Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #31
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
To me it is a magazine for celebrating fancy paint/rims/and interior i.e. show queens, than any feats of engineering excellence.

You couldn't be more wrong. I can pick up any given issue of Street Machine and find at least one car with amazingly creative and complicated engineering involved. I'll just grab a couple of random issues off my shelf. July '05 has the awesome custom Hudson built by Paul Mckennariey. December '03 has Adam Le Brese's custom EH delivery and a 56 Chevy with a 572 big block, Ford 9" diff and totally custom air bag suspension. That was two randomly selected issues that show off incredible engineering, and there is at least one in every issue.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #32
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I still buy it every month and will continue to do so.

Get plenty of ideas from the cars featured in there.

I made readers cars one month and that's good enough for me.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #33
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
The Ford vs GM thing will go on forever. Same deal with Yank mags like Hot Rod and Car Craft "theres too many Camaros...", or even local mags like Zoom and Speed "theres too many Skyline GTR's..."

I gave up reading Street Machine 5 or more years ago, because the tech info sucked...sounds like nothing has changed which is a shame.

To me it is a magazine for celebrating fancy paint/rims/and interior i.e. show queens, than any feats of engineering excellence.

And whats with KB saying there are no positive displacement blowers available for post 5.0L Commodores? I hope thats not for real.....I have a lot of respect for KB as a racer, but it's that sort of "knuckledragger" view of technology that ****ed me off about Street Machine the first place.

No doubt Street Machine is a very succesful magazine. Lots of nice pictures of cars, and plent of knuckledragger technology for the mullets/stubbies/and a can of VB market....thats why i dont read it anymore.
Call me stupid and belt me with cam,but what does knuckledragger technology for the mullets/stubbies/and a can of VB market actually mean???? i know i live in Qld but i haven't heard of these colourful descriptions before, please explain...

Last edited by Hardtopxb; 22-10-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Hardtopxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

As much as we hate Torris (meh, I don't mind em), that LX with the Corvette donk in it a few months ago was nice.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #35
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to buy then but now they are full of ads and drag cars
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #36
oneredED
need more boost

I still have a heap of copies of Van Wheels, the magazine that was the predecessor to SM. In Van Wheels, the cars were all readers rides, and all street driven cars with some imperfections in one way or another, as most street cars have. I prefer that style of magazine, and i don't think there are any on the shelves anymore in this "true" street style.
Don't get me wrong, i used to by SM religiously when I was younger, as I found the tech articles to be understandable, for example how a torque converter works etc, due to their no-too-technical style of writing. I stopped buying the mag due to lack of funds, and lack of interest in $150k show cars, as brilliant as some of the engineering feats on some cars are.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #37
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
I still have a heap of copies of Van Wheels, the magazine that was the predecessor to SM. In Van Wheels, the cars were all readers rides, and all street driven cars with some imperfections in one way or another, as most street cars have. I prefer that style of magazine, and i don't think there are any on the shelves anymore in this "true" street style.
Don't get me wrong, i used to by SM religiously when I was younger, as I found the tech articles to be understandable, for example how a torque converter works etc, due to their no-too-technical style of writing. I stopped buying the mag due to lack of funds, and lack of interest in $150k show cars, as brilliant as some of the engineering feats on some cars are.

although i buy SM, i agree with you 100%....would love to see some real street cars, even with minor impeferctions....we all cant blow thousands on our rides!!
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #38
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
This holden driver gets out enough....in an SS mind you :

Does the SS stand for sinking ship ! The way things are going there will be a few more rats jumping from that SS in the future ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #39
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
Does the SS stand for sinking ship ! The way things are going there will be a few more rats jumping from that SS in the future ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
When im old and grey it will be a collecters item :P heehee
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #40
buickman
buickman

Quote:
although i buy SM, i agree with you 100%....would love to see some real street cars, even with minor impeferctions....we all cant blow thousands on our rides!!
There are other mags like Ford performance or street Commodors that cater more for the average working guys fiancal abilitity's.

But Street machine does show cars that you can get ideas out of & suppliers of perforfamce products.

The factory performance cars are very good in the first place that roll out nowdays. You only have to add your touchs.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #41
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:

Fair point! I do not think that there is a particular shortage of Fords in SM and I am an avid reader of it. I would like to see more "realistic" cars featured but where would all those that do get featured now go?

Personally, I like to have something to aspire too and I find it fascinating to see what can be done on a big budget and plenty of imagination!.

Maybe SM could keep these cars featured as they presently are but expand the readers cars section a little more: those readers of QLD street car will know what I mean.

It was nice to see the old Merc featured there too and frankly, the readers letters back up the general views of those here.....if SM print them I imagine that they take heed of them too.

Being new to the whole modded scene, I find the tech articles easy to understand (the gearbox ones were really good)and while they cannot cater to everyones desires perfectly, I think that it is a good read.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #42
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Edit- As for the posters, I've got no complaints

Me either!

