Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
CODSASR

Default Is going to Fowls/Pickles worth it

Looking at buying a BA wagon and was just wondering what everyones thoughts where.

Is it worth buying from the auctions, I have not been for years so not sure what BA's are going for.

Is it worth going to Fowls/Pickles or are the prices at the moment the same as buying from a yard?

CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Well I reckon it is, I've bought my last two 'decent' cars from Fowles and saved thousands. That was from government fleet auctions though, not repo's or general car auctions where the cars are generally older.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Auctions are good, if you are good. If you're not good at spotting bargains and knowing when to stop, avoid.

But, if you know your pricing, and can be quick and smart enough, you can get a bargain. As said above, go for the ex govt ones still in warranty if at all possible. The only problem is, you buy it as is, so if you don't know what you are looking for, it can bite you hard, hence the importance of factory warranty.

Go down and watch a few, and find a couple of cars you like. Bid if you like, but don't get carried away. It can be very enjoyable, and you can walk away with a steal. But remember to factor in the costs (something like 11% of the auction value as a fee, then $400 if the car is a certain age, and then another couple of fees, something like $88 and $44).
Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I went to the Auction's last Wed for the 1st time in my life, I would buy a vehicle from there, they seemed to be very good prices, you just have to have a good look over the vehicle prior to auction and ask alot of question's about the vehicle you are interested in before hand, some of the people that work there will be very helpfull and might tell a little about the vehicle, other's won't, but ask if the vehicle has a set of key's or in some cases two, and check for a spare tyre.
As they are about to auction the vehicle, this is the only time you can see/hear the vehicle running, you can stand near it and listen for any unwanted noise's.
But if you find a vehicle you like, let the bidding war begin, set your limit's but they are very reasonably cheaper than what you will find in a yard, as this is all that the dealer's do, they go to the auction's and buy and then mark them up on their lot, why not cut them out of the game...
Even if the vehicle is passed in and you were the last/highest bidder, you have the option to rise to meet the vendor's set price.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I've been helping a mate search for a BF, and so far the auctions have been alot cheaper. I found that alot of car yards are offering BAs for BF auction prices - but I'm talking XRs here, not sure on wagons.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
CODSASR

well I have been looking at BA wagons in yards and there priced between $9000-$13000 but from what I have been told you can pick up a decent one for half that price.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Been to a few auctions in the last 12 months. Seems to be more people bidding on line now than going to the actual auction. Go to one of the auctions and have a look for yourself. There has been some really good buys in the last couple I went to........
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
XR8AU2121

For a start you can check the pre-auction fixed price at www.pickles.com.au and on the weekends at www.manheimfowles.com.au. If you take off 10% that will be pretty much the final auction price. Also all Manheimfowles vehicles Australia wide are progressivly listed on www.governmentauctions.com.au with either their fixed price or an auction guide. The actual auction price is closer to the lower price indication.
You can also watch ANY Pickles auction in Australia live by logging on to their website and registering as "AN OBSERVER" after downloading a one off application with takes about 30 seconds to load.
For Government vehicles in NSW the Admin fee is $300 at Manheimfowles and about $380 at Pickles. The fees are clearly indicated for each auction type on the website.
For the record every vehicle I have bought in the last 35 years has come from the NSW Government/Council auctions at either the old Christies, Auto Group, Pickles or Manheimfowles. They have all had between 12 and 18 months factory warranty left and I have never had a problem with any of them. My youngest daughter still drives a 2000 Magna Advance I bought in 2001 with 35,000k (now 160,000k) with nothing but normal servicing, in fact it had never had a warranty claim.
My oldest daughter and her partner bought a BMW 320i from Pickles Prestige auction for a lot less than a dealer and have had no problems whatsoever.
My XR8 is an Ex-HWY Patrol and is still going strong. My wife has an ex-government 2008 Mazda 6 with no warranty claims to date.
So I am a fan of Government auctions in particular. Why pay the Dealers mark up. Thats where they get the majority of their stock from.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Spot on. My Dad bought the family cars from Government auctions for years. They used to be mainly the poverty packs but he never had any trouble with any of them. And anyway, whats wrong with vinyl seats !!!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

For a car that is between 6 to 24 months old, buy a exfleet from auction.
Or buy same car from dealer for $3 - 5000 more
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your patient, you'll pick up a BA/wagon for around $5k pretty easy.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
McLovin'
"The Irish R&B singer"

Compared to most dealers, you bet your **** its better!

Occasionally, at least with Pickles, they put a few fixed price models out the front. Its a bit less risky than auction because the car then gets covered by dealer warranty, but the prices are so much better than any regular dealer.

They concentrate on auctions so you dont get greasy sales guys trying to start a conversation with you every 2 seconds, there is no barganing on price either which I found is actually a good thing because it removes alot of the uncertainty from the transaction. Not being able to test drive is a real negative but I must have spent 2 hours all up fiddling with my car before i bought it.

I paid $15,600 total in 08 for my 06 BF XR6 (full log book, 80,000kms, 4 months rego, and still under factory warranty) and everyone keeps telling me it was a great deal.

(I'm sellling up to so the falcons posted in the car sale section if your in the market)

Last edited by McLovin'; 09-06-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: also...
McLovin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Had a friend pick up a BA2 Futura with 300,000km on the clock (reps car)...

$3000.00....

Not bad... better lookin than a taxi... and for running around town... cheap transport!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
efxr8envy

sure is, i was just there this morning good cars cheap as hell if you know alittle about cars you are fine. forced 6 full optioned with 99 on the clock 2004 went for $16500 with reg......
efxr8envy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
CODSASR

WOuld anybody know the average price that ba-bf wagons are going for at the auctions? I am guessing theres usualy at least a few wagons each week.

I missed out on going to pickles yesterday and fowls today although thinking i should go to the hail damage one this week end dunno if getting a hail damaged car is worth it though
Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efxr8envy
sure is, i was just there this morning good cars cheap as hell if you know alittle about cars you are fine. forced 6 full optioned with 99 on the clock 2004 went for $16500 with reg......
That is awesome, do Pickles/Fowles have a link to it online?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
efxr8envy

i know you can bid online...... google fowles car auctions it should come up
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efxr8envy
i know you can bid online...... google fowles car auctions it should come up
Is this it here?
If so, that is simply amazing value, I think I will have to head out there for my next vehicle.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
efxr8envy

thats the one......
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
efxr8envy

a ve omega wagon was going for 20 today.....
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

It looks good although the condition report says 'Turbo problems'. I guess you would have to factor in a turbo rebuild into the purchase price. Still a good buy though.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you know what you're looking for, what you're looking at when you inspect it and then set yourself an ABSOLUTE bidding limit then it's definitely worth it. The key is to avoid the kind of stupidity that we've all seen at housing auctions over the last 18 months.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post