Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Crazynutt
Starter Motor

Default KA Fuel

Hey all,
I have a 2000 Ka, I'm currently using Shell's V-Power as it seems to ping with regular unleaded, and I was told the E10 stuff was bad for this car.

Can anyone suggest any other fuel that might be better?
What are you using and what kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks.

Crazynutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can put E10 in your Ka, according to my knoledge? I put wither V-Power or 98 Untimate in my 04 Fiesta. Works a treat! LOL. Not sure whats best to run in your rig, best to check the handbook to be 100% sure.

http://www.aussieethanol.com.au/arti...E10/Page1.html
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Crazynutt
Starter Motor

Heh, thanks for that RapidTyphoon, that's the first site I've seen with the Ka listed! Too bad it was running around in my car for a couple of months before I was told that E10 was not good for the car.

I have read the handbook before (multiple times actually) but I don't recall anything being said about the fuel apart from it needing to be unleaded, and they put a size filter in the fuel line to make sure that you could only put unleaded in.

Other than that, I don't think they specify which RON is best, or which fuel company to buy it from.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
Specifically, how the Ka reacts with different fuels in regard to cleanliness, quietness, smoothness, mileage etc.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Hey Crazhnutt,

You manual says it runs on unleaded and using higher octane fuels will give you no benefit.

The motor puts out a maximum of 43kW.

Use premium unleaded for your turbo beast by all means, but for the KA, a waste of money in my view; and Ford's view as well.

If it pings then it is not running right. It could be the petrol, but a service and tune should sort it out.

When did you last change the spark plugs?

Fuel economy drops if the KA is carrying heavy loads uphill with the air conditioner on.

But in general terms you should be getting mid 6s easy.(6.5 l/100km)
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Crazynutt
Starter Motor

Okay, so...I no know that Premium Unleaded only costs more, it doesn't add any benefits to the car in terms of mileage.

I know that various websites suggest that one should not run a Ka with E10, however I'm yet to find out why.

My dad, who also owns a Ka, runs his car on E10, and has found that it offers better fuel economy, runs quieter, does not ping and is a heck of a lot cheaper than any alternative.
Does anyone know why E10 has been branded as unusable in a Ka?

Someone has suggested that it only receives the 'unsuitable' tag because it didn't meet the EPA's pollution standards when tested, but other than this, the car can run on E10 fuel.
Can anyone confirm this, or offer an opinion contrary that will result in me knowing that E10 is definitely unsuitable for use in a Ka.

Also Cav, I don't know how long ago the spark plugs were changed, if ever, but given that both my Dad's Ka and mine both ping with Regular Unleaded fuel, I'd assume that this would not be the case.
That being said, I wouldn't ahve thought Ford would make a car ping with the suggested fuel.

In driving, I have noticed that the pinging sound only occurs when you put your foot down, if you drive reservedly, then it does not make the sound.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I'm afraid I disagree on the "no benefit" from premium unleaded.

For two reasons:

1. Most premium unleaded's have higher level detergency additives and will keep the engine cleaner. I have seen the gunk build up that regular unleaded can create compared to premium unleaded
2. BP claim that their Ultimate Unleaded has a higher calorific value, and that you will get greater mileage by using it. Check out their website for more info

I personally regard it as relatively cheap maintenance of your car. Despite being a very early adopter of V Power, I switched to BP Ultimate. I believe it is a better fuel

E10 is not suitable for a number of Ford small cars. Ethanol can be highly corrosive and can effect certain plastic parts in the fuel system if it's not designed for them. I always thought that was the problem for these "unsuitable" cars (Focus LR is also unsuitable)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Crazynutt
Starter Motor

Thanks Melbzetec,
I was thinking a while ago that the BP Ultimate might have been the better option.
My view of BP was clouded a while ago due to some stations diluting their fuel...although, their public image seems to have been somewhat lifted since then.

A number of people are suggesting that it is in fact a cleaner fuel when put alongside the V-Power and Optimax (are they the same?).

As Cav suggests, the manual states that 'higher octane fuels than that of the regular unleaded will provide no benefit to the car', however, if they offer the same direct mileage but run cleaner, then I guess that's the price you pay and you get a huge benefit. A cleaner running car not only runs better in itself (ending out in better indirect mileage) plus it is better for the environment, which I'm all for.

Also Melbzetec, thanks for giving your opinion on the E10. Given that statement, I'd rather not risk running it, I might even suggest to Dad that he stop it.

I think I'm almost going to convert to BP Ultimate, too bad they don't offer discount vouchers through a major food chain. *Sighs*