Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What products/services would you like to see in an auto shop?
Fitting bodykits, bonnets, spoilers etc. 36 63.16%
Vehicle detailing 38 66.67%
Window Tinting 38 66.67%
Accessories and enhancements i.e. MOMO, Leather etc etc 38 66.67%
Wheels/rims 43 75.44%
Import and hard to get parts i.e. FRPP etc. 36 63.16%
Exhaust Systems and fitment 39 68.42%
ECU Edits/Chips 40 70.18%
Brand Name Parts i.e John Bowe Performance Upgrades, SVO, Herrod etc 40 70.18%
Engine Internals and fitting etc. 41 71.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default B2tf's one stop rod shop.......

Well furthering on from the other thread, im floating the idea a bit more now.

So, assuming the store was based in Southern NSW (most likely Wagga Wagga), what would you like to see available/done there, and how would be the best ways to manage doing it etc?

I can only post one poll as far as i can see, so here's what i was thinking. The options selected above (i.e. what products/services to do) would be done/fitted on site, and also available via mail order for things like wheels etc.

Obviously staff would be trained in doing it all, i wouldnt let an apprentice mechanic loose on someone's car to do a chip etc. Thats the whole reason im even considering it, sick of dodgy workmanship or not being able to find anybody around here to do upgrades.

Keep in mind this is all "what if" at this stage.

Last edited by b2tf; 21-07-2005 at 08:19 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

If you can fix my clutch you have a first customer! haha kidding, I can, I'm just lazy.

The way I see it, start off small. Find out which is the most wanted market. You have two areas; clean stuff and dirty stuff. Interior work, tinting, detailing, ECU work is generally pretty clean compared to working on brakes, engines, etc, etc. Both require totally different set ups and different people. Work with one or the other until you're ready to do both.

Other than that, I know nothing. Stuffed if I know anything about running a business.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well you've set yourself a big goal there,personally I would start offsmall and bring in the other gear as demand required.
Remember your reputation depends on quality and price and having the best staff you can afford to pay to do the work.

Go for it but don't forget don't run before you learn how to walk.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah, this is all majorly long term stuff. Im looking many years into the future here.

I'm waiting for a guy I know who has a pretty successful business of this type (doesnt do as much as is on that list though) to return from holidays, then i'm gonna go have a chat with him about it all, and get some ideas.

But yeah, this is all majorly long term.
Old 21-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my fluffy dice need a fluffing, I can come too you?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Yeah, tell you what, you can even come to me now and ill do that. Will be good experience for me.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No sweat. I'll have them for AFD. But as your only in training, I can only pay recognised and accredited dice fluffer upper er's.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
No sweat. I'll have them for AFD. But as your only in training, I can only pay recognised and accredited dice fluffer upper er's.
Well funny you mention that. The training Im doing for my job now, is actually on working with vehicle interior aesthetics. I picked it out from all the courses i could do, not sure how it relates to my current job but I am doing it. So by AFD I'll have Cert IV. in Advanced Dice Fluffery.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't please everyone all of the time. Pick a niche. In your shoes I'd be looking for a specific unique product and expanding from there. Say like SS inductions have done. Something that differentiates you from the rest, like carbon fibre inlets for the E, A and B series cars. How about a flash MP3 player that easily integrates and suits the dash of all the BA's that can't upgrade the flat factory radio's? Something no-one else is doing. The trick is finding the need more than the product to fix it. The tiawanese and chinese have huge industry in producing specific products for our markets. Look at all those trick mobile phone accessories. Where do you think they are designed and produced?

Find the need....then find a way to fill it.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Well funny you mention that. The training Im doing for my job now, is actually on working with vehicle interior aesthetics. I picked it out from all the courses i could do, not sure how it relates to my current job but I am doing it. So by AFD I'll have Cert IV. in Advanced Dice Fluffery.
Ok, but you break any of my dot's, I'll have to take my business else where. :

Seriously, I think its a great idea. But I see massive setup costs. Having said that, nothing wrong with starting with detailing business and building your business from there. Injekt'd in Canberra are a car detailer, but they also do wheels and rims. I guess it takes some time, and plenty of money. Running your own business was never mean't to be easy. Building wealth, gotta start poor.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Ok, but you break any of my dot's, I'll have to take my business else where. :

Seriously, I think its a great idea. But I see massive setup costs. Having said that, nothing wrong with starting with detailing business and building your business from there. Injekt'd in Canberra are a car detailer, but they also do wheels and rims. I guess it takes some time, and plenty of money. Running your own business was never mean't to be easy. Building wealth, gotta start poor.
Yeah, thats just it. The setup costs and the initial workload would be enormous.

