Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #31
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I cant believe someone with an AU (and wagon mind you) is having a go at the 380's styling ::
Pot calling kettle black anyone :
That has to be the best comment on these forums for weeks.
Old 16-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #32
XRated
Shoot.

Sounds like a V8 in the TV commercial ehehehe Not Minge's again, is it?! :P

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #33
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Mate your not the only one, I reckon its a fantasic car. I hate the FWD/RWD
argument.
Fact : RWD vs FWD is not a major consideration for 95% of Motorists.
As I have said in another post, lets revisit it in a year and see what transpires.
My prediction is the 380 will outsell the traditional falcon/commodore family market.
The US sells more family sized FWD cars than here but I think Australians are reluctant to by in large enough numbers to outsell the RWD holden or falcon family cars.
But will agree the 380 is a nice car.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #34
aimzes
...fairly odd

had a pretty good look at the 380 yesterday and holy s**t... its nice. very nice.

honestly pics dont do it any justice. i will be very surprised if it doesnt sell, they have done such a bloody good job.
Old 16-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #35
nb_351
building the xe...

they are a decent car... especially the vrx... look at it closely, especially the rear end, its a nice piece of work... better than that last magna effort anyway...
and having driven one at a test day against the opposition... falcon, commodore and magna, its up there... better quality than the rest of them... especially build quality...
it is a pity about the fwd, and the steering wheel though...
cant wait to see one dropped on 19s, tinted and exhausted... hopefully with sprintex kit... that would be nice...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #36
8pAc
RDP #181

I think they look good, they just need to be awd from the word go and have an extra 15-20 kw. I dont think the s/w looks that bad.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #37
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
If the 300c takes off in RHD markets I wonder if they might concider making them here and handing the plant back over to Chrysler..
That will never happen. Mitsubishi Australia will either survive on its own or close permanently.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #38
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Your dreaming if you think Mitsubishi is going to sell anywhere near what Ford / Holden Sell in Falcon/Commodores! My predictions is that they will be lucky to sell 2500 a month, maybe they will sell 4,000 in the first few months while everyone is pumped about them, but come a few months after launch when the initial excitment so to speak is over, they will be lucky to do 2500.
Only time will tell on the 380 sales. But the XF & EA which were very average cars in build quality & performace options sold very well.

buickman
Old 17-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #39
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

just knocked these up quickly. apologies for the small size, i couldn't find any hi-res pics of the 380. just shows what potential the styling has. IMO the 380 is a very, very good car and i beleive it will sell well. its definately up there with the mazda6 and accord euro in terms of larger front wheel drive cars that i would genuinely consider owning.

apologies for the general crapness of the photoshop job, as i said, it was done in haste and if any of you more skilled photoshoppers would like to do a better version, i encourage you to, as i would love to see what can be done with this car.

note: the pics on the left are the stocko 380s, the ones on the right the photoshopped ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mitsubishi 380.JPG (45.2 KB, 98 views)
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 12:52 AM   #40
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Not the 4 door?? Because that is what Quatro stands for (Quatroporte, meaning Four Doors)?
Quattroporte is the Maserati luxury sedan, their competitor for the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Audi A8 and BMW 7-Series. Quattro Audi's are AWD.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #41
gozza

i liked the look of the new 380 on the add
i saw one in the flesh the other day...i'm not sure if the rear taillights are sposed to be this way but they had a clear sort of mask over them.....the car was jacked up and looked really cheap n tacky...very dissapointed actually
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 380 is exactly what i expected from Mitsubishi, i wasn't dissaointed at all, it is a large FWD passenger vehicle, nothing more, nothing less.
Mitsubishi catter nicely for the mum and budget rep car market.
As soon as towing or performance of any description becomes a consideration in a purchase Falcon or Commodore are in a league of their own, allways have been, allways will.

Old 17-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #43
MintEAFalcon
1990 EA Falcon S Driver

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
But the XF & EA which were very average cars in build quality & performace options sold very well
Against the equally poorly built Commodore. So it was, in effect, a level playing field, at a time where big RWD cars ruled the roost and people still bought wagons.

Times have changed, the bar has been lifted. This is not simply just a Magna revamp (read the 20 or so page article in the October Wheels or the many other online articles), its a totally new (for MMA) vehicle and its a fresh alternative to the offerings over at the red and blue camps.

Those who compare it to the AU, really have not looked at it closely at all. Go check one out at your nearest dealership. It couldnt be more distanced from the AU's droopy, over-inflated styling if it tried.

Standard options are impressive and the package should appeal to the majority of people looking at a larger car, without the large car barge look.

