Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #61
SSbaby
Banned

I agree. You are, after all, paying for the high wages of the German worker. But as with any business, the easiest way to reduce costs is to look at reducing labour costs.

Nissan's remarkable revival from the neardeath experience can be attributed to drastic cost cutting, namely importing a lot of Chinese made components, instead of sourcing components from traditional suppliers in Japan.

I hear the new Fiesta, on sale next month, is being made in India...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 PM   #62
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Haha, maybe in your neck of the woods mate, round here they have taken to Mercs and 5 series BMWs pretty strongly.
yeah im talking about the average middle man

did you hear that group that was targetting asians in Mercs and BMW's...

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #63
Paxton
Cobblers!

Don't ask me why they do it, however it is ONLY if you have a company car. If you go Novated Lease or Car Allowance, you can have whatever from ANY car maker in the country.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I agree. You are, after all, paying for the high wages of the German worker. But as with any business, the easiest way to reduce costs is to look at reducing labour costs.

Nissan's remarkable revival from the neardeath experience can be attributed to drastic cost cutting, namely importing a lot of Chinese made components, instead of sourcing components from traditional suppliers in Japan.

I hear the new Fiesta, on sale next month, is being made in India...
But only for the Indian market, the other Fiesta we have in Australia (which is a totally different body) is made in Europe and exported around the world.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
This explains why the Klugger and the Avalon are selling so poorly. They may be good quality, however they are crap to drive, and they look atrocious. The only good looking Toyota is the Prado, and it isn't all that good anyway. I swore myself off Toyota in 1995, when I got rid of my Corolla for an XR6. The Corolla is still going, however it was the pits in terms of driving engagement. The XR6 was spectacular to drive, and looked good.

Another thing I hate about Toyota is the way they advertise the 4 Cyl Camry as a Medium Car, whilst the V6 is a Large car, even though they are identical in dimensions. Maybe we should contact the ACCC?

-Andrew
I heard Toyota advertise the Camry 4 cylinder as the most fuel efficient large car in Oz. Seems like they swap it around to suit their requirements. Who the hell would consider a 4 cylinder Camry as a large car.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
LS400 just doesn't produce anywhere near the grunt that the BOSS does. It's torque that kills drivelines... and sometimes engines themselves. A 4.0L V8 wouldn't pull skin from custard. So 6 bolt mains is a bit excessive. However, LS1s have 6 bolt mains for a good reason... it's to look after the aftermarket which is a fair portion of Holden buyers. Similar story at Ford.

Btw, how many Astra and Focus buyers complain about their engines/drivelines. Not too many judging from reactions to forums... much like the normal Toyota crowd.
Cross bolted main caps were introduced on the Modular engines to increase rigidity to help NVH reduction. Barra 6 as well. Lexus would have done it for the same reason and Chevrolet probably would have too, it has nothing to do with the aftermarket. Stiffness and strength is just a bonus for the people who modify them.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #67
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Cross bolted main caps were introduced on the Modular engines to increase rigidity to help NVH reduction. Barra 6 as well. Lexus would have done it for the same reason and Chevrolet probably would have too, it has nothing to do with the aftermarket. Stiffness and strength is just a bonus for the people who modify them.
Is that cross bolted or 6 bolt mains?

Even the Ecotec V6 had cross bolted (4 bolt) mains.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Is that cross bolted or 6 bolt mains?

Even the Ecotec V6 had cross bolted (4 bolt) mains.
The Barra 6 is cross bolted, not sure about the Modular.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #69
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
If I had a company car, this would be the case where I work also. When I started, I was offered, and drove a Holden Calais for a while, with my then Fiancé driving my Patrol. It was not until I got settled was I allowed to choose my car, which was a Falcon XR6. Not the above mentioned one although. My Work has no deals with Toyota, with their reasoning being: 'We are a big company in a big country, with a sales team needing the most comfortable car available on the market, and that is why we choose to drive Rear Wheel Drive cars. We will NOT approve FWD cars, due to the restrictions on these conditions.'

I liked the old model Camry, and the Vienta Grandé in the square shape was actually quite a nice car.

-Andrew

I agree with this to a point, but the Camry (first of the wide body and the new ones) have actually more room than my parents VX Commodore. This is from experiance and not from the adds. The problem with the four cylinder car had no balls.
In terms of build quality it had the entire dash board replaced (under warrenty) but the auto went after 120,000km which is according to the transmission guy a common fault. To fix this costs about $2500 plus a diff rebuild which is almost always needed as the bearing that's the fault destroys the diff. This design fault was confirmed by a few transmission places.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #70
SSbaby
Banned

You are correct. The Camry's interior is more spacious than Commodore's... and so is its boot (by around 50% I'd say!!!).
Old 09-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #71
Bleifuss

Never mind

Last edited by Bleifuss; 10-10-2005 at 08:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #72
RATT

So what does that have to do with Corolla sales?????? Or are you here just to troll?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post