Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Ecoboost I-4 Territory?

Quote:
2011 Ford Territory EcoBoost Spied
By Paul Maric | May 24th, 2010
After announcing plans to introduce a 2.0-litre four-cylinder variant of Ford’s global EcoBoost engine in the locally built Falcon, Ford has been busted testing the Ford Territory with the same 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine.
The 2.0-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost engine is expected to produce upwards of 185kW, in addition to 350Nm of torque. The engine features Twin-Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) and a turbocharger to extract the most from the engine, giving it V6 power credentials with four-cylinder fuel economy.

Placing the engine in the Territory is a logical move to further supplement the Territory range in the years to come. Once finalised, Ford will offer the Territory with a variant of Land Rover’s 2.7-litre twin-turbocharged diesel engine (as exclusively revealed by CarAdvice), in addition to a Euro IV compliant 4.0-litre I6 engine.
When asked about the plans to introduce an EcoBoost engine in the Ford Territory, Acting Ford Communications Manager, Todd Nissen told CarAdvice:
Quote:
The 2.0-litre direct-injection turbocharged EcoBoost engine will be added to Falcon range in 2011, as the first global application of Ford’s advanced 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine in a rear-wheel drive vehicle.
There are no plans at this point to introduce the EcoBoost engine in Territory. Territory will receive a clean diesel version of Ford 2.7-litre turbocharged V6 engine in 2011.

Mr Nissen was further quizzed about whether Ford was testing the EcoBoost engine in the Territory for possible future use, he said:
Quote:
I can’t go into what future engine/product combinations we’re testing.
Further to the news about the EcoBoost being tested in the 2011 Ford Territory, these spy photos also revealed a rehashed front end for the ageing Australian SUV. The photos reveal the use of halogen projector headlights, with upper models predictably picking up High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights.

As mentioned in our recent article about the 2011 Ford Territory, suppliers for components of the rear end have delayed the testing of full production vehicles. The issue is expected to be resolved in time for the vehicle’s release in early 2011. Ford are expected to show the vehicle at this year’s Sydney International Motor Show.
Looks like case of Ford gathering real world data on an Ecoboost I-4 Territory,
no better way than comparing it to the I-6 petrol and V6 diesel versions.

That doesn't mean that they will actually offer an Ecoboost I-4 in the Territory but,
if head office is making funding available to use the engine, who knows........

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Looks like case of Ford gathering real world data on an Ecoboost I-4 Territory,
no better way than comparing it to the I-6 petrol and V6 diesel versions.

That doesn't mean that they will actually offer an Ecoboost I-4 in the Territory but,
if head office is making funding available to use the engine, who knows........
It makes sense if there has to be an engine which eventually replaces the I6.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
It makes sense if there has to be an engine which eventually replaces the I6.

No thats the V6 and thats MAYBE after 2015 IF the one ford policy goes ahead the way Jez Spinks understands it.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Nothing like reminding Dearbon of what they passed up in choosing FWD/AWD,
RWD vehicles with I-4 Ecoboost, Diesel engines, I-6/V6 and V8 engines.

The more Ford Australia can build into Falcon and Territory's portfolio, the better...
Old 26-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
No thats the V6 and thats MAYBE after 2015 IF the one ford policy goes ahead the way Jez Spinks understands it.

Yeah makes sense, just havnt heard about the V6 and Ford AU for a while now. Seems to be a lot of focus on the EcoBoost 4.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yeah makes sense, just havnt heard about the V6 and Ford AU for a while now. Seems to be a lot of focus on the EcoBoost 4.
Not surprisingly, the taller and wider V6 didn't fit so well but the I-4 has plenty of room.
Being taller and wider, V6 Falcon needed mods to inner tower aprons and different bonnet bulge.
If the I-6 scores DI, I doubt you will hear much more about the V6 in this product cycle (2015).
Old 26-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Nothing like reminding Dearbon of what they passed up in choosing FWD/AWD,
RWD vehicles with I-4 Ecoboost, Diesel engines, I-6/V6 and V8 engines.

The more Ford Australia can build into Falcon and Territory's portfolio, the better...
My only concern is line complexity & engineering.
Engines : I4T, I6, I6Li, I6T, V8, V8SC and V6TD.
Gearboxes : T6 Manual, ZF, ZF Premium & DSG.

Combinations Auto/DSG : I4T & DSG, I6/I6Li & ZF, V6TD & ZF, I6T/V8/V8SC & ZF Premium.
Combinations Manual : I6, I6T, V8, V8SC

Still, there should be something for everyone!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
My only concern is line complexity & engineering.
Engines : I4T, I6, I6Li, I6T, V8, V8SC and V6TD.
Gearboxes : T6 Manual, ZF, ZF Premium & DSG.

