Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #91
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Leathermans tool banned at mine site

Good book to read is 'What went wrong' by Trevor Kletz... looks at how accidents happened in process plants.
Some of it is downright scary.

Spent this morning with OH&S Auditor...when I was supposed to be doing plant safety inspections. Gave the Auditor a bit to think about... particularly with how the OH&S system here is completely independent of anything else and so adds a completely separate pile of paperwork that goes nowhere.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #92
bossgtp

We had stanley knives banned from site because a contractor decided it was a good move to try and cut the sleeves off his shirt while he was wearing it because he was hot. Now only people that can use them are sparkies and they are supposed to wear mesh gloves.

It is always the one off that spoil it for the rest and I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as common sense because it just doesn't seem to be common to every one.
bossgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #93
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
First, my example explanid thhe person was an operator (of unknown skills and ability) and not a tradesman of any kind. And in a workshop away from there workstation doing foringe orders, it happened all the time and the bosses turned a blind eye.

about your example, this why we have trades , a bricklayer lays bricks etc. and a boilermaker or welder does metal work and he can use a grinder without question. But you get those odd jobs that need doing, maybe cutting off some concrete starter bars or something. IMO at the foreman level he can deligate a handy guy (as opposed to inexperenced one) to do this job.if the job is a bit tricky get a boilermaker or welder to do it. The right person for the job. is this a workable solution?
don,t you think that a person in his trade using his appropreiate tradesmans power tools should know how to use them safley, A, yes they should. there is onlly so much you can do. You don,t test, you just explect a trademan on a site can use a drill or what ever it is.
I can't comment on your example as I don't know the ins and outs and certainly no-one should ever turn a blind eye in regard to safety.

Your response to my example makes valid points and it is certainly a problem in the industry that there a rogues that a not tradesman doing a tradies jobs.

The problem is that lots of labourers and trades assistants use power tools, jack hammers, drills, grinders. It is hard to expect a qualified tradesman to be drilling holes for starter bars or cutting a piece of reo which is usually a labourers job. But most good employers do train up their labourers to a competent level and I'm pretty sure if I or my Supervisors witnessed a 15 year old kid swinging a big drill on his first day at work we would politely request a more experienced person is given that task.

Food for thought
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #94
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
BMA mate? the ultimate company for "dumbing down"

Didn't BMA at Norwich Park get shut down for a few days by the Mines Inspector for failing to report a Dozer rolling down an embankment into a pit of water a year or two ago? Dont know how they thought they could get away with that one, if it was true!

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #95
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestr75
Didn't BMA at Norwich Park get shut down for a few days by the Mines Inspector for failing to report a Dozer rolling down an embankment into a pit of water a year or two ago? Dont know how they thought they could get away with that one, if it was true!
WHAT Dozer ??
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #96
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestr75
don't know, i'm at goonyella.
we've been shut down a few times by over zealous fat cats the last few years, mainly OCE issues.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #97
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Some restaurants now dont serve meals with knifes for fear or being robbed by people using the restaurants cutlery

The world has gone crazy
We will all be eating at soup kitchens soon
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #98
Rapid5.4
Blue Blood

RIP common sense.
Rapid5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #99
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
WHAT Dozer ??

Don't know which dozer or where about on the mine but we fronted for work on a Monday and told to go back to camp because they had be shutdown. This was the reason or should I say rumour that was circulating around. Was even a photo of a dozer lying in water that was just covering the cab.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post