Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

guys i will say this we get free fuel that is why we have a gt . my work car is on lpg . so i wouldn't be bothered about fuel increases right . ( wrong) our groceries have gone up about 40 bucks per week in the past year . lpg will probably follow . less imports into australia means less revenue for my company ( employer) which means job threats or at the very least no overtime. end results are costs costs costs and more costs. ultimately leading to high inflation that no body can do anything about because everyone is on an E.B.A. WHICH DICTATES THIER FORCASTED WAGES. OR casual with no rights.which is exactly what politics wants. more revenue good for the economy bad for the people . more competitive due to wage restrictions as nobody gets pay increases due to inflation any more so the solution becomes give up some more and we will give you more hours of work if you dont like it somebody else will do it and by the way we cant afford to pay penalty rates anymore they don't pay these in china .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm well aware of what we're being taxed and what supposedly for. They aren't exactly honest I can assure you off that. Not all of the $ goes where legistlation states it was supposed to go. Governments are good at re-routing funds.

It's good in theory but the gov'ts are cutting off their nose spite their face. Fuel rises, tax larger cars, people stop driving cars, gov't revenue drops. The last thing the gov't wants is the cash cow to stop mooing.

Time for work cya ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

If the main factor of the price of fuel is the cost of crude. Why is there such a drastic difference between what we pay, what americans pay and what european nations pay for fuel per litre? If world oil prices dicated the cost domestically surely we should all have similar priced fuel per litre.

Same goes for price increases due to the fossil fuel running out. Shouldnt that also push worl prices up in general. So the countries that use the most should be charged more to reduce their consumption and extend the availability of fossil fuel

Interestingly. I watched something recently on BMW. A BMW exec was saying Hydrogen is the fuel of the future but not fuel cell hydrogen, internal combustion engines will remain he says. And he also said they will have a hydrogen fueled car (prototype maybe) on the road within ten years or so. But he definately said hydrogen was the path BMW were taking for the future fuel.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
If the main factor of the price of fuel is the cost of crude. Why is there such a drastic difference between what we pay, what americans pay and what european nations pay for fuel per litre? If world oil prices dicated the cost domestically surely we should all have similar priced fuel per litre.
Americans pay very little tax on their fuel. Very interesting graph altho im not sure it's what the "let's cut the tax" proponents will want to see:

This demonstrates quite effectively, that the "non-tax" component of fuel is similar in most OECD countries - I think this answers your query?

You will also note that we pay considerably less tax on our fuel than, well, everyone except USA, Mexico and Canada....
Old 19-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Americans pay very little tax on their fuel. Very interesting graph altho im not sure it's what the "let's cut the tax" proponents will want to see:

This demonstrates quite effectively, that the "non-tax" component of fuel is similar in most OECD countries - I think this answers your query?

You will also note that we pay considerably less tax on our fuel than, well, everyone except USA, Mexico and Canada....
I wonder what that graph would look like if Arab states were added in there...

Just for an idea, quote from http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?R...tCountry=YEMEN
Quote:
SANA, 21 Jul 2005 (IRIN) - Tension remains high in the Yemeni capital, Sana, after 16 people were reportedly killed on Wednesday during protests....

"This is really a crazy decision. I cannot pay 1,300 riyals (US $7) for 20 litres of petrol. I will have to park my car at home or sell it. People are very poor and can no longer afford any price hikes," Mohammed Ali, an angry protestor, said.

The same amount of petrol previously cost $4.....

The Yemeni government decided on Tuesday to lift subsidies on oil products in order to tackle a rising budget deficit as a result of the international increase in the price of crude oil.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

now lets rate income taxes and gst with all these developed countries shall we.any one asked thier accountants lately about who pays the most tax in the developed world ? i wouldn't know but my accountant should . answer from him is ICELAND. his reasoning is because they have very little population . secondly followed by australia . no it couldn't be could it .( overall tax here )
but on the other hand i have asked lots of people who have come here to live from other developed countries why do they chose to live here and the answer usually is the weather is better tha lifestyle is better , but the money isn't very good here ,they say the lifestyle and the weather outwieghs the finance.all excapt americans who don't know the differance between australia , austria , and lebonon.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
now lets rate income taxes and gst with all these developed countries shall we.any one asked thier accountants lately about who pays the most tax in the developed world ? i wouldn't know but my accountant should . answer from him is ICELAND. his reasoning is because they have very little population . secondly followed by australia . no it couldn't be could it .( overall tax here )
but on the other hand i have asked lots of people who have come here to live from other developed countries why do they chose to live here and the answer usually is the weather is better tha lifestyle is better , but the money isn't very good here ,they say the lifestyle and the weather outwieghs the finance.all excapt americans who don't know the differance between australia , austria , and lebonon.
Had an American move here and started work in the same office. He was always b!tching about the tax and expenses in Australia. He moved back to the USA a few weeks ago e

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
now lets rate income taxes and gst with all these developed countries shall we
Can do:

Yep, we're right up there. But when does the analysis stop? We have an incredible public health system that costs taxpayers about $55 billion a year to operate... fairly generous welfare system...