Combinations Auto/DSG : I4T & DSG, I6/I6Li & ZF, V6TD & ZF, I6T/V8/V8SC & ZF Premium.
Combinations Manual : I6, I6T, V8, V8SC

Still, there should be something for everyone!
Phil, I remember Marin Burela being rather cryptic about changes to Falcon for Euro 4
and implying that there may be a better time to align as many changes as possible.
Not saying that Ford will ever make a production EB I-4 Territory but maybe some cross over
of V6 TDCI and EB I-4 is being analysed to satisfy all the chiefs that every option is being explored..

If the new FWD/AWD Explorer isn't a success the chiefs might forced to re evaluate their plans...
Old 26-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
dave289
Banned

be interesting to see how the eco sells against the I6, and also with the falcon for that matter.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So are Ford fans looking forward to having 6's that beat Commodore V8s AND 4 cyl Falcons that beat V6 Commodores? LOL
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
So are Ford fans looking forward to having 6's that beat Commodore V8s AND 4 cyl Falcons that beat V6 Commodores? LOL
We've had the Commodore V8 beating I6 since 2002! lol And the EB should definitely make at least the 3.0L SIDI look like a waste of time and money... To make the 3.6 SIDI look like that, though, may require another turbo

RE: EB Territory - I think even with the weight saved over the I6 it'd still be too heavy to make any improvements in economy or performance over I6... The Falcon is probably the heaviest application for it IMHO...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
RE: EB Territory - I think even with the weight saved over the I6 it'd still be too heavy to make any improvements in economy or performance over I6... The Falcon is probably the heaviest application for it IMHO...
Two US applications of EB I-4 heavier than the Falcon would be Edge and Explorer.
If Ford Europe use it in S-Max, that will be a similar weight to Falcon....
Old 26-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Going to be having a good laugh when the EB-4 is in the falcon - there's gonne be enough room to stand in the bay while working on the motor :-)

While the EB-4 is a great motor, I think I would have preferred to see the diesel side by side with the I6. I'd assume the diesel would pip the EB for economy?
Old 26-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
Honda CRV weighs 1580kg and has a 125KW and 218nm I4 and its not too bad on fuel, don't underestimate the new I4 Ford is making, especially on paper.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'd read somewhere that an Ecobooste engine has been confirmed for the F150. I'd imagine that would be up there in weight in comparison to Territory. It's a bit bigger all round. The Expedition is based off the F150 and is noticeably bigger than the Explorer.

However, I'm wondering if that's the 3.5 Ecoboost....

Lukeyson
Old 26-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

OK, found it. F-150 is the V6 after all. But Explorer gets the EBI4T and it is WAY heavier than a Territory.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/12/s...ps-production/

2010 Ford Explorer AWD is about 6300lbs/2850kg - http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Explorer-2010/specs/

2010 Ford Territory AWD is about 2100kg for 7 seater - http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...YPage&site=FOA

Lukeyson
Old 26-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
OK, found it. F-150 is the V6 after all. But Explorer gets the EBI4T and it is WAY heavier than a Territory.

2010 Ford Explorer AWD is about 6300lbs/2850kg - http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Explorer-2010/specs/

2010 Ford Territory AWD is about 2100kg for 7 seater - http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...YPage&site=FOA

Lukeyson
Err you are looking at gross weight....
XLT 4x4 is 2100kg or so

2011 Explorer is all new too, and is based on a different platform. Whether it will be any lighter is unknown, but I dont think it will be any heavier.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lukeyson
No Luke, that's the all up weight of the 4x2 Explorer, the kerb weight of the Body on Frame RWD Explorer is 4,440 lbs or about 2,000 Kg about the same as RWD Territory.

The new FWD/AWD Explorer will be about the same weight as our RWD/AWD Territory models respectively.
Old 26-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Every ford car needs to be sold with a 4 under its new plan i think. I can't see it hurting, people will go "Oh 4cyl, effciant"

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Every ford car needs to be sold with a 4 under its new plan i think. I can't see it hurting, people will go "Oh 4cyl, effciant"
No, a modern diesel would be far better.