I personally love the look of the 380. I think it probably could have taken on a slightly more agressive stance on the design of the front (headlights mainly) but overall, for an aussie built and part-aussie engineered car, its very very impressive.

I dont believe it needs ANY more power as its a lighter car and any additional kilowatts will furthur compound the issue of getting those front tyres to grip.

I think it should do well. I would buy one! VRX please...
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #44
telstar1

i have had a look at the 380 nice car but doesnt look big enough for a family of 5
telstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #45
buickman
buickman

[QUOTE=MintEAFalcon]Against the equally poorly built Commodore. So it was, in effect, a level playing field, at a time where big RWD cars ruled the roost and people still bought wagons.

In performance stakes it was'nt a level playing field as Commodores offered perfermance of Turbos & V8's as options.

While Ford was only concered with fleets & Taxi's & sponsering Tennis. Hell they even had a gutless 3.2 mtr in the EA.The XF ghia will never be sought after like a VL Calias turbo or a EA Spak over a VN SS or group A.

But at least the 380 has a quality build plus sport & handling options to take on the family 6's of the oposition .
The Mitsibishi Lancer EVO is their performance car to take on the Holden & Ford performance cars .

buickman
Old 17-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #46
AuFairlaneV8

Base model is ugly only the gt looks rite.

Im always hearing about mitsubishis build quality and relability, I cant see how it is any better than ford or holden, or the korean cars for that matter, my brother had a mid 90's verada, that thing had nothing but troubles and the interior just crap, rattles and noises coming from everywhere
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #47
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As soon as towing or performance of any description becomes a consideration in a purchase Falcon or Commodore are in a league of their own, allways have been, allways will.
Mitsubishi Magna Sports/VRX had the most powerful 6 out of the aussie cars for quite a period of time, used to whip the 5.0Ls
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #48
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Saw one on the road yesterday and it's quite a nice looking car. However, the biggest downfall is why they have the same engine across the entire range. Can the current FWD setup only handle 175kw?

I'd be wanting around 190kw for VRX, 200+ for the GT.
Old 18-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Mitsubishi Magna Sports/VRX had the most powerful 6 out of the aussie cars for quite a period of time, used to whip the 5.0Ls

Give me a break!!!

Old 18-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #50
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Good looking cars and i hope they do well with them. I think we need to take our "ford hat" off when we look at these cars - they're targeting a different segment with the VRX than Ford do with the XR series. An XR driver wants a sporty saloon car - a VRX driver wants to be told it's a sporty car and wants to think its a sports car despite the fact its a large, 175kw FWD.

I'm undecided if it's brave or stupid. If i worked at mitusbishi i dunno if i'd appreciate the execs going "all in" for a game of texas hold 'em..... but then, if it pays off then the execs will be heroes to many people and their families.

Fingers crossed.

And i gotta wonder guys - since when was 175kw ****weak? A lot of members here have 5.0L v8's that made less than that when they were stock. Mangn... sorry... 380.. doesnt need to get caught up in GMH/Ford's horsepower war.... how's the fuel economy in that Boss 260??
Old 18-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Good looking cars and i hope they do well with them. I think we need to take our "ford hat" off when we look at these cars - they're targeting a different segment with the VRX than Ford do with the XR series. An XR driver wants a sporty saloon car - a VRX driver wants to be told it's a sporty car and wants to think its a sports car despite the fact its a large, 175kw FWD.

I'm undecided if it's brave or stupid. If i worked at mitusbishi i dunno if i'd appreciate the execs going "all in" for a game of texas hold 'em..... but then, if it pays off then the execs will be heroes to many people and their families.

Fingers crossed.

And i gotta wonder guys - since when was 175kw ****weak? A lot of members here have 5.0L v8's that made less than that when they were stock. Mangn... sorry... 380.. doesnt need to get caught up in GMH/Ford's horsepower war.... how's the fuel economy in that Boss 260??
Its not the 175kw that's a problem, its FWD that kills its sports performance appeal.
Large FWD cars CANNOT do what equal powered Large RWD cars can, its simple physics.
The AWD magna was even worse, 0-100 in 9.2 seconds?
The Magna VRX and 380GT are "pretend" sports cars, again it can't compete with the aussie product on that front.

Old 18-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #52
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Its not the 175kw that's a problem, its FWD that kills its sports performance appeal.
Large FWD cars CANNOT do what equal powered Large RWD cars can, its simple physics.
The AWD magna was even worse, 0-100 in 9.2 seconds?
The Magna VRX and 380GT are "pretend" sports cars, again it can't compete with the aussie product on that front.
Totally agree... but look at the people that buy magnas/probably 380s... a little bit 'dull'... maybe worked for the ATO at some stage of their life, maybe the RTA.... they can put their foot down at 100km/hr and overtake a truck on the freeway, but they're not looking to cut a 14 down the 1/4...

