Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dual cab 4wd

I am in the position that I need to buy a dual cab 4wd for the salt mine.

The choices appear to be:
Toyota Hi-lux SR5
Nissan Navara STR
Mitsubishi Triton
Mazda BT-50
Ford Ranger XLT

It must be diesel and auto and will be kept for 3 years or 100,000km

Does anyone have any experience good or bad with any of these and can recommend for against any of them?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Any reason you haven't considered the Isuzu D-Max?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I have the diesel auto Navara, the 5 speed auto is flawless and highyway economy is 9.3L per 100klm. Not bad for 1995 kilo of brick. (13.7L towing a ton of trailer with tools around town).

Mine has just ticked over 50,000klm without missing a beat.

My favourite features are : The rear seat locks upright to use as a storage space and the Utili-track tie down system is second to none.
My only criticism is the seat/suspension are rather firm, but it's a trade of for car like cornering ability.

All the utes mentitioned are quite good nowadays, the only one i would not look at is the Hilux due to it being around 6k more expensive than the rest and having an 4 spped auto is primitive in a new model.

The Navara has won 4x4 mag's duelcab ute of the year every year since 2006.
This year it was spit with the Triton due to the Mitsu having the option of rear diff lock and curtain airbags.

The Trition took out the diesel and Navara won the petrol , as you know Nissan's V6 is the ball tearer of the class.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hilux TDI nothing better
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Any reason you haven't considered the Isuzu D-Max?
Other than never having heard of it, no

Being a chronic 4WD hater I don't take much notice of them other than to swear at the drivers, but I will look that one up tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I would vote the Triton GLXR. Plenty of power, plenty of room in the cabin but the tray is a little small/hard to get to with the hardtop and fairly comfortable. However we have the manual and find it great. We test drove an auto and in all honesty it was pathetic. I wouldnt recommend the Triton auto. It is a little clueless. It feels like it is a generation or 2 behind.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Isuzu D-Max AKA Holden Rodeo/Colorado
Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Tritons have a valve on the front diff to select 4wd. The position of it makes it all to easy to break it off, and costs about $400 to replace.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Isuzu D-Max AKA Holden Rodeo/Colorado
The D-max is different to the Colorado I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, a worthwhile consideration IMHO
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The D-Max and Colorado share the same basic body circa 2003, they are generation behind the rest as far as cabin room goes.

The D-Max is diesel only, the Colorado can be had with the commodore V6.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
yetchh
go bro

hilux sr5.. toyota set the benchmark..
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Scott

Hilux or Navara - the Hilux being the "less truck like" of the two.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

In my opinion, the Hilux while probably being class leading isnt worth the extra $$$.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetchh
hilux sr5.. toyota set the benchmark..
The second pro Toyota post with no explanation ?
The reason being....just cause ?

One would imagine the "Benchmark" would have the most torque being a diesel.
A benchmark would also win the mag tests and not have 600 kilo lower towing capacity than the others.
It may possibly have a auto with more gears than a 80's era car too......
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The second pro Toyota post with no explanation ?
The reason being....just cause ?

A benchmark would also win the mag tests and not have 600 kilo lower towing capacity than the others.
Ah this is interesting. This is exactly what several of the techs say, "gotta be toyota" but when I ask why they have no reason other "they ae the best".

Hence the enquiry here.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Company i work for run the Rangers on site We bash em around mine sites in the Pilbara 365 days a year and they've plenty of get up and go on the Hwy, non of the ones i have driven have given me any grief. Thou talking to a mate who is a Ford mechanic the other day he was saying they have had a few Rangers with transmission problems (Auto's) and CPS sensor failures, also expensive to service apparently

On a LNG plant at the moment and we've got Fleet Hilux's hear, they seem good too, thou haven't driven em much, think i prefer the Ranger.

