Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Funny Motor Show Experiences

I was at the motor show last night, and went to all of the exhibits (including Holden). Anyway after visiting Ford and having a casual chat with a dealer there, we sauntered down to Holden. After seeing the purple fj and lamenting that if you were to give 1.5 million to any manufacturer they could organise an exotic car to be a centrepiece, we had a look at the new apparent Territory Killer. At first glance, I had a sense of De ja vu from seeing the Kia Sportage, but as we continued to look at it some guy In a holden T shirt comes over and tries to stike up a conversation.

His first question was "what do you think?" so I said "not much".
He then asked "Do you think it looks like a Holden?"
I said "No, it looks like that Kia over there with bigger wheels and a new front bumper".
Then this guy was really ****ed. I asked him if he thought that it would beat the territory in sales and his reply was "absolutely".

Any way he left and we overheard another one talking to someone else asking the same questions "Do you think it looks like a Holden?"

The reason I find this funny though is that Holden are having such a difficult time coming to terms with being Kia's , and after hearing someone call out that Holden means a great deal to Korea, I'm guessing the general is now having a bit of an identity issue.

Oh well, we'll see what there sales for rebadged Korean cars does.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

absolutely??? heheh how does it go ...
"tell him hes dreamn'"
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Haha! I love that 'Korea' line.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
hearing someone call out that Holden means a great deal to Korea
Hahaha thats classic.
Holden are slapping that slogon everywhere . lol :1syellow1
Old 15-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

couple of years ago my mate and i went to the adelaide motor show and had a look at the new wrx. the bonnet was up and there were 2 guys and a lady looking at the engine. the lady asked 'what's that on top of the motor?' to which one of the guys answered 'umm, thats the radiator' which my mate then replys, 'nah, thats the intercooler for the turbo' the 2 guys just looked at each other and walked off, now when ever we see a intercooler i say to him, 'hay look at the size of that radiator' :
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
XRchic
Hello

Thats a classic! Some people, I dont know why they bother going to Motorshows... unless its for an education!

My best Motorshow experience was at the Adelaide Motorshow when we were at the Ford stand and I could here these bangs going off in quick succession over by the Holden stand... I go over there and my son had wandered over there and was popping all the Holden balloons - and there were heaps of them. He got most of them... when asked to stop, he told the person that Holden sucked... and continued. I was politely asked to move him on...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Thats a classic! Some people, I dont know why they bother going to Motorshows... unless its for an education!

My best Motorshow experience was at the Adelaide Motorshow when we were at the Ford stand and I could here these bangs going off in quick succession over by the Holden stand... I go over there and my son had wandered over there and was popping all the Holden balloons - and there were heaps of them. He got most of them... when asked to stop, he told the person that Holden sucked... and continued. I was politely asked to move him on...
You have taught him well. LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
chippa6
Novice Professional

Quote:
I wonder if his training can be modified to pop Greg Murphy's Ego !
Old 16-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #9
Lawsy

During the motor show that the xr6T was first releases, we were looking under its skirt along with about 3 others.

Someone asks "wheres the turbo?", and this wog points to the airbox (which had a turbo sticker on it) and goes "its in that box there" (he was serious). Someone else goes,
'No you ********, its off the exhaust manifold, under the heat shroud down here'.

The wog replies "oh, they must do it differently to nissan then"....

No offense to anyone who considers themselves to be a 'wog', but I couldn't help but think that it was typical...
Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Well its obvious a lot of car ignorant people out there....thats why manufactures can sell some less than adequate cars so to speak.
Old 16-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

LMFAO hahahahahaha
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsy
During the motor show that the xr6T was first releases, we were looking under its skirt along with about 3 others.

Someone asks "wheres the turbo?", and this wog points to the airbox (which had a turbo sticker on it) and goes "its in that box there" (he was serious). Someone else goes,
'No you ********, its off the exhaust manifold, under the heat shroud down here'.

No offense to anyone who considers themselves to be a 'wog', but I couldn't help but think that it was typical...
typical of what?
anyone who looks even slightly non anglo saxon?
your apology doesnt cut it for me. yes i am offended that you are stereotyping all people of non english speaking background with your post.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

I mentioned to a colleague who I was there with in a VERY loud voice that I thought the new Barina looked suspiciously like a Daewoo Kalos. The look from all the Holden fans in the vicinity was one of horror. Then my Fist came into contact with a panel on the HSV ute, which left it looking a little worse for wear. An obvious Ford fan came up to me, and congratulated me on my display of affection for the HSV.

At the Ford stand, I had a conversation with a perspective Territory owner, tossing up whether to get a RWD or AWD. I made a comment when outside of the car, that he obviously heard about the reverse camera, and then inside the car, he asked if I owned a Territory. I replied that I did, and was then asked if I thought he would be better off with a RWD or an AWD. I told him to get the AWD because of the woeful gearbox in the RWD. Last year, some trouble maker with a SmartLock key had decided to lock all the cars at the show. None of them were open for about an hour until Ford came and opened the cars. This year, Ford have a flat key, which I know the SmartLock key won't open.

The LandRover stand had some dis-gruntled customer complaining about the fact that his Discovery has rust and other issues as written on his shirt.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #14
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
typical of what?
your apology doesnt cut it for me. yes i am offended that you are stereotyping all people of non english speaking background with your post.
tsk stop complaining about nothing

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #15
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

My best Motorshow experience was at the Adelaide Motorshow when we were at the Ford stand and I could here these bangs going off in quick succession over by the Holden stand... I go over there and my son had wandered over there and was popping all the Holden balloons - and there were heaps of them. He got most of them... when asked to stop, he told the person that Holden sucked... and continued. I was politely asked to move him on...[/QUOTE]

HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is an advertisment Ford should make mate !!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #16
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:

Oh Jaq, you have done a great job training him. He's a really tough kid, alot braver than I am. I wouldn't dare walk over, do and say what he did.
Amazing.

I still reckon that clipsal 500 can throwing story is the best I have ever heard
Old 16-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
typical of what?
Wanna tissue????:
Old 16-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

The man does have a fairly valid point...
Old 16-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

I was sitting in the Audi S4 today... and as I'm in it, these two blokes in their 30s/40s walk up to it, and one guy goes "Wow thats a nice car" or something... and the second guy, obviously trying to be smart, points to the dash and says "Look at all that kevlar... well, its fake kevlar, I guess they're trying to be sporty."

I was wondering to myself where he could see kevlar on the leather-coated dashboard. _
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #20
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

I went with Aimzes to the motor show on Saturday. We managed to get through most of the displays in about 30 minutes. The highlights were probably the XR5T, and the Mini Convertable (only because of the ****y front/rear camera system which we got a full demo of)...

But overall it was boring, so we got stamped and had several drinks, then came back. It was instantly more enjoyable. We jumped in a Tezza and realised that it was one of the few cars where the horn wasn't disabled. So of course we started beeping people and pretending to drive the car. We hoped beyond hope that the horn worked on the Falcon that this guy had his head stuck right in the engine bay checking it all out, but alas it was disabled on that one.

We 'tested' all the electrc seats to see how far they would recline (especially at the subi stand, seat reclining is an important feature). In the fairmont Aimzes was in the rear seat and I was in the drivers, I put the electric seat right back so I was squashing his legs (he couldn't get out) then I did a runner. I eventually let him out but I was useless for about a minute after that I was laughing so hard (guess you had to be there... and drunk).

We found that the Alfa's had the best "new car smell", so we sealed ourselves in it for about 10 minutes to enjoy it. Alfa also won hands down for the best selection of chicks.

All in all a good day but we really had to make our own amusment for it to be enjoyable.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #21
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Last year, some trouble maker with a SmartLock key had decided to lock all the cars at the show. None of them were open for about an hour until Ford came and opened the cars. This year, Ford have a flat key, which I know the SmartLock key won't open.
Crap, I've been busted. Last year all the windows were down on the Falcons so it didn't work.

It was better when I worked there. Oh so funny watching people trying to start the 3.8 Holdens that I'd been busy swapping plug leads around on all week. Pity it's all coil on plug now.

I think it was 2003 someone stole an engine cover from a Pegeot. I remember the salesman running around with another cover trying to find him.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorshow memories:

My mate and I doing a half an hour survey in the inside of a Kia Van with 2 Kia promo chicks just because they were hot...

Listening to comments about the XR6T such as "mate they fully run 20 pound boost standard" to "this car would not beat a VY V6 as it suffers to much from heat soak"

Sneaking into one of the premier car makers stands and having a glass of champaign with Kerry Anne.

Arguing with some guy about a Camry Sportivo which he claimed was faster than any ford or holden non V8 and also claimed all sportivo models were RWD.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I was sitting in the Audi S4 today... and as I'm in it, these two blokes in their 30s/40s walk up to it, and one guy goes "Wow thats a nice car" or something... and the second guy, obviously trying to be smart, points to the dash and says "Look at all that kevlar... well, its fake kevlar, I guess they're trying to be sporty."
LOL! At least the Audi chick didnt walk up to you! I was sitting in the S4 and she walked over and continued to comment on the car.... then asked if i would like to see the boot?.... um.... sure, im sitting in a $100K+ V8 Audi and im interested in the boot!?! Maybe because i was in a suit she thought i played golf?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #24
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I scared the hell out of some guy looking at the Pursuit ute last year.
Wasn't doing anything, just sitting in it, he poked his head in the open window, and noticing a girl sitting in it went "WHOA!!" as he wasn't expecting it, then bashed his head on the roof when he went to stand up.

I cracked up, got out and moved on to the Typhoon. Heard his mates giving him a hard time about it though.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #25
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsy

Just to let you know, I'm a wog, and know my fair share. I find it offensive that you have singled us all out because of one morone. Every race has its dumbasses, and just because you will usually see the dumbass wogs out, doesn't mean there are smart ones out there who know what they are on about. It is offensive and i believe your an even bigger idiot than that wog, from falling down to a level of such stupidty as i could go on.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #26
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkXr
Wanna tissue????:
Let me throw a couple of comments about people of your race round like that indirectly including you to see how much you like it.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Let it go guys, this is about motorshow experiences.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
Just to let you know, I'm a wog, and know my fair share. I find it offensive that you have singled us all out because of one morone. Every race has its dumbasses, and just because you will usually see the dumbass wogs out, doesn't mean there are smart ones out there who know what they are on about. It is offensive and i believe your an even bigger idiot than that wog, from falling down to a level of such stupidty as i could go on.
so it's alright to go and see wogs out of work and have a laugh but not laugh at a gesture made towards europeans.. ashamed of being stereotyped are we. get over yourself man . most europeans marry thier own race because they think thier own race is more suitable to them .most young europeans hang out with thier own kind and pick on anglosaxens . i was looked down on by 3 differant european nieghbours for being married to an aussie woman . do i give a sh1te . l couldn't give a rats . but you people having a whinge about being called wogs in a light hearted way , really offend me.you call ytouselves wogs in pride . but god forbid being stereotyped . get over youself man . life is to short .stereotyped .if you think you get victimised go to another country and find out thier terms of victimisation.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #29
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
so it's alright to go and see wogs out of work and have a laugh but not laugh at a gesture made towards europeans.. ashamed of being stereotyped are we. get over yourself man . most europeans marry thier own race because they think thier own race is more suitable to them .most young europeans hang out with thier own kind and pick on anglosaxens . i was looked down on by 3 differant european nieghbours for being married to an aussie woman . do i give a sh1te . l couldn't give a rats . but you people having a whinge about being called wogs in a light hearted way , really offend me.you call ytouselves wogs in pride . but god forbid being stereotyped . get over youself man . life is to short .stereotyped .if you think you get victimised go to another country and find out thier terms of victimisation.
Im proud to be a wog and all the rest of it, and i do never look down on any other race as people are different, and all i was saying is that you can't put a whole race down because of one morone. For your information, my best mates are Aussie and Turk. THIS IS A PLACE I COME TO SOCIALISE WITH PEOPLE FOR A COMMON INTEREST AS A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE WOULD AGREE. It is not a place where I come to have such comments be made out about my race and confusing a minority. But as said about last friday's cruise, it only takes one to give the pack a bad name. Im not going to pursue this anyfurther as, i made my point.
Old 19-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #30
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last motor show i went to wasn't too interesting. The only highlight which i can remember was the Ferrari Enzo and also the Scaliagti(or however they spell it). I still havent been to an auto saloon. Is it any better than the motor show?