Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The First Car List

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2...afety-list.pdf

Safe car list released to help curb road toll

Antonia Magee
June 22, 2010 1:33PM

A LIST of the safest and most affordable cars for new drivers has been released to help parents and young drivers buy the best cars.

In an effort to reduce the road toll and the number of young drivers injured in road accidents, Roads Minister Tim Pallas released the list of the safest second hand cars under $15,000 today.

Late models of the Ford Focus, Volkswagen Golf, Holden Statesman and Mitsubishi Magna were among the 50 top-rating cars on VicRoads’ First Car List.

“Young people make up 13 per cent of drivers, but they account for around 25 per cent of all driver fatalities,” Mr Pallas said.

“The First Car List provides new drivers and their parents with the safety information required to make an informed decision when purchasing their first vehicle.”

The safest cars were based on research from the Monash University Accident Research Centre and the cars needed to score a four or five out of five on a ‘crashworthiness’ test to make the grade.

A car with a one star rating would significantly increase the risk of injury in an accident, while a car with a five-star rating would do significantly less harm to the occupants than average

MUARC researcher Dr Stuart Newstead said about 3 million accidents were reviewed as part of the research.

Dr Newstead said 60 per cent of car crashes were a young driver was killed or seriously injured could have been prevented if they were in a safer car.

The announcement came as Premier John Brumby flagged the possibility of a reduced probationary licence period for P-Platers who had completed defensive driving courses.

Mr Brumby said the proposal would give young drivers an incentive to invest in extra driver training.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Holden statesman? No offense to the list, but 99% of kids driving these things just drive more unsafely to compensate for any safety bonuses it might have...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I was looking at safety ratings on cars today, as our son is about to buy his own car.

I think they should introduce it as part of passing your licence. Your first car must have a high safety rating.

If they are not experienced drivers, at least have them in safer cars to help protect them and those who may be involved in accidents.
Old 22-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Seems that something Skaife said has actually filtered through to parliament.
Old 22-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Good idea, but 160kph into a tree is 160kph into a tree 6 or 0 airbags, i dont thi,nk it will matter those that will do something stupid will do someting stupid. Unfortunately just a fact of life. IMO
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think having a safer car will help with minor crashes, but the behaviour of many young people on the road will remain constant with some regardless of the vehicle.

I think driver training and education in this country is crap.

It appears to be too easy to a driving instructor in this country today.
I've seen instructors driving their own car. They don't indicate, they cut into your lane, they don't hold their lines, can't park, they speed etc. etc.

Instructors should undergo extremely rigourous training every so often to ensure that the quality of education they are providing is to a very high standard, rather than a close enough is good enough mentality, which is still better than the current, 'you were nowhere near good enough, but here's a license for the effort' one...:P

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The whole licensing system needs an overhaul going from P plate rules, to instructors and all the way to testers, there is way too much variables in the system, its bad enough that if you ask three different instructors the same question about the test and how you will be marked, they all have their own different answers, then the testers, they all mark you differently, depending on which tester and what run you're on.

People need to sit down and think things through from scratch.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I know that Neil Mitchell (3AW) was concerned that the Statesman and LTD were on the list (assumably in 6cyl form)...
I don't really see the big deal in P platers having large cars or small cars - providing that they fit within the power-to-weight restrictions...

But I do marvel at the price guide based on Redbook...
1999 Fairlane according to Redbook for privates are based on $4300 - $5900... with around 165-275km...
Thats all well and good...

So type in 99 Fairlane in carsales and see what you can find...
There was ONE car in Victoria that fit the criteria...
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...rlane&trecs=17

I think the list has merit - but the price guide is a little misleading...

But i agree with Big Damo - the whole thing needs to be sorted out... the kids are tought how to pass the test... not how to drive in real world situations...
Old 23-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0623-ywie.html

Quote:
Victorian car safety list not ‘well thought out’ STEVE COLQUHOUN
June 23, 2010 - 9:20AM

Despite pushing new cars to have the latest safety features, a controversial list backed by the Victorian Government recommends powerful vehicles lacking some potentially life-saving safety features.

Large limousine-style cars, powerful sports sedans and vehicles without the latest handling systems or airbags are being recommended to young drivers on a list of vehicles the state government says are the safest and cheapest they can buy.

The First Car List, launched yesterday by Victorian Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas, includes 12 small, 17 medium and 20 large cars.

The list features 23 European branded cars and many vehicles that would have appealed to older buyers, such as long luxury versions of the locally made Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore.

Most of the vehicles on the list do not have the latest stability control system – to help control a skid – which the Victorian Government encourages and says can reduce single vehicle crashes by 30 per cent.

