court, in response to a suit the Rowleys filed in September seeking $75,000 from him for intruding in their home and causing emotional stress.
Dimmick contends he told the couple he was being chased by someone, most likely the police, who wanted to kill him.
"I, the defendant, asked the Rowleys to hide me because I feared for my life. I offered the Rowleys an unspecified amount of money which they agreed upon, therefore forging a legally binding oral contract," Dimmick said in his hand-written court documents. He wants $235,000, in part to pay for the hospital bills that resulted from him being shot by police when they arrested him.
Neighbours have said the couple fed Dimmick snacks and watched movies with him until he fell asleep and they were able to escape their home unharmed.
Dimmick was convicted in May 2010 of four felonies, including two counts of kidnapping. He was sentenced to 10 years and 11 months on those charges. He was later sent to a jail in Brighton, Colorado, where he is being held on eight charges, including murder, in connection of with the killing of Michael Curtis in September 2009. A preliminary hearing originally scheduled for December 6 has been rescheduled for April 12. No plea has been entered in the case.
Robert E. Keeshan, an attorney for the Rowleys, filed a motion denying there was a contract, but said if there was it would not have been binding anyway.
"In order for parties to form a binding contract, there must be a meeting of the minds on all essential terms, including and most specifically, an agreement on the price," he wrote.
Keeshan said the contract also would have been invalid because the couple agreed to let Dimmick in the home only because they knew he had a knife and suspected he might have a gun.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: crim sues hostages for not hiding him the world has really gone mad

Jack's been holding me hostage for 25yrs...he has a binding contract apparently...a marriage licence!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the first rules for contracts (in the US at least) is that they cannot involve any kind of criminal act. Another rule is that a contract cannot be entered to under duress. He's got the right to file the suit but he's also got the right to have it laughed out of court and ordered to pay the couples' legal fees.

If this couple plays it right they could also file a suit against him. Even though he is a miserable jobless bottom-feeder, if they win the judgment they can sell it to a collection agency who will hound him for the rest of his worthless life. Every time he obtains any asset, the collection agency will show up to take it away as payment. Making it impossible for him to ever have a car, a house, a credit card, any government benefits, or a full paycheque.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The world hasnt gone mad.... just because he is trying to sue his hostages means HE is mad.

You can only come back and say the world is mad if and when he wins....

You can sue for anything you want, doesnt mean it will make it to court or that you can actually win the case

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

It's the US, no harm in trying......you just never know over there.........

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A contract will be rendered null and void if it is agreed upon under any form of duress.

I doubt he gave them any option and there was any money involved.

It was probably more like 'if you hide me I won't kill you!'
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not 1 April..
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post