But those sorts of figures in a 2.1 tonne SUV?! (add at least 200kg in real world driving). Can't see fuel economy and performance being that great, as well as the lifespan of the stressed engine.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Is a turbo'd 4 cylinder really much more efficient then a N/A 6 in a big heavy large car though? Especially if you are say towing a trailer or caravan.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #22
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone seems to be forgetting that an Alloy 4cyl with trans will probably be 100kg lighter than the current Iron I6 and trans.
And if it does go into the Territory, it will probably be 2wd only, so will be around 1900kg.
Sure it wont be the quickest thing around, but at 185kw/350nm, 6speed auto and a flat torque curve, so its not going to struggle, like for example a 1800kg Tarago with 125kw/224Nm.
Performance wise it probably wont be different to what it is now, if anything it will be better with 2 extra gears.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think realistically for the future Ford need to look at a 2.5L Ecoboost 4. Theyve got the 1.6L coming online soon, and will be making 2 and 3 cyl versions as well in the future, but i think unless theyre going to either make a 3L TT then theres a pretty big gap to fill between the 2L and the 3.5L in a future where potentially every engine option will be Ecoboost.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd read somewhere that an Ecobooste engine has been confirmed for the F150.
Yep, and one journalist breached the embargo and released information a little too early. It's still under embargo, but looks like Ford hasn't forced the article to be removed.

http://farmindustrynews.com/trucks/0...oboost-engine/
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #25
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A two litre 4 cylinder in a 2,100kg vehicle? Sorry, I'll happily be the odd one out here but I question the logic. Yeah, I know its turboed and performance may be OK, but at what cost? A small displacement engine such as the 2 litre will virtually ALWAYS be on boost to move a 2+ tonne vehicle around. All that stress being pushed through 4 cylinder internals, rods, big end bearings. That little turbo will be spinning its merry head off. Hmmmmm. I'm not so sure.

Fuel economy would be interesting. On a straight road with relatively little throttle modulation it would probably yield significant gains, but stop-start city driving? Or carting a bootload of gear around with 3 kids in the back? Or during hot days in summer when turbo efficiency drops-off?

Look, I know its green, and its the way of the future etc but gee, for those who can't afford to change over their cars every 3 years when the warranty runs out, I really question longevity issues here.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #26
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

185kw/320nm? I have an SX Territory with only 182 kW.

I have to agree with having serious question marks over why they would do it. Perhaps they are looking to differentiate the 4Cyl Territory from other models so that they can compete in a different market segment, like the 4Cyl Camry is differentiated from the Aurion and can compete in both Mid-Size and Large-Size car segments with just an engine capacity change. (Something I've always thought the Falcon should be doing with the I4T too)

Maybe the Territory's 4-Cyl little brother could be called the 'ACT' or something....it's another Territory within Australia right?

Do we dare consider that a 4Cyl in a Territory might provide enough room in the engine bay to be accompanied by a suprise? Like a Hybrid powertrain... A recent announcement regarding confidential forward product planning and allocations from the 'Green Car Innovation Fund' made me think that something special must be in the pipeline for Ford....

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 27-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
A two litre 4 cylinder in a 2,100kg vehicle? Sorry, I'll happily be the odd one out here but I question the logic. Yeah, I know its turboed and performance may be OK, but at what cost? A small displacement engine such as the 2 litre will virtually ALWAYS be on boost to move a 2+ tonne vehicle around. All that stress being pushed through 4 cylinder internals, rods, big end bearings. That little turbo will be spinning its merry head off. Hmmmmm. I'm not so sure.

Fuel economy would be interesting. On a straight road with relatively little throttle modulation it would probably yield significant gains, but stop-start city driving? Or carting a bootload of gear around with 3 kids in the back? Or during hot days in summer when turbo efficiency drops-off?

Look, I know its green, and its the way of the future etc but gee, for those who can't afford to change over their cars every 3 years when the warranty runs out, I really question longevity issues here.
Have a look at E250 Merc and BMW 5 Series, they've been doing it for years. Small engines in their larger cars.
No problems there.
I don't think Ford will have an issue with the EB I4.
I am keen to see this succeed. I won't be buying one but I am all for Ford bringing in some significant changes to the Falcon range to "modernise" it and change it with the market.
Old 27-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Have a look at E250 Merc and BMW 5 Series, they've been doing it for years. Small engines in their larger cars.
No problems there.
I don't think Ford will have an issue with the EB I4.
I am keen to see this succeed. I won't be buying one but I am all for Ford bringing in some significant changes to the Falcon range to "modernise" it and change it with the market.
And also consider the metallurgy and quality of materials used in BMW and Merc engines. Not all engines are created equal.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
And also consider the metallurgy and quality of materials used in BMW and Merc engines. Not all engines are created equal.
While I do agree BMW and Merc (moreso BMW) do use better materials, I don't think Ford will put this together with band aids and chewing gum. The EB I4 has had engineering input from the Euro Ford team, specialists with these kind of engines. Being a world engine for Ford, it would have had the R&D $$ behind it to ensure it will be able to cope with all applications it will be applied to.
Old 27-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The theory behind EB is not simply the air pressure !
It is a complete intake system designed to purpose.
Including direct injection and some boost, and electronically control all the bits to get the maximum out of the petrol it consumes.

I am not saying I am convinced, but don't dismissively call it turboed.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post