Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Council gone too far banning tinkering on cars??

http://www.thereporter.com.au/story/...hocked-reside/

Quote:
AN afternoon spent tinkering with a car is a hobby many people indulge in.

But for Shane Arnold, this hobby nearly resulted in a fine of thousands of dollars.

The Heritage Park resident, who describes himself as a bit of a handy man, recently received a visit from a council employee who told him he could receive a fine between $2000 and $5000 for re-building a car in a shed on his property.

What's more, when Mr Arnold questioned the legislation, he was told it had been in place since 2006.

“I'm just speechless,” he said.

“It's getting beyond a joke.

“There would be thousands of people re-building cars in Logan.”

Mr Arnold said he was told that not only was he not allowed to build a car on his own premises, but beyond checking tyre pressure and windscreen wiper blades, car owners needed to either go to a mechanic, or move their cars to an industrial area and work on them there.

“I am sure no one knows (about this),” he said.

The Reporter contacted Logan City Council about this issue, and was told the council responds to complaints lodged by complainants, and in this instance it was made in relation to vehicle repairs as they do cause environmental issues such as noise and smell.

A Logan City Council spokesperson said the Logan City Planning Scheme 2006, table 3.2.11 stated development ensures that a motor vehicle is not repaired on the premises, unless the repairs are day-to-day maintenance, and the vehicle is owned by the occupier of the premises and is normally parked on the premises for their use.

“The use of the premises for an industrial use, namely vehicle repairs including panel beating, spray painting and repairs other than that of day to day maintenance is unlawful on a residential premise,” the spokesperson said.

“For day to day maintenance it is as detailed in any vehicle manual and is limited to checking oil, water, air and making minor repairs like changing a windscreen wiper or bulb to ensure the safe operation of a vehicle.”

The spokesperson said the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, which replaced the Integrated Planning Act 1997, has also empowered councils to issue penalty infringement notices (PIN) for specific offences as detailed in the Act.

“While council does not issue fines in the first instance, show cause or enforcement notice procedure is followed and there is a specific offence for failing to comply with an enforcement notice which provides for PIN amounts of $2000 for an individual or $10,000 for a corporation,” the spokesperson said.

“Council also has the provisions of Local Law 10 - Public Health which can also be used where there is a nuisance caused by the release of odours, gases fumes, particulates or other atmospheric pollutants to the atmosphere which has the potential to cause environmental harm or nuisance (Spray Painting), harm to human health, safety or personal injury, property damage or loss of amenity, where there is the potential for a $500 Penalty Infringement notice to be issued.

“However, council would expect that any reasonable person would comply with a direction from council, whether it be verbally or through the notice process, to ensure that the activity, is not affecting the neighbouring environment.”
Old 23-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

haha.

dear god :(
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Angry

Beyond belief....

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it time there will be a by law stateing no sex without a permit
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
give it time there will bw a by law stateing no sex without a permit
Some people actually need that.... as they are unfit to deal with the consequences.
Old 23-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Dam I was lucky. I was living in the Logan shire until January 2006. If I stayed I would have been in big trouble as I was fixing a XW sedan, 2x EA wagons, Subaru leone and an AU wagon.

But seriously who are they to say what a person can and cant do on there own property. I can understand if there was excessive fumes or the noise was too loud after a certain time or there was something leaking or had been left on the foot path or road but nothing more. If they want to ban tinkering with cars then why not fine people for working on motor bikes, lawn mowers, line trimers or chainsaws. Why do they still allow people to decorate there house or do landscaping?

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

meathead that lived next door to me thought revving the crap out of his POS VN on a sunday arvo was engine tuneup..... council loved finding out about his illegal carport extension.... hehe
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

i was dobbed in for working on my xr january this year, quick tidy up for my wedding.
inspector came and visited the week after , i was in bali on honeymoon.
he spoke to my inlaws that were staying here and he said i may be able to get a permit if i wanted to keep doing some work here and there.
he also questioned them about the 4 cars in the backyard, but he was told they were all mine, which they are.
i went to the council when i got home and was told that u cant work on your cars at home, no panel work, no painting and no mechanical... how rude of them!
at brighton

i was driving down prospect rd one day and drove through a cloud of paint fumes, a guy was spraying his landrover discovery on the front lawn, 2 pack too, i know the smell.
wonder if he got dobbed in?

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got my coucil rates in the mail - Increase of just over 25% on last years rates (combination of supposed increase in the value of my house and a rate increase) Good to see they have found a good use for all this extra revenue :(

About time Australia got rid of local councils all together we dont need three levels of government.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I think I can see where they are coming from, maybe a bit heavy handed for the average Joe who wants to do a bit of maintenance/repairs every now and then.

