Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
SE Ute

Default RACV & choosing own repairer

Didn't want to hijack the RACV vs Just Cars thread, although it's along the same lines, but just a quick question re: RACV insurance, does anyone know if i can choose my own repairer with them??

I've had to make a claim yesterday, some @#$%hole has scraped my car in the carpark behind work, a nice dint and paint scraped off from the back of the drivers door to almost a foot back along the tray, couldn't have got more panels in the one hit if they'd tried, and they were nice enough to NOT leave their name, but i wont vent here, i just hope the karma gods are striking them down now, i'm gonna do some questioning in the neighbouring offices at lunch time today, but i doubt it'll do any good. I'm also inspecting all cars i see coming or going near work, for evidence, i wouldn't want to be the culprit if i find them now. :jab: Accidents happen, and i can live with that, but doing a runner is low, very low. I park out the back to avoid the public/clients who park out the front opening doors on my car and then this happens, wonder if it's worth it, should buy a commodore and then i wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, what i wanted to know is i was talking to the claims guy at RACV on the phone last night, he's given me the details of their local "preferred" repairer, i asked if i had to take it there and he said yes, i always thought RACV allowed you to choose your own repairer, but his english wasn't the best and it was a bit hard to get any questions in with his faux concern for my welfare. Apparently somebody else is going to call me in the next couple of days in regard to my claim, so i will discuss it with them. I just wanted to educate myself about it before i discussed it with RACV or took it to the preferred repairer for inspection, i've read my policy booklet, but it doesn't really mention it.

If i can choose my own repairer, can anybody recommend a good panel beater in the outer east of melbourne, i've been recommended a place by a friend who i'd like to have a look at it, but i'm open to any other suggestions. Also if anybody knows what RACV's preferred repairer in Lilydale is like please let me know, if they're ok maybe i'll just take it there for convenience. I won't name them here, in case i breach forum rules, but i can PM them to anybody if you like.

Sorry about the long post, i got a bit carried away. Thanks for your wisdom and help guys, muchly appreciated.

SE Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

RACV are going though a big money saving campaign, they cut down all there mechanical repairers for insurance damaged cars on June 30 this year, they made everyone tender and if the shop price wasn't discounted enough they were chopped as a RACV insurance repairer.
They’re struggling because all there shops are under the pump as the RACV are trying to steer all there work though there shops that put in a discounted tender.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

You don't have to go to a prefered repairer. But if you do not RACV may not back up the repairs with the life time warrenty. I don't see why you wouldn't go to a prefered.

RACV are currently tendering work to prefered repairers. Not only is it keeping claims costs down but keeps premiums down.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
SE Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I don't see why you wouldn't go to a prefered.
A previous car i had that was sent away by AAMI, i was not entirely happy with, paint didn't match, badges crooked. And receptionist here at work has sent her car back to repairer a number of times for problems after the insurance company's panel beater cut corners.

Just don't want to send my car to a dodgy panel beater, would prefer to send it to somewhere with a good reputation. I don't know what the preferred repairer is like, they might be very good for all i know, just being a bit skeptical is all, after all the bad stories i've heard.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what i can find out about the preferred place compared to other local places, see what's best.
SE Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

LTDHO is again correct you do not have to go with their preferred repairer but the way it works up here is that you must get at least 2 quotes one from a preferred repairer and one from the repairer of your choice as long as they are comparable the choice is really yours.

Watch out for the fine print on Lifetime Guarantee of repair work usually it is only whilst you own the vehicle that the guarantee is upheld so unless you are going to have the vehicle for a really long time than it doesn’t really hold that much weight.

Cheers, Tori
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Ute
A previous car i had that was sent away by AAMI, i was not entirely happy with, paint didn't match, badges crooked. And receptionist here at work has sent her car back to repairer a number of times for problems after the insurance company's panel beater cut corners.

Just don't want to send my car to a dodgy panel beater, would prefer to send it to somewhere with a good reputation. I don't know what the preferred repairer is like, they might be very good for all i know, just being a bit skeptical is all, after all the bad stories i've heard.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what i can find out about the preferred place compared to other local places, see what's best.
I thought we were talking about RACV not AAMI??

The repairers are not supposed to 'cut corners' and this is not requester or endorced by insurance companies. There are two obvious reasons, first being that it will cost more in complaints and rectification and secondly it is very bad company exposure (ie the insurance company wouldn't look good requestion corners to be cut).
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post