I mean, out of the box Ford cant make a car that beats holden's clubbie to 100 can it? No, but it doesnt ppl stop buying FPVs.

There's some boring people out there. A lot of them. And i think the 380 will really tickle their sense of sensibility.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #53
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
There's some boring people out there. A lot of them. And i think the 380 will really tickle their sense of sensibility.
Haha, that's what some people say about Falcons out: "Who'd want to own a taxi?"

There's no point in US trying to GUESS what the consumer markets will do, as we, as car fans account for about 2-5% of buying public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vman
Actually physics state that a fwd car should have less drivetrain losses than a rwd car with the same engine. Doesn't always work in practice.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #54
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Haha, that's what some people say about Falcons out: "Who'd want to own a taxi?"

There's no point in US trying to GUESS what the consumer markets will do, as we, as car fans account for about 2-5% of buying public.

Actually physics state that a fwd car should have less drivetrain losses than a rwd car with the same engine. Doesn't always work in practice.
Drive train power gains from reduced frictional loss is debatable and minimal compared to the disadvantage of "pulling" the car with the front wheels compared to "pushing" the car with the rears.
When you accelerate a car the weight bias shifts rearwards, this unloads the front tyres causing traction issues, similarly the rear shift in weight on a rear drive car "loads" the tyres to improve traction. Torque steer is another FWD dissadvantage too.
Ever towed any weight with a FWD car? its bloody aweful, and dangerous....

Old 18-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #55
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a pointless argument - there are many fors and againsts for fwd vs rwd. Obviously RWD is going to be better for performance applications and towing, not disputing that.

But given that most cars have 60% of the weight over the front axel, you could turn around and say that a rwd car is just dangerous pushing such a lump of weight in the front, ie the car is more prone to oversteering.

I'm not sure why your putting so much emphasis on weight transfer, most FWDs spin the wheels due to the tyre not being able to keep torsional grip rather than losing downforce (weight) from the front. Really the limit of power for a front wheel drive with current tyre technology is around 180-190kw - the ralliart Magna was a to try and launch in a hurry because of this very reason, not weight transfer.
Old 18-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #56
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Magna has a new badge! Do we need to rerun the same dull arguement about the same dull car? It's been done to death!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #57
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar1
i have had a look at the 380 nice car but doesnt look big enough for a family of 5
I had a sit in one yesterday and I agree. I think Mitsu's argument about this car being the same size as the Commodore and Falcon is rubbish. Leg room is great but height is terrible and it doesn't look much wider inside than the old Magnas. My standard test is to sit in the driver's seat at my normal position then jump into the backseat behind the driver seat to judge whether you can fit 4-5 adult sized people in. I'm 6'1" and I found the rear claustrophobic, particularly with my head bashing the ceiling.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #58
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Magna has a new badge! Do we need to rerun the same dull arguement about the same dull car? It's been done to death!
The argument has validity because if Ford and Holden don't have any real competition then you'll get an AU forever or a VP forever. It's only through strong competition from other cars that Holden and Ford are FORCED to improve their vehicles. If Holden and Ford only have Toyota to compete with then we'll all be driving Avalons - won't that be fun!!!!

You're argument about the "dullness" of the Magna is simply irrelevant because it's not a car aimed specifically at you. It's a better Accord V6 rather than a SS Commodore or XR6 Falcon. Get into a 380GT and suddenly you'll be saying "why can't Ford and Holden build this?"
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #59
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb
The argument has validity because if Ford and Holden don't have any real competition then you'll get an AU forever or a VP forever. It's only through strong competition from other cars that Holden and Ford are FORCED to improve their vehicles. If Holden and Ford only have Toyota to compete with then we'll all be driving Avalons - won't that be fun!!!!

You're argument about the "dullness" of the Magna is simply irrelevant because it's not a car aimed specifically at you. It's a better Accord V6 rather than a SS Commodore or XR6 Falcon. Get into a 380GT and suddenly you'll be saying "why can't Ford and Holden build this?"
PLEASE... WHY the hell would Ford or Holden want to build this????????????????????????????
Old 18-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #60
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb
Get into a 380GT and suddenly you'll be saying "why can't Ford and Holden build this?"
Umm no! That is probably the last thing I'd be saying, I think my exact words were "same old, same old". and once the hoopla of a new model has waned, I think you'll find it was only the badge that differed. More is the pity.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post