Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looked at BA XT/ Futura maybe but was convinced Mrs wouldn't spend extra, took Mrs out to local dealers one day after spending hours on inet checking prices etc. I was explaining the differences between AU and BA cos I didn't want AU. She walked around and said whats this? I said (drooling) XR6,but it's the same price as Fairmont too dear. She took a couple of looks and said and I quote "F*ck it lets get one of these". God I love my wife. : :
Bought XR6
Can't believe I still made sure she drove both and pointed out the lack of luxocrap on XR6 compared to Fairmont just to make sure she was happy.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #32
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Looked at: NC Fairlane '94, VR Berlina '94 and a EB II Gli '93

Bought: EL Falcon GLi - wish i had of bought the fairlane.

Now Looking at: Gas Fairlanes and Magna Sports/VRX

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #33
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Looked at

Mazda MX5
Rover MG
Porsche Boxster and Boxster S
BMW Z4

Bought - Porsche Boxster S

Was never any contest really, but found to our surprise the MG was ahead of the MX5 in the fun stakes, if not the overall package. The exhaust note is fantastic even if your only doing 40kph. MX5 brand new was an excellent price in my opinion around $46k on road. Z4 just couldnt perform like the Boxster S. Boxster S just........well....blew away all the competition. I cannot fault it.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #34
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Any pics? Nice choice!... guessing you have no need for 4 seats though? (no family yet?)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #35
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
21,000 it was traded in for, the best the place with the supra could get through other dealers was $16,000.
$21, 000 for the clio alone?! and.... damn that cheap... i would have given $21300 for it (price i paid for a bloody fiesta....still fun, cheap insurance).
How many Ks did it have?!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #36
AdzT3-146
own the road

Bought: EF II Falcon
Looked At: VS Commodore, VR Commodore, ED Falcon, VN Calais

Looking back glad i made the choice to buy the EF.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #37
devil cv8

Lets see:

Looked at Hyper yellow VX series 2 SS...
Purchased same

Spotted DevilCV8 at dealer, purchased same

Looked at VY SS, purchased same..

Hmmmmmm, could be a 1 eyed holden supporter.....

To be fair, I did test drive a BA XR8 but they offered a lousy trade on the VY, and now I drive a damned LPG only BA MK11 wagon for work.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #38
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CAR:
Looked at: AU111 XR6
Purchased: BA1 XR6 (price difference in 2003 was minimal)

BIKE
Looked at: Kawasaki ZX6R, Yamaha R6 and Honda CBR600F4i
Purchased: '02 Honda CBR600F4i Rossi Replica.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #39
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we were looking at getting the AU we looked at:
New AU series 1 S pack- dad didn't like the look of them so we didn't end up getting one.
Used AU1 fairmont- regency red with ticky 17's and a spoiler, it was on gas so we didn't get it. The tank took up too much boot space.
Bought: Brand new runout 9/00 AUII Forte sedan, regency with spoiler, mags and tint.

The XR6T is dads company car,when he was picking it out we looked at VY SS's, he drove his boss's and said it didn't feel that powerful, the interior was cheap and they weren't as refined as the BA, also they don't look as good. Also looked at XR6 non turbo optioned up, nice car but too slow, and an XR8 was out of the question because it was too over budget.
Bought: XR6T without a test drive, he had driven a BA XT hire car and was impressed by that so XR6T it was. Its a 10/03 build, completely standard. Its not bad but its got a few problems we wish it didn't have. Nice looking car though

Last edited by GlennBA; 07-05-2005 at 06:29 PM.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 06:35 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

1st car: XG S pack Ute 4.0l Auto
Wanted: Holden Calibra V6 Manual

2nd car.
Bought: EF Falcon Futura 5 speed manual
Wanted/looked at: EF XR6 Manual with bodykit (Big mistake buying the futura)

3rd and current car.
Bought: WP Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.6l Manual.
Wanted/looked at:
98 - 01' Nissan Pulsar SSS (Most were too old and kays were too high)
02' Proton Satria GTi (All ones I Looked at were thrashed to within inches of their lives)
98' Honda Civic VTiR (Too bloody expensive still for the kays that were on them)
99' Peugot 406 Gti (Too many Kays)
Barina (considered for a short sec....)
91 -97 3 series BMW 318i (Too much of a clitoris car these days. Every C*nt has one)

Well i think thats about it. I'm pretty happy with the fiesta, just wish it had a bodykit! (Oh no, here we go again!)

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #41
EFFalcon
Last warning

shoulda got a Fiesta XR4 :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #42
ssj_jaypee
EF POWER IS HERE!

Considered: VS Commodore V6
Bought: EA Falcon

Considered: EB GT Conversion for EA
Bought: EF Falcon w/ manual tranny

I'm happy!

