Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Default Do you use Paint Protection? Which one?

Hey Guys,

After finding a few impurities on the paint of my new ute i've decided that i'd like to know about the sorts of paint protection you can get, and some feedback from people that may have it on their cars?

Is it worth the money you paid for it?

How much did you pay for it?

Which product is the winner? Are there any to stay away from?

I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Stay away from all of them, they are a con IMO.
No paint protection lasts longer than the waxes you can buy from any spare parts outlets.
Wax your car every month if it's in the sun, or every 3 months if it's in a garage or carport.

Rick.
Old 25-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Hoops
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Stay away from all of them, they are a con IMO.
No paint protection lasts longer than the waxes you can buy from any spare parts outlets.
Wax your car every month if it's in the sun, or every 3 months if it's in a garage or carport.

Rick.
Agreed, I will never get it on any of my cars, with paint protection you will never get your car looking as good when its just had a wax :
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
GRUNTA

What about imperfections such as swirl marks and small scratches would'nt the paint protection fix this
Old 25-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTA
What about imperfections such as swirl marks and small scratches would'nt the paint protection fix this
You are better off sticking with a good polish and a wax as it should get rid of any swirl marks and scratches. Personally I recommend Bowdens.
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTA
No, just a light polish will remove swirl marks, and any other imperfections may need a slightly more abrasive polish.

Polish removes paint.
Wax protects paint.
Paint cleaners are also availabe to remove chemicals, etc. These don't actually polish the finish, rather just remove the residue.

'Paint protection' pakages simply polish then wax, and usually charge stupid money.

The process is easily achievable with product available from any spare parts outlet and a few hours. Total cost will be less than $50.

Rick.
Old 25-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

No I dont use it, mainly because Ive seen how its made up. It is literally about 3 bottles or so of stuff mixed together and then sprayed onto the car.

My car has it but I didnt put it on there and I most certainly didnt pay for it. Ive almost removed it all with Meguiars products anyway, and I can guarantee you that once Ive given my car the full treatment with Megs stuff (wash, paint cleaner, scratchx and wax), it will look shinier, clearer and cleaner than ANY car with that stuff on it.

Its a con. Why else do you think they always have a woman at the dealership whose job it is to sell it?
Old 25-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Paintprotection is a good idea if your car spends alot of time in the sun or wind.

Demending on the weather conditions and the frequency of washes a good wax should last over a year. If you over wax the paint will appear to loose it's depth.

I wax mine once a year.

It is a good idea to give your car a polish prior to wax as the polish removed a very thin layer and then you wax this. If your paint is old or dull then you will have to cut it first, this removes a little more paint.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Every panel beater/ detailer I've (or anyone else I know who has) spoken to reccomends doing the work yourself. Paint protectants are a con. My brother had it on his (purchased new) Festiva, and tried to claim for a stain in the paint from bird-poo, and was told that it wasn't covered after the salesman clearly stated it was. Avoid it like the plague. Besides, if you have it applied after picking up the car from the dealer you leave yourself open to the "That must of been there before we applied "Brand X" protectant" line. :

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
philby

I to tend to aggree - it's a con, I paid for it on my new Terri - after someone at work recommended it. Cost me about $300, and I can't see what it has actually done.

I have waxed and polished the car a couple of times using the tinted liquid car polish and it looks no different to what it was like new. Plus the polish makes it easier to clean with a simple wash and rinse.

So I say save yourself $300 and polish it yourself!!!! cos that's all I think they do
philby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
nang3

mate if you want the best result use Zaino .. the first time takes a few hours but once you run your finger along the paint after using the claybar you will understand why.. it really does feel like glass..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

i purchased paint protection with my BA, its a waste of money....i use Meguiars products..goood stuff...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops
Agreed, I will never get it on any of my cars, with paint protection you will never get your car looking as good when its just had a wax :
Agreed, i got it on my Rodeo. it never shines as much after a wash as one with no paint protection.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default Hang on fellas

I agree with you all on dealership applied paint protection - they actually do apply the product but most are outdated standard polymer sealants that leave residue on trim and other areas if too much is applied.
They last no more than three months if that and they only apply one coat anyway