But at the other end of the scale, who wants to live next door to the procrastinator who has numerous wrecks rusting away and a property littered with old car parts.

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
About time Australia got rid of local councils all together we dont need three levels of government.
Should move to the act; at least they don't have local councils.

Last edited by rag top; 23-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

What's the world coming too?

Shame all those people out there with a hobby are breaking the law.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here in the US some cities have adopted a law that keeps you from having a tore apart car in front of your house. If you have a disassembled car it needs to be in the backyard, or be otherwise concealed most of the time, so that the neighborhood doesn't look like a run down place.

I can understand that one. Otherwise, I am not familiar with any other restrictions that keep you from working on your own cars.

As for the Logan City law, I wonder how the council would feel if the association of auto parts dealers (whatever the organization may be called) was made aware of this law, and the enforcement of it, and the impact that it will have on their businesses. Many people do their own repairs because it is too expensive for them to get them done in a shop. Some do it just to save the money. Parts stores will lose the home mechanic's business. I don't think they would like that.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Boosh Brus

My guess is the guy was just being inconsiderate to his neighbors i.e. revving the car with no exhaust, panel beating late into the night etc.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I just got my coucil rates in the mail - Increase of just over 25% on last years rates (combination of supposed increase in the value of my house and a rate increase) Good to see they have found a good use for all this extra revenue :(

Absolutely agree! The number of fat cats employed by them is scandalous Councils do stuff-all for the ratepayer as far as I can tell, except empty bins.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
satria
FOXWHO

This is 1 reason to become friends with neighbours! I understand though that some people whinge so much though it's ridiculous and this looks like a result of that unless this guy was making a serious raquet late into the nights.

How un-australian to tell a bloke what he can and can't do in his own shed!
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh Brus
My guess is the guy was just being inconsiderate to his neighbors i.e. revving the car with no exhaust, panel beating late into the night etc.
I agree. having been in this job before I/we used to get called out quite a lot about "backyard car repair businesses" where all it turned out to be is just some drongo doing up a car and is panel beating and making excessive noise late into the night on a regular basis.

Most people are pretty reasonable for a one-off or irregular disruption or event, but make a regular thing out of it and sooner or later someone is going to get the shits on. It helps being on good terms with your neighbours too.

That said, the clause in Logan Shire's local planning scheme is retarded. A person should be able to do whatever repairs they like to their own vehicle provided that it doesn't generate excessive noise and/or fumes. The way they state it is unreasonable and unworkable. Sounds like the do-gooders have infiltrated this Council.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 23-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Its Logan, the VC to VL wrekers capital of the world.
Old 23-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
XR8320
"You were amazing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
give it time there will be a by law stateing no sex without a permit

Already happens to me, can only have sex when my wife PERMITS me to
XR8320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Oh, and everyone's favourite Logan chitty councillor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_Ban
Old 23-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Its Logan, the VC to VL wrekers capital of the world.
Beat me to it, maybe they should afix their 'talents' to getting the cars that arent roadworthy off the road.
What a complete rort, who do these councils thnink they are, IMO i think they are trying to eliminate the car enthusiast.
Old 23-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Oh, and everyone's favourite Logan chitty councillor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_Ban
errr... thats some wierd **** going on there.....
Old 23-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr EL Venom
Dam I was lucky. I was living in the Logan shire until January 2006. If I stayed I would have been in big trouble as I was fixing a XW sedan, 2x EA wagons, Subaru leone and an AU wagon.

But seriously who are they to say what a person can and cant do on there own property. I can understand if there was excessive fumes or the noise was too loud after a certain time or there was something leaking or had been left on the foot path or road but nothing more. If they want to ban tinkering with cars then why not fine people for working on motor bikes, lawn mowers, line trimers or chainsaws. Why do they still allow people to decorate there house or do landscaping?
Under legal scrutiny many council bylaws wont stand up , I had this conversation with their inspector a while ago and he had been misinformed about some repair work by a malicious neighbour with an ulterior motive . I still feel the coucil is a vacant entity and needs to be abolished now as these days there is little reason for thier existence apart from nuisince value
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
errr... thats some wierd **** going on there.....
called botoxed silicone
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
called botoxed silicone
and leg extenders...
Old 23-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What next? No lawn mowers except for between the hours of 11:00am and 11:30am? No cars on the streets between 7pm and 7am? No dogs, no cats, no noise?
We truly are devolving at an increasing rate of knots for the cause of the elite and the nanny state.
I pity the fool who comes to my garage to fine me; he'll meet my torque wrench. I plan on doing all the torquing though.

Quote: