Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #31
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
my point was it added unnecessary glare.
I didn't say they were useless i just noted the floors and common misconceptions. If you have light close to your eye....you pupils contract....reducing your long night vision, of course there are numerous stories and accounts about "fog" light being worth their weight in gold, but in general better night driving beam patterns are obtained without turning them on.
my last 2cents is that if you drive on country roads at night the best money you can spend is in a set of good driving lights.
Definately see what you're saying. I always wondered what the effectiveness of your night vision is like when you're making the road in front of you as bright as possible anyway? And thats a genuine question. Would your night vision adapt better on high or low beam? Are you better off to have your night eyes working better or just have vegas bright lights?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #32
Falcon_Power_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
Ahh FFS, buy a bag of carrots. They’ll probably work better.
there was a thing on TV tonight saying that carrots dont do anything for your eyesight :

But i agree with schmidty it helps in country areas with seeing te side of the road im saying this as a passenger too not a driver.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #33
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

: : : : : : : :
Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #34
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

schmidty,
It's a compromise, vegas lights are good...(i have them) if your on roads that aren't trafficed.... if the road is well used the difference between your high beam and low beam is a bit hard to adjust rapidly too. (atleast continiously).
on country ie low traffic volume roads, you want that extra light as you want to see straight down the road and periferaly. This is where to comrpomise comes in, if you have alot of light directly infront of you, your pupils contract reducing your night vision...this means having tight close "spots" of light isn't very useful. However if you have well adjusted beams there won't be that tight spot, allowing your pupils to open more enancing you night vision.
Not as open as they are n low beam. But with low beam you can't see "very much" at any rate as your beam pattern isn't that extensive, so having your "eyes wide open" isn't fantastic either.

This is about where i'll stop, as i can't generalise any more detail, due to there being too many variables, if you'd like to know more, send me a pm and we can talk more about specifics.
Old 13-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #35
XRchic
Hello

Firstly, I feel sorry for the poor bloke who started this thread. So what if the same question has been asked before? Does that mean a new bloke cant come on and ask a question which is new to HIM? Or when he hasnt been on AFF long, does he have to just assume that the question HAS been asked before and do a search for any thread to do with foglights before posting a question? If it was asked by someone who had been around longer and who knew of the "unofficial rules" in this regard, then fine, have a go.

And in any case, being rude to a new bloke (Im assuming he was new because he has a post count of 37 at the time I posted this, joined in Feb this year and I hadnt seen him around before) is not on. If he was asking a question that was a) asked before and b) controversial, why not point him politely in the right direction IN THE FIRST FEW REPLIES by explaining that there has already been discussion on the question and post some links for him to have a look at. Instead of having a go at him. Nothing hard about that. It points him in the right direction, answers his question and prevents another thread turning into a s**tfight.

Hang on, if the previous threads were so controversial, then they may well be locked and deleted, leaving the bloke with no results of any search he might have done!

Its a bit late now.

Secondly and on topic: what I have to say is probably controversial: I like my fog lights. I turn them on because they look good. I am not going to pretend there is any other reason.

I have NEVER been annoyed by anyone else's foglights on any car, day or night and I reckon people who do complain about it are soft. Sorry, Im probably not PC enough for anyone who doesnt like them. I dont think it is worse than a lot of things that a lot of idiots do on the road. I dont think the cops in SA care either, I pass them all the time with them on.

I do a lot of night and day driving, a lot of city and country driving and I dont care and I honestly dont see how they would bother anyone else, aside from just in principle. I do apologise to anyone who actually has genuine eyesight problems who it bothers but really, any headlights would bother them and they wouldnt drive at night...

Cheers

Jac

: Cobra :
Old 13-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #36
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

ON Off ON Off ON Off ON Off.. zzzzzzzzzz
Closed Thread