But who knows, maybe one day I'll say "$%#@ it, I'm gonna do it!".
Old 21-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Positive attitude, determination and a lot of hardwork. You can achieve anything. Within reason of course.
Old 21-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
xrgran

Quote:
yer an iriot :baby bott I'v told you not to put things like that on your trike. You will get distracted and run into something....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Well furthering on from the other thread, im floating the idea a bit more now.

So, assuming the store was based in Southern NSW (most likely Wagga Wagga), what would you like to see available/done there, and how would be the best ways to manage doing it etc?

I can only post one poll as far as i can see, so here's what i was thinking. The options selected above (i.e. what products/services to do) would be done/fitted on site, and also available via mail order for things like wheels etc.

Obviously staff would be trained in doing it all, i wouldnt let an apprentice mechanic loose on someone's car to do a chip etc. Thats the whole reason im even considering it, sick of dodgy workmanship or not being able to find anybody around here to do upgrades.

Keep in mind this is all "what if" at this stage.

I can see where you are coming from, but the only thing you will realy have to look at is price. I ran my own workshop doing pretty much what you want to do for over 15 years and the main thing that killed me was the fact that the local dealers would always under cut you. I know you think that what you want to do is not what the dealers would do but you would be suprised. I think it is great that you want to work for your self but if you think you can do it on your own think again, just before i closed shop my average day was at least 16 hours, and that was with three full time trades men. If you were to ask me if i would do it again well no not realy. The other killer is you work- cove BAS holidays, sick days and all of this adds up and when you are paying the bills and you name is on the lease well you get the idea.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Your biggest concern is CAPITAL... Setting up a business beit small even costs alot of money.. Insurance, premises lease, allocation of wages, PAYG tax requirements, legal fees etc are all upfront costs, that is before you even have an item on the shelf for stock.

To list your ideas in a fiscal cost set-up format for equipment alone will blow your mind. Admittantly not everything I list is required if you outsource but if you want to release inhouse quality products you'll need decent equipment and in some case are required to by law

Fitting bodykits, bonnets, spoilers etc. :- Spray booth $25k
Vehicle detailing :- Wash bay with grease trap $10k
Window Tinting
Accessories and enhancements i.e. MOMO, Leather etc etc
Wheels/rims :- Tyre balancer 8k + Tyre fitting machine $10k
Import and hard to get parts i.e. FRPP etc.
Exhaust Systems and fitment :- Mandrel bending equipment and MIG welder $30k
ECU Edits/Chips :- Dyno $150k+ for a Dyno Dynamics bit of kit
Brand Name Parts i.e John Bowe Performance Upgrades, SVO, Herrod etc
Engine Internals and fitting etc.

As you can see to be upto spec with the basic equipment alone will cost you mucho money to get off the ground.. It then takes alot of work and profit to re-coupe your initial costs. If you want an all-in-one shop my suggestion would be to buy out existing businesses and monopolise the local market.

I agree with cogdoc and stand by my suggestion in the other thread. Find a few niche products and sell them on-line, sure if the locals want to come to your 'shop front' fine but it is a good way to feel the water without outlaying a bucket of money.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #16
big_pete
Sublime

another disadvantage you may face is being in wagga.
theres hardly the market base of a major city like sydney or melbourne so it could be hard to get established.
however i think once you did get established it would be quite a successfull business as there is very few shops like it in the Wagga area - so it would attract people from the entire Riverina area once the word is out

P.S. id like to see another business like this in wagga ;)
Old 22-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #17
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say stick to an internet based mail order type business.

Super low overheads, easy to start up, easy to keep running.

I see a massive cost base in employing so many qualified tradespersons. Those guys arent cheap. You have to pay them whether the work is coming in or not.

First stop is a business plan/model.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #18
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTF Anything is possible if you believe and there is some good advice been handed your way so far, and look forward to further updates on your venture and wish you every success moving forward should you decide to contunue.

My 2c worth after studying success for many years.

