Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 6.6 cents a litre for fuel? New Civic does that...

Saw this in the paper - the new 2006 Honda Civic GX due on sale in the US in their Autumn. It runs on compressed natural gas (CNG). This is different to LPG, apparantly Australia has a large abundance of CNG which comes straight out of the ground and requires no refining.

In summary:

- 115hp 1.7 litre CNG engine
- Re-fuel it at home. Honda install a "station" in your garage.
- Fuel cost is approx 6.6 cents a litre in Aussie money compared to petrol.
- produces near zero emissions.
- RRP is $21000 US

I should add that half of Sydney's (STA) bus fleet is currently CNG (so no issue on fuel supply here).

Link

Seems pretty good to me....especially if they made a V8 with it.

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cons I can see so far after a little more googling.

- It takes 12 hours to fill the tank (so you do it overnight in your garage)
- Full tank gives a 200mile (320km?) range.

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^ still alright if you are just doing city commuting!

if only they could have good power in one of these beauties!

:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
matsbfxr6

12 hours a night seems a little harsh but i spose if you plug it in every night when you get home then it might not be so bad, I wonder what you have to do when you go on holiday though???
matsbfxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most people are home for at least 12 hours in 24 anyway, and you dont have to fill it up if you only do 50 ot 100km a day, just plug it in every few days for as long as you like. sounds great!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, seems like a pretty good daily.

Then take the falc out for the long trips/holidays.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #7
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Cons I can see so far after a little more googling.

- It takes 12 hours to fill the tank (so you do it overnight in your garage)
- Full tank gives a 200mile (320km?) range.

don't see any cons there..
all good i think.. look at what milage it can do. will not see many ppl complaining bout 12 hr re-fill time and range
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Not for Near 7 cents per Litre. I'd happily get kicked in the nuts for fuel to go down to that sort of price let alone wait 12 hours....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
BA Turbo

pretty good how the hell do you plug it in like WTF.

meh shhhh if the wife finds out bye bye BA turbo start having to cry even tough its killed and cant drive.
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Kryton

and what sort of Tax is the Gov going to enforce when the day comes that the mojority of cars are running on CNG? it will have to be something if no one is buying petrol.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the $21k include the cost of the install at home or is that extra? How many KW is 115hp.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
BA Turbo

probly like 60KW of power it has.

so probly 35K with everything on road etc and install home thingy pretty good i want one as a toy to pricy tough.
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #13
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Pricey ? Think of all the thousands off dollars you save a year on petrol !
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I had a neighbour who ran her Mitsi van on cng, she was one of those big butch lesbians who mowed the lawn in her undies. Scared the absolute out of me. Anyway, that put me off CNG.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #15
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

lol @ M14A-Mclaren

CNG was sold in NZ for years and years, then they phased it out as it wasn't as good as LPG and people weren't buying it. i think it may also be more harsh on engines than LPG. I can't really remember as it was a fair few years back now...
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #16
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quite a few years ago Ford made a development car (I think it was an EL or AU wagon) that ran on Natural Gas. From my very vague memory of the subject, it produced an enormous amount more power per combustion unit than LPG. LPG has a higher octane, and if you can burn enough will make more power than petrol, but is about 25% less efficient than petrol (i.e. to get same power you must burn 25% more).

Natural Gas is available to virtually every home in Australia, and I would suggest connected to a fair majority (for cooktops, heaters, etc.). However, as stated above a 12-hour fill for 200 miles is rediculous, and the fact you would have to install special high-compression fillups at home (TO REDUCE FILLUP TIME), and the inherent danger of that, meant the Ford prototype wasn't further developed.

Keep in mind, there are no fixed laws yet about the quality of LPG. The levels of impurities and contaminents are restricted and monitored in petrol, but not in LPG. I don't know if CNG has any such regulations in place? But regardless the superior power per combustion unit, while its not available at service stations and installing a virtual service station at home would be the only way around a 40-50 hour fill time for our Australian requirements (of closer to 600 miles to tank), I can't see it happening here anytime soon.

As for New Zealand - I'd be interested in researching that a bit more. I know it would only have been in aftermarket conversions (like LPG until recently), but I wonder what the CNG product is really like there, if it was the fuel itself, or the conversion issues that caused greater engine wear? I'm intrigued - I think I'll go look it up!
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Quite a few years ago Ford made a development car (I think it was an EL or AU wagon) that ran on Natural Gas. From my very vague memory of the subject, it produced an enormous amount more power per combustion unit than LPG. LPG has a higher octane, and if you can burn enough will make more power than petrol, but is about 25% less efficient than petrol (i.e. to get same power you must burn 25% more).

Natural Gas is available to virtually every home in Australia, and I would suggest connected to a fair majority (for cooktops, heaters, etc.). However, as stated above a 12-hour fill for 200 miles is rediculous, and the fact you would have to install special high-compression fillups at home (TO REDUCE FILLUP TIME), and the inherent danger of that, meant the Ford prototype wasn't further developed.

Keep in mind, there are no fixed laws yet about the quality of LPG. The levels of impurities and contaminents are restricted and monitored in petrol, but not in LPG. I don't know if CNG has any such regulations in place? But regardless the superior power per combustion unit, while its not available at service stations and installing a virtual service station at home would be the only way around a 40-50 hour fill time for our Australian requirements (of closer to 600 miles to tank), I can't see it happening here anytime soon.

As for New Zealand - I'd be interested in researching that a bit more. I know it would only have been in aftermarket conversions (like LPG until recently), but I wonder what the CNG product is really like there, if it was the fuel itself, or the conversion issues that caused greater engine wear? I'm intrigued - I think I'll go look it up!
hmm the only gas concpet I can think of was the EL predator, that ran a supercharger to help. Could be wrong though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #18
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I see quite a few CNG cars running around.

CNG has some draw backs. Namely a absolutely *HUGE* gas cylinder. Someone had a BA xr8 they had running on CNG, cylinder took up the whole boot! Also its only a commuter fuel not a long distance fuel.

Its another alternative.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am just building a new house, and one of the options they gave me(I didnt get it though) was a GAS CYLINDER REFUEL connection! So I wonder what the difference is with this and the connection for a car? Obviosly the connection they give you gives you enough pressure to fill up your Gas bottle! Maybe i should have got that....might have come in handy.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post