Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #91
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hopes rise of new XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
That is the single most stupidest thing I have heard in my life. Seriously.

This person actually sold a car because the badge was different?
Totally agree..

Ford can't cater for such stupidity..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #92
xp_ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Totally agree..

Ford can't cater for such stupidity..

that's what holden is for....
xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #93
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
lol I had to make sure they had actually got an FG. But yes they sold their G6E because it wasn't a fairmont and went out to buy a BF with low Kays. This was back in 08 when the FG was first released. The guy said it drove fine and the features were to be expected but it just wasnt what they wanted.
What a great way to burn a heap of cash and end up with an inferior car.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #94
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it just wasnt what they wanted.
they wanted an inferior car?? they need a lobotomy
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #95
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I also agree in theory knowing what I do about the cars, but in principle how often have you personally gone out to buy something only to find the shop does not have it in stock and your then given the "oh this one is better and replacing that one" story by the sales staff. Not everyone wants the newer model or upgrade, even if to everyone else thats just ridiculous, so I can see where he was coming from as well.

Anyways sorry to take the thread away from the XR8, as you were.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #96
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'd buy a 'new' XR8 tomorrow if they had one. I really cant understand Ford Australia. It's showing no confidence in it's direction and it's marketing is abysmal. I'm yet to see a Ford add for the FG this year on televsion. Even FPV are hiding their ads. I'm yet to see the Moffat ad on any channel.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #97
Cheech
HELL YES

In answer to a previous poster - the FG Xr6t makes 220-250 rwkw stock, depending on the dyno (270kw quoted at engine). I made 226 on a conservative dyno.

Tune only they make between 260 - 285rwkw again depending on the dyno (around 330-340kw at engine).

Agree with previous posters - XR8 need to compete price wise with SS, have more power and drive better as Holdens immediate reaction will be to load up the SS with more fruit &/or price drop with an aggressive marketing campaign.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
RE manual trans for coyote in a falcon, surely the T56 can be modded internally to suit if needed (bellhousing etc should fit off Miami), perhaps that would be more cost efficient that looking at using the mustang gbox aswell.

I never said it would be easy, its just not overly hard and the number potential is far greater than that of the Miami based cars.

I can hear whispers from Fords marketing guys now.."falcon with the heart of a mustang"...
You'd have to assume they would use the TR6060, as its already been engineered to fit the Miami which would use same bellhousing, mounts etc.

Would be a waste of money to engineer it to fit a new type of gearbox. Surely the TR6060 could handle 7000rpm, it took 6500 previously.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #99
blk6t

Why can't the GS just become the XR8, remove all that FPV additions, bring it back to a stock XR6 with a slightly detuned 315 S/C 5.0, say a 300kw motor. Also reduce the price to XR6 Turbo levels?????

That will keep the XR8 at base levels with a great motor, with the usual Ford options.

Then FPV should provide the GS with the XR8 body kit.....but.....the interior should be at F6 levels with the seats, dash etc. Also throw on the 4 pot brembos, 19 inch wheels and have the $60k price tag.

Same story with the utes.

The GS would then start to steal potential GT purchasers but it would allow FPV to get more sales and possibly bring across and people looking at a SSV or even a base Clubby.
Old 19-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #100
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You'd have to assume they would use the TR6060, as its already been engineered to fit the Miami which would use same bellhousing, mounts etc.

Would be a waste of money to engineer it to fit a new type of gearbox. Surely the TR6060 could handle 7000rpm, it took 6500 previously.
Hi, was looking at this. Referring back to an older thread title Saddle Up boys - look what's coming!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=saddle

In summary, CAT600 - has made mention that the the max rpm for the
* TR6060 (T56 with heavier and stronger internals) as fitted to the S/C GS/GT is good for 6800rpm max when flat shifted...
* T56 with it's lighter internals are good to "around 7600rpm without issue and are plenty strong enough even in the base 440lbft form"

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #101
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
Why can't the GS just become the XR8, remove all that FPV additions, bring it back to a stock XR6 with a slightly detuned 315 S/C 5.0, say a 300kw motor. Also reduce the price to XR6 Turbo levels?????
Why detune the 315 Kw V8, why not just grandfather engines downwards like Ford did with the previous XR8?

XR8 gets the GS 315 Kw engine, GS gets the 335 Kw engine, GT gets intercooler and 350 KW....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #102
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
lol I had to make sure they had actually got an FG. But yes they sold their G6E because it wasn't a fairmont and went out to buy a BF with low Kays. This was back in 08 when the FG was first released. The guy said it drove fine and the features were to be expected but it just wasnt what they wanted.
Got to make you wonder why they bothered buying it in the first place...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #103
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

dump GS nameplate and have XR8 and GT.

GS as a name plate just doesnt scream performance unlike the XR8.
Old 20-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #104
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro XR6
dump GS nameplate and have XR8 and GT.

GS as a name plate just doesnt scream performance unlike the XR8.
Where does the "XR8 performance" idea come from?

XR8 has almost always been the SLOW one of the tribe.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #105
brendo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Where does the "XR8 performance" idea come from?