Mods currently done:
Pacemaker extractors, true dual 2.5" exhaust to a single 3" tip
CSA 16" 5 spoke mags, spoiler, stoneflector side skirts
K&N panel filter
Tickford AU snorkel
ssj_jaypee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #43
SWOOP
XRSVO

looked at 2000 mdl 200sx (i still want one bad!), 00wrx and series 3 xr8 (all stock) and got my XR series II with all its mods for alot less Im rapt

also was looking at ba XR6's for my old man till I found a herrod modded manual XR8 for 2 g more!!!!! best deal ever!!!!
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #44
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Any pics? Nice choice!... guessing you have no need for 4 seats though? (no family yet?)
Some pics here mate

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=2908

Nope no kidlets so only 2 seats required
Old 07-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BOUGHT: 1989 Telstar TX5 Ghia 2.2l EFI

LOOKED AT: VL Commodore, TX3 Turbo, TX3 N/A.

LOOKING AT FOR NEXT: Honda Integra Type R, N15 Pulsar SSS, 300ZX N/A, Holden Calais, R33 Skyline N/A. Most probably will go for Integra but keeping options open.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Boxters are pretty gun. Seen a boxter today with a spoiler. I tell you what it made all the difference, looked sooo good. Probably get a porsche when im older as ive always loved the marque. Its good to have the bloody money though lol like my boss's mate who has a 911 GT3 and someone else i know has a 911 Turbo both almost brand spanking new.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Had - AU II XR6 VCT

Wanted - BA XR6 NA

Looked at - VZ SV6, BA XR6 NA, Territory TS.

Went for the XR6 with the optional 18s & premium sound. Added the FPV wheel later on and very happy with the car lookswise and performance. Alot of people seem to underate the NAs performance ability but its certainly alot quicker then the old VCT was and much nicer to drive to. The only thing I miss about the AU was that exhuast note, very nice indeed.

Reasons why the VZ didnt win was because it was a Holden lol, but I seriously did consider it at the time. Next time it will be either a FPV sedan or hopefully an FPV Territory as I think the Territory is a great car, just a bit slow.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #48
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
The only thing I miss about the AU was that exhuast note, very nice indeed.
A trip to Mr Herrod will fix that
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #49
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Was utterly sick of my EA and missing having a cool car...

Looked at Camaro's & Trans Ams (couldn't find one good enough), a cheap Caddillac (shoulda bought it - mint, running a 350 chev, one of the 80's boxy 4 doors, on LPG), XA/XB's (too crap or too expensive), a coupla Brock Commodores (waaay too expensive for what you were getting)...

Saw the ZH sitting in the back of a classic car dealership, saw the electric seats and bought it!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #50
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Purchased car: AU3 XR6 VCT
Considered: AU 3 Futura
AU 3 Havoc LPG (Ithink its a futura with the rebel bodykit)
AU 2 XR8
SS Commodore Wagon
2001 WRX

The end decision was really made by the mrs. When she saw the colour the leather, sunroof and it was an Auto, nothing else was going to go home with us. Not even the 02 XR8 which I lobied hard for.

Purchased : 04 Ford Focus SR
Considered : New Corolla
New Fiesta
2nd hand Fiesta with options
AU2 Wagon on LPG
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:32 PM   #51
JAK

Had: XR8 Rebel, Monsoon blue.
Considered/wanted: Typhoon.
Bought: GT mkll, 6 spd.

Reason: looks better, goes better and sounds better.
Plus the wife wanted it!!

Cheers, JAK.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #52
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Man
Wanted - R31 Skyline, Bought - R31 Skyline.

Selling the skyline tho, i went through so many different cars i wanted, holdens, ford, nissans, toyotas....ended up:

Wanting - EB/ED V8 Fairmont

Unfortunately E series V8's are still sooo damn expensive (for me anyways), this shady guy at car city was trying to talk me into an ED with 280,000 km's on it for $8k, and started to get really ****ed off when i told him there was no way i was signing anything that day. out:

Bought - ED Fairmont 6

Came up at the best price, on gas, in great condition, in the best colour e series (cobalt blue : ), just couldn't refuse. Methinks i'll stick with Ford from now on :
Ah yes cobalt blue the ultimate E series colour. My friend has an EF tickford xr6 wagon that colour and I even like it more than galaxy blue that my first AU (RIP) was and current Tickxr6 AU is

For me

Sep 98 - looked at what holden had to offer and even european mid-large sized cars
Was interested in a Probe at one stage but the engine type put me off
Invested some good money in a tricked up S1 I6 forte which I then tricked up a bit more

Aug 2004 - nil, wanted to upgrade to a S1 or S3 Tickford XR6 or 8.
The cars at dealerships were disgusting with lots more Km's than I wanted my car to be at
Found an ad for an S1 in the local rag, investigated the car, test drove it and did RAA check, a couple of things repaired and bought it. Since then I've done extreme detailing of the interior & exterior to lift it to beyond the standard of the first one.

Lowered his asking price by a few thousand as well

Last edited by SVR73; 08-05-2005 at 05:45 AM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #53
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Well I reckon I'm gunna get hammered here.