The Old Hilux's had one thing going for em, Basic and built solid and Off-road they have good ground clearance, this is out the window with the new ones and i persionly think they look ugly

Last edited by Green X; 05-09-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
yetchh
go bro

Quote:

well.. toyota dont need to push their specs to the max to impress or winover potential buyers, eg towing, while the nissan navara may well be able to tow 2800 kg to the hiluxs 2200, 2200 is a conservative figure that the hilux will do all day, so go and tow 2800kg with your navara and see how long it lasts

i admit hiluxs are on the pricey side, but i you get what you pay for... plus iám severely biased :p
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
well.. toyota dont need to push their specs to the max to impress or winover potential buyers, eg towing, while the nissan navara may well be able to tow 2800 kg to the hiluxs 2200, 2200 is a conservative figure that the hilux will do all day, so go and tow 2800kg with your navara and see how long it lasts

i admit hiluxs are on the pricey side, but i you get what you pay for... plus iám severely biased :p

3000 kilo vs 2200 to be precise.

I have no plan to tow 3000 kilo but if i did and was involved in an accident, i would still be insured.

Healthy debate is infomative, bias alone adds nothing to the topic.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
bias alone adds nothing to the topic.
well most, but not all replys towards topics such as this come from biased opinions mine is but another one.... hilux have been proven throughout the world for the last 30 years to the point where they know what is needed in a good 4x4 utility, they dont need all the flashy numbers the other brands have to put forward to gain market share, they just do what they think is needed, and as far as i can see the hilux is as capable as any other 4x4 utility but with the added bonus of impeccable build quality and reliability to boot...

p.s. 2800-3000kg depending on what you read
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah Mazda BT50 +1
i bought mine brand new and had it for roughly 5-6months did almost 19,000kms and probably 10,000kms were off road, in the ocean, up a mountain, in a river, and in mud deep enough to drown in

it never saw a single day that it wasnt flogged

pros - cheap 4x4 with enough extras you wont need to re-mortgage your house
enough power to pull a jetski and still overtake a truck on the highway with more power to come
variable vein turbo is 97% of the time ready to use when you need it, without the whole turbo lag affect
quiet enough it doesnt sound like a truck
seats 5 comfortably, power windows all round, aircon is powerful enough to circulate entire cab without the need to generate a cyclone
dual cab ute will hold 1 yamaha R6 roadbike without needing a trailer
WILL NOT be affected much by driving or reversing into a tree at speed, or driving into a mud hole
4x4 mode engages without needed to get out of car, and while driving (sensible speeds though.... otherwise it flashes at you telling you to slow down and wont engage 4L until you stop)
front bar pushes back out flat after being pushed into the tyres
sidesteps WILL hold the weight of the car from rolling over
enough clearance to pretty much take it anywhere
after emptying water and sand from the airbox it still drives home..... and happened to 2 of them

cons
tyres fitted to MOST new 4x4's are absolute RUBBISH - i mean spit on your driveway and you will end up sideways ... bridgestone duellers..... you'll see what i mean if you dont believe me
not enough tie down points in the back tray and no tub liner standard (new model may be different)
tub will dent if you dont tie down 2x 60kg batteries
rear seat headrests do not come off or adjust- i found this was a blind spot while driving
auto + idiot style driving = XR8 has better fuel economy... that i can say!

suggestions
DO NOT get a hardlid..... most un-practical device for any ute
1. you cant store anything tall.. inc jerrycans
2. its an awkward size you need 2 people to take it off
3. when lifted most of the things you thought a ute would be useful to carry wont fit
4. cost does not outweigh the benefits

GET rubber floor mats - so many times ive just been able to hose them off
CHANGE the rubber on the tyres if buying new

The Ford Ranger is the exact same car but XLT has tub liner and AUX power standard.... at an extra cost compared to BT50 though.... again you'll see

ive got pics and high def movies to back me up, i actually should have made the ad for mazda.....

my opinion get the BT50, great ute, bloody tough, cheap
i wont bag out the other utes its up to you, and they all have their pros and cons

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #21
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

OK here is my two cents:

Hilux, Overpriced, and not as good as it's reputation would suggest, Has got both the lowest payload and and lowest towing capacity of the lot. Also the latest Hiluxes are not as indestructible as the older ones. Also the SR5, while being about 5 to 8 grand more than it's competitors, is probably the least well equipped. Add to that the fact that parts are very expensive if anything does break.

