Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Insurance

Hey,

What insurance company are you with? Comprehensive? Third Party? Unlimited mods? Restrictions? Market Value? Agreed Value? Details and opinions would be great as Im thinking about changing mine as it is that time of year to renew...

I only had third party when I got my car but as Im starting to mod it and stuff, would like to be covered for it all

XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

aami 2003 BA XR6 4 speed auto. agreed at 18.5 as STANDARD. declared : 19" rims, slotted brakes, XR6T exhaust. Superlows, GT wing, GT interior bits, BF tail lights, Front grill kit and a few other bits and peices.
18, green ps. $1400 a year.

so basically if my car is written off, i have to spend a day in the shed putting the stock bits back on, then i send it off for my payout
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
aami 2003 BA XR6 4 speed auto. agreed at 18.5 as STANDARD. declared : 19" rims, slotted brakes, XR6T exhaust. Superlows, GT wing, GT interior bits, BF tail lights, Front grill kit and a few other bits and peices.
18, green ps. $1400 a year.

so basically if my car is written off, i have to spend a day in the shed putting the stock bits back on, then i send it off for my payout
This sounds a lot like my insurance.
93EB_SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
seduced_xr
BF XR6

double post
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing

Last edited by seduced_xr; 13-02-2011 at 04:54 AM.
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife's daily a VY with some bibs and bobs is with shannos for agreed value the whole car is covered wheels stereo the lot... No bit swapping everything is on the policy and it was cheaper than ALL the other agreed value quotes I had

My XP is also insured thigh shannons for agreed value as a limeted use car and because of the VY policy it was cheaper than 3rd party property again all accessories are covered

Then theres my project

Yep you guessed it it's covered with shannons as well that was cheaper than you would imagine

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Shannons, comprehensive, agreed value on my XR8, headers, exhaust, CAI.
They will cover any mods as long as they know about them and their rates are very good and they are great to deal with.
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

09 Turbo Ute, wheels, stereo, suspension, 37k value (which im not entirely happy about) $720 a year with $400 excess Aami. Im 27.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
lubby1

09 xr6 ute agreed value 34k, probably will go down a fair bit this year $660 with nrma although have other insurances with them
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

XB 6 Wagon - $22/mth with CUA (underwritten by CGU) for 3rd party fire and theft. Not worth anything for comp yet!
Old 13-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons... unbelievably cheap.
Have agreed value on my XB and they also insured my daily driver AU with agreed value as well.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lsv for me ,used to be with shannons but they came in cheaper for my 4 cars and bikes than shannons were with 2 of them and a bike with everymod covered s,chargers ex,susp,wheels.only catch you need a vehicle over 25yrs to start with then they cover the rest as well
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

AAMI here: (Full Comp)

2010 LV Focus TDCI 6sp manual
$25,990 cover
Excess $1800 (young drivers excess or some crap)

$2290 a year, a bit cheaper than my WS Fez which was $2400 a year.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, Damo.

AAMI (Comprehensive)

2010 LV Focus 4sp automatic (petrol)
$21,990 cover.
$400 excess? Something like that.

$450 a year.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
P S Y C H O

Default I work in insurance

It comes down to what are you looking for in a policy, write down questions before you call of things that are important to you
P S Y C H O is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
jlef5

LSV pretty funny as my last name is Lumley but no relation. Have the Eh agreed for $15000 with the v6, gearbox and all other mods covered, I'm 22 and pay $150 a year (no typo $150 a year) full comp very easy to deal with. Some limits as what you can insure though. they have 5 levels of insurance. Third party and 4 levels of full comp.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
Benjamin Smith

I am paying 900 a year on my car and im only 19, and al this is on a brand new XR50 ute
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
AAMI here: (Full Comp)

2010 LV Focus TDCI 6sp manual
$25,990 cover
Excess $1800 (young drivers excess or some crap)

$2290 a year, a bit cheaper than my WS Fez which was $2400 a year.

AAMI Do not have a young driver Excess, they only have standard, age and a thing called Flexi excess. I think you have been given a flexi excess to make the premium cheaper, which you can take off but the premium will increase. A flexi excess should be optional, I would check your paper work.

With AAMI you do not have choice of repairer they always choose the cheapest quote. Even if you submit your quote 95 percent of the time it will go to an AAMI recommended repairer.