I was not actually looking for a new car when we bought ours.
I knew the time was comming in the next 6-12 months though.
We had a 93 Pulsar LX hatch that was showing serious signs it was time.
Anyway I had heard all the hype about the new Magna's with the warranty that sounded pretty good so we went off to Zupps at aspley to check them out, I swear we were purely window shopping.
We walked around and found in the new section 8 Magna AWD all of them in white and auto. But they were the ONLY magna's we could find on the lot, and all identical. We walked into the showroom, got ignored, we started looking at other things for about 15-20 minutes and still got ignored. During this time we looked at an Outlander. When the sales man finally came over to 'help' us we asked about the magna's and like we already knew he pointed us to one of the 8 identical ones and said "they are the only ones we have and we don't have any brochures due to handing them all out at the motor show, You can download the options and spec from the internet."
We asked about the outlander and the only thing he told us was the price.
For an expensive dealer with a reputation I was not impressed so we left as I am sure any one of you would.
We both liked the outlander and this was a suprise as neither of us had ever really considered a cross over vehicle. I said well if we are seriously gunna look at an outlander we should go and check out the territory since all the rave reviews it was getting. So off we went to Byrne Ford at Chermside.
We found a white XLT escape in the corner and started looking at that, within 2 minutes a salesman had come to us and offered assistance, We told him what we were looking for the Territory and he was about to walk us to them and I pulled him up asking about price first, as it turns out about $10,000 more than we could afford brand new. So he suggested the escape we were looking at and the mrs did not want white. He took us over the road to look at another escape that had not yet been detailed or serviced it was just traded the previous day. We took it for a test drive and fell in love with it. Funniest thing is is that it is everything I said I never wanted. Its Red (always said I would never have a red car due to the fading pigmentation of red) Never wanted a 4WD, did not want colum shift auto ever, did not want electric windows again. It has all that and mate I love my 2001 Ford XLS Escape
Old 08-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #54
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was dead set on an AU2 Fairmont Ghia VCT in metiorite and looked for two months and couldnt find one that was in decent form.

Saw an AU2 XR6 VCT advertised at a really reasonable price , went and had a look , the guy was desperate to sell and the rest is history!

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #55
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Had a Magna 94 2 litre and bought an AUII Monsoon Blue (36,000 kms) auto.

I was just looking to get rid of the Magna. Looked at new Magnas (like Yaw did) Holdens (coms, Vects, Astras) and Mazdas (to much $$$). Had the wife with me each time. When we found the AUII she said 'thats the only car you look comfortable in'. It had low kms, extended warranty and I got an OK change over on my trade. Been happy with it ever since. She was right to, I do feel comfortable driving it, sitting in it and flipping radio channels via the steering column each day.

Uncle_ken
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #56
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we bought the focus two years ago we loof at every small to mid size car there was it took weeks but the one that i wanted was a golf but after driving a focus and hearing the price we got that .
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #57
shoonic

Considered: BA XR6, Leather, Prem sound, Auto, 15,000kms.

Bought: AUIII XR8, Prem sound, Prem brakes, Momo pack, 5 speed man, 38,000kms.

Very happy with my decision to purchase my first REAL V8 and a fine little windsor it is! Both cars had the same sticker price but I couldn't go past the sound, looks and manual of the XR8.
shoonic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #58
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considered: 1993+ manual 180sx sr20det (quoted 3.5k insurance first year)

Reconsidered : Manual VR/VS or EF/EL

Bought: 96 EF2 XR6 manual

Quite happy with the XR espicially for a first car, it had all the bits i wanted and low km's etc, funny as i was thinking i wanted a manual futura but never really thought about getting an XR6 for some reason : until one day it clicked and i decided it must now be an EF/EL XR6 lol.

I would really really love something like 200sx, skyline, XR6T. Some friends have these cars and they sound awesome (im addicted to the noise and rush of a turbo spooling up) and so smooth to drive, i want one damn you insurance :nutsycuck
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2005, 12:31 AM   #59
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

When I bought my EB ($8k in 2002) I was considering the following cars (with a budget of $10k, with the possibility of stretching it out at the time):

* Cheap camaro (early-mid 80s 305)
* XB GT (there were a couple for $12k at the time)
* EF-EL GLi
* EB XR8 (there was a white manual one for sale near where I bought my EB, but it wasn't in the best nick)
* XE ESP
* ED XR6
* VW Beetle (yes) for cheap, then $$$ to work its t1ts off
* 240Z
* 70s Celica
* Starion
* AE86 Corolla hatch (Seca?)
* EA S-pack wagon 5 speed

I ended up choosing my car over these due to what summed up as a good balance of things that I wanted out of a car. I had some issues with it in the first six months, and then financial problems another 6 months after then, but things have been fine since then.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #60
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
* 240Z
-Dave-
You can rip the the old Zeds to shit as engine bays are HUGE. Even seen a street one kicking a bikes *** (YES you heard correctly a bike). Had a 350 Chevy TT in it. Not sure if it was a 240Z or 260Z. Looked the goods aswell.