Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #31
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just last week I was walking home from the bus stop - lady on the side of the road *trying* (not very well) to change her tyre. I got in and changed it for her - let her use my mobile phone to ring her hubby who was on the way out to help her (cant believe she wasnt in RACQ).
She tried to pay me $20 too!

I dont pick up hitch hikers, however Im very glad someone did that for me one day or I was screwed.

Had the XA on a club run up to some Dam at the gold coast hinterland. It had been playing up a bit - id replaced the points and plugs and leads and thought it was all fine.
Got up there ok - still had a miss somewhere.

On the way home I made sure I was at the back of the pack - and it sh!t itself totally. Undriveable. (and to this day no-one in the club knew I'd broken down)

Im on the side of this middle of nowhere remote road - not many cars coming by - no mobile phone coverage either to ring anyone. I locked the car up and started walking.

This very friendly local knew the strife I was in - picked me up - drove me to where there was mobile coverage - I rang RACQ and he dropped me back to the car. Awesome job.

And if that wasnt enough, he came back about an hour later (man RACQ took like 2 hours to get to me) - with some cold drinks and a chat to keep me company!!!!!!

Edit - oh yeh the problem wih the car was the capacitor on the side of the Dissy. Mallory twin point. Car got too hot after driving up there - by the time I was coming home it had totally shat. Thats like 2 or 3 capacitors I've gone through now too. Weird?
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #32
rebelpilot

