Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I wouldnt say it was a Dilemma, wish i had a dilemma of this sort on my hands.

See how the BMW goes, if your wife is happy to drive it as a daily then give it to her and cancel the 6...

Otherwise id sell it and buy a BF GT... You would have more fun an GT as a weekend car then a BMW 5 series, even tho they are very nice cars!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #62
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me I would cancel Mazda ASAP hoping there was no charge and if there is a cooling off period then it should be unconditional, I could understand a cost if it were 5 weeks into order time. This would then give you time to reasses your needs and situation. Maybe trading the terra on a more car like vehicle would be OK for the misses, something that can tow the boat. Think XR6 Turbo hehe. Wouldn't be much more pricey than 6. Better on fuel than terra too,can you get an XR6 on gas?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #63
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Me I would cancel Mazda ASAP hoping there was no charge and if there is a cooling off period then it should be unconditional, I could understand a cost if it were 5 weeks into order time. This would then give you time to reasses your needs and situation. Maybe trading the terra on a more car like vehicle would be OK for the misses, something that can tow the boat. Think XR6 Turbo hehe. Wouldn't be much more pricey than 6. Better on fuel than terra too,can you get an XR6 on gas?
I called up and cancelled the Mazda. The sales manager took my speel on a 'change of circumstances had required us to re-think our position on the car. however it appears that I will loose 30% on the car, which will allow the dealer to re-sell the car, as it has been taken back as demonstration stock, so at $13,000 for a BMW that sold for over $100,000 in 1999 (first registered in 2000) is amazing. The look on my neighbors face when the car arrived was nothing short of laughable.

The price of fuel has never worried me, mainly because of the Caltex card that I carry. I don't know however, how I could justify a GT-P, especially when I have never had a V8, and I have never felt the need for power. The Wife toddled off to work in the BMW today, and as she got into the car, and drove away, there was a smirk on her face, like I have never seen. I may have a Test Drive of the XR6 Turbo with the 6 Speed auto, and then decide if I would be happy with the BMW as my car, leaving the Wife to drive the Falcon, or just buy a third car when the need arises.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #64
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Well done on your new toy. My parents have a 2003 540i and I have to say no ford (or Mazda) is a shadow on the quality from BMW (not a shadow on price either). They are beautiful pieces of art and I am so jealous. i got to borrow the BMW for a week while my car was having rust fixed and I didn't want to give it back, one day I will get one of my own!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #65
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, considering the 530i costs money to run (more fuel the the mazda, service costs, insurance etc) i say sell the mazda, take a family holiday, and use all the money left over to run the 530i

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #66
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

SHESH! $13000 to give to Mazda to re sell the car? AS IF it will cost them that much! I think you should ask for the Mazda6.... and then sell it privately for $6000 less then you paid.... like that you are sure to find someone interested!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #67
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
SHESH! $13000 to give to Mazda to re sell the car? AS IF it will cost them that much! I think you should ask for the Mazda6.... and then sell it privately for $6000 less then you paid.... like that you are sure to find someone interested!

Probably a very good option, a BMW for $6000 (lucky bugger)

I don't know if the BMW 530 would cost a lot more to run, our Mazda 3 SP23 (same motor as the Mazda 6) uses around 7L/100km City cycle (lighter car than Mazda 6 but the wife is a bit of a lead foot). I know my parents 540i uses about 9L/100km (4.4L motor compared to 3L for the 530), the beamers are really very efficient vehicles.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #68
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Mmm, the BM has front and rear fog lights, AND a triangle:-)

Very good, your wife will enjoy her new toy.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail....ory&class_id=7
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #69
Moya

Find a problem with the Mazda, get out of the contract, then be proud owner of a non-financed BMW
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #70
turbo00007
Boost

You poor thing
What a S#$% spot to be in lol
turbo00007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #71
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo00007
You poor thing
What a S#$% spot to be in lol
i know!!!!!! I would be slashing my wrists!

Keepleft, you get excited about some strange things but whatever floats your boat!
Old 12-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #72
NA XR6
!!

Me too i just wouldnt be able to handle the pressure
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #73
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep beemer.
Keep mazda 6 for wifey.
Sell territory.
Buy classic GT for toy.

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #74
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gave wife the BM to drive to work today eh? Hmmmmmmm methinks you are in the good books tonight matey : : :
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #75
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Gave wife the BM to drive to work today eh? Hmmmmmmm methinks you are in the good books tonight matey : : :
I am happy with the Territory for the moment. The BMW needs to be driven, and the furthest from home I went today was to McDonalds for lunch (only 1 Km away), but otherwise I was stuck at home working on a Tender. I am going to Canberra tomorrow so I am taking the BMW there. Its time to test out the economy of a 5 Speed auto. I can't wait.

-Andrew
Old 12-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #76
Paxton
Cobblers!

How does this sound to punters?

Continue with the purchase of the Mazda6
Sell the Mazda6, and trade the Territory back to Ford
Purchase an SY Territory Ghia AWD

Enjoy my new cars.

The new Territory will allow me to enjoy the car that is a Territory, and also let some poor bugger put up with my Lemon, and I can have a fault free (I Hope) car.