XR8 has almost always been the SLOW one of the tribe.....
The actual performance is irrelevant, for the last 2 decades XR has been the nameplate for fords high performance falcons.
The GS nameplate hasn't been around for 30 years, and most people under 40 probably have no idea of its history.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #106
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83
The actual performance is irrelevant, for the last 2 decades XR has been the nameplate for fords high performance falcons.
The GS nameplate hasn't been around for 30 years, and most people under 40 probably have no idea of its history.
Correct.

Its just like Super Pursuit..

When i had one and people would ask me what sort of car I had I would just reply with XR8 ute...

:S
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #107
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Why detune the 315 Kw V8, why not just grandfather engines downwards like Ford did with the previous XR8?

XR8 gets the GS 315 Kw engine, GS gets the 335 Kw engine, GT gets intercooler and 350 KW....

Yeah even better, agree!

This is why Ford need to start consulting directly in forums such as AFF, we are the people that more directly purchase these vehicles and we all have a pretty good idea of what we want.

Can the mods directly engage Ford to start a section where Ford can communitcate with the forums re new model ideas or upgrades and visa versa????
Old 20-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #108
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Hi, was looking at this. Referring back to an older thread title Saddle Up boys - look what's coming!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=saddle

In summary, CAT600 - has made mention that the the max rpm for the
* TR6060 (T56 with heavier and stronger internals) as fitted to the S/C GS/GT is good for 6800rpm max when flat shifted...
* T56 with it's lighter internals are good to "around 7600rpm without issue and are plenty strong enough even in the base 440lbft form"
There is a lot of talk on various US forums about the TR6060's issues on the 1-2.... A quick google search will show Camaro/Corvette/GT500 forum members talking about the grinding.

The T56 used a Carbon Fibre/Paper synchro where the TR6060 uses bronze metallic. The Bronze is stronger but slower from what I have read.... slow shifting means that if you rush the shift the synchro cant keep up and you get a grind... once you get a grind irreversible damage occurs to the Synchro.... the heavier internals of the 6060 (Gear width) give it more inertia and therefore its harder work for the synchro especially at higher rpm.

Thinner oils (Like Transmax Z ATF) and a clutch with less weight and quick, smooth disengagement will make a huge difference as well.

Mal Wood told me just the other day that the T56 Magnum will shift at 7500 no worries.... I hope he's right!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #109
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo83
You mean like the GT name plate that was not about for all those years?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #110
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
There is a lot of talk on various US forums about the TR6060's issues on the 1-2.... A quick google search will show Camaro/Corvette/GT500 forum members talking about the grinding.

The T56 used a Carbon Fibre/Paper synchro where the TR6060 uses bronze metallic. The Bronze is stronger but slower from what I have read.... slow shifting means that if you rush the shift the synchro cant keep up and you get a grind... once you get a grind irreversible damage occurs to the Synchro.... the heavier internals of the 6060 (Gear width) give it more inertia and therefore its harder work for the synchro especially at higher rpm.

Thinner oils (Like Transmax Z ATF) and a clutch with less weight and quick, smooth disengagement will make a huge difference as well.

Mal Wood told me just the other day that the T56 Magnum will shift at 7500 no worries.... I hope he's right!

Daniel
Thanks Guru!

Off topic. So, how the heck do they get the T56 Magnum which is rated at what ~1000Nm or thereabout to be able to shift to 7500rpm? Is it all to do with the carbon fibre / paper versus bronze synchro mentioned in your posting.

On topic. A manual gearbox with 7000rpm capability is needed for NA Coyote.

At least the auto is sussed though. The ZF6HP26 can take 7700 input shaft rpm and 7450rpm output shaft rpm. Which was from the link below.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/printthread.php?t=79743

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #111
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Thanks Guru!

Off topic. So, how the heck do they get the T56 Magnum which is rated at what ~1000Nm or thereabout to be able to shift to 7500rpm? Is it all to do with the carbon fibre / paper versus bronze synchro mentioned in your posting.

On topic. A manual gearbox with 7000rpm capability is needed for NA Coyote.

At least the auto is sussed though. The ZF6HP26 can take 7700 input shaft rpm and 7450rpm output shaft rpm. Which was from the link below.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/printthread.php?t=79743
Guru, yeah right

I dont know, I just hope Mal is right.... I dont need the car to shift that quick anyway (its not a drag application) but those with an NA Coyote chasing times would.

The ZF will do 7700 shifts with a software change for sure.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #112
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

all this talk about the power of each motor to sell a car....what about the extras that sells cars ...
holden do such a great job at this compaired to ford
Holden are just better at adding extras at no cost eg blue tooth, sat nav better radios etc brembo brakes on redline range at no extra cost (which should be standard on the GS for that price)
people want value for money
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #113
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Is Holden the one doing it, or the dealers speccing their floor stock that way and pricing them to move?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #114
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Is Holden the one doing it, or the dealers speccing their floor stock that way and pricing them to move?
take a look at the standard spec of an SS or SSV/redline, and compare to an XR8/GS. the Ford is almost poverty-pack in comparison.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #115
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
take a look at the standard spec of an SS or SSV/redline, and compare to an XR8/GS. the Ford is almost poverty-pack in comparison.
yep and this is why ford arnt selling imo
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post