Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/...youre-breaking

We Aussies are brilliant drivers with an unassailable knowledge of the road rules. Well, that's what we tell ourselves and anyone else who asks.

But do you really know the road rules as well as you think?

We've trawled through the drudgery of the NSW road legislation to bring you the 10 road rules you had no idea you were breaking.

Having an animal or person on your lap while driving

Driving with your pet Pug on your lap — or another kind of special friend — is now considered not having "proper control of a vehicle". The loophole here is that this does not apply if you are travelling less than 500m for the purpose of farming. Funnily enough, the rules do not specify if this loophole is only applicable to animals, though you'd need to be fairly creative to justify using your girlfriend for farming. Otherwise the fine is $324 and three demerit points, or $405 and four demerit points if committed in a school zone.

Turning left after a slip lane

The implementation of slips lanes has improved traffic flows, which is why you now receive two demerit points and a $189 fine if you ignore one and wait until after passing it to turn.

Beeping the horn

Sounding your horn wantonly is an offence. The only time it is permissible is when warning other motorists or animals of a moving vehicle, or if it is part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device fitted to the vehicle.

Continuously driving on the white edge line

100m is the total distance you can drive on the outside edge line of a road before it becomes a two demerit point and $189 offence. This includes when driving straight along a road, turning at an intersection, entering or leaving the road and stopping at the side of the road.

Splashing mud on bus passengers

According to the NSW rulebook you must slow down or stop completely so as not to splash mud on anyone in, on, entering, exiting or waiting for a bus. Otherwise you may incur a maximum penalty of 20 penalty units ($2,200).

Mobile phone use

Not using a mobile phone while driving doesn't just mean not speaking on it — it also applies to holding a phone to or near your ear, writing, sending or reading text messages, switching the phone on or off, or operating any other function of the phone.

Having your music up too loud

Anything deemed to cause unnecessary noise or smoke can be considered an offence. So no burnouts and keep the One Direction at a reasonable level.

Riding an unlit horse at night

Even though the motor vehicle has been around for over 100 years, many people insist that literal horsepower is still the best way to go. And for those that do, the regulations are almost as strict as those on motorists. So for all you Amish out there, make sure you have the correct combination of red and white lights fitted in the correct places.

Road Rage

Shaking your fists at and abusing fellow motorists can become a costly mistake if you're caught. Aggressive driving such as tailgating or sudden braking is also considered road rage. The maximum penalty for a first time road rage offence is $3,300 and 18 months in jail, while a second offence increases this to $5,500 and two years imprisonment. In both cases there is also the possibility of permanent license disqualification.

Riding a tricycle on the road

A 2008 amendment to the road rules defines anyone in a "wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy" to be a pedestrian rather than a motorist or rider. Therefore scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, tricycles and pedal cars cannot be ridden on any road which has a dividing line or a speed limit greater than 50km/h.

xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

Was just reading that haaaaa...

Guilty as charged... probably on all accounts.... several times :(

Prob get life.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so am I ok to keep spashing WATER on bus passengers, or mud on anyone else?
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my wife's horse didnt take kindly to the 7/16th drill bit inthe *** cheeks when i try'd to put the tail lights on
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gotta do a pilot hole
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Miss_XR6

WTF splashing mud I think that is just revenue raising there
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Beeping the horn

Sounding your horn wantonly is an offence. The only time it is permissible is when warning other motorists or animals of a moving vehicle, or if it is part of an anti-theft or alcohol interlock device fitted to the vehicle.
Can't toot pedestrians to warn of a moving vehicle? Suits me
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Another good one people dont know is that the maximum speed at which you can enter a roundabout is 21kph.
Old 23-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cann't flash your lights from low to high beam to warn of a revenue camera. BUT you can flash from off to low beam to warn of the revenue camera.
If you hit livestock, farmer can sue for loss of live stock.
Thats in QLD.
Old 23-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
WTF splashing mud I think that is just revenue raising there
Yup... all of the two people charged with it in the last hundred years raised a tonne of revenue.....
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
You cann't flash your lights from low to high beam to warn of a revenue camera. BUT you can flash from off to low beam to warn of the revenue camera.
Thats in QLD.
Which is what I do... I remember a person going to court and getting off because she did just that. No law against flashing regular headlights!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

When it comes to Aussie drivers and road rules I apply my 100% rule.

They all say they know all the rules.
However 95% know 5% of the rules. (hence100%)
I have read the rule book (not the learners book) more than once, it's big but worth the read. I know it's also available online.

Problem is, you do not need to know many rules to get your licence. Most are forgotten whilst having a licence. Some are faded by the classic 'My mate heard from a guy at the pub once that a copper said'.

Why I don't understand (well actually I do) is why there are aren't frequent ad's on TV, radio and in magazines showing road rules. actually putting in the faces of the road users. Not just the 'Speed kills' garbage that they do.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Well it makes perfect sense, don't hit cows!
Unless it escaped from a paddock and ran infront of you.
And if the escaped via a poorly kept fence, you can recover your costs from the farmer!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Assassinbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
so am I ok to keep spashing WATER on bus passengers, or mud on anyone else?
No no, you can not splash "Bus Passengers" but anyone else who is not near or at a bus stop is ok to splash
Damn bus passengers, buy a 40 year old V8 & contribute to the so called climate change, & keep some people in a job
Old 23-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/...youre-breaking

Having an animal or person on your lap while driving

Driving with your pet Pug on your lap — or another kind of special friend — is now considered not having "proper control of a vehicle". The loophole here is that this does not apply if you are travelling less than 500m for the purpose of farming. Funnily enough, the rules do not specify if this loophole is only applicable to animals, though you'd need to be fairly creative to justify using your girlfriend for farming. Otherwise the fine is $324 and three demerit points, or $405 and four demerit points if committed in a school zone.

