Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Were you pig headed as a kid?

Unless you are the parent of a teenager, you probably wouldn’t get this. I have to go back to my teenage days to see if I was pig headed like my son is at the moment.

We all know that the EA series was a low point in the history of falcons, BUT if you are given a one owner EA, with 147,000kms with working Air cond, power steering 3.9 multipoint, new gas system, and close to mint condition, because it was ALWAYS garaged , you would think they would show some appreciation….

Well he visited me a week ago in his new ‘toy’. He ditched the EA, to trade up to a …….wait for it….1985 daihatsui charge 3 cyl *******. It has rust holding the roof on. it has no AIR filter on the engine….but his mate said he always drove it without an airfilter….so that’s gotta be ok then. He has no intention of fitting one despite my repeated hammering to him, on the subject. Also the CV joints are clicking away furiously…

The only reason he got, it is because its a manual and he wants to learn how to drive a a manual, so when he is older he can be ready for his worked TURBO XR6.

Someone tell me that they have the same teenage crap to deal with.

FG XR6 (son)
Old 19-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

kids are silly but must make their own mistakes i guess..

I have a 2 year old and hope he will be better than i was when he is a teen.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 19-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm probably not much older than your son, but if I gave someone a decent car and they showed ingratitude like that, I'd be pretty cheesed off. Why anyone would do that I don't understand. That being said, when I got my licence, my dad wouldn't leave me alone when it came to choosing a car. He was gonna find one for me etc, but the thought of him rocking up in a 1992 Commodore and handing me the keys mortified me.
Old 19-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let them make their own mistakes and then when it comes time to bail them out you need to work together for them to pay for their mistake (if money is whats required) we've all been youung and stupid, why only yesterday I LOL

but you get my point

kids all want manuals why I have know idea but for some reason they all need to play with a sitck I would have thought a tidy EA would have been worth more than a 85 Charade but its his mistake to make

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 19-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

We need a smilie with a kid being smacked over the back of the head. Facepalm just doesnt quite cut it.

Im sorry, but I think your kid is all kinds of nuts. This is what EA bashing gets us.
Old 19-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
sleek7

Some kids dont like the hammy-down situation. They want their own car that hasn't been used in the family before and is different to what the parents own, or because they're not a big fan of what they will receive.
And then there are some who dont mind it all, like my mate who was happy to pay out his old man $5k for the family VS Berlina back when he was 18.
By the sounds of it, you have the first type.
Dont be too rough on him, by the sounds of it he wants to drive something different to what the family has.
But as for being too ignorant to even put a filter on the intake?....well, some things I guess you just have to learn the hard way.
Old 19-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta learn by their own mistakes unfortuantely.

Least he will bin the chaz rather than the EA?

Then maybe once he gets over the sillyness of manual he can do a manual conversion on the EA?
Old 19-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
Unless you are the parent of a teenager, you probably wouldn’t get this. I have to go back to my teenage days to see if I was pig headed like my son is at the moment.

We all know that the EA series was a low point in the history of falcons, BUT if you are given a one owner EA, with 147,000kms with working Air cond, power steering 3.9 multipoint, new gas system, and close to mint condition, because it was ALWAYS garaged , you would think they would show some appreciation….

Well he visited me a week ago in his new ‘toy’. He ditched the EA, to trade up to a …….wait for it….1985 daihatsui charge 3 cyl *******. It has rust holding the roof on. it has no AIR filter on the engine….but his mate said he always drove it without an airfilter….so that’s gotta be ok then. He has no intention of fitting one despite my repeated hammering to him, on the subject. Also the CV joints are clicking away furiously…

The only reason he got, it is because its a manual and he wants to learn how to drive a a manual, so when he is older he can be ready for his worked TURBO XR6.

Someone tell me that they have the same teenage crap to deal with.
I hate to ruin your day but the keyword is "given".

Unfortunately at this time our society is set up so you can get anything NOW and pay it off in 1000 years and most things have a life cycle of about 20 minutes before the begger better gooder one is released.

All people under the age of about 30 have only ever experienced life like this and therefore do not understand any other way.

In fact if this is ever mentioned it tends to create rather strong reactions and a tendency to blame everyone and everything else.

Let him buy what he wants using his own money and learn the hard way.