Some don’t even have airbags, raising questions as to why newer, smaller vehicles with more advanced safety features were not included on the list.

However, all received either four or the maximum five stars according to crash safety ratings calculated by the Monash University Accident Research Centre – involving analysis of actual crashes - and all cost less than $14,000.

Holden’s long-wheelbase Statesman and Caprice models, as well as Ford’s Fairlane and LTD and Mercedes Benz’s S-Class, all feature in the list.

Late model Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon variants are also included, although P-platers are banned from driving V8 or turbocharged versions.

A 2006 Holden Commodore SV6 powered by a 3.6-litre V6 engine has 190kW of power and Santo Ammodio, the managing director of used car authority Glass’s Guide, said it was an example of a car that was too big and powerful for inexperienced drivers to handle.

‘‘This list wasn’t very well thought out, they could have eliminated the large cars and still come up with a good bunch of cars,’’ he said.

‘‘The government keeps telling us that speed kills, and this is a lot of power to put in the hands of young drivers. A medium-sized car such as a Toyota Camry has all the space and power any young driver should need.’’

Transport Accident Commission road safety manager Samantha Cockfield said while small cars were easier to handle, many young buyers gravitated towards larger cars.

‘‘We’re trying to be relatively practical about it,’’ she said. ‘‘Some young people, because of work or family commitments, or because of personal preference, are going to be choosing to buy a large car. We want to make sure if they’re going to do that they pick the one that is the safest and is going to protect them the most if a crash does occur.’’

Cars on the list range in price from an estimated $2000 for a 1984-92 Volvo 700 Series to the maximum $14,000 for a 2004-07 Volkswagen Golf.

The Ford Focus (2005-07) is rated the safest small car under $14,000, while the BMW 5-Series (1996-2003) leads the medium class and the Holden Statesman (1999-2003) is rated the safest large car.

Ms Cockfield said the list was designed for young people and their parents shopping for a first car. ‘‘We’re really trying to break down the perception that you have to drive an expensive new car to drive a safe car,’’ Ms Cockfield said.

Drivers aged 18 to 25 comprise just 13 per cent of drivers, but account for about 25 per cent of driver fatalities. A Monash University study estimates up to 60 per cent of incidents where young drivers were killed or seriously injured could have been prevented if they were driving a safer car of similar age to the one they were driving.

‘‘It’s important all drivers have the best safety advantages when they set out on the road, and safe driving practices will be boosted by driving a safer vehicle,’’ Mr Pallas said.
Old 23-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Holden statesman? No offense to the list, but 99% of kids driving these things just drive more unsafely to compensate for any safety bonuses it might have...
I can imagine a young girl who lives in a remote area and who does a lot of long-distance rural driving, that a WH Statesman/AU Fairlane is probably the best car for the money from a safety perspective.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the funny thing is that here in geelong there is a car yard that keeps heaps of the statie and his reason in his words were " I keep so many of them because the young hoons buy them " when it was a wight thing they bought the V8 now with no V8 they are buying the 6

i wonder what the laws will be in 10 yrs when my oldest child will go for their licence no 6 cyl i would guess but that is not the answer though

we need to train the younger generation that they are not invinsable that things can go wrong and quite often do ( wish i had the $$$ to set up a training place in every place that has a licence testing spot ) I am thinking a defencive driving set like on a skid pan as part of the driving test then every renewal every person should have to do a 20 min refresher .

Damo well posted mate it is great to see a younger guy sho responsability beyond your years

I'll stop now

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

FFS not everyone lives in the city, and not everyone wants to buy a camry... I dont know HOW a used car salesman was used as a credible person to put as a main oppinion in an arguement, KW doesnt = blistering power, its about power to weight which everyone seems to forget.

I had my NL fairlane when I was on my P's doing 15.3 and then a 14.6, no crashes here or loss of licance.. people really need to realise what they like, isnt want someone else likes or will it suit their situation.

starting to think they all want us to be MR/MRS smith, go to work, no life make money for gov, more that are alive = more TAX = happy gov. morons.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
starting to think they all want us to be MR/MRS smith, go to work, no life make money for gov, more that are alive = more TAX = happy gov. morons.
You're certainly not wrong, but it's been this way for a while, I'd say. The Government's always been that corrupt, hasn't it? Still, I'm glad to see someone else is saying this/thinking this, not that there wouldn't be a plethora of other individuals out there, rather than sheep, but as for the most part, many people just don't dwell on this because they don't see a point in living beyond that standard. Their lives lack substance and meaning to begin with and don't try to change any aspect of it.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Seems that something Skaife said has actually filtered through to parliament.
I doubt it, this would have been the result of a safety comittee that had been running for the last 6 or so years
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Did anyone watch sunrise this morning? They spoke about this topic.

