Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #31
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
If you break the law and you're caught, deal with it. If you don't want fines, then don't get caught speeding.
Or, change the bull laws and introduce realistic speed limits.

Fight the bastards, if they want their revenue make them work for it. At least there will be one less cop on the road for a couple of hours while he's tied up in the court.

Panda
Old 14-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #32
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
CASE CLOSED - DISMISSED.
As its a statutory offence and carries statutory penalties, technically the judge should only dismiss the charges if the police officer neglected standard operating procedures in speed measurement.

What you should do is try and get your hands on the NSW Police SOP for a visual check of speed measurement. Read what the procedure says, try and see if they have been followed in this case.

Also write and request if the car's speedo has been recently calibrated, and whether it was in the area of the officer's duty or expertise to perform that duty.

For a true detective to pull someone over for speeding is a once in a blue moon, I would put my money on she was pulled over by delta group, which are somewhere in between general duties and detectives from what I know. These are the guys who usually go around in the semi marked commodores (with just the sticker down the side) or the camry and magnas - not that it really matters as what XA has said - so the argument that the officer wasnt trained in speed measurement would prolly get thrown out pretty quick.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #33
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
Or, change the bull laws and introduce realistic speed limits.

Fight the bastards, if they want their revenue make them work for it. At least there will be one less cop on the road for a couple of hours while he's tied up in the court.

Panda
Breaking the speed limit is not an effective way to make them consider changing it. : "Yes officer, I know I was speeding. I think we should have the speed limit made faster here. Oh, an there's no way I'm paying your fine!! You'll have to sue me for that!"

Genius. :yeees:

Now if you really wanted to do soething about the laws, why not become another blood-sucking politician?!

Oh wait wait!! I know!! Don't speed??!

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #34
MrQuan
Social Disaster

I have to say the mentality towards speeding and fines by some people here really concerns me. Some of you must be outright dangerous on the roads and I'd hate to be in your path.

I really get pi$sed about threads like this.
  1. Person speeding in car...
  2. Person caught speeding in car...
  3. Person b!tches like a wimp about it...

AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? 5kms or 105kms, you were over the limit... and all half of you wanna do is fire up at the cops and 'the system'.

I'm no angel, I speed from time to time, however - if I'm caught, that's fair enought!! How can I argue??!! At least if I'm caught I can take it on the chin.

Grow up.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #35
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off topic a little bit, Did anyone see that Asian fella get doen between Sydney and Newcastle at 234kph?

Only saw the snippet on the news he claimed "He was scared driving at night, cause it was dark and he just wanted to get home" Funny thing was he looked as if he actually was telling the thruth.. love to know what happened to him...

Ask yourself if you could be bothered fighting it in court, if so give it a go.. though would lawyers fees outweight the cost of the fine??

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #36
TX5 GT
Sold one of the Telstars

Hey ehy, he said he was only doing 184KMH
TX5 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #37
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX5 GT
Hey ehy, he said he was only doing 184KMH
they never admit the real speed hoping for a discount ...
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #38
347Stroker
Banned

Well at least you may have learnt a valuable lesson, NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING untill you have had legal advice. When you get pulled over, and he says "do you have any reason why you were speeding?" and you say "No" you have just admitted speeding.
Always act as if you didnt know you were speeding, and say nothing. I am unsure how he could book you for speeding if he had no real measure of your speed, seeing he didnt have a radar, but you have admitted fault, so get on with life.

As an old saying says,

You wanna play, you gotta pay.
So if you think you were hard done by, think of all the times you have gotten away with speeding and never gotten caught.
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #39
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Well at least you may have learnt a valuable lesson, NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING untill you have had legal advice. When you get pulled over, and he says "do you have any reason why you were speeding?" and you say "No" you have just admitted speeding.
Always act as if you didnt know you were speeding, and say nothing. I am unsure how he could book you for speeding if he had no real measure of your speed, seeing he didnt have a radar, but you have admitted fault, so get on with life.

As an old saying says,

You wanna play, you gotta pay.
So if you think you were hard done by, think of all the times you have gotten away with speeding and never gotten caught.
There is merit in what you say but be careful of talking yourself into a ticket. A lot of people are let off for lower end tickets because they don't lie to the cops when they get pulled over. Lie or ask for a warning and you are just about guaranteed to get a fine. It's a very fine line to tread .. and I wouldn't bother if it's HWP as you won't be getting a warning from then anyway !

It's easy to measure a car's speed without a radar .... use another car.
Old 18-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #40
347Stroker
Banned

Yes XA, I agree totally, I know in the past I have been pulled over for travelling at a just plain stupid speed, and when asked why I was speeding, I just told him to hurry up and book me, I had been out west for far too long, and was going into Mackay for a party, and was running late, and I guess he just understood where I was coming from. I was told that speeding on the Beef road was acceptable, because he doesnt patrol out there, but when near his town, boy I better behave in the future, and with that, he told me to take it easy, have a good weekend, and not cross him again.
I thanked him, and was on my way.
Just for the record, I was silly, and was travelling at well over 45k over, and was bloody lucky.
Old 18-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #41
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we all have our stories like that .. I won't state a speed but I got busted once in a 60 zone and managed to talk my way out of it ...but didn't lie but also didn't admit anything.... since then - 15 years ago, I don't do that sort of stuff on public roads. I guess back then I wasn't too old to learn
Old 18-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #42
347Stroker
Banned

Now if we could instill some of our knowledge into some of our younger members.....
Old 18-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #43
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Now if we could instill some of our knowledge into some of our younger members.....
the curse of the human race, we are all destined to make the same mistakes our fathers did.. and their fathers.. and their fathers ..
Old 18-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #44
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

just remember, every cop has an attitude test. **** them off and they will throw the book, keep them happy and they will give you a warning or at least drop the speed down so it doesn't hurt too much.