But what about if it's a seeing eye dog? Are they exempt?
Old 23-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Yup... all of the two people charged with it in the last hundred years raised a tonne of revenue.....
2 people or not its a pathetic law
Old 23-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Well it makes perfect sense, don't hit cows!
Unless it escaped from a paddock and ran infront of you.
And if the escaped via a poorly kept fence, you can recover your costs from the farmer!
This one is crap. You are right in your comments LTDHO. It's the other way around. Farmers are held directly responsible if their livestock gets on to a road and causes an incident. They must ensure that their fences are in good order and their gates are closed. If you hit one of their livestock, they are in the poo.
Old 23-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Current Legal Situation
Queensland still relies on an old common law rule (Searle v Wallbank) for animals
straying onto the road or highway, whereby owners will usually be immune from
liability in negligence.
At common law, the owner or occupier of land adjoining a highway owes no duty of
care to users of the highway for damage caused by straying stock. An owner or
occupier does not even have a duty to maintain his or her fences to prevent cattle
straying onto the road.
Page 1 of 5
http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets...ying_stock.pdf
Old 23-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
2 people or not its a pathetic law
No it's not a pathetic law. Some idiots deliberately do it. Some see in about to happen but don't care. It's an ok law. Yet I doubt it's ever enforced.

As for the list of unknown laws, I was aware of all of them except the slip lane one, I wasn't sure the law regarding it, I assumed it would be illegal.

I was aware that a horses carriage must be lit up at night, didnt know about the actually horse being lit up.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Does a horse need to be registered to run on the road? And does one need a rider's license to operate a horse?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
But what about if it's a seeing eye dog? Are they exempt?
Ummm, if they owned a seeing eye dog - they wouldn't be driving....
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
No it's not a pathetic law. Some idiots deliberately do it. Some see in about to happen but don't care. It's an ok law. Yet I doubt it's ever enforced.

As for the list of unknown laws, I was aware of all of them except the slip lane one, I wasn't sure the law regarding it, I assumed it would be illegal.

I was aware that a horses carriage must be lit up at night, didnt know about the actually horse being lit up.

Mud is not water so most cities which have buses wouldnt have mud areas near bus stops ect
I have just confirmed this with HWP as I have a few friends and splashing water on bus passengers has no fine
Old 23-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Thumbs down Re: Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Does a horse need to be registered to run on the road? And does one need a rider's license to operate a horse?
No, but you can get done for drink driving on a horse. At least the was the case when I lived in QLD.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
No, but you can get done for drink driving on a horse. At least the was the case when I lived in QLD.
I thought I read a story where some guy got done for drink driving on a kid's tricycle.

What actually constitutes a vehicle in the eyes of the law? Must the piece of machinery actually make contact with the road? Always wondered if I won the lottery to travel around in a hovercraft and see if mr plod could actually still fine me for speeding in a flying vehicle.
Old 23-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
I thought I read a story where some guy got done for drink driving on a kid's tricycle.

What actually constitutes a vehicle in the eyes of the law? Must the piece of machinery actually make contact with the road? Always wondered if I won the lottery to travel around in a hovercraft and see if mr plod could actually still fine me for speeding in a flying vehicle.

Motor vehicle: means a vehicle that is built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle.

You cannot breath test anyone that isn't driving/attempting to put a motor vehicle in motion (driver in drivers seat & key in the ignition) a motor vehicle. They can however be done by DUI/Sobriety test...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #26
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
Motor vehicle: means a vehicle that is built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle.

You cannot breath test anyone that isn't driving/attempting to put a motor vehicle in motion (driver in drivers seat & key in the ignition) a motor vehicle. They can however be done by DUI/Sobriety test...
Legally a pushbike is a motor vehicle but it doesn't have a motor. I'm sure a pushbike can get a speeding fine . All I could see in common betwen it and a 'car' is circular wheels in contact with the road. The rider isn't exactly part of the pushbike.
Old 23-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Legally a pushbike is a motor vehicle but it doesn't have a motor.
No. Its not.

Feel free to look it up for your self. Dont spruke the wrong info on here without being able to back it up.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...005242/s3.html

Anything that travels on a road and exceeds the speed limit can receive a speeding fine. The speed limit is there for any form of transport/vehicle that travels on the road.
Old 23-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
No. Its not.

Feel free to look it up for your self. Dont spruke the wrong info on here without being able to back it up.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...005242/s3.html

Anything that travels on a road and exceeds the speed limit can receive a speeding fine. The speed limit is there for any form of transport/vehicle that travels on the road.
Mis-used the word 'motor vehicle', I meant to say vehicle.

'Under the Road Rules, bicycles are considered to be vehicles'

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...s/Bicycles.htm

From your link:

"use" of a vehicle includes standing the vehicle on a road.
"vehicle" means:
(a) any description of vehicle on wheels (including a light rail vehicle) but not including any other vehicle used on a railway or tramway, or

So if there are no wheels, its not a vehicle?
Old 23-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Mis-used the word 'motor vehicle', I meant to say vehicle.

'Under the Road Rules, bicycles are considered to be vehicles'

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...s/Bicycles.htm

Correct. As I said...
Old 23-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought anyone with a brain would have known those...I thought they were going to reveal something really interesting, unusual, and shocking.
It's always been against the law to have someone or some animal riding in your lap while driving, the horn one (say, tooting the horn as you drive away from a mates house) is one that may surprise a lot of people, but it's fairly widely known as "unneccisary noise".

Where's some really odd ones, like the way the law in England until only thalate 20th century still required a guy with a red flag to walk 30 yards in front of a motor vehicle to warn people of its approach?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post