Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Drivers Licences To Cost 300% More

MOTORISTS are expected to be hit with skyrocketing driver's licence costs under the State Government's digital licence plan after a series of delays.

State Transport Minister Rachel Nolan has refused to reveal the cost of the new licence or its release date, only saying the technology "would be expensive".

But the State Opposition said Queensland Transport staff had estimated the cost of a one-year driver's licence will jump by at least 300 per cent under its new smartcard driver's licence, when introduced this year.

Opposition Transport spokeswoman Fiona Simpson said cost estimates of the new smartcard were revealed during a briefing of an opposition state member and his staff last year by a Queensland Transport manager.

She said the MP was told the price of a driver's licence, valid for one year, would rise from $28.50 to between $120-$150, and from $73.30 to $170-$180 for a five-year licence.

"Queensland drivers already face the highest registration fees in Australia and more costly petrol," Ms Simpson said. "After the debacle with the Labor Government's smart go card for public transport, I am concerned this new Queensland Driver Licence smart card is just another costly impost upon the battered finances of the Queensland public," she said.

Blow-outs and delays have troubled the project, which was first flagged in 1997 before being given a 2006 deadline.

In 2008, then Transport Minister John Mickel said the release date would be in 2009.

But an announcement about the scheme is yet to be made, with Ms Nolan saying it would come in "due course."

State Government budget figures show the project was estimated to cost a total of $20 million in 2006-07, but has risen to $84 million in the current budget, including $43 million allocated to the project this financial year.

Ms Nolan late last week rejected opposition claims about the driver's licence cost rises, but would not reveal any further details.

"While this state-of-the-art technology is expensive, any suggestion that licence fees will rise by the amounts indicated is without foundation," Ms Nolan said.

The smartcard licence has been designed to beat identity fraud and will use facial recognition technology.

Old 14-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

great

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I think it is time for the car company's to get involved with these govt get rich schemes as the govt is forcing every one out of cars to go to alternative forms of transport. If we don't buy cars then the car companies don't sell cars, it's just that simple. Queensland will have a 20th century Chinese landscape if some thing isn't done sooner.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Will this make Queenslanders 300% better drivers. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Hermen

As if our state government can't think of any other way to make our lives and finances more difficult. First scrapping the fuel subsidy,then increasing cost of rego and now this? If there is 1 thing Anna Bligh is good at it's making enemies.
Hermen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

What's not fair is if this Parasitic govt is voted out of office the one comes in and leaves all the bureaucratic pilfering in place, or worse still is if they take it away and put forward an even worse system.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

The price increase will bring the cost up to par with what we NSW drivers currently pay... roughly :P
Old 14-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

More money spent on crap we dont need. Put that 84mil towards hospitals or something. Digital licenses will only mean they can keep track of you and what your up to. Same with the stupid system on public transport, what was wrong with normal tickets?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
The price increase will bring the cost up to par with what we NSW drivers currently pay... roughly :P

Maybe so, but we pay more for rego and now pay more for fuel, lucky us.

Time to look at moving back to WA, less cost in living and paramedics there get a higher pay rate.

To think some moron deemed Brisbane as the most liveable city!
Old 14-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

To think some moron deemed Brisbane as the most liveable city!
\
It was at the time of writing.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think they need to re assess that and take down all the signs
Old 14-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

5 year is about the same as nsw.
is not really that much for 5 years.
but id still rather pay qld price
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:

Time to look at moving back to WA, less cost in living and paramedics there get a higher pay rate.
Dream result! Do you know if the carpentry rates higher there too lol

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
She said the MP was told the price of a driver's licence, valid for one year, would rise from $28.50 to between $120-$150, and from $73.30 to $170-$180 for a five-year licence.
Just buy a five year license, I've been doing that for thirty years now,
if you're on your P Plates suck it up, be good and aim for a five year open license..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Just buy a five year license, I've been doing that for thirty years now,
if you're on your P Plates suck it up, be good and aim for a five year open license..
And be a good little minion and take yet another rise in the cost of operating a motor vehicle in QLD, quietly!
Old 14-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

