Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Being they are only council and not even a police level of authority wouldn't you be within your rights to refuse access to your property?
Various state and territory legislation gives Councils the power to authorise someone to enter your property, with or without your permission and with such help from the fuzz as they need.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #32
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Con
I think I can see where they are coming from, maybe a bit heavy handed for the average Joe who wants to do a bit of maintenance/repairs every now and then.

But at the other end of the scale, who wants to live next door to the procrastinator who has numerous wrecks rusting away and a property littered with old car parts.
I cant see where they are coming from, but I can I see where its heading.... Communism.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is it true if a car is registered, you can legally park it on the street in front of your property?

I'm curious to these laws as I might have a few extra cars that wont fit in my driveway soon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #34
Barry_v
rocknrolla

these laws come about as a way of justifying beaurocrats jobs. In reality there is simply no need to even think about introducing such laws because suffient laws are already in place. The most common complaint everyone has against their neighbours is excessive noise - the source is simply not important! If you're creating an excessive amount of noise you can be dealt with, either by the police or by the council. It doesnt matter if you're creating that noise with a ghetto blaster, a hammer or the world's largest woopie cushion. There is no need to get specific!

Most council bi-laws can viewed in the same way, even the silly ones that say you cant put a 'for sale' sign on your car. They claim to have introduced it to combat cars being parked illegally or dangerously - yet by definition these actions were already against the law.

The thing that is good about council laws is they often lack the reasources, the will or even the legal powers to act on any complaints. They are after all, a glorified garbage collection agency.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you will probably find is some obnoxious twerp who works in the town planning dept. either hates car owners (e.g. screwby) or has had a problem with a neighbor who work on his car.

They just make this stuff up and unless you fight them they will win.

We had an idiot here once who just hated the world and created havoc. He was eventually forced out of town but not until after he had cost the council $squillions in legal fees fighting upset rate payers.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #36
Mad Maxine

Yet another unworkable, unfair, blanket ruling. Instead of making the laws specific to noise or air pollution (as you would expect from a Sustainability point of view), let's just stop everyone working on their cars. Innocent penalised as guilty without cause.

Now, if only the bloody council would come around here and collar that little fackwit who goes up and down my street and around the park directly outside my window on his friggin' trail bike at 8am every Saturday and Sunday. THAT'S noise pollution if I ever heard it.

/fuming yet again at everyday liberties being constantly eroded by stupid laws

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #37
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Ah, another law, oops i mean restriction on civil liberty, introduced and ignored.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine
Yet another unworkable, unfair, blanket ruling. Instead of making the laws specific to noise or air pollution (as you would expect from a Sustainability point of view), let's just stop everyone working on their cars. Innocent penalised as guilty without cause.
What I dont like is:

Quote:
“For day to day maintenance it is as detailed in any vehicle manual and is limited to checking oil, water, air and making minor repairs like changing a windscreen wiper or bulb to ensure the safe operation of a vehicle.”
This would have to be one of the most ignorant, arrogant statements I have seen all year. Quite typical of a town planner to say something like this; they often have a sheltered, ignorant view of the real world outside of their policy dribble and colouring-in drawings.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Is it true if a car is registered, you can legally park it on the street in front of your property?

I'm curious to these laws as I might have a few extra cars that wont fit in my driveway soon.
What exactly do you mean? If a car is registered you can legally park it ANYWHERE on the street / gutter parking providing it does not go against specific signed rules like no stopping / standing or timed parking.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #40
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is as bad as what was on the nes the other night in regards to the feberal gov's "dob in a ..." random things like coughing WTF AUSTRALIA shut up and have a VB!
Old 24-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually now i have had a think about this , some years ago i got knocked off for parking on the nature strip , narrow residential street, full size school buses squeeze down our street, what a criminal i must be, yet in my driveway and garage, i rebuilt a 2 stroke detroit deisel from sump to blower out of a kenworth (took 4.5 weeks, huge job) also rebuilt road ranger, gearbox kenworth, + plenty more jobs, perhaps Melbourne is not so bad .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #42
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Was this by-law put forward on 1st April??

If this law came in where I live I would be put in jail for LIFE!!
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #43
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I don't know how it works in Oz but here you can go around your city and collect signatures on a petition to put the law up for a vote. Of course it takes a certain amount of signatures. Does it work that way there?

I would imagine that getting enough signatures would be easy enough. I bet hardly any people know about this law.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #44
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I don't know how it works in Oz but here you can go around your city and collect signatures on a petition to put the law up for a vote. Of course it takes a certain amount of signatures. Does it work that way there?

I would imagine that getting enough signatures would be easy enough. I bet hardly any people know about this law.

Steve
Not sure about that one, but I have a feeling that they also need to be signed off by the state government.

edit: Thinking about it... the public can put a bill to the state parliament, so it is likely for local councils, in which case a disgruntled neighbour could be a pain in the backside.

I have trouble believing this one, but I have seen some dodgy by-laws, one is now currently under gov. review here in SA.

Last edited by morak001; 24-07-2010 at 03:32 AM.
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #45
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Con
I think I can see where they are coming from, maybe a bit heavy handed for the average Joe who wants to do a bit of maintenance/repairs every now and then.

But at the other end of the scale, who wants to live next door to the procrastinator who has numerous wrecks rusting away and a property littered with old car parts.
We had a neighbour in a house we used to live in who was constantly working on his cars. Plenty of welding, grinding and panel work sopmetimes till 2 or 3 in the morning. None of the other neighbours me included, would question this bloke because he rode a harley and had a lot mates round on their harley's so most likely a member of an MC. So we just had to put up with it. I don't see issues with peole working on cars, but I think there needs to be a cap on the times you can and can't work on cars when theres going to be alot of noise coming from the shed. If your going to do it till 3 in the morning, then things like body work and any grinding should be left until the day.

I suspect alot of councils have these ruiles in place because of complaints from residents about noisy car builders in back yards. Which is more than fair.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have been known for lots of cutting, welding and grinding going on in the shed... we usually pull up around tea time.. then hit the bbq and beers.. can get a little rowdy neighbours probably wish we kept cutting, welding and grinding......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #47
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
We had a neighbour in a house we used to live in who was constantly working on his cars. Plenty of welding, grinding and panel work sopmetimes till 2 or 3 in the morning. None of the other neighbours me included, would question this bloke because he rode a harley and had a lot mates round on their harley's so most likely a member of an MC. So we just had to put up with it. I don't see issues with peole working on cars, but I think there needs to be a cap on the times you can and can't work on cars when theres going to be alot of noise coming from the shed. If your going to do it till 3 in the morning, then things like body work and any grinding should be left until the day.

I suspect alot of councils have these ruiles in place because of complaints from residents about noisy car builders in back yards. Which is more than fair.
Had something similar you should have gone round they are usually drunk and dont think its that late its a good way of getting free beer.
The first time I went round I said I thought someone was breaking in to steal motobikes and woke up because of the noise. Got some free beer and asked them to keep it down and they were pretty good after that.
Pepole should respect other people and shouldnt make enough noise at night to wake neihbours up
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #48
ltd
Force Fed Fords

One thing that is funny though is the mayors name; Hanjin BAN. Gives new meaning to something being banned. My guess is she's living up to her names' sake.

Not to offend anyone, but it seems like she mightn't be the full quid either having been disendorsed by the Nationals. Obviously very bright but at the same time stupid - leg extensions. 12 months off in rehab and and tens of thousands of dollars spent for what? 4 inches? I know someone who's a midget and even he wouldn't be so vainglorious to do it.

Quote: