Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: -1.5c ....Nice morning for trimming the yard

Not related but sort of

Many years ago (back in the late 70’s) we lived in a cul-de-sac that was 2 streets from a main road with no on street parking, for many years people that lived on the main road used to park their caravans boats and box trailers on our road, and it didn’t hurt anyone as most of the blocks didn’t have houses on them at that point, but as time went one the street filled and these trailers were becoming a problem, 1 in particular was a caged box trailer that was on our nature strip chained to the tree. My dad tried talking to this guy but he would simply come back under the cover of darkness and return the trailer, so one time after the trailer left, dad parked his car on the nature strip, the trailer came back, on the road but still on chained to the tree. So dad figured, well we have the negatives of having a trailer and none of the positives, so one weekend dad decided to have a bit of a clean-up around the house, and he filled the trailer to the brim (he actually had to get some stuff off either neighbour as he didn’t have enough to fill it). The guy didn’t come back for his trailer for a while, so long dad thought the guy must have seen it and given up on it and was making arrangements to cut the lock and take it and the rubbish to the tip and just un hook it and drive off, when one Saturday morning at 6 am the guy arrives and hits the roof.

Well dad was a big unit like me and the sight of him storming out the door in his Y fronts wasn’t pretty. Dad just stood there arms crossed on the lawn, the guy stopped yelling abuse from the street, connected his car to the trailer and drove off, and we never saw it again.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Any word from your neighbors the next day au mont?
nah, i shouldve stuck to the original plan of 6:30am
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #33
Cam
Stroking it...

They were probably passed out and didn't hear a thing..

I would've got dressed up and knocked on their door telling them about your favorite religion.. Just to make sure they were awake first...
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #34
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I like your style!

I'm usually on the receiving end of gardening noise, my neighbor to one side is a compulsive hoarder, everything and anything is in the back yard but we aren't going to start a fight over it, but its certainly a sight to be seen. He actually made a engine hoist out of timber that was lashed together with twine. The main problem is he comes home from night shift and moves sheets of corrugated around, shovels rocks etc etc right out side my window which goes to his driveway usually its around 4.30am. Lucky he seems to have changed shifts and this happens at normal times now.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop
I like your style!

I'm usually on the receiving end of gardening noise, my neighbor to one side is a compulsive hoarder, everything and anything is in the back yard but we aren't going to start a fight over it, but its certainly a sight to be seen. He actually made a engine hoist out of timber that was lashed together with twine. The main problem is he comes home from night shift and moves sheets of corrugated around, shovels rocks etc etc right out side my window which goes to his driveway usually its around 4.30am. Lucky he seems to have changed shifts and this happens at normal times now.
OMG how did u live bloke?

I would have gone beserk hearing that night in night out.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #36
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I am a heavy sleeper so that helps, but I don't want to start a fight that's not going to end well. I have a dog, and the last thing I want is stuff being thrown over the fence for her to eat.

Ill have to get a picture of the structure in his back yard, its what can only be described as a giraffe enclosure. Built of scrap corrie, timber, lashed together and tin foil lined with a air con. Its 2 stories high, has high mounted windows and its all sorts of weird.

He has never once complained about any noise from my house, we have parties a few times a year and loud cars, so now the midnight gardening has stopped I let it slide. lol
Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #37
IDT
Marko

Has anyone mentioned petrol powered blower?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #38
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
just to add to my original post, these are the neighbours on the other side. I talked to the bloke a couple times, he seemed ok, then he went quite, then he put up steel posts on the gutter between the fence line to prevent us from taking our driveway wide as its a steep gutter with it being a little washed out

you can imagine how awkward it was entering our house, it took 3 months for the the council to make him take it down, and i managed to keep it together in that time. I dont like confrontation becuase i have a very short fuse with certain people
So you drove over the grass he maintaines and wonder why he is offside ?

mah
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77

mah
your joking right?

theres a difference between cutting across the very top corner of someones yard, as opposed to doing figures 8's with arm out the window flapping the bird.

if you think keeping every single square inch of lawn in upmost pristine condition and being a ***** to enforce it, is more important than blending into society then good luck to you.

tbh, i dont the lawn was the issue, he only did that to be shti stirrer, since he never mentioned any problems to me previously. People like that need a kick in the head, not to be applauded

Last edited by AU Mont; 07-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77

mah

He is entering his own driveway and the kerp looks steep (not a proper angled concrete driveway entrance by the looks of it).. cant see an issue with that.
If he was say using his neighbours driveway to jump the gutter and drive onto footpath etc, spinning wheels in the dirt, then i would take issue.

My housos next door were constantly using my driveway (their driveway is 25m away) to drive up onto the footpath to park. Spinning tyres in the dirt each and everytime. Planted two large shrubs (asked council) and drove star pickets to prop them up. Council said as long as the plants dont block the footpath completely its fine with them. Postie has room to ride between them.

Also add the guy across the road planted two star pickets on footpath as the unit dewellers next door to him would also use his driveway and drive 20m along his footpath to park!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #41
AU Mont
Banned

like jim goose said, being an inconsiderate ***** is driving all over the yard. And yes the gutter hasnt been shaped for the driveway, probably the only house in the street too........ and makes it worse the driveway slopes straight down on the other side of the gutter where even my 4wd height fairmont clips the suspension/exhaust on it if you dont take it on an angle

the techno lovers on the other side of me (as per original topic), they cut across the top corner of our yard every day and it doesnt bother me at all. I would feel like a complete idiot if i went and put some posts up to shoo them away lol !!!

atec77, heres another pic of the rubbish he put up, you cant say it looks legit?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the neighbour is just trying to get a nice looking front lawn - the rest of it looks nice & green (and reasonably well cut).
Personally, I'd never make a habit of driving over/across my neighbour's verge. If you've got access issues - then get the council to install a proper approach/apron to your driveway.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
AU Mont
Banned

to me its funny how the couple have both been dole bludgers for years & experts at making kids, dont having a running car or basic household appliances, but will build a fort around the precious lawn
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #44
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Maybe the neighbour is just trying to get a nice looking front lawn - the rest of it looks nice & green (and reasonably well cut).
Personally, I'd never make a habit of driving over/across my neighbour's verge. If you've got access issues - then get the council to install a proper approach/apron to your driveway.

YOu'll find that its against council bylaws to block off a footpath, and those posts and cable would be "illegal".

If the suburb was built by developers (and im guessing it was, because a LOT of suburbs here in Townsville which were built by developers were allowed to build those angled kerbing and not put in proper driveway apron because its cheaper!) the OP has fat chance of council coming to the party. Sadly councils these days let developers do what they please.

However if you forked out the money yourself.. Im sure council would say.. yea sure! oh and dont forget to pay for your permit!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Whats the point of having a nice, well maintained lawn if you have those ugly looking posts on it. He clearly did that just because he didn't want to share the corner of his grass.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #46
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What is to the left of the photo AU Mont?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #47
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

My old man can be a bit funny with the yard work actually, now I read this thread. His favorite thing to do is sweep. Now, I'm sure it's a necessary thing and all that but he takes it to extremes. I'll set the scene: it's 12.00am, Monday night, I'm in bed about to switch my light off before sleeping so I can be fresh for a 14hour shift at work.
Next thing you hear is the Avalon fire up and drive out the driveway and park on the street.....silence......then sweeping. Heavy, rigorous sweeping. If you listen really carefully you can hear muttering: "birds....mess....kids should do this....bloody....************ bark.....cleanliness....hygiene....." whilst he works.
It's as if he is sitting in the lounge room, watching Telly when someone bashes him on the head and screams "SWEEP THE DRIVEWAY!". He reckons its the "only time he gets to do it" which is rubbish, because he yard works all day Sunday and it takes 5 minutes to sweep our driveway. He is just a nutty old man, who likes to irritate his two sons right before sleep time. If he wants me to do it he should ask me during the week, not on weekends which is my time, and I'll happily do that and other yard stuff on my week day spare time. But no, midnight is a much more convenient time to sweep in your underwear
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #48
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
He is entering his own driveway and the kerp looks steep (not a proper angled concrete driveway entrance by the looks of it).. cant see an issue with that.
If he was say using his neighbours driveway to jump the gutter and drive onto footpath etc, spinning wheels in the dirt, then i would take issue.

My housos next door were constantly using my driveway (their driveway is 25m away) to drive up onto the footpath to park. Spinning tyres in the dirt each and everytime. Planted two large shrubs (asked council) and drove star pickets to prop them up. Council said as long as the plants dont block the footpath completely its fine with them. Postie has room to ride between them.

Also add the guy across the road planted two star pickets on footpath as the unit dewellers next door to him would also use his driveway and drive 20m along his footpath to park!
Obviously you blokes don't understand sarcasim , in his mind your making his lawn look bad , I delt with a similar situation ages ago and chatted the neighbour eventually getting the council involved so can see both sides . Personally I feel the gutter is an excuse to be lazy and not make a suitable ramp or enter from the other direction although erecting the pole fence seems pointless
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #49
AU Mont
Banned

its a rental, whinging to the landlord resulted in a wheelbarrow full of gravel that was supposed to fix the driveway. Not to worry, moving this weekend, happy as larry