Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
snappyxb

Default Chrome tail shafts, diffs and autos regulations vic roads

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can tell me what the registration rules are on chrome tail shafts, diffs and gearboxs, iv been told they wont pass a RWC because of the technique used in chroming them. Iv been told it weakens the steel. Can anyone shed light on this, thanks in advance,

snappyxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Hydrogen Embrittlement
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chrome and Nickle plating can introducee Hydrogen into the parent metal and cause some brittleness to that parent metal. However, it can be removed if the parts are baked immediatly after plating. Suspension bits should never be chomed, only nickle plated.

A competent plater should be able to advise the correct procedure.

For the bits you are talking about, there should be no problem, but I am unaware of what the experts at the RTA would rule on.
hawke is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Diff backing plate (if applicable) and trans pan (if applicable) shouldn't be a problem.

Tailshaft. See if a later Falcon (EA???? onwards fit.) They're alloy, which will polish up like chrome, with some elbow grease. Saves that side of the discussion.

Otherwise if it's the whole diff, gearbox/ tailshaft assembley. I doubt you'll get it passed with it chromed

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plating of any softer metal with a harder one decreases the fatigue strength of the parent metal. This is due to the fact that the harder, plated material is more likely to fracture at a crystal structure (microscopic) level and introduce stress risers (sharp corners, like the end of a crack) to the surface of the parent metal. When this occurs, fatigue failure of the component is not far away.

Plating with softer materials tends not to introduce this problem. eg galvanizing (zinc)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...if you want something to look like chrome get it polished then clear coat it or something. They still have to polish to chrome plate so it's not as though any more work is being done.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
kendallRTV

This re mind's me of build I once read about where the guy spent hours polishing his transmission and when he installed it under his nice new black under carriage, the trains looked just black because it just reflected the under body colour. :
kendallRTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post