Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #31
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Mate why dont you contact the inspector from the ASRF and speak to him what you are required to do. Being a member of the ASRF is all that is required for club rego, no car clubs needed. All I had to do was provide a noise and brake test no RWC as they do the inspections themselves and if they pass it thats it. Phone numbers can be found on the ASRF website.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Thanks for the reply Agony I'll give them a buzz.

Nice to see that your Rod is legal in QL.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

No stress mate.

Yes good to have it finally legal and regoed, funny thing is it was ready for rego in Vic the way it sat so you can see from state to state how little rules change. The best advice I can give you is speak to the person who is going to do yours and only that person. Other peoples stories will not help you out with your car as they seem to change a little from car to car aswell. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #34
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ

Well thats expected of vic roads... why are you surprised.
Because I've seen other cars driving around on historic plates that while safer than a stock example don't look to me as if they would comply with the the narrow definitions of a RWC.

You've never seen a coupe or 4 seater on CH plates with a cage, harness and no rear seats?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #35
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, a matter of fact we are building a 66 fastback with a fairly comprehensive cage with the rear seats taken out that will be going on club reg.

90 day reg is also another option.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #36
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Maybe it is a harder option going on historic plates, might be far easier going with SR plates.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
Rev28K
re

Thanks Agony I'll probably be going for the easiest option. I just have a hard time thinking of a 1200cc FWD Honda as a Street Rod (although they did go better than some of the XA GT's at Bathurst in 73 : ).

KPOJ the fastbacks were originally a 2+2. How is that car going to be elegible for a RWC and therefore Club reg if it doesn't have the original rear seats and normal belts? Details please.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #38
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure, i can ask.

Possibly because its a shelby replica that never had rear seats. The main hoop is a genuine shelby item. But as i said ill ask for you mate
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #39
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

KPOJ - there isn't 90 day reg, that is the new club permit system.

Rev, from memory you can get an engineer's cert. to change to legal 2-seat status. Have a look at Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information documents. A pain, but probably the easiest way around it. Other clubs may operate differently - that is one of the strengths and weaknesses of the system.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #40
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds great .. and a long time coming. If I ever get my Plymouth Fury RWC again I'll register it on this (and my VJMC bikes), but the '69 Javelin has original plates I don't want to part with, and the '74 Javelin has personalised plates I don't want to part with either .. so no savings there :(

Do current club-rego vehicles automatically apply for 90day permit scheme or do they have to be changed over?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #41
Rev28K
re

As far as I know its a proposal that is meant to be introduced in late 2010 (refer to Auslandau's original posts) with the option of getting 45 day or 90 day a year historic rego with log books.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #42
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I've just run in to a problem.

My car is modified and I bought it unregistered. I want to get it registered under club rego at the moment (only drive to club events then drive it 45/90 days when the new club rego system kicks in).

The club that I'm looking at joining don't do inspections they just need a car to have a RWC and they will okay it. My problem is that the car was originally a 4 seater. When I bought it the rear seats and belts had been removed, a bolt in roll cage, race seats and 4 point harnesses fitted and the battery has been relocated to behind the passenger seat.

I'm happy enough to have the car registered with it's seating capacity changed to 2 seats. But apparently to get a RWC it has to comply with the original RWC requirements that where in place when it was new (meaning rear seats and belts and retractable front seat belts rather than a harness).

Has anyone else run in to this problem before and how did they get around it? I don't want to have to track down original rear seats, front and rear seat belts and relocate the battery. It seems like a waste of time and money and a backwards step to the safety of the car at the moment.
Couldnt this be rego'd as a rally car?
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Bringing back this thread. Does anyone know if a club car (ie; Stripped with a roll cage) will be able to take advantage of this new system?
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #44
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Bringing back this thread. Does anyone know if a club car (ie; Stripped with a roll cage) will be able to take advantage of this new system?
If it passes a standard Vic Roadworthy, then it will.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #45
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

is the scheme up and running yet??
Old 15-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Not till the sometime towards the end of the year ...... fingers crossed.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #47
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Depends on the club, but many wouldn't allow it. Some, have a CH inspector/officer that has a check list of items that need to pass. Other clubs require a RWC.
By the letter of the terms, the car has to be in a "safe and driveable condition". But, that is presently, with the logbook it may change.
You still have to be a member of a club that takes part in the CH scheme. There's a list on both the Vicroads website, but also the AOMC. They're an assoc, which many clubs are members of.
We have an inspector, and you must present it once a year at a CH plate day we have at a members workshop/mechanic or businees who lets us take over. This way, we know the cars are still "safe" and we throw on a bbq and everyone comes and has a chat. That's on the "lenient" end of the spectrum.
it will be interesting what they finalise with insurance/TAC - at present there isn't any. it's a permit scheme, not a rego scheme. But, that will change.
For many guys who have seriously modded cars, as some have mentioned you may find it easier to go Rod plates.
www.aomc.asn.au

Submissions close end of Jan, and they have been talking second half of this year if all goes smoothly and there haven't been too many objections, which going by the feedback at the seminar thing they held last year, there was only a couple of grumbles and they weren't major.

Cheers,

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #48
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Well its just about here. A complete overhall of club permits in vic and the changes are very good news for anyone with a car older than 25 years, have access to a club that has these available (many) and drive their cars 90 days a year (About twice a week!) 45 day passes are also available

The introduction is expected to be in the first half of next year and works on a log book system which you fill before you travel. Beats the hell out of paying for a full registration on something you bring out only from time to time. It covers replicas, modified,rods and classic cars ..... or anything that is 25 years plus.

