Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you support a ban on performance vehicles?
Yes 1 3.57%
No 27 96.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
lizardmech

Default Should all performance cars should be banned?

Since many people here believe that you should create a law to target a minority group among road users as long as:
-The new law doesn't directly hurt anyone
- It may prevent some deaths

If the following things are assumed to be facts:
- Performance cars are more difficult to drive
- There is a % of irresponsible people in all age groups
- There is a % of unskilled drivers in all age groups
- you may get an exemption if you must tow heavy items
- no exemptions for hobbyists or people who participate in track days or legal drags
- A performance car is deffined as 125kw/1000kg or a v8 or turbo over 100kw/1000kg

Do you think high powered cars should be outlawed based on this?
Post if you agree or disagree and if you drive a car that could be considered a performance car.

Personaly I don't agree with this because I don't think people should give away freedoms for a tiny increase in safety, I drive a car that is probably considered a performance car.

Last edited by lizardmech; 24-08-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Maybe they should just ban them for young drivers - I mean these percentagees are much higher in the under 25 age group - just ask NRMA. :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Maybe they should just ban them for young drivers - I mean these percentagees are much higher in the under 25 age group - just ask NRMA. :
That sure sounds like a plan, wonder if someone has already though of it?
Old 24-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
That sure sounds like a plan, wonder if someone has already though of it?
[/sarcasm off]
i'm not sure mate...maybe lizardmech can tell us? :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

definatley not.
im a strong believer to the fact that it is not the car but the driver.
these people would crash an XR8 or an echo

driver training should be manditory for all
Old 24-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
lizardmech

No ones interested in answering?

Old 24-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No ones interested in answering?
i will if you add an option saying:

"yes, for immature dipsh!ts on P plates"

Old 24-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

These do-gooders need to realise that accidents will happen and people will die. Its a fact of life, they need to get over it.

I propose we go the other way and lift all speed limits and reward drivers for good burnouts etc...
Old 24-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
i will if you add an option saying:

"yes, for immature dipsh!ts on P plates"
This is a separate issue.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
MRJUCY
Fordless

It's impossible to define what a performance car is & it's also wrong that a car is harder to drive because it has high levels of performance in fact in many ways they're often easier as they have a higher threshold for driver error.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
It's impossible to define what a performance car is & it's also wrong that a car is harder to drive because it has high levels of performance in fact in many ways they're often easier as they have a higher threshold for driver error.
Sorry, I forgot to add what defines a performance car ill ad it to the original post.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
These do-gooders need to realise that accidents will happen and people will die. Its a fact of life, they need to get over it.
How do you get over dieing? I dont think they ever found a cure!! :
Old 24-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
My mates XR6T is 30x easier to drive and 32.766x safer than a friends 1997 Excel

Old 24-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add what defines a performance car ill ad it to the original post.

Good idea, I had already glossed over most of it when I saw the avatar and theme. Thanks it wont waste any of my time... in fact grammer checking the title I may have been better glossing over the whole thread.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #15
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
My mates XR6T is 30x easier to drive and 32.766x safer than a friends 1997 Excel
Perhaps, but for the purpose of this thread lets just assume they are more dangerous.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #16
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

Haha, what a stuiped poll, seriously...
(i voted no)
Old 24-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #17
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
How do you get over dieing? I dont think they ever found a cure!! :
You don't. You get over the fact that people have accidents and get injured or die. Its part of life. No mater what rules are forced on to people, it will continue to happen.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about banning people from driving performance cars with a bad driving history? That way the people who are "hoons" and in their 30s will be treated no differently to an 18yr old.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I dont see the point of the poll, not because I do own a performance car, but becuase if one believes that they have control of their vehicle in any circumstance and is comfortable in that knowledge, regardless of vehicle type, then they are not only a bigger fool than I can say, but they are danger to all.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Since many people here believe that you should create a law to target a minority group among road users as long as:
-The new law doesn't directly hurt anyone
- It may prevent some deaths

- you may get an exemption if you must tow heavy items
- no exemptions for hobbyists or people who participate in track days or legal drags

Do you think high powered cars should be outlawed based on this?
Post if you agree or disagree and if you drive a car that could be considered a performance car.