GST rates... well, a few of them... there is over 200 countries that charge this stuff... (GST and VAT)

USA: n/a (sales taxes)
Mexico: 15%
Canada: 7 - 15% depending on province
NZ: 12.5%
Greece: 19%
Poland: 22%
France: 19.6%
Germany: 16%
Netherlands: 19%
Spain: 16%
Japan: 5%

Seems like Canada puts us all to shame - low marginal tax, little fuel excise, free health system, GST not too bad... pity about all the Candians ;)

Either way, doesnt look like we have it too bad considering there's only 20 odd million of us and probably only 12 million of us paying tax and supporting a large, developed country....
Old 19-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Mate post graphs till the cows come home for all i care, it won't change the fact that Howard led people to believe all these taxes would scapped in favour of 10% GST across the board, the GST was voted in, then came the exceptions, ciggarettes and alcohol has to have a "sin tax" for being bad for you, excise stayed on fuel and GST was added to it, we have been and will continue to be shafted.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Mate post graphs till the cows come home for all i care,
What's the point? Just trying to use some facts to support where im coming from. Everyone else seems happy to rely on conjecture and heresay to point fingers at the government.
Old 19-09-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
What's the point? Just trying to use some facts to support where im coming from. Everyone else seems happy to rely on conjecture and heresay to point fingers at the government.
Nevermind me, i'm lashing out due to frustration, but if not the government, who else has the power to do something.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #12
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
READ THIS
THE FEDERAL GOVT IS PLANNING TO RAISE THE FUEL EXCISE...
WHO DO WE BLAME FOR THAT??
THEYVE JUST MADE A RECORD WINDFALL AND NOW THEY WANT MORE!!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
READ THIS
THE FEDERAL GOVT IS PLANNING TO RAISE THE FUEL EXCISE...
WHO DO WE BLAME FOR THAT??
THEYVE JUST MADE A RECORD WINDFALL AND NOW THEY WANT MORE!!!
NO NEED TO YELL!!!

It runs for 2 years and is about 0.6c/L. And guess what? It was planned back in 2003. I didnt hear you complaining about it then??? Hell, Howard went to the polls again since then and was handed another mandate.

Guess what - there's more to life than f--king tax and petrol prices. Open your eyes.
Old 19-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
AusCaRnAgEr
1982 Ford XE Falcon 351

When will people realise that diesels use en less fuel then Petrol, yet people seem to feel the need to charge us more for having them...
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #15
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

fuel prices are going up and will keep going up as it gets harder to find easy places to extract the crude... we'l probably never run out of crude, but the last bits will be too expensive to extract to make it viable for everyday mass use.. hence hybrid/hydrogen etc etc..
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #16
AusCaRnAgEr
1982 Ford XE Falcon 351

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt the last estimate for full depletion of the fuel reserves to be 2025-2030?
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:27 AM   #17
Philbie
Drvtme

:

this debate will never end.......if cars ran on fresh air - they'd fine a way to charge us for that!!!

NEVER EVER will it end........NEVER EVER will things get cheaper - and NEVER EVER will politians listen to their voters......

What happened to dymo run lights on push bikes? free to run - no costs involved!

They develop a friction free ceramic engine - it gets canned by all types of companies, why? cause it eliminates oil!

They develop a methane car - the oil companys bought it out.....

They invented electric scooters that charge off friction from the contact on the road - yet another "bought item"

bottom line? ------ politics plays too much havoc in the world as we know it today. We are sheep being lead to the slaughter.

if they don't get control first - mother nature and it's anger at how we treat this plant will.....

:

my answer..........

"Mov'in to the country - gunna eat me alot of peaches"

_ _

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:42 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no two ways about it mr howard is taking his share and then some , and there are many other fuels that we could be using and perhaps should be using, that are cheaper and more envirometally friendly but its easier for oil companys and goverments to rape profits and taxes out of us
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 06:36 AM   #19
Dodge
i like to be stroked

so its OK to have 100 V8s sitting outside Palament house all day running with the driver and AC on. Its OK for a pollitition to fly where ever ,whenever they want, for free, its OK for a pollos family to run up hugh phone bills and travel around for free while i work and pay a taxes on my taxes. lets stand up to them
Old 20-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point Dodge. I dont see why any politicians should have to use a hire car wherever they go either. Surely a taxi is sufficient enough for unofficial gatherings. The amount of money they rack up in travel expenses is just BS, yet we get charged heaps for using our own means of getting somewhere.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #21
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd be amusing to loose all state gov'ts and only have a federal one. That'd save the tax payer money. I think you'll find what annoys people is the gov't state/federal posts record profits like Telstra did for example. Then they increase the tax/bill? Isn't the gov't supposed to work for the public? Not against it.

It would be ideal but will never happen if the gov't turned non-profit. It's all been screwed up too long ago and now we (Australia) owe other countries money. I won't how this free trade agreement will go? It may add to our problems?

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post