Default A Good Deed

Its all about KARMA py: > Do a good deed and one will come back to you. :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #33
NZ
~~~

I've been helped a couple of times. Once my fuel pump was dicky and I was actually driving to get a newie. The bugger needed a few hard wacks to make it run otherwise it wouldnt go. So I was pretty annoyed when I stalled the car at a set of lights and the fuel pump stopped pumping. I was in the middle lane and all I could do was put the hazards on. After 10 mins some guy offered to help me push it to the side of the road. Then I walked the rest of the way to buy the pump and changed it on the side of the road where I had stopped.

One night I was dead tired drving home kept dozing off so I thought the safe thing to do would be to stop for a nap for half an hour. I left the car running but forgot to turn on mycooling fans. The car overheated and boiled dry basically. When I woke up the car had stopped running. There was no water around anywhere so I started walking at 3am in the morning. A couple of cars passed then a guy in a VK stopped. it was 30km to walk home and i had walked 3km of them already so I was very grateful. It turned out he was a tanker driver and picked up the milk from my place too.

I've only ever picked up a hitchiker once. That was because it was a mate school. Drivin along pass this guy 'oh its andrew' reverse back and get him
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #34
GraveDilute

One memorable occassion in Adelaide, it was ****ing down and as I come down Montague Rd, there is a little Ford Laser upside down on the wrong side of the road. Stop about 20m in front of car, put on the hazards and then check to find the driver stumbling around dazed and confused.
Turn the ignition off to the car which is stinking of fuel, sit the guy down in my car, give him some water and wait for the cops and ambos. Parents of the guy (P plater) arrive on the scene and start abusing me, thinking I must have shunted him or something (never heard of aquaplaning I suspect) and it's only until the guy is coherent enough that they realise that I was the saviour and then the mum hugged me (unfortunately, NOT a milf)
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #35
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once i had to help a guy jump start his car in the local supermarket car park... and I pulled over the help a semi driver catch a sheep that had jumped out of the truck.. is that counted?

I had an incident when i just had my licence for 3 months. The ute's ignition had been playin up and it died on a set of double train tracks... no-one stopped to help me push the ute off and just as i cleared the ute from the tracks a train came through!!
I had 3 guys yell abuse at me and one tried to side swipe me while i was pushing the ute.. I ended up fixing the ute on the side of the road and no one stopped i was there for over half an hour!
So where was all these nice blokes that like helping women with broken down cars!!?????
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #36
luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveDilute
One memorable occassion in Adelaide, it was ****ing down and as I come down Montague Rd, there is a little Ford Laser upside down on the wrong side of the road. Stop about 20m in front of car, put on the hazards and then check to find the driver stumbling around dazed and confused.
Turn the ignition off to the car which is stinking of fuel, sit the guy down in my car, give him some water and wait for the cops and ambos. Parents of the guy (P plater) arrive on the scene and start abusing me, thinking I must have shunted him or something (never heard of aquaplaning I suspect) and it's only until the guy is coherent enough that they realise that I was the saviour and then the mum hugged me (unfortunately, NOT a milf)
haha- Montague Road. That's where my VH commie blew up.... No one stopped to help, not even to push me off the road. They just honked at me. I had to ring my dad to come help me push it.

also, I used to drive a 323. I rolled it on a dirt road up in the hills. Two guys in a van stopped and drove me to a payphone, then back to my car. If they didnt i'd probably still be there lol.

Once i was driving down Salisbury Highway, behind a ford focus, when it started losing all of its coolant. I managed to get her to stop, lol she had no idea what was going on... And when i popped the bonnet, the top radiator hose had come straight off. If she had kept driving, she would have cooked her engine. I urged her to call RAA then i was off.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #37
gozza

for some reason i always end up jump starting cars
i work on a slip road beside the M1 and some dude comes over(ran across both sides of the highway) saying his cars flat....had to bloody drive him on the other side of the highway...do a u turn on the side of the highway with barely thw width of the car of level surface(dropped of into a ditch) start his car...then i find myself facing 3 lanes of traffic flying past me at 100km/h...but i maneged to turn round lol...then in the next week i jump started an old kingswood and an old eb wagon
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #38
XRated
Shoot.

My fuel pump shat itself in some really heavy traffic on one of Geelong's main roads. Trust me to be in the furthest lane.. A girl behind me started beeping and I got all angry and put my hazards on to see what was the go. Her and her boyfriend ended up parking behind me and put their hazards on and helped me push my car to a car park to the side of the road. They made my day. Plus I had half the Vic E-Series boys close by (run home after a cruise) who hung around with me until RACV came and towed my car about 500 metres to madnc_8's house

Awaiting the day to repay someone the favour.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Just as a matter of interest after giving some bloke a lift to get fuel tonight, poor bugger it was a 5k walk and he wasnt tiny either, have you pulled over to help someone on the side of the road...

I am quite an expert in changing tyres for female drivers.......

:nutsycuck :nutsycuck :nutsycuck
Myself and Barry_V stoped last friday night to help get an EB that had thrown the Alt/Waterpump belt away from a 4lane road (west tce). Folks had no idea about cars and had only had it 4hrs.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #40
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Yeh, I've helped numerous times with changing tyres, pushing cars to the side of the road, filled up jerry cans for people that have run outta fuel. I've towed few mates home too, and that thing about karma is exactly right. Never taken a hitchhiker though.
Old 14-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #41
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

last week my mate was coming over to give me some cash he owes me, he saw a guy on thew side of the road and pulled over and gave him a push about 500m to his house, the bloke gave him $50 for doing it, maybe i should help out more.

reminds me to, he still owes me money and it's pay day :evilking:
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #42
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

This thread serves reason as to why, as in Europe, a single warning triangle to ECE (UN/ECE) standard should be 'mandatory' requirement for registration.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #43
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

I've helped to change a few flat tyres (and been helped once when my jack broke), I've pushed numerous cars off the road (and been helped to push my car off the road) plus picked up a few hitch-hikers when they were going my way (and I've hitched a couple of rides as well)

Like a couple of you said - Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03
What really gets on my nerve is when a car has broken down a long way ahead of you in a traffic jam and no one is helping to push it out of the way. they just sit there and honk
This wouldn't surprise me in Sydney or Melbourne etc, but when I came across this in a little Central Queensland town I was really dissapointed. Everyone honking, no-one helping.

Panda
Old 14-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #44
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Do not pick up hitch hikers at all.
Have helped people out in the forms of giving a push or changing a tyre.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #45
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I had a great experience with this... Ended up with blood and guts from one end of the green Machine to the other.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #46
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've helped a few people push cars off the road (danm XW's are heavy!), and drove one of them to the servo, where she proceeded to pour petrol all over the outside of her jerry. i think my car still smells :P

I also picked up a hitch hiker in the bottle shop drive through, and gave him a lift about 500m down the road (i was picking up a pizza). He stunk pretty bad, but gave me a tip off as to where i can find a great hooker. Thanks mate.

There's certain situations where i won't help though - dodgy looking hitchhikers etc, and one situation in apollo bay where a women had got her impreza stuck on a garden (this thing was like a 1'6" tall!). I would have helped if it wern't for the risk of damage to her car - it's a sad fact that people will hold you responsible for damage (a lesson sorely leaned by a number of 4WDers). If i'm in the bush i'll always offer a hand.

I've never had anyone pull over for me - tho my ever-reliable VK has only broken down on me once (did it to mum numerous times).

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post