1. As a person thinks so are they
2. You have the power to choose what you think

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Pete, thanks for your PMs last night, sorry i went offline but it was past 12 and i was tired and depressed lol. Needed sleep.

Going to speak to some people about this idea in the coming week. Hopefully after that I should have some direction.

It's certainly getting very tempting.
Old 24-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #20
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgran
yer an iriot :baby bott I'v told you not to put things like that on your trike. You will get distracted and run into something....
The trike as a flat. Hoping B2TF has replace it with some fats. :
Old 24-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #21
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Biggest suggestion I have is to remember just how important good customer service is if you start this up.

Reply to emails without making them wait for days, if you can't help someone do your best to point them in the right direction, don't forget the small stuff that can make the difference between someone being merely satisfied and telling all their friends what a great company you run and that they should take their business to you.

Good customer service is hard to find these days, so when people do come across it, they tend to remember it and tell others. You can't buy that sort of advertising!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #22
ef5l

if you are serious about this do you have a good enough mechanical abilty, experiance, its all well and good having qualified people working for you but if you dont really have a great understanding, it would be hard to get people to trust you with there cars, as you said your sick of dodgy workmanship how are you going to be any better if you dont no what your doing and you have to beleive what the guys that work for you are telling you.

all being said if you were a qualified mechanic and been in the performance seen for over 5 years you would make good coin.
ef5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Maddestman, believe me. Customer service is one thing at the VERY top of my list. The amount of times Ive been stuffed around, lied to or treated like an idiot is astounding - I quite my job on Friday because I felt the bosses aim was to get money at the expense of customer service and good business sense. Tried to explain my point of view to her but alas she has a $100K boat in her sights and nobody will stop her from getting it.

ef5l, im not a mechanic, far from it. I know a reasonable amount about cars (granted that knowledge is largely limited to fords), and that would be another challenge for me - learning about vehicles as much as possible. But I enjoy doing that, so its not so much a challenge, more a goal. My aim is simple - to one day have a business where you can drive in your standard car, whatever it may be - and drive out with a smile on your face, and a newfound love for your car and driving it.

Im doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of people, and this is all many, many moths away, but its now very much a goal of mine. Hopefully one day I'll be able to reach it.
Old 24-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #24
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Maddestman, believe me. Customer service is one thing at the VERY top of my list. The amount of times Ive been stuffed around, lied to or treated like an idiot is astounding - I quite my job on Friday because I felt the bosses aim was to get money at the expense of customer service and good business sense. Tried to explain my point of view to her but alas she has a $100K boat in her sights and nobody will stop her from getting it.
In that case, you have my support 100%, and if you ever need an employee who shares your views on customer service and who is prepared to go the extra mile for the customer, let me know - I'm sick of being unemployed and would love to get the chance to show what a valuable employee I can be to an employer who actually sees me as more then another cog in a money making machine!

Good luck with it mate, and if there is any way I can help, let me know!
Old 24-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #25
The MaDDeSTMaN

Forgot to add, that was one of the reasons I decided I no longer wanted to work for Shell/Coles Express - they were only interested in the bottom line and had no idea about customer service or how to treat their employees.

If you've ever went into Shell/Coles Express and wondered why you're asked if you want to buy something else, it's because the employees are MADE to ask, and you can get in hot water if you don't ask EVERY customer, even if that same customer comes in several times every day, and always says "no" - to me, that's not good customer service, that's simply annoying the customer.
Old 25-07-2005, 01:21 AM   #26
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Forgot to add, that was one of the reasons I decided I no longer wanted to work for Shell/Coles Express - they were only interested in the bottom line and had no idea about customer service or how to treat their employees.

If you've ever went into Shell/Coles Express and wondered why you're asked if you want to buy something else, it's because the employees are MADE to ask, and you can get in hot water if you don't ask EVERY customer, even if that same customer comes in several times every day, and always says "no" - to me, that's not good customer service, that's simply annoying the customer.
Did they make you ask " do you want to buy something else" or " can i help you with anything else " or similar ?

Not Judging but i would say it's good customer service to ask if there is anything else that you can help them with and also good for the business. In addition a polite way of saying if you have finished with your purchase it's time to pay up so the next person can be served.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #27
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Did they make you ask " do you want to buy something else" or " can i help you with anything else " or similar ?

