Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Default Best deal on Ipod Video or MP4 player?

All, looking to expand my range of gadgets to include a portable media player. I actually already have a 100G Altech one but it's downside is that it is not battery powered and can't be used without an external screen. That's all good and well for what I bought it for but I now need a standalone battery powered player for every other day of the week.

Have had a cursory look at the market and there appears to be a pretty wide range of products in the MP3/MP4 arena, most of which look to be totally shyte Chinese junk (ok ok they're ALL probably made in China now but they're not all the same quality!).

The two contenders at the moment are the Ipod Video (60G) and the Archos AV range, which has less storage and higher price (but much better functionality). Nothing from the IRiver range grabbed me especially and their original selling point of price advantage seems to be non-existant any more.

Does anyone have any good connections for these, which would be at least competitive with Ebay on price? Or does anyone have any alternative makes/models which fit the bill? Not interested in anything under 40G in storage, as my meagre MP3 collection has just hit the 50G mark.

Thanks all!

Old 17-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate,

Just find a uni student to order through you from the apple website - Uni students get a 10% discount on ipods - though apple may require you to actually prove you are a student - so for warranty purposes, try and have a student acquire it for you.

http://www.apple.com/au/education/he...discounts.html

-Dave
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Well these guys seem as cheap as any... $565, and since they have a local outlet I can save on postage as well. Probably $100 worth of accessories that I'd get too like FM transmitter, and maybe a car kit type thing (cradle, power cable etc).

http://www.cworld.com.au/product_info.php?ID=119663
Old 17-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Have a lookie see at this nice little toy
It can take any of the PC laptop hard drives. Plays music, video & has picture viewing software. Also has inbuilt card readers built into the case, supporting all of the major camera supported memory card formats. Supports all of the usual image formats, including RAW (even PC's need dedicated software to do this)This makes it ideal for using as an image tank to transfer pics onto in the field.
Pricing is EXTREMELY competitive (I got mine with a 100gb hd, for around the $500 mark)
If you wanna have a closer look / play give me a holler, tis well worth the look.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Well these guys seem as cheap as any... $565, and since they have a local outlet I can save on postage as well. Probably $100 worth of accessories that I'd get too like FM transmitter, and maybe a car kit type thing (cradle, power cable etc).

Computer World are really good for prices on computer products, I find them almost impossible to beat. Their in store service has always been pathetic in my past 5+ years dealing with them. I hope it's gotten better in the past six months. :gren:

Nice unit by the way

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well these guys seem as cheap as any... $565[/url]
$537.90 from Apple Mr Sparkle! With postage included!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

When you say FM Transmitter, I assume a device that connects to the top of the iPod which you brodcast it on the FM band? If so, don't bother as it's a monumental waste of money.

*At best* it sounds like a badly tuned station, mostly it'll amplify the noise on the frequency so you get heaps of crosstalk.

It might be ok if the iPod is stationary and near the aerial of the radio you want to receive (didn't try it) but in the car it's frustrating to the extreme.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Well doing some more digging, seems the Ipod video is a bit lacking in the trousers department, not to mention the functionality department.

Consequently, this offering (to be released around the end of the month) has taken number 1 with a bullet. Best of all I'll be able to keep my current 100G drive and switch it between the Altech and this one. Sweet!

Old 18-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

A wise choice Sparkler - Im positive you'll be happy with it.(Might be time to upgrade the 6210 to the new model - I can keep most of the bits & simply slot em into the new case)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post