Don't pay any dealership for that stuff on your next new car

Now to boutique paint sealants that I use

These are totally unique cutting edge super polymer, ceramic and acrylic sealants that are ultra easy to use, do not leave residue and with two or more coats applied (giving a couple hours to a full day to cure unless you have zaino flash curing additive) you will get five to twelve months of protection

They can also be used on wheels, glass, some on plastics like your trim and are far cheaper for 1 - 4 litres than one coating of a crappy dealership one

JamieXR6 is the man to talk to if you want opinions from someone besides me, he uses some products that I do and swears by them
You can also put wax over the top of the sealants too
Would take probably 15 - 30 minutes max to apply a coat to a falcon

Wax sits on top of paint, sealants bond and cure to it, becoming part of the paint providing several hundred degrees resistant protective barriers

Visit detailcity.com and click on lsp (last step products forum) for more info
best of all you can use acrylic or ceramic ones first and put super polymer sealants over the top for a slicker, glossier finish
Old 26-07-2005, 02:33 AM   #15
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Co worker just paid $595 for this "paint protection" for her $48,000 HSV. The paint work already has numerous blemishes in it.
$500 odd can buy a lot of great cleaning products.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #16
xr8daz

"Underbody sealer / deadener" is another great car yard scam.....2 cans of K&H body deadener ($12 each) half an hour labour ($25) and hey presto....$700 to the car yard thanks !!
DAZ
xr8daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #17
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8daz
"Underbody sealer / deadener" is another great car yard scam.....2 cans of K&H body deadener ($12 each) half an hour labour ($25) and hey presto....$700 to the car yard thanks !!
DAZ
Now that is nasty.
It's all about making as much money as possible
Old 26-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #18
niko
likes falcon's

G.A.R.A.G.E works a treat ;)
Old 02-10-2005, 02:31 AM   #19
Celts88

Unhappy

I assume the Motorone Fifth Dimensions Paint, Leather, Cloth, Vinyl and Alloy protection system is a waste of money : : : :
Celts88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #20
SVR73
Mr Polish

Have heard of motor one's gear but I will not comment as I have not tried it
What most dealership's sell are old school paint sealants that do more harm than good and if you read the warranty, 99% of the stuff that your car can be affected with is not covered by the warranty.

Any paint sealant that is available through car care stores is far better.
Meguiars #21 sealant is a nice one, #20 however is a polish and sealant and I don't like products that claim to clean, clay, cut, polish and seal your paint
Every time you are using it, it is taking a small amount of paint off

There are lots out there and these are just a few I like and some that I know of

Klasse
Platinum UPP
Wolfgang Deep gloss
Ultra Gloss
Poorboys World
Pinnacle
Stoners
Zaino
Blackfire
Du Pont
Toughseal
Omikron
Menzerna full metal jacket
Old 02-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #21
Deano.72
Starter Motor

I agree with most of the other guys on this,my fathers and a mates car were both paint protected from new at a fairly high cost.If you don't intend on looking after your paint yourself with regular re-applications of wax then the dealer protection may be the way for you.My car is always higher polished than the other two cars but alot of work goes to maintain this. I highly recommend either Bowdens own, or Meguiars polishes to anyone who cares to listen.There is also a Mothers polishing machine on the market that may cut down application and effort time for this process.
Deano.72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #22
EL_futuraistic

$595 for the HSV.. that was cheap.

I just bought a 1yr old Nissan, the woman (as always) tried to sell me the interior/exterior protection with free window tint for $1650

Interesting you say about the bird droppings Des..... cause thats the exact example they used when trying to sell it to me.

Totally Agree, its a ripoff.... nothing some Meguires Gold Class once every couple of months cant fix.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #23
gtfpv
GT

mate they tried to sell it to me for my black BA GT FOR $800. SIAD I WAS MAD FOR NOT DOINGit on a black car. i said after making enquiries no way . low and behold . on the day of pick up .we have done you a favour for free and applied paint protection . as we do with all black cars . well you better order me another GT without it i said , i don't want the car .
AND GUESS WHAT . the detailer promptly told me that it is a laod of sshhhit and he puts it on to make his job easy as it takes all day to poish a black car and the protectant can be applied in 1 hr or less. dont worry he said you can polish it off with any polish it will come off after a few washes anyway .this calmed my nerves i took the car and polished it with mcguires tech wax 1 week later and the finish came up better.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post