Triton Very well equipped, and good offroad, has a decent towing capacity and payload, but smaller load space. Pretty strong, but is butt ugly.

BT-50/ RANGER Basically the same vehicle, both are very good, and at the moment Ranger XLT is the only vehicle in the class with curtain airbags. They both have excellent engines, as well as the biggest payload and equal biggest towing capacity in class. The main differences between the two of these are the looks, and the actual dealer networks you may need to deal with. Ford have a wider dealer network, while Mazda usually tend to have better service departments.

D-Max/ Colorado Again, the two of these are both pretty much the same vehicle, with mainly only styling differences. They are probably the best off road, and on dirt tracks, but are also the most truck like to drive, and the oldest amongst the group.

Navara Probably the best looking of the bunch, and also the most car like to drive. The Navara is not as strong off road as it's competitors but has got the equal biggest towing capacity, as well as the second biggest payload. The Navara probably has the best drivetrain as far as on-road performance goes.

My pick, would probably be the Ranger, not because I am a Ford Fan, but because I honestly think it is the best all rounder of the bunch.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Hilux, Overpriced, and not as good as it's reputation would suggest, Has got both the lowest payload and and lowest towing capacity of the lot. Also the latest Hiluxes are not as indestructible as the older ones. Also the SR5, while being about 5 to 8 grand more than it's competitors, is probably the least well equipped. Add to that the fact that parts are very expensive if anything does break.
Have to agree, reliabilty has gone down hill since manufacture moved to thailand..I have owned quite a few, and wouldnt get another after the last experience.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

BT-50 or Ranger for me. From my limited driving experience of both compared to a hilux and rodeo. Found the BT-50 and Ranger the easiest and most comfortable to drive, didn't tow or use them for ute purposes either time, so can't compare in that regard, but in general driving, found the BT-50 and ranger really nice.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #24
Kryton

What will its duties be at the salt mine or is it just going to be your transport to get there?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
BLDNUT01

i couldn,t go past the triton for the warranty http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...-overview.aspx
and with new model coming soon might be able to get some run out prices too
Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:

p.s. 2800-3000kg depending on what you read

I prefer the official sites:

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/speci...44_335,00.html

Quote:
Gross trailer weight braked (kg) 2250

http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/mo...ation/dual-cab

Quote:
3,000kg braked towing capacity

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 05-09-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #27
AUIIISR

I deal with tradies day in day out at work and ive seen the lot, my pick would be the Navara, took one for a drive today in auto with a 6x9 trailer full of sand n glue n was amazed! and the BT50 I would rate just behind, I dont rate most toyota's mainly because you load a few boxes in them n you'd swear you have just put a pallet of bricks on the back, some of the guys i deal with have also been unhappy with their new Hilux's under the 50% rebate scheme, jumping in 2 quickly and just buying whatever instead of researching. my 2 cents
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #28
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a 08 Triton auto every day and I absolutely hate the thing.
Things I hate about it:

The ride is horrible
The seats are thin and hard
The steering ratio is all wrong
The automatic box is a heap of crap. After 50,000kms it's clunking into OD and changes at all the wrong times.
The guages are ugly
The whole exterior is ugly ( Dont know what they were thinking with the rear wheel arches)

Things I like:
The engine is torquey and has plenty of go
Pretty good on fuel
Cheap to buy
It has been very reliable. It cops a floggin from my workmates but is still running well. Gets serviced every 15,000kms and weve never had an issue.

I had a 94 Hilux diesel and it was as tough as nails. However im not sure what the new ones are built like.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #29
yetchh
go bro

lets not split hairs bro.. to be honest, if i was to recommend a 4x4 ute it would be a nissan or a toyota just i'm a toyota fan, yes they might be overpriced but hey get a 5000km second hand or demo model and you still have the warranty..
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

I'd recommend the best buy regardless of brand, i went from a Falcon, to a Rodeo, then had a deposit on a Hilux until i got wind of the new Navara and cancelled it.

Come time to buy again i shall research the market and buy what i decide is the pick of the current crop.

With work horses I'm more concerned about value for money than what badge is on the grill.

Disclaimer* The above statement does not apply to Chinese models....yet.