-Andrew
Old 12-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #77
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Andrew, did you put a deposit down on the Mazda, and if so, will they refund it ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #78
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd sell the BMW. Maintenance and repairs on those things are expensive. Insurance wouldn't be cheap. And the BMW will be a bigger target for theives. Save your self the greif and get rid of the BMW. After all, its just a car.I don't care what people say about them. They are over priced rubbish. And ugly too
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #79
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew

Enjoy my new cars.

The new Territory will allow me to enjoy the car that is a Territory, and also let some poor bugger put up with my Lemon, and I can have a fault free (I Hope) car.

-Andrew
that actually sounds like a good idea,trade the lemon for a new 6speed and enjoy the fuel economy,try and get deposit back on mazda so you dont lose your money and keep the bmw to pimp around in,or trade the bmer on a second hand 330ci 6 speed manual *drool*

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #80
Paxton
Cobblers!

Falcon Coupe, yes I did put a deposit down, it was $1,000, so I wasn't really worried about that. Bucknaked, I understand that the servicing etc will be expensive, but the BMW's are not exactly easy to steal. They have a reverse cut key, similar to the Magna, where the inside of the key is cut, and it fits into slots in the hole. There is also an alarm standard, and dark as legal tint is being fitted on Friday.

The Servicing is not going to be a worry, because I will register it as a work car (for the ATO), and because I will do a certain amount of miles on it (like the Lexus - It gets its monthly run to Canberra), so I can claim it on Tax, in the same setup as the Lexus.

-Andrew
Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #81
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I'd sell the BMW. Maintenance and repairs on those things are expensive. Insurance wouldn't be cheap. And the BMW will be a bigger target for theives. Save your self the greif and get rid of the BMW. After all, its just a car.I don't care what people say about them. They are over priced rubbish. And ugly too
Ugly is relative to opinion.

Overpriced rubbish? Also relative to opinion....

Biggar target for theives? They're harder to steal, and theives who steal cars professional (selling parts etc), will go for something there is a demand for. A Falcon or Commodore is far easier to steal, and when it comes to the sportier and older ones, there is a far far higher demand for parts. So, Mr Professional Theif will obviously go for the easier to steal car that he can sell the parts of far easier.

If you look at the Top 10 most stolen cars lists, they're rarely flooded with expensive European cars. In fact, the most stolen car in Australia is the Hyundai Excel.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #82
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
. They have a reverse cut key, similar to the Magna, where the inside of the key is cut, and it fits into slots in the hole. There is also an alarm standard, and dark as legal tint is being fitted on Friday.
Don't forget the sensor chip in the keys that is required to be detected by the car for it to start. No chip, no start, simple as that. And its individual to each car too.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #83
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I agree with Steffo....what is the world coming too
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #84
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dilemma - Car on order, but another inherited

The BMW is no doubtly a great car to have, especially when you get it for free. That is not too bad, but the insurance, servicing, petrol, etc will absolutly slim your wallet considerable.

I think you have to look at thinks very carefully and weigh the pro's and con's of having a very imported car like the BMW :
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #85
BJ
Banned

I have just done a stint of work at a BMW workshop. Just what until the auto sh*^Ts its self. $6,500 for a rebuild. Not what i would own. Steffo do you think that when you buy one of theses things that they are the that good. I had one as a company car and i tell you what if you are bigger that five foot tall ((im 6,9) they are a pain in the **** to drive. Me i wouldnt have one.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #86
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Your call, I'll take whichever one of the three cars you don't want. Actaully, that makes me think. I have always wanted to do something really cool like in "pay it forward". For those who haven't seen the movie, basic concept is, someone does something over-the-top nice for you, you do something for someone else. Eg. great aunt gives you a 100k BMW, you realise that although you have just paid 30-40k(I have no idea what a Mazda 6 is worth) for a Mazda 6, perhaps you could look at giving/selling it cheap to a good friend. As much as I would like that person to be me, I'm not asking for that, just thought of it as something really nice that you could do for someone else, to pay the favour onto someone else. Just a thought.
Old 19-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #87
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Your call, I'll take whichever one of the three cars you don't want. Actaully, that makes me think. I have always wanted to do something really cool like in "pay it forward". For those who haven't seen the movie, basic concept is, someone does something over-the-top nice for you, you do something for someone else. Eg. great aunt gives you a 100k BMW, you realise that although you have just paid 30-40k(I have no idea what a Mazda 6 is worth) for a Mazda 6, perhaps you could look at giving/selling it cheap to a good friend. As much as I would like that person to be me, I'm not asking for that, just thought of it as something really nice that you could do for someone else, to pay the favour onto someone else. Just a thought.
nice thought, but there is too much greed in this world unfortunately.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #88
Danny
GT4.

Quote:

Enjoy my new cars.

That is the best option that you have posted Here in all 4 pages. I love the old Bimmer 5's, and while they can be expensive to fix, they are a very reliable car (we've had a couple)

So sell the 6 and the terry and get the premium Terry Ghia, in black with the bodykit hehehe (they look HORN), and have those two premium insane looking cars in the garage. Lol people will think you've become a drug baron.

Good Idea and I reckon thats what you go with as you will get the best of both worlds.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #89
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You will get a fright when you get a Trade in appraisal on the Territory, not that it will really matter neways since you got a BMW for free!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #90
gozza

ya lucky bastard
cancel the madza and put 20 g's of performance and wow into it
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post