Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #31
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Understandable.

Petrol prices are biting, and while the Falcon gets good economy for it's size, "small cars" aren't "small" anymore. While we were getting a towbar fitted to our G6E, they loaned us a Mondeo diesel automatic. You know, to be brutally honest, it was great...plenty of interior room, it went like a cut snake, and actually handled really well. A friend of mine has a Mondeo XR5 turbo and it has plenty of luxury stuff and toys to play with.
You know, if we had driven a Mondeo first, we might well have bought one instead of the Falcon.
Mondeo only has a tow capacity of 1300kg. My parents looked at getting a toe bar on my dads work TDCi mondeo but ended up having to get it put onto the XR6.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #32
stang65
FPRJET

Wait till the new models come out then we will see. The public know new models are on the way. So it is to be expected tat sales will drop. Also you can`t go on about one ford without the public getting a litttle nervous. Every company has it`s ups and downs.

But last but not least Ford is not Holdenas has been said, they have been able to sell less and still make a profit, that should show that they know what they are doing. ALSO HAVE NOTICED on Seek.com.au that they are hiring people for head office.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'm going to plant an I.E.D. in Drive's lunch room.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #34
Elguapo
SY AWD Ghia

Ford Australia are only concerned about one thing....profits. IF they can boost profits by ceasing production and selling only imports then that's what they'll do. I for one have been really disappointed in my locally built Territory and have been put off buying another locally made car, be that Ford or Holden. If Telstra can terminate a contract with a supplier that results in 700 job losses and no one bats an eye lid you can be sure Ford will have no hesitation to do the same.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #35
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Don't know if that was sarcasm or not. I am almost certain that the days of large handouts are gone. If Territory does not sell, it will be the beginning of the end........
Yes it was.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #36
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
This is beginning to have a Mitsubishi 380 feel about it. Wish the press would actually write something positive for a change.
Unfortunately it does have that ring to it. Next on the list (from memory) is the summonising of Senior FoA personnel to Headquarters for "urgent talks"...........
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #37
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry the carbon tax will be the final nail in the coffin for all Aussie manufacturing.

At least we should all be able to get real cheap Falcons and commodores before the lights get turned off. If you reckon petrol's costly wait for the carbon tax and cant catch trains cause they run on electricity ooooo dirty dirty Julia (sorry a bit of a rant that)

Ford need to come out with pushies cause thats all well be able to afford to use

Ford dont seem to be able to get anything right, the cars are fantastic best in class but no one buys them why?????

New Terri, no AWD petrol why not??
FG; Curtain airbags on option why?? the media cans them for it

Been trying to buy a CL Fiesta Auto pwr shift sedan 2010, no curtain bags is option, hardly any imported why??
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Wait till the new models come out then we will see. The public know new models are on the way. So it is to be expected tat sales will drop. Also you can`t go on about one ford without the public getting a litttle nervous. Every company has it`s ups and downs.

But last but not least Ford is not Holdenas has been said, they have been able to sell less and still make a profit, that should show that they know what they are doing. ALSO HAVE NOTICED on Seek.com.au that they are hiring people for head office.
Have another read mate, unless Ford have snatched a heap of market share from other manufacturers to keep their total sales steady, the buyers arent waiting for the updates, if they were then the over all sales would have declined in anticipation which hasnt happened.
People are still buying new Fords, just not the larger varieties.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Economy bounces back and Falcon's sales still fall off a cliff?

Its pretty obvious then what game Holden are playing - last man standing. With the almost inevitable demise of the Falcon, the Commodore may finally return to decent profits.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Economy bounces back and Falcon's sales still fall off a cliff?

Its pretty obvious then what game Holden are playing - last man standing. With the almost inevitable demise of the Falcon, the Commodore may finally return to decent profits.
But aren't there greater implications for Commodore if Falcon dies, with suppliers etc?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #41
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
But aren't there greater implications for Commodore if Falcon dies, with suppliers etc?
Yep. Ford and Holden, despite being competitors are partners in the Australian automotive industry. If a car maker the size of FoA falls, it is going to mean a whole world of pain for Holden and the suppliers that provide parts for both of them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Maybe not exports directly, but being shared off a common platform would save alot of cost. The answer lies in a GWRD IMO, whether it happens or not is the key.
Agreed, the shared cost associated will be helpful to profitability. Unfortunately Ford have to weather the storm as they roll out the their line up.

Terri will be the first test and LPG will be the next.

Also I love how they are trying to model Ford's production on Holden numbers. Gotta love 'quality' journalism.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Its only for a couple of weeks people..
Down days announced through April also....

Lets see what happens in May and June
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #44
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Agreed, I'm about 18 months away from getting one.

Ed
I might be a bit after that. Finish uni at the end of the year, so it depends on how much i'm making and whether it looks like i'll be staying whereever i'm working for a while (whether i'll be looking at houses).

At the moment i'm edging towards either an XR6T or GS ute because I figure they'll become endangered species well before sports sedans (falcon or otherwise) also become endangered species.

Take away the Falcon and I don't see the commodore lasting much longer (end of the life of whatever platform its on). And anything comparable from overseas thats in the same size range is much more expensive.

Last edited by SteveJH; 08-03-2011 at 08:14 PM.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #45
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yep. Ford and Holden, despite being competitors are partners in the Australian automotive industry. If a car maker the size of FoA falls, it is going to mean a whole world of pain for Holden and the suppliers that provide parts for both of them.
In the short term, yes. But Holden will likely start dipping into the GM parts bin rather than going bespoke componentry, much as Ford often did.

Ultimately, picking up that much market share will probably help Holden more than the problems with part suppliers will hinder them.

That said, without Ford to push them along, its unlikely Holden will push as hard to improve the car. Less choice always has a downside beyond the obvious.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #46
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its no good sitting back and talking about it how bout we all get out and buy one?? i look at Ford and Holden in Australia as a bit of a mate really how many times has a falcon or commodore been there in a time of need and helped out by getting you there. Now it's time to return the favour and it sounds more like we are treating it like a family member with cancer and just sitting there watching them die, when we can all help by going out and buying a brand new one and not going for the imported car because its cheaper and bla bla bla
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think the Territory selling its pants off when the new model comes out is a given.

But whats frustrating is that I feel Falcon is so bloody close in hitting the sweet spot in the market again. Get rid of that 90s derived styling with some facsia updates and whack the V6 diesel in it.

This is the same company which underestimated Mondeo diesel demand, and buyers have to wait for months for diesel stock yet they dont want to put it in the Falcon...??? ARRGGH so close yet so far.

Look at Mondeo sales now which has a diesel engine, there is a big market there just waiting to be tapped. I know country people would go nuts for a diesel Falcon, and all the trendy latte set think diesel is 'so euro', fleets love diesel - some fleets are diesel only e.g. Woolworths. Having it there would improve diesel economy of production scale for Territory too. Its a no-brainer.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Having it there would improve diesel economy of production scale for Territory too. Its a no-brainer.
So you can guarantee that putting a V6 diesel in the Falcon would be a cheap project?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #49
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So you can guarantee that putting a V6 diesel in the Falcon would be a cheap project?

Why not, its done for the Territory.

It will do a lot better than the Ecoboost for sure.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Why not, its done for the Territory.

It will do a lot better than the Ecoboost for sure.

So you can't. The last V6 project they undertook for the Falcon was quite expensive and didn't go well (and put them in the situation they are now).

I would have no problem with a diesel variant in the Falcon series. As there it could pull an extra 3-400 sales a month but it would need to be a cheap project for it to even be considered.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So you can't. The last V6 project they undertook for the Falcon was quite expensive and didn't go well (and put them in the situation they are now).

I would have no problem with a diesel variant in the Falcon series. As there it could pull an extra 3-400 sales a month but it would need to be a cheap project for it to even be considered.
The engineering work has been done for the Territory, which shares major components with the Falcon. The engines will be delivered to the same Australian docks taken to the assembly line within inches of Falcons. Totally different kettle of fish than the global V6.