Not Judging but i would say it's good customer service to ask if there is anything else that you can help them with and also good for the business. In addition a polite way of saying if you have finished with your purchase it's time to pay up so the next person can be served.
Nope, it had to be "Would you like to buy any of our specials, 2 freddos for $2 and one flyby point or 3 lifesavers for $3" or some variation on that, we had to do the hard sell to EVERY customer and push at least one of the "specials" that are on the counter, usually way overpriced lollies of some kind. Also, being filmed, if you didn't ask everyone and didn't get above a particular % for that shift of the addon sales, the boss would watch the video and check to see if you asked EVERY customer if they wanted any of the "specials" and if you didn't, you would get a written warning.

It got absolutely stupid when we'd get customers coming in and saying "No, I don't want any damn specials" before we got a chance to say anything, or our regular customers who we still had to ask, despite KNOWING that us asking ****ed them off - because they'd say so to us, but what could we do?

I got many compliments from customers on my customer service, my genuine smile and friendly attitude towards them, I enjoyed my job, but it was management and their STUPID ideas (such as turning pre-authorise OFF on all the pumps, meaning that we had to run back to the register to authorise a pump before it would dispense any fuel, making it practically impossible to do any restocking or cleaning while you were working on your own) that made me hate that job.

There were other reasons I decided I no longer wanted to work for them, but that's a subject for another thread, and there are some things that I simply can't say on a public forum, knowledge that I gained while working there that I can't share with the public...
Old 25-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Nope, it had to be "Would you like to buy any of our specials, 2 freddos for $2 and one flyby point or 3 lifesavers for $3" or some variation on that, we had to do the hard sell to EVERY customer and push at least one of the "specials" that are on the counter, usually way overpriced lollies of some kind. Also, being filmed, if you didn't ask everyone and didn't get above a particular % for that shift of the addon sales, the boss would watch the video and check to see if you asked EVERY customer if they wanted any of the "specials" and if you didn't, you would get a written warning.

It got absolutely stupid when we'd get customers coming in and saying "No, I don't want any damn specials" before we got a chance to say anything, or our regular customers who we still had to ask, despite KNOWING that us asking ****ed them off - because they'd say so to us, but what could we do?

I got many compliments from customers on my customer service, my genuine smile and friendly attitude towards them, I enjoyed my job, but it was management and their STUPID ideas (such as turning pre-authorise OFF on all the pumps, meaning that we had to run back to the register to authorise a pump before it would dispense any fuel, making it practically impossible to do any restocking or cleaning while you were working on your own) that made me hate that job.

There were other reasons I decided I no longer wanted to work for them, but that's a subject for another thread, and there are some things that I simply can't say on a public forum, knowledge that I gained while working there that I can't share with the public...

Same here, my boss wanted me to sign a contract saying I couldnt work for another business similar to hers for 2 years and i couldnt disclose info about the business. I didnt sign it, that doesnt mean Im going to blab everybody but still. Personally I think if you need to have your staff sign something like that, youve got something to hide.

I never used to have to plug Freddos or lifesavers, more $3k worth of stuff that nobody wanted. And walking back into the office with my boss waiting for me asking if i got the sale or not was getting increasingly painful.

Like you Troy, i did enjoy my job but it was the boss getting in and meddling with things that killed it for me. I understand its her job and all, and she has her own business to protect and make sure its being run the way she wants, but it really was all the little things that were being cut out or not done that were making the difference. And when youre talking about large sums of money and fairly big purchases for your average family, those little things really do start to add up.

I actually feel very relieved this morning that Im not at work. Mainly because of the stress levels. Its not like Im lazy, Ill work my *** off if something needs doing, but the environment in which you do that and the reasoning behind doing it is what is very important.

Anyway, enough of this, Im off to talk to some people about the AFD and about my rod shop idea. God help me, Im actually taking steps towards it. :
Old 25-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #29
BJ
Banned

BTHF good luck with it all. It is good to see some who has a dream and is going for it. Like you i have been looking at something new in the auto industy and it look like it might just come off. We are looking at moving in the next 2-3 years to around the Bendigo area, and have been lookig at starting some thing up that way as a home based work shop, but back to you i hope it all comes together as the say from littel acorns grow oak trees, so go and live you dream. Big John
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #30
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Anyway, enough of this, Im off to talk to some people about the AFD and about my rod shop idea. God help me, Im actually taking steps towards it. :
Best of luck with it mate, and like I said, if there is anything we can do to help...