My list:
8c fuel subsidy gone
Huge rego costs
No ANZAC day public holiday last year
Sale of State Assets
*NEW* Insane Licence Costs
Old 14-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

"Queensland drivers already face the highest registration fees in Australia and more costly petrol," Ms Simpson said. "After the debacle with the Labor Government's smart go card for public transport, I am concerned this new Queensland Driver Licence smart card is just another costly impost upon the battered finances of the Queensland public," she said.
have Queenslanders had rego and fuel rise by 200% in the last few years?

ive always been told QLD was the cheapest state to own a car in. i even have friends who rego their car up there to save money

and whenever ive drove up there for holidays fuel prices seem to drop by 20c/L as soon as you hit the border
Old 14-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
have Queenslanders had rego and fuel rise by 200% in the last few years?

ive always been told QLD was the cheapest state to own a car in. i even have friends who rego their car up there to save money

and whenever ive drove up there for holidays fuel prices seem to drop by 20c/L as soon as you hit the border

Then why is it when I drive from Brisbane to Canberra, through Sydney the fuel prices are generally a bit higher in Brisbane? When was the last time you drove up?

Rego on our ute is now over $1000 a year, what will a Super Pursuit cost to rego in NSW?
Old 14-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Then why is it when I drive from Brisbane to Canberra, through Sydney the fuel prices are generally a bit higher in Brisbane? When was the last time you drove up?

Rego on our ute is now over $1000 a year, what will a Super Pursuit cost to rego in NSW?
are you talking rego or the total cost inc pink and green slips?
Old 14-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Total cost of 1 year rego.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
BOSHOG
avenge me

also if my memory serves me correct the roads up there are so much better than your southern enemies, maybe its a case of taking the good with the bad?

edit; i have friends in brisvegas i visit regularly, and if i didnt have a young son down here i would be living up there. the roads are better, better public transport, clean parks and public toilets, clean roadside areas..... it all adds up to a nice city
Old 14-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Total cost of 1 year rego.
it last cost me $1200 to rego my XR8
Old 14-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
are you talking rego or the total cost inc pink and green slips?
QLD does not require safety certificates yet if that is what you mean.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
QLD does not require safety certificates yet if that is what you mean.
yeah we have to have a pink slip (safety inspection)
Old 14-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Don't worry i'm sure that will be the next slug we will get, I think the Labor plan is to bring all the states in line, transport wise.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
also if my memory serves me correct the roads up there are so much better than your southern enemies, maybe its a case of taking the good with the bad?

edit; i have friends in brisvegas i visit regularly, and if i didnt have a young son down here i would be living up there. the roads are better, better public transport, clean parks and public toilets, clean roadside areas..... it all adds up to a nice city

I disagree with the road quality comment completely. We drive down to canberra a couple of times a year and I have to say that NSW roads on average are way better than QLD roads. I was amazed how quick you can drive through Sydney on the motorways compared to the garbage motorways we have here. QLD motorways may improve once the road works are finished (if they ever finish), but considering I have been here coming on 6 years and never seen a single day that there are not roadworks on the Gateway, I will not hold my breath.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #27
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
I disagree with the road quality comment completely. We drive down to canberra a couple of times a year and I have to say that NSW roads on average are way better than QLD roads. I was amazed how quick you can drive through Sydney on the motorways compared to the garbage motorways we have here. QLD motorways may improve once the road works are finished (if they ever finish), but considering I have been here coming on 6 years and never seen a single day that there are not roadworks on the Gateway, I will not hold my breath.
im talking about NSW not just sydney, the roads are terrible here, motorways excluded. nowhere near the quality of roads you guys have
Old 14-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of our roads are ok, but you head anywhere off the main road, and they get ordinary very quickly.

QLD roads are pretty decent in comparison (and yes i do go further then just the motorways)
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has gone way off topic...but drive Darra to Briz on Ipswich Motorway, shocking road for a major Motorway. or Bruce Highway !!!???
Old 14-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow.

Makes the Vic Licence costs of $46.60/3yr or $158.60/10yr look quite reasonable.

And rego cost on my XR6T is $590-ish....

Sadly, my Husky TE510 is about $500 too....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post