The diesel will also be a lot cheaper and more worthwhile to implement than Burela's EgoStroke...sorry EcoBoost engine.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The problem is not Ford going back to 3 day weeks to balance out the inventory,
it's assuming that if they do nothing else, then Falcon's sales will just come back.

I think that's a very dangerous assumption and my big fear is that the best
ever Territory may come at one a hell of a price, FG II being dead on arrival.

My prediction is that the 3-day week will extend into April and force Ford to make a decision...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #53
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
its no good sitting back and talking about it how bout we all get out and buy one??
you first.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #54
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this might sound crazy but what if Ford priced their spare parts more reasonably? theres some parts, like trim pieces that are highway robbery. like the plastic bit on the back of the front seats $250!!!! the rectangle plastic piece between the icc and top console $75

it would be a win-win-win people get cheaper parts, ford sells more parts, more demand on suppliers for parts plus cars would look heaps better

btw i did buy a new terri last year
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #55
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
this might sound crazy but what if Ford priced their spare parts more reasonably? theres some parts, like trim pieces that are highway robbery. like the plastic bit on the back of the front seats $250!!!! the rectangle plastic piece between the icc and top console $75

it would be a win-win-win people get cheaper parts, ford sells more parts, more demand on suppliers for parts plus cars would look heaps better

btw i did buy a new terri last year
Or they could just build cars properly that don't need new parts all the time?
Ford have burned a lot of people over the years by letting con artists run their dealerships and letting dodgy cars leave the factory. The pillocks in head office still think it's 1986 and Ford is everyone's default choice.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #56
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or they could just build cars properly that don't need new parts all the time?
Ford have burned a lot of people over the years by letting con artists run their dealerships and letting dodgy cars leave the factory. The pillocks in head office still think it's 1986 and Ford is everyone's default choice.
but interior trim always get bumped and scratched especially in the cargo area it would be good to replace if it wasn't so expensive.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #57
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna
but interior trim always get bumped and scratched especially in the cargo area it would be good to replace if it wasn't so expensive.
Yes but let's face facts, the cost of spare parts is not the reason people aren't buying Falcon. If I recall correctly Falcon is already one of, if not the cheapest cars to own in terms of spare parts and servicing.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #58
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The engineering work has been done for the Territory, which shares major components with the Falcon. The engines will be delivered to the same Australian docks taken to the assembly line within inches of Falcons. Totally different kettle of fish than the global V6.

The diesel will also be a lot cheaper and more worthwhile to implement than Burela's EgoStroke...sorry EcoBoost engine.
Different crash safety parameters due to the completely different bodyshell and engine configuration means it would have to be crash tested and pass relevant ADR's just for that, emissions testing would need to be done again because of the weight difference and gearing between the cars, then of course is the question as to whether it would physically fit, the Duratec was too tall for the Falcons engine bay and required a hump on the bonnet, you seem to think that alternative powertrain development is as simple as dropping an engine in and driving it away, this isnt the 1970's anymore and if Ford doesnt do it properly their product becomes a liability

Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #59
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

A bad thing happened....Ford are no longer competitive enough with their pricing as after an 8 year run of Falcons as company cars, G6's and Futura's mainly, our company has gone for a bog standard Aurion ATX.
Why? Of course the Falcon is a better car in almost every respect but at 27K each, the ATX won. I blame Ford for making me drive a Toyota.
If anyone knows how to get Ford to beat this price as well as the service costs, they will get their business back and I won't be looking for another job
BTW, I am not that one eyed but this Aurion wont tow my boat, hasn't got split rear seats and lacks boot room so is virtually useless outside my work environment.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #60
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but let's face facts, the cost of spare parts is not the reason people aren't buying Falcon. If I recall correctly Falcon is already one of, if not the cheapest cars to own in terms of spare parts and servicing.
but it would help Ford with money from another revenue stream, and the parts suppliers. if ford arn't making cars wouldn't it be better to keep the flow of parts happening?