Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hopes rise of new XR8

Quote:
Ford aims to win back V8 fans who opted for Holden, writes Toby Hagon.

Ford's hairy-chested XR8 Falcon is not dead yet, the company says. The model has been in limbo since last June, when production ceased after its 5.4-litre V8 fell victim to tougher emissions laws.

But it could return early next year in more than one guise, aimed at swinging V8 voters who have switched allegiance to Holden.

At the moment, Ford's performance arm, FPV, has the mortgage on V8 Falcons with its 5.0-litre supercharged GS, GT and GT-P sedans, which start from $56,990 plus on-road and dealer costs.
Advertisement: Story continues below

But that leaves Holden's V8 SS Commodore unchallenged as the cheap entry point to a local V8 muscle car. It sells from $47,790.

Ford Australia vice-president of marketing, sales and service, Beth Donovan, is adamant the project to revive the XR8 nameplate won't go ahead unless the car is ''more than competitive''.

The car was originally scheduled to make a return before the end of this year but that looks unlikely.

Donovan's comments are in line with those from recently replaced Ford Australia president Marin Burela, who last year said there was something ''exciting'' in line for a new-generation Falcon XR8 and that ''we are going to be bringing to the table more than we ever have''.

''If you're going to do it, it's got to be competitive,'' Donovan says.

Ford's marketing boss says any Falcon XR8 revival will involve out-muscling the Commodore SS and SS-V, which dominate the entry-level V8 performance segment.

Almost one in four Commodores sold is fitted with a 6.0-litre V8 engine, with most of those the sportier SS and SS-V models that come with more overt styling.

Donovan says there is still a lucrative set of buyers who only want an affordable rear-drive V8 performance car, something Ford doesn't offer, instead relying on its XR6 Turbo that uses a six-cylinder.

''We've got to figure out what those customers want,'' she says. ''You've got to make sure it's going to be competitive and then you've got to target them, give them what they want.''

An appropriate V8 noise, above-average performance and muscular styling are top of the wish list.

But Donovan suggests the project hasn't been signed off and if it isn't up to scratch, it will not go ahead.

''We're still looking at who are the buyers; what's it going to take?'' she says.

Donovan acknowledges that some Ford buyers have deserted the brand for a Holden and there would have to be a concerted effort to tempt buyers back into the Ford family.

She will not speculate on whether the V8 engine that would be used in the XR8 - it would need more power than the rival Commodore SS but less than the FPV GS, suggesting something about 300kW - would make it into other vehicles in the Falcon range.

However, she doesn't rule out using the Titanium badge - used on other Fords, such as the Territory and Mondeo - on a version of the Falcon, something that would sit nicely with a V8 under the bonnet.

The current flagship Falcon is the luxurious G6E.
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...415-1dgrd.html

I find the part about the V8 being used in other vehicles interesting, does that mean we could see a G8E next year sometime? Hopefully it's not too little too late reintroducing the XR8 to Ford's lineup.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!

Last edited by GavL; 17-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hopes rise of new XR8

Ford Au put a new definition to f.ing around.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting dumping the stupid G6E name, Titanium will get the gig at FGII.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Looking at last months sales figures for Commodore and Falcon i would be surprised too see much more from Ford with the Falcon. They still have the new LPG and the Ecoboost 4 cyclinder to come but if this does not lift sales than i think that they might have missed the boat. No matter how many advances they make, if people have gone off the Falcon and big cars than it will not matter. Maybe the AU Falcon pushed Ford buyes to other brands and they have never returned. It is hard to get a customer back once they buy something else and are really happy with that brand. A friend of our has had falcons for 40 years and just brought a Hyundai Sante Fa Diesel. He loves it and said it is the best car he has owned and uses half the fuel the Falcon did. How do you continue to spend double the money to develop new Falcon than you did 10 years ago while selling half the amount you did 10 years ago. Only one way and it will be with global engines, suspension and floor pans to cut cost. FG might well be the last truely Aussie Falcon, which in my eyes is the best we could hope for considering the other option is no Falcon at all.
Old 17-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ford is getting out of control with all the Name changes. The very few people who did know what a G6E was now have to explain another name which means nothing. If they had some balls they would correct the name back to Fairmont Ghia and get back some buyer awarness and street cred.
Old 17-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
Ford is getting out of control with all the Name changes. The very few people who did know what a G6E was now have to explain another name which means nothing. If they had some balls they would correct the name back to Fairmont Ghia and get back some buyer awarness and street cred.
Here here. I am a Fairmont Ghia man always have been it's a name that is close to my heart. Some of my best memories
have been behind the wheel of a Fairmont Ghia as my cars have always been a major part of my life.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Heck, go the whole hog and have XR, Zetec (G6), Titanium (G6E) and Econetic (XT) for better distinction
Give the luxury and base Falcons more distinctive corporate names and watch the difference
in buyer perception change, we need four nice distinctive noses that differentiate the
cars from each other without making the lower series look unattractive and unloved.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Heck, go the whole hog and have XR, Zetec (G6), Titanium (G6E) and Econetic (XT) for better distinction
Give the luxury and base Falcons more distinctive corporate names and watch the difference
in buyer perception change, we need four nice distinctive noses that differentiate the
cars from each other without making the lower series look unattractive and unloved.