I know all this as I worked for AAMI up until last week in the claims section.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Im with Aami and they do have a young driver excess. On my policys for the last few years the standard excess is $595 including the flexi thing. Then males under 22 pay an additional $700 under 25 $500 females under 22 $600 and under 25 $400 and anyone over 25 but licensed for less than 2 years an additional $200. I get a $100 excess discount for being a Ruby safe driver.

I will disagree with choice of repairers as well, as I have selected a panel shop when I caught a lady opening her door onto my car. Only thing i had to do was get at least 2 quotes, one of which was though an approved repairer.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Im with Aami and they do have a young driver excess. On my policys for the last few years the standard excess is $595 including the flexi thing. Then males under 22 pay an additional $700 under 25 $500 females under 22 $600 and under 25 $400 and anyone over 25 but licensed for less than 2 years an additional $200. I get a $100 excess discount for being a Ruby safe driver.

I will disagree with choice of repairers as well, as I have selected a panel shop when I caught a lady opening her door onto my car. Only thing i had to do was get at least 2 quotes, one of which was though an approved repairer.

Yes they have an age excess I said that, but Big_Damo is in Victoria where the standard excess is $550 and the age excess for a male under 25 is $500 and a female under 25 is $450. So if he you are under 25 male you pay a total excess of $1050. Even in NSW where the Excess if your a male and between the age of 17-20 is $1200. So I suggested to check his policy because he may have a huge excess because a sales person has said one thing when it is another thing.

All states have different excess.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dags41v
Shannons, comprehensive, agreed value on my XR8, headers, exhaust, CAI.
They will cover any mods as long as they know about them and their rates are very good and they are great to deal with.
I found them to be terrible to deal with.
The guy I spoke to suggested I try Suncorp because the F100 isn't a classic in his opinion...
J_Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlef5
LSV pretty funny as my last name is Lumley but no relation. Have the Eh agreed for $15000 with the v6, gearbox and all other mods covered, I'm 22 and pay $150 a year (no typo $150 a year) full comp very easy to deal with. Some limits as what you can insure though. they have 5 levels of insurance. Third party and 4 levels of full comp.
Bloody hell thats cheep thats $10 cheeper than I pay for the XP with shannons

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
AAMI Do not have a young driver Excess, they only have standard, age and a thing called Flexi excess. I think you have been given a flexi excess to make the premium cheaper, which you can take off but the premium will increase. A flexi excess should be optional, I would check your paper work.

With AAMI you do not have choice of repairer they always choose the cheapest quote. Even if you submit your quote 95 percent of the time it will go to an AAMI recommended repairer.

I know all this as I worked for AAMI up until last week in the claims section.
Yeh, Ive heard of this. AAMI only repairing to the bear minimum. I know RACV is alot better with this but alot more expensive. Anyone try one of the less popular ones like Just Cars Insurance? or something?

I did an online check and Just Cars can do 1800 (unlimited mods) compared to 2600 RACV, still looking around...
Old 14-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith
I am paying 900 a year on my car and im only 19, and al this is on a brand new XR50 ute
What company is this with? Under your own name or under parents as well to make it cheaper?
Old 14-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #24
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith
Finance owing on the ute, or do you own it outright?
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #25
sleek7

06 xr6t sedan, RACV Full Comp at Market Val - $1100 and dropping each year. All mods covered as long as legal. $750 excess (I bumped it up for lower Premium) and I think the standard $450 < 25 excess. I'm 24.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
2tone
Starter Motor

04 XR6 MKII standard as apart from tints
Agreed value $15k
$1200 excess
No drivers under 25

$680 Full comp with AI insurance.

Did lots of quotes online , they were the cheapest and Just car were the most expensive ($1450) and youi wouldn't even insure me! I'm 26 and had no claims!
2tone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
kendrick4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Putz
I found them to be terrible to deal with.
The guy I spoke to suggested I try Suncorp because the F100 isn't a classic in his opinion...

i HIGHLY doubt they claimed it wasnt a classic and referred you to Suncorp, you dont have to own a classic car to be insured with Shannons, they now insure any car.. you just need to qualify as a motoring enthusiast.. so they basically ask you a few pre-qualifying questions to get you into the system, then they can quote you on any car..
kendrick4life is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post