Personaly I don't agree with this because I don't think people should give away freedoms for a tiny increase in safety, I drive a car that is probably considered a performance car.

Still having a tantrum are we mate? Didnt get enough chest beating in the other thread? Boo bloody Hoo, a P plater wouldnt be able to drive a Performance Car for a year or two. TRAGEDY. But I got a good idea for you. Because you cant think up an argument, produce facts or a logical train of thought, why not just deflect the argument into something else totally misleading and unrealistic so you can sit back and gloat over what a big man you have become.

Driving a Car is not a right nor a freedom. Its granted by the government after you satisfy their testing regime. And if they decide someone who has only just achieved their P's cannot drive a performance car, the said P Plater, wont die, combust, implode or detonate. They would just have to be patient. Now theres a Bloody great first lesson for a P Plater wouldnt you think?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 24-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #21
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
How about banning people from driving performance cars with a bad driving history? That way the people who are "hoons" and in their 30s will be treated no differently to an 18yr old.
Great idea Mitchay, one of your best! :

Anyone killing themselves in a car they could not handle, will automatically have their license revised, to prohibit them from driving fast cars. :

Thats like only providing the intruction guide for a circualar saw at the casulty ward!
Old 24-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You dont have to die to have a bad driving history. Speeding, burnouts all counts as bad driving history.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #23
EFIwindsor
Haltech 302w XW

If they ban performance cars from young people/P platers when they get off their P's they'll have more money and be able to buy/build better cars. So the at risk bracket will move from 17-25 to 20-25

Althought i wonder how many of these Tools that drive like d"heads actually build there cars or whether they pay for them to be built...that is if the cars have any modifications.Example the 4 teenagers that died over the weekend were in a Stock 1991 Falcon which would not be considered a performance car.

I think if you build A car you'll appreciate it more and look after it better.

That's my opinion (for what it's work) my Dad and I have done 98% the work on my XW
Fuel/intake -XR6T injectors, 255 LPH intank pump, 4" intake, HaltechE11v2 Exhaust-custom Tri-Y headers, Twin 2.5" HiFlo Cats, duel 2.5" exh Driveline-close ratio 4spd, 9" LSD, 300mm AU XR8 fr, XC rear, ZH Fairlane Mas/Cyl & Booster

Project car: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21641
Old 24-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mwhahahha this thread is l-o-l funny.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #25
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Still having a tantrum are we mate? Didnt get enough chest beating in the other thread? Boo bloody Hoo, a P plater wouldnt be able to drive a Performance Car for a year or two. TRAGEDY. But I got a good idea for you. Because you cant think up an argument, produce facts or a logical train of thought, why not just deflect the argument into something else totally misleading and unrealistic so you can sit back and gloat over what a big man you have become.

Driving a Car is not a right nor a freedom. Its granted by the government after you satisfy their testing regime. And if they decide someone who has only just achieved their P's cannot drive a performance car, the said P Plater, wont die, combust, implode or detonate. They would just have to be patient. Now theres a Bloody great first lesson for a P Plater wouldnt you think?
What does this have to do with this thread? I was curious to see peoples opinions on making laws that may increase safety but reduce their freedom to do something they specifically enjoy.

Old 24-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #26
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
You dont have to die to have a bad driving history. Speeding, burnouts all counts as bad driving history.
And you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out its a bad idea to give chimps access to machine guns, and then try and sort out which of them are firing live rounds.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
niko
likes falcon's

which clown said yes? :P
Old 24-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #28
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I voted yes, because it was lonely sitting on zero

Old 24-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thread moved btw., the Bar is for Non Car Related Chit Chat, the Pub is for Car Chit Chat, thank god you didnt start it in the performance forums, we would all have smacked into the local lamp post by now!
Old 24-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #30
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Perhaps, but for the purpose of this thread lets just assume they are more dangerous.
you can't just overlook the fact that new performance cars have much better safety features than a lot of the 4cyl hatchbacks gettin around.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
Closed Thread