I like the idea of Zetec on Falcon, I think it would work really well on Territory... TS is a bit bleh.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I like the idea of Zetec on Falcon, I think it would work really well on Territory... TS is a bit bleh.
yes, the whole naming system needs a refresh, letter code don't do justice to the models,
this is all about changing perception of buyers that these vehicles are tailor made to them.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
xp_ute

bring 'em back i say

fairmont ghia is easily recognised as the fancy falcon.. not g6e
xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes, the whole naming system needs a refresh, letter code don't do justice to the models,
this is all about changing perception of buyers that these vehicles are tailor made to them.
Exactly right, it gives a little prestige with the models, doesnt sound like you have bought a base model, the letter codes always make mass produced cars sound like rental/fleet povo pack specials. Look at Toyota the base model Corolla is an Ascent, base model Camry is Altise. Sounds better than Corolla XT or Camry GL....
Old 17-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

One in four commies a v8.....how could anyone say that the segment is dead or that it's not worth pursuing! The sales fell because the car (read engine) was not what the market wanted.

Although ford have been working overtime it seems with fluff talk lately.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
One in four commies a v8.....how could anyone say that the segment is dead or that it's not worth pursuing! The sales fell because the car (read engine) was not what the market wanted.

Although ford have been working overtime it seems with fluff talk lately.

That statistic never ceases to surpise me. Makes a Titianium 5-Oh even more possible..
Old 17-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After all this time they still don't have a timeline for a release if at all. just that it could be next year.

Well if they are going to leave it another 8 months or more, they may as well forget about it all together.After speaking to a Dealer Principal about the very subject of when models are going to be released and then being delayed, all I can say is that if the dealers are exacerbated with Ford them what hope has the general punter got.

I had put off the purchase of buying an alternate car to a Ford, in the faint hope that the XR8 may have come about this year. Looks like I won't be buying one now!
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh !! If they havn't WORKED it out by now ???
They NEVER will !!!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Sheesh !! If they havn't WORKED it out by now ???
They NEVER will !!!!!
And to think that there is another thread asking the question asking. "Are we being to harsh and critical of Ford Australia".

Well when you get reports like this it isn't hard to be critical of one of the most inept management teams in the Australian automotive industry for quite some time.

It seems they have no idea
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #17
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I'm assuming the introduction of Zetec, Titanium etc would be so you don't have a G4 & G6, G4E & G6E. Would simplify the naming conventions.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I'm assuming the introduction of Zetec, Titanium etc would be so you don't have a G4 & G6, G4E & G6E. Would simplify the naming conventions.
Good point!
Old 18-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fairmont Ghia needs to come back but Titanium is much better than G6E,
Really, who knows what a G6E is ??????? MAYBE the FG2 will have a G8E and I can buy Fairmont Ghia badges and rebadge it?????? Then I won't have to buy a Calais V, later this year???????
Old 18-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Fairmont Ghia needs to come back but Titanium is much better than G6E,
Really, who knows what a G6E is ??????? MAYBE the FG2 will have a G8E and I can buy Fairmont Ghia badges and rebadge it?????? Then I won't have to buy a Calais V, later this year???????

Old 18-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That someones car? or photoshop? nice!!! Ford, take notice!!!!
Old 18-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
An appropriate V8 noise, above-average performance...
Come on Ford.. 'above average'. I certainly wouldn't be looking for above average performance in a V8 sedan.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m not a fan of changeing names all the time, the way i see it people are essentially lazy, and many can`t be stuffed doing homework on 20 different tiers of models and will probably go with what they know, by all means bring the xr8 back with a bit more highlights on the interior.....no more gadgets , just classy it up a bit , any of the coyote/ miami power units would be a winner in the xr8 imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Come on Ford.. 'above average'. I certainly wouldn't be looking for above average performance in a V8 sedan.
are you being sarcastic? we could probably rip the coyote/miami out and put a 253 in it if you want ........i think i`d like th better performing model myself(not the 253).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #25
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Ford Australia. Digging it's own grave day by day. Can't decide what name to use and dump, can't decide whether to keep xr8 or lose it, can't advertise to save themselves, late with new models and engines, always BEHIND!
Old 18-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #26
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
are you being sarcastic? we could probably rip the coyote/miami out and put a 253 in it if you want ........i think i`d like th better performing model myself(not the 253).
I meant that 'above average' is inadequate, or doesnt sound real convincing. Mindblowing, exhilarating would be a better word. Above average would describe Fords N/A i6 engine, or that 3valve V8 the BA/BF Ghias could be optioned with.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Its more than just what one badge means on one individual car. Park a Mondeo Titanium, Territory Titanium and Falcon Titanium next to each other in the dealership and buyers will get the damn picture!
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taken from another website......

Beth Donovan is the Vice President, Marketing, Sales and Service, for Ford of Australia and a member of the Australian Operating Committee. She was appointed to this position in September 2008.

Now I know this will raise a hornets nest, but I would suggest that Ford's marketing went down hill around the time of FG release, and what do you know, that is when Beth scored her job. If Falcon sales are at an all time low then people like her need to take a long hard look at themselves and their worth to the company. People are about to lose their job because Ford could not organize a **** up in a brewery............
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #29
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Econetic (XT)
Surely the XT (as a model) will be dead soon?

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #30
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Surely the XT (as a model) will be dead soon?
Dont taxi sales nationally prop it up?
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post