The person that was being interviewed stated in the small car bracket she would choose a "ford focus" for a p plater. In the medium car bracket she said "a ford mondeo" she named another vehicle but i wasnt paying attention to that.
She then stated for the Large car segment "The BA falcon...or any everyday falcon that you might have in the family and can pass it down".

Good little free advertising for ford!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on my P's, and there's no way I could afford any of those cars on the list. Most people I know on their P's wouldn't be able to afford them either. BMW 5 series? You've gotta be joking. The sort of people who drive dangerously will drive dangerously in whatever car they've got, no amount of air bags will save someone driving 150km/h.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I bought a new small car, but only because my parents pushed me into it and are worried about my safety. Personally, I'd rather be behind something bigger as I noticed with all small cars, suspension is hard as a rock and on our crappy country roads, its a bit uncomfortable.

But I don't like the idea of them complaining about "too powerful" 6 cylinder cars, theres already a list of high powered 6 cylinder cars banned for P plates, we don't need that extended into a blanket ban.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
XXXR
Too Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
She then stated for the Large car segment "The BA falcon...or any everyday falcon that you might have in the family and can pass it down".

Good little free advertising for ford!
Whilst there was a pic of a bunky Magna on-screen...*CRINGE*
XXXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
R0BD0G
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I was looking at safety ratings on cars today, as our son is about to buy his own car.

I think they should introduce it as part of passing your licence. Your first car must have a high safety rating.

If they are not experienced drivers, at least have them in safer cars to help protect them and those who may be involved in accidents.

although i can understand and partly agree with your point. if this was the case there would be less of us young drivers on the road because hardly any of us can afford to buy a new car.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....4&page=1&pp=25
R0BD0G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
no offense, BUT! screw that, it is one of the most retarded things i've ever read on a forum.

safety ratings are all but pointless if you are doing 90+ and hit a poll or other stationary object...

My first car was a Nissan Pulsar N13 shape...and i wouldn't have it any other way, i've got an EF Ghia as well now, but i love driving the pulsar more, and whilst im still on my P's i've gone and gotten another old car (1984 Bluebird TRX) these cars are rated Death Traps on safety ratings...

It's all well and good saying P-platers should have safer cars, but whats the point of having a safer car if you can't drive properly and don't know control (self control and other forms)

They've taken a step in the right direction, but it's still way off the mark if they want to lower the young age driver death numbers.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
Jesk
certified nutter

my first car was a 3 cylinder suzuki (probably wouldnt even get 1 star these days), I did stupid things in it sure, no electronic driving aids helps you learn your actual ability to drive and know how you car will behave, not just thinking you are a hero cos all the driving aids keep you on the road, so when you push past all those parameters being an idiot a much more major accident ensues. I'm all for new drivers having all the safety devices that help save you in an accident, but I think all the electric driving aids are dumbing down driving ability.
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I can imagine a young girl who lives in a remote area and who does a lot of long-distance rural driving, that a WH Statesman/AU Fairlane is probably the best car for the money from a safety perspective.
Very good point, and indeed a larger sturdier car is required for rural commute.
But I daily see P plater kids in statesmans just belting around. Speeding etc. I don't create the stereotype, I see them. And the statesman that is 10-15 years old is usually(I stress this word) driven by a young bloke with a heavy foot.
Cars like the Fairlane I rarely see(lower build numbers?) driven by young blokes. Mostly older gents have them, that being said I think it would be a great car for a first car.
My point is that I think the statesman is a safe car-in the right hands. And i see it, more and more, in the wrong hands.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #23
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
I'm on my P's, and there's no way I could afford any of those cars on the list. Most people I know on their P's wouldn't be able to afford them either. BMW 5 series? You've gotta be joking. The sort of people who drive dangerously will drive dangerously in whatever car they've got, no amount of air bags will save someone driving 150km/h.
The Mondeo was $2900...you cant afford that? Safety for the price was the reason I bought the Mondeo when my daughter was born. It wasa case of having to travel with her in a Mondeo or an original Mini.

People arguing about driving up a tree at 150 are missing the point. I agree that a tree will win any fight at those speeds, but accidents happen at slower speeds too. An accident at 60 in a Mondeo / Focus / Golf is not going to have the same effects as an accident at the same speed in a Mini, Escort or Beetle. The safer cars may be the difference between life and death at 80.

For once people are trying to do the right thing regards road safety, as opposed to using it as an excuse for revenue raising, and they get slammed for it. Damned if they do, damned if they dont.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post