Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #1
elfdave

Talking ford vs magna drag...

Hi dudes

In 2 weeks I will be partaking in a drag race with a mate who has just bought a 97 magna sports 3.0 V6. I have a 97 EL falcon, 4L, with no mods. He seems fairly sure that he will win hands down (0-100km/h), but I just don't see the EL losing to a ****y magna. Is he right and if so, what is the best way (under 200 bucks) I can improve the performance of my beast?

According to redbook, magna 0-100 is 11 seconds, ford is 9.2 seconds
http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesea...X&key=FORD97BC
Does anyone know where these figures come from and their accuracy?

I'll publish the results after the showdown

Old 17-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #2
rodderz

Hopefully on a track no doubt?

Mate, you should whip an older magna in reverse!
Old 17-08-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
elfdave

Default Yep

It'll be on a racetrack, all legal of course.

Old 17-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #4
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ull buff him man dw bout it, but for 200 buks or so(260ish), get a 2.5 inch cat back to be sure, it will also sound awsome wen hes behind u ;) it also ups the air fuel mixture on the ecu up a bit if im not mistaken ? which means a lil more air/fuel which means ull chomp this guy no sweat....

also make sure its on a race track
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 17-08-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

I'd get a WADE cam exhanged for $120 odd. Might be held back by the exhaust, but still.. I'd just be weary about losing a bit of take off.

20V Turbo

Old 17-08-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, my 94 Laser 1.8 automatic beats Falcons and Commodores, even beat a VZ V6 Executive (only just) just saying it doesnt take much to beat them, and yes, i only "try" when i know the other person is gonna try to drag me off, so please dont suggest (but they dont try) having owned and driven EAs, EB2, EF, AU, Statesman VS V8, VS Grange, WK Caprice, driven the Magna 3.5, BA 4 litre, 5.4 220, XR8 and GT and i tell ya, it keeps up with 6s and beats some - but ya tell people and they dont believe ya until they have been in ya car. If you want something fast, definately get a V8 minimum
Old 17-08-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Mate, my 94 Laser 1.8 automatic beats Falcons and Commodores, even beat a VZ V6 Executive (only just) just saying it doesnt take much to beat them, and yes, i only "try" when i know the other person is gonna try to drag me off, so please dont suggest (but they dont try) having owned and driven EAs, EB2, EF, AU, Statesman VS V8, VS Grange, WK Caprice, driven the Magna 3.5, BA 4 litre, 5.4 220, XR8 and GT and i tell ya, it keeps up with 6s and beats some - but ya tell people and they dont believe ya until they have been in ya car. If you want something fast, definately get a V8 minimum
Surely there is no way other than with a huge turbo strapped on.
Old 17-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nopes its stock, mind you i did look at the specs on them, 96kw - back then that was awesome for a 1.8, thats what the CURRENT model 2.0 litre Focus has, but in all seriousness, while i dont doubt that these other cars would be nicer to have than mine, i would be really disappointed paying all that money expecting more go than a 94 Laser 1.8 and being kept up with from 0-100 The Commdore was trying to also drag an older Skyline in the other lane, the Skyline won - having said that, i dont think any of these are "fast" cars, the skyline might have been faster, but it seems like what people think is fast these days, really isnt... A long time ago we had a 2 liter JE Camira automatic, another car which had great acceleration compared to 6s (esp at that time) 0-100 in under 10 seconds - i understand if people read this and dont believe me, think i am exagerating or whatever, cos most people talk up the things they own, and i probably wouldnt believe it either, but i feel bad for the others who spend a lot of money on what they think is fast and dont beat me or marginally beat me..... fast is where you get to 100 when other cars are at 60
Old 17-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
nopes its stock, mind you i did look at the specs on them, 96kw - back then that was awesome for a 1.8, thats what the CURRENT model 2.0 litre Focus has, but in all seriousness, while i dont doubt that these other cars would be nicer to have than mine, i would be really disappointed paying all that money expecting more go than a 94 Laser 1.8 and being kept up with from 0-100 The Commdore was trying to also drag an older Skyline in the other lane, the Skyline won - having said that, i dont think any of these are "fast" cars, the skyline might have been faster, but it seems like what people think is fast these days, really isnt... A long time ago we had a 2 liter JE Camira automatic, another car which had great acceleration compared to 6s (esp at that time) 0-100 in under 10 seconds - i understand if people read this and dont believe me, think i am exagerating or whatever, cos most people talk up the things they own, and i probably wouldnt believe it either, but i feel bad for the others who spend a lot of money on what they think is fast and dont beat me or marginally beat me..... fast is where you get to 100 when other cars are at 60
Chevypower. Welcome to the Forums. Please keep your posting on here within the realms of reality, and you will be welcomed by more members. I sincerely believe you that your fantastic 1.8 automatic Laser (1994) Woops Falcons and Magnas! : The only way would be if they were towing you and slowed down heavily just before the end of the quarter and let you fly by. Posts like your above post will serve no purpose but to see you riddaculed by the masses, and end with you taking a spell in cool off mode, or worse yet, you will meet LaMinge!! : And that seems to be a trap for all the young ones!!! :voldar02:

Any way, lift your game a little and enjoy your stay at FFA.
Old 17-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

If he had a Magna Sport VR-X 3.5 V6, you would lose. But the EL should give the 3.0 a sound beating.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 17-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
ull buff him man dw bout it, but for 200 buks or so(260ish), get a 2.5 inch cat back to be sure, it will also sound awsome wen hes behind u ;) it also ups the air fuel mixture on the ecu up a bit if im not mistaken ? which means a lil more air/fuel which means ull chomp this guy no sweat....

also make sure its on a race track
Can someone translate that into english for me ?? :ticking:

Don't discount the magnas. Make sure you pay attention to your launch or you might get a wee bit of a surprise.

As for an auto 1.8 laser beating anything except itself ... I highly doubt it.
Old 17-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Storm
Whoopie!

yeah i agree, if he had a 3.5 litre Sports he would beat you, but since he's only got a 3.0 it's if'y
Old 17-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
nat_daly
Nat D

well what type of kw does a magna have?..
and about the ford laser beating a 4.0 litre. :hihi: . im sorry u cant just beat cubes with a sstock laser
u should be pretty easily be able to beat him what u gotta worry about if he's done any secret mods to it..;)
Old 17-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
XRated
Shoot.

Bit off topic, but my mate's 2001 stock Corolla manual beats my ED happily from a standing start. It all comes down to the auto slush box and crummy 3.08 diff.

20V Turbo

Old 17-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

3 litre magna is 140KW & 255NM and 1470KG with good gearing
4 litre Falcon is 157KW & 357NM and 1520KG with bad gearing

The 3 litre magna sports will be a bit slower but not a lot. It will do 0-100 in around 9.6-9.8 NOT 11. About 2 years ago my brother had an EL Gli and had a few little drags with my dad in his 98 3.0 sports. The Falson was better off the line, but about the same at high speed ie: 80-120 etc. If your mate had a TJ Sports with the 3.5 and 5 speed auto it would be bye bye Falcon. I had one - thats how I know.

Cheers
Matt
Old 17-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3.5L Sports/VRX is 163kw/317NM, runs flat a 7 0-100 in manual guise, about 7.7-8 in 5 speed auto.
Old 17-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #17
ProjectXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
3.5L Sports/VRX is 163kw/317NM, runs flat a 7 0-100 in manual guise, about 7.7-8 in 5 speed auto.
Driven a manual VRX and i'd say it does that quite eaisily!
Old 17-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #18
Dmax
74 XB Coupe

I had an EA with a nicely rebuilt motor that would eat any stock E series Falcon but would get slaughtered by my wifes stock 2001 3.6 Magna and was on par (depending on the weather) with my brothers 96 3.0 Magna. Very underated are the Magnas, get one with a bit of work done to it and look out.

Last edited by Dmax; 17-08-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 17-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Chevypower. Welcome to the Forums. Please keep your posting on here within the realms of reality, and you will be welcomed by more members. I sincerely believe you that your fantastic 1.8 automatic Laser (1994) Woops Falcons and Magnas! : The only way would be if they were towing you and slowed down heavily just before the end of the quarter and let you fly by. Posts like your above post will serve no purpose but to see you riddaculed by the masses, and end with you taking a spell in cool off mode, or worse yet, you will meet LaMinge!! : And that seems to be a trap for all the young ones!!! :voldar02:

Any way, lift your game a little and enjoy your stay at FFA.
Ya see I knew i was gonna get that sort of response, give us an email and I welcome a demo I kid you not, but it might be better believing it not to be true, as i have said, had an EF in the family (when it was new), and an AU i NEVER said it woops them, i said it keeps up, - just think of the power to weight ratio 96kw per tonne for the Laser = just under 150kw per 1.5 tonne VZs and BAs are more like 1.7 tonnes
Theres not really a huge power to weight advantage on 6 cyl Falcons and Commodores compared to the Laser is there? Also dragged off two Falcon 6s with the WK Caprice 5.7 while we were pulling the horse float... I spose ya gonna tell me I didnt hear their engines rev hard as they were trying too. I'm only reporting my experiences, take it or leave it. If you want a fast Ford, get an XR8!
Here, I have got two car reviews which show that performance is only slightly to the Commodores advantage, and fuel consumption is only slightly better in the Laser too
http://www.mynrma.com.au/laser-kj-li..._fordlaskj.asp
http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_2391/article.html

Now whether he had a slightly slower to react right foot and I had a super quick one to react to the green light, who knows who cares, a fast car should be able to leave my Laser back in the smoke! I think a BA XT would perform better, but anything up to AU stock 6, and a BA with the dedicated LPG option would be about the same