Old 22-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #43
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
As much as we hate Torris (meh, I don't mind em), that LX with the Corvette donk in it a few months ago was nice.
Well, the Photos made it look nice.... Having seen it in the flesh (Steel? rust? fiberglass? :P) at Harry's diner one night, it wasn't as nice as the mag made it look....
Old 22-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #44
Psycho Chicken
Banned

That's not fair! What's next, they photoshop the girls in Ralph?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #45
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Same here. I stopped buying Street Machine when Seddon became editor. I simply lost interest in it after buying the thing every issue from the time it was Van Wheels. Aussie Muscle Car seems to be a better read these days.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #46
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
That's not fair! What's next, they photoshop the girls in Ralph?
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but........
Old 23-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #47
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
Same here. I stopped buying Street Machine when Seddon became editor. I simply lost interest in it after buying the thing every issue from the time it was Van Wheels. Aussie Muscle Car seems to be a better read these days.
As a personal preference of reading material, thats a fair comment but as a direct comparison of magazines, I'd have to say that Aussie Muscle car (of which I am a regular purchaser) tends to focus on track cars and original spec cars/reno's of these rather than modded street machines.
Historically, AMC is unbeatable but I suspect that they would turn in their metaphorical graves if they were being compared to the mag that published THE Magna!! (P.S, Ialso enjoyed!) :

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 03:15 AM   #48
XHII V8S

Hmm its not so much the Holden vs Ford thing that ****es me off, its that they put cars in there that most people would never bother creating. I believe in the motto; why build it if you can't drive it? Its also the fact (many agree) that they language, grammar etc is just sh*t. The magazine gives muscle car enthusiasts a bad name by protraying us as all being criminals or something.
-Pioneer HU
XHII V8S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #49
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHII V8S
The magazine gives muscle car enthusiasts a bad name by protraying us as all being criminals or something.
Where did you get that it's portraying us as criminals??
Old 23-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #50
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I used to buy SM but then I found something more informative, AFF, don't have enough time for SM now.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #51
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
Where did you get that it's portraying us as criminals??
Exactly, where did you get that impression XHII V8S. I know there has been a very recent incident with a SMOTY winner being in trouble with the law (and rightly so). But the rest of the people who appear in the mag are not like that 1 certain person.. I don't know where you have come up with that statement.

Anywayz, i buy SM every month, but i enjoy getting ideas on how other people are doing up there cars, especially engine bays. Ford, Holden, Mopar, doesn't matter. I think its great to see people with different cars, modifying cars should be classified as an art... now where's that uni course on mods????
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #52
bluovl

I get a bit sick of hearing that Street Machine doesnt feature enough everyday cars. If people want that they should just but those Auto Supermarket type magazines.
I know more than just a few people who get both ideas and inspiration from some of the top show cars featured.
My only gripe with Street Machine is when they do articles on brand new cars that are stock. If I wanted that crap I would buy Wheels or something similiar.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #53
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a supporter for Street Machine.

I buy it religously and reckon it is a great publication.

Fair enough it mightnt be what everyone wants, but it represents a fair cross section of motorsports and vehicles. Personally I like gaining knowledge on something that I may not have known much about previously. And by reading the articles in there on boats or drag bikes or whatever else they have been criticised for having - I get that knowledge!

If you dont like it - dont buy it.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2005, 01:15 AM   #54
Pearly
Lowriding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I get a bit sick of hearing that Street Machine doesnt feature enough everyday cars. If people want that they should just but those Auto Supermarket type magazines.
I know more than just a few people who get both ideas and inspiration from some of the top show cars featured.
My only gripe with Street Machine is when they do articles on brand new cars that are stock. If I wanted that crap I would buy Wheels or something similiar.
Spot on. I got a lot of ideas for my car from reading about feature cars in SM. As well as their articles.

Just because you can't built a 100k or even a 250k car, doesn't mean you can't take small ideas and moddifications from them. Not to mention the contacts for people that did some of the work on these cars.
Old 25-10-2005, 12:04 AM   #55
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHII V8S
Its also the fact (many agree) that they language, grammar etc is just sh*t. The magazine gives muscle car enthusiasts a bad name by protraying us as all being criminals or something.
Haha, you're funny :

Over the years Street Machine has had a variety of editors and styles. I must admit I like the current style. You get to see the best cars, the best events, and learn from informative tech articles. Unfortunately there is only so much room in each mag and only 12 issues per year. I guess that's why the Street Machines Fords and Street Machine Commodores mags have proven so popular. You get a greater concentration of those vehicles that you fancy. Amazingly the sales of Street Machine haven't dropped at all with the two offshoot titles so we'll continue to see those titles on the stands alongside the mother magazine.

It is Australia's best selling car magazine so it must be doing something right.

As for the comments about too many drag cars, trailer queens, etc. We don't tell the owners what they should do with their cars, we just feature the best and most interesting.
Personally I'm a build them and drive them kind of guy but hey it takes all types.

For those who have voiced your support, thanks. For those who say they haven't bought it for years...maybe it's time to pick it up again...and shave off your mullets.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post