Just make sure you are not being a "helicopter" hovering around in case they need to be "rescued".
Old 19-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

OMG..I've not long ago turned 20 and done a few dumb things but you learn from your mistakes.. BUT trade in a tidy one owner falcon for a charade WHYYYYYY??? he will be kicking himslef in a few years time for it.

Bit different but I once traded my RM 125 that had race forks, lighter rims, rebuilt and modded motor, full polished pro circuit pipes etc you get the idea. I traded it for a VN commodore that broke down and was a headache after having it for a week. I still kick myself for doing it :-(

My only other mistake I kick myself over is selling my pride and joy XF panelvan which was my first road car. It was lowered, shaved with a respray, extractors and sporty, mags, tint, big stereo and I full done the back of it up. I had it since i was 15 and sold it when i was 17 because it had run out of rego and had a small bit of rust under a side window and top of the pillar. I sold it for next to nothing to a mates parents who only ripped the diff out to put in their crappy run down EB wagon and sold off the van. If I knew then what I know now i would of fixed the tiny bit of rust in it and got it registered again then built up a solid xflow for it... ARRRRGH THE PAIN OF THINKING ABOUT IT! I have promised myself to buy another pano and do it up one day to make myself feel better :-(

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 19-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
dannyxm
was danny888

I think this is the time to really support your son help him deal with his sexuality and accept that he is homosexual.

JK!!!!!!!!!

Kids eh? What can you do?

Would have thought running around town in the Falcon, with ample room for him and 4 mates would be more appealing than a little 3 Cyl.

Must drives you bananas seeing it in the driveway.

We all regret selling a car or two, unfortulatly your son will join that que in time.

If it makes you feel better, before i was born (im 30) my mum traded her XW Futura for a 180B.

Her brother still gives her grief for it.

Last edited by dannyxm; 19-01-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 19-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does it could as being pig-headed if I'm always right?

But in all seriousness I would say that his refusal to believe that he needs an air filter is disrespectful. He is basing his opinion on the situation on a friend of his (a friend who probably learnt that it "didn't need" an air filter due to poor maintenance) rather than your opinion on the matter, even though you obviously have the knowledge.

As long as you KNOW you are right then you should definitely share you advice and criticisms. If you are unsure whether you are right or not, then play it safe and don't. Otherwise you'll be a bit like my dad:

Quote:
Me: I reckon I'll get SSLs on the back and SLs on the front, that'll make the BA sit level
Dad: That won't make it sit level at all.
Me: But a couple of guys on FordForums sai--
Dad: Nope, not a chance.
Me:
Old 19-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Red face

Mate your not alone there, mine have no regard for anyone but themselves (it doesn't help when their mother doesn't know how to say NO! )

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 19-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To answer your question yeah i was pig headed as a kid always right , and i must admit still can be at times . But one thing i was not was a complete fool .

But there always a positive in every story there is some champion out there that swapped a rusty daihatsui for what sounds like a nice ea .
Old 19-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think your son is pig headed, just stupid. You can laugh when the shitebox blows up :
Old 19-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
Mate your not alone there, mine have no regard for anyone but themselves (it doesn't help when their mother doesn't know how to say NO! )

Bet you where glad there mother didn't no when you were doing the deed that made them .
Old 19-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Wow i would have loved that EA....

A year ago (when i was 17) i was trying to get the parents to lend me hand ($$) with a car...they told me get a job haha. I was forced to buy my own car and i was trying to get full ownership of the AU but we ended up trading that unfortunatly.

Bottom line is (imo), unless they earn it, they wont really care. If i was given the AU i'd bloody enjoy it, even if it was auto. Manual seems to make you automatically cool these days...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 19-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Manual seems to make you automatically cool these days...

I would say that learning a manual means young guys can jump into a mates car and drive it with very little adjustment. Would look rather queer if you couldn't drive your drunk mate and some girls home because his car was a manual.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
pulpist
nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
We need a smilie with a kid being smacked over the back of the head. Facepalm just doesnt quite cut it.

Im sorry, but I think your kid is all kinds of nuts. This is what EA bashing gets us.
Here ya go, take ya pick

Old 19-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I would say that learning a manual means young guys can jump into a mates car and drive it with very little adjustment. Would look rather queer if you couldn't drive your drunk mate and some girls home because his car was a manual.
Not how it seems round here....also people seem to just drive themselves home regardless.