VIC ROADS REPORT
THey are also asking for submissions into the scheme.
VIC ROAD SITE FOR SUBMISSIONS
I hope it comes up here, this is a great scheme and not before time, just one thing guys, yes you have to be a member of a club, but dont just join a club for the rego, be a part of the club dont just pay the membership every year

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #49
Rev28K
re

Thanks for the replies everyone

JCXR - I could get the car on rally rego but I'm a circuit racing guy at heart. I feel that rally reg is a bit too restrictive in Vic (more so than club reg). They had to tighten it up from where it was in the past but I feel that Vicroads went too far.

GBG - I spoke to a rep from the NDSOC (his initials are DH) and he said that they would probably let me club register the car. NDSOC seemed a bit lenient but sensible about it too, the yearly inspection at a workshop seems like a good way of doing it. If I have no luck with the club that I was talking too I'll certainly come calling.
Old 16-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #50
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone

GBG - I spoke to a rep from the NDSOC (his initials are DH) and he said that they would probably let me club register the car. NDSOC seemed a bit lenient but sensible about it too, the yearly inspection at a workshop seems like a good way of doing it. If I have no luck with the club that I was talking too I'll certainly come calling.
Rev28K - cannot tell you how good that club is, awesome people, great cars, c'tee seem like top people.... nudge nudge wink wink.......
That and NDSOC have a 8-10 round motorsport championship - plenty of track days....
We'll soon have a 2nd inspector - just for conveniece. DH is on one side of town so we'll have someone on the other side so it's easiest for everyone.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #51
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Passing up the benefits of 90 day rego because of the colour of the number plates? What a bunch of wusses.

At least they are talking about having them in slimline now.
How about if they are the original number plates?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #52
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
How about if they are the original number plates?
Yes, I'd just let you have a pass with that arguement.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #53
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Well its just about here. A complete overhall of club permits in vic and the changes are very good news for anyone with a car older than 25 years, have access to a club that has these available (many) and drive their cars 90 days a year (About twice a week!) 45 day passes are also available

The introduction is expected to be in the first half of next year and works on a log book system which you fill before you travel.
I have heard that the proposed changes are now with the minister for his approval. Looks like the particular club that was trying to put forward the argument against this has been ignored thank god. It can't come soon enough.
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #54
SVD

Quote:
I've just run in to a problem.

My car is modified and I bought it unregistered. I want to get it registered under club rego at the moment (only drive to club events then drive it 45/90 days when the new club rego system kicks in).

The club that I'm looking at joining don't do inspections they just need a car to have a RWC and they will okay it. My problem is that the car was originally a 4 seater. When I bought it the rear seats and belts had been removed, a bolt in roll cage, race seats and 4 point harnesses fitted and the battery has been relocated to behind the passenger seat.

I'm happy enough to have the car registered with it's seating capacity changed to 2 seats. But apparently to get a RWC it has to comply with the original RWC requirements that where in place when it was new (meaning rear seats and belts and retractable front seat belts rather than a harness).

Has anyone else run in to this problem before and how did they get around it? I don't want to have to track down original rear seats, front and rear seat belts and relocate the battery. It seems like a waste of time and money and a backwards step to the safety of the car at the moment.
i believe you get a Engineers report for it (in vic) that allows it to be reg'd as a two seater and have a full RWC done

I believe, but i too will soon have to find this out as well...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #55
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

all good would still love a sticker rather that a rego plate but here's hoping. And of course including the TS50 before the next 15 yrs is up considering that in the last 5 yrs its gone up to 9 months without leaving the gararge. but baby steps.....
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #56
Kryton

Dont know why your having trouble with the rear seats - the seat belts i can understand, just change them to retractable for the RWC and them take them out.
I done a RWC a on 7 seater GQ patrol at the end of last year and presented it with only 5 seats.
I asked the RWC tester if it had to have al of the 7 seats since it has 7 seats on the VIN/Chassis plates and he said "NO", it doesnt.
He passed it with only the 5 seats.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #57
schultzie
Just Images

what is it going to cost to join a club then? id love to be able to drive my fairlane around even though it is a bit rough around the seams
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #58
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends what club. The one I'm in is $55 a year (plus you pay for your plates on top of that, and to keep your plates you must keep your membership)
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #59
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to update that the new log book system will be introduced as of February 2011. So as your red plate renewal comes up you will be put onto the new system. At this stage I've only received sketchy details but I think it was 45 days for $65 and 90 days for $120.

Now my understanding was that these 'log book' fees were to be placed on top of the current 'plate' fee ie: $110 plate + $65 log book = $175/year. But I will have to track down if this is true....

You won't be able to 'upgrade' from 45 to 90 or downgrade until your next renewal.

As I've said, I'm still sketchy on the details on exact prices, conditions etc. But the date is set for February 2011. I would suggest that anyone involved with the red plate scheme get into contact with their Fed rep, AOMC rep, etc to find out exact details.

If (and when) I find out more info I will post it up here. If anyone does have any questions, just PM me. I'm more than happy to track down an answer for you

Cheers
Melz

PS. There has also been discussion on the altering of the limits of age on the scheme. But it will stay at cars entering there 26th year (25 years)
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post