Last edited by chevypower; 17-08-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 17-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ya see I knew i was gonna get that sort of response, give us an email and I welcome a demo I kid you not, but it might be better believing it not to be true, as i have said, had an EF in the family (when it was new), and an AU i NEVER said it woops them, i said it keeps up, and in the case of the VZ i was marginally in front - having said all that, I was driving the Grange one time, and a Lancer or something kept up with me off the line (till he had to change gear) - thats supposed to be a worked V8 (185kw), stock 6s really arent that fast- ridicule me all you like, I have had enough driving experience in all these cars to know - just think of the power to weight ratio 96kw per tonne for the Laser = just under 150kw per 1.5 tonne VZs and BAs are more like 1.7 tonnes
Theres not really a huge power to weight advantage on 6 cyl Falcons and Commodores compared to the Laser is there? Also dragged off two Falcon 6s with the WK Caprice 5.7 while we were pulling the horse float... I spose ya gonna tell me I didnt hear their engines rev hard as they were trying too. I'm only reporting my experiences, take it or leave it. If you want a fast Ford, get an XR8!
Talk is cheap, take it to the 1/4 mile, run it and then show the ET. That stops all arguments cause when the flag drops...the bull stops.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 17-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can't be bothered, best i can think of is dragging the AU Fairmont Ghia next to the Laser and video-taping it, even then that takes effort, anyway I dont really care, I am just surprised that the cars people go on about as being big and powerful arent really much quicker than a Laser can't you see that 157kw per 1600kg which = 98kw per tonne is not that great -heck you're allowed 25kw more tonne on the stupid P plate power restrictions, which then rules out anything with decent performance
Elfdave, some things you can do to help you are, remove the airfilter for the drag, keep the rpm up just before the light goes green (hold brake and acclerator till rpm is just over 1000), try running it on Optimax, if you want to spend money, change the diff ratio, powerchip, exhaust -but i wouldnt do anything other than those, spending more money you'd be better off updating your car

Last edited by chevypower; 17-08-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 17-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
can't be bothered, best i can think of is dragging the AU Fairmont Ghia next to the Laser and video-taping it, even then that takes effort, anyway I dont really care, I am just surprised that the cars people go on about as being big and powerful arent really much quicker than a Laser can't you see that 157kw per 1600kg which = 98kw per tonne is not that great -heck you're allowed 25kw more tonne on the stupid P plate power restrictions, which then rules out anything with decent performance
Your assuming that most of the cars on here are stock... which is anything but true. Considering a lot of the I6 Falcons on here match or beat a large amount of stock V8's... and some not so stock, I would say that the 1.8 Laser is not too much of a threat to them. Power to weight is relevant.. so is torque to weight and thats where the 4cyl suffers badly.

I have no issues with lasers, stock or not, they simply don't even rate on the "threat" radar.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 17-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I appreciate that Casper and don't doubt it, I wasnt comparing it to the cars on here, or trying to come across as some smart *** saying my little laser is better than yours kinda thing, and the cars I were talking about dragging against are obviously stock - same with the Laser
Anyways thanks for the welcome guys, I used to use the other Ford Forums a bit, wondered where everyone disappeared to once "the pub" and "the bar' were removed
Old 17-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #24
stiddy
Banned

Even my friends TX3 4WD turbo Laser, gives me a run till almost 100km/h but after that its game over *as he watches me disappear into the distance* :P
Old 17-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enough about Lasers, more about Magnas :P
Old 17-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #26
stiddy
Banned

EL will come out on top.. i really dont think the 3.0L magnas are anything special i have a mate that owns one.. and i also have a mate with a stock eb (auto) that cleans him up everytime, even without stalling it up off the line..
Old 17-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #27
Dmax
74 XB Coupe

My Brother has a 96 3.0 Magna stock with 200,000kms on the clock. I drive it regularly and it throws me back in the seat. They are lighter and more responsive than the E series Fords and are definately a threat to them if sitting next to one at a set of lights. I'm sure that over a long stretch the falcons would come into their own but I'm not 100% confident wether this would happen over a quarter mile.
Old 17-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #28
MRJUCY
Fordless

The Magna being a front driver doesn't get it's power down off the line but is surprisingly punchy down low but once the Falcon comes on song it should walk it. Your best bet is just to make sure the car is in good condition ie give it a service if need be.
There is variance car to car tho especially as they are getting on abit.
Old 17-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #29
t2te50
Banned

3.0 sports with tiptronic are a bucket of driven a 3.5 manual go very well considering capacity. You will kill him the 3.0 litres lack low down torque and with the flaring auto forget it. They slur shifts to make it unoticeable makes it alot slower to.
I worked with a mitsubishi specialist and he told me the lancer is one of the only ones he would buy because their so basic. Mitsubishi has problems mixing technology with reliability.
Old 17-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #30
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old man has one, if its a manual, he will get you, off the line they have to go easy or the front will start spinning but once he goes into second he will move, the run a mid to low 15
Closed Thread