But yes, i see your point.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 19-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
Were you pig headed as a kid?
Yes. My Dad was a brilliant guy and my opinion of him was that he knew EVERYTHING. Nothing he couldn't fix, build or do. He had an IQ in the 150's and had led a life littered with extraordinary experiences.....

But so often in my youth, I knew best. Dad didn't understand the bigger picture, or things are different these days so my opinion must be right....

He put good values into me and as I had basically had 3-4 jobs running consecutively from the age of 10 or 11, I did understand the value of a dollar, and I did understand the value of hard "and smart" work. My appreciation of these was punctuated when he and mum were bankrupted in 1990 and we lost the lot. One lesson I would have taught my dad is you should only be "so" honest sometimes.

My point is, I had a bloody clever dad [and mum], a place I knew I was loved and supported, I worked like a dog through my teens and had a great appreciation for the value of money....

Against some better judgement, I still bought a $22,000 Falcon when I was 17, I let the insurance lapse because "I'll get around to it", I had a crash and had to pay up for both parties repairs, I let my tax get away from me, I did lots and lots of stupid, dangerous and irresponsible things that were no fault at all of my parents.

The fact was, I was a kid. And kids do dumb **** all the time.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
bingoTE50
Steve

My kids are pretty good. 18 yr old son ,15 yr old daughter.
My son drives our Mazda 3 and an old 2.4 Hilux dual cab auto ,and does not complain about either.Whilst he is a car head,he knows that until he earns proper dough ,he has to make do with what he as available.
As for swapping an EA for a Charade ....wow I cannot fathom that ,maybe the Charade has some fantastic sound system I would guess ...this seems to the most important thing for many .
Old 19-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

Bottom line is (imo), unless they earn it, they wont really care. If i was given the AU i'd bloody enjoy it, even if it was auto. Manual seems to make you automatically cool these days...
That's very true. Most of my mates that got bought or given cars flog them to death. A mate of mine slinked his mum's immaculate VT off her - now he goes over speed humps at 60 km/h, floors it at every opportunity - even in the middle of winter when the car is stone cold,and is way too hard on the brakes (not unlike most Commo drivers ) . My mates that bought their own cars take good care of them and don't flog them because they understand the hard work that went into buying it.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #23
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I hate to ruin your day but the keyword is "given".
+1

Don't give anything to your children as most will not value or appreciate it as much as if they had to earn it.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah I was a little know-it-all back in the day. Bought 6 POS one after the other because I was too naive to save for 6 months and get something decent.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 19-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
I think this is the time to really support your son help him deal with his sexuality and accept that he is homosexual.

JK!!!!!!!!!
Hmm, funny, cuz most of the gay dudes I know drive High end Audi's, Beemer's, Renault Sports, VW's, Mercs etc. WHY? Because most are a superficial bunch and would never be seen dead in something like a Charade, OR a camry, OR a Mitsu Magna, etc...

A Daihatsu Charade 1985 model is for someone who just does not care at all about that with 4 wheels.. at all...

That said, they are a reliable and tough little bugger of a thing. Aunty had one for years clock ran over twice and died only when my cousin got it as a hand me down and he drove it without oil for months until the engine fell out....
Old 19-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Despite having to put up with my GenY stigma, I wouldve been VERY appreciative of being given a car as a teen. But IMO my parents did the right thing and made me go out and earn my own. To this day im glad they did. One of the many steps to learning responsibility.

Admittedly, it took me a while before learning the more efficient aspects of car purchase, but in my experience the hard way is the best way.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #27
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you tried beating him?
Old 19-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #28
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

far out.. ******** your son is...

Im 15 and if i got offered an EA with 177xxxkms on it in Immac condition with only one owner, i would snap it up and keep it looked after..
Old 19-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hmm...i'd just go round and slap his so called mate for ripping your son off and take back the EA!

BTW, i dont condone violence towards minors...incase you mis-interpreted me
Old 20-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #30
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
far out.. ******** your son is...

Im 15 and if i got offered an EA with 177xxxkms on it in Immac condition with only one owner, i would snap it up and keep it looked after..
I agree (im turning 20), i had to pay for my own car.

If i got an EA (or any Ford) GIVEN to me i would treat it like gold.

Sometimes i see older Falcons looking like a mess around the streets, and i just wonder what the cars life has been like, from its proudest moment brand new and rolling out to the dealership, to its decline, sitting on someones front lawn, grass engulfing it, sad really. For me its hard to understand how people cant have a passion for there car.
Closed Thread