Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Driving laws you may not know you're breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
You cann't flash your lights from low to high beam to warn of a revenue camera. BUT you can flash from off to low beam to warn of the revenue camera.
No you cant! - flashing your lights, honking your horn, even going 100m down the road of the speed camera and putting up a sign is "Perverting the course of justice" and is criminal offence... however, in the court of law, they will need to prove you were flashing your lights to warn of a speed camera, and not just testing your light switch....

Quote:
The loophole here is that this does not apply if you are travelling less than 500m for the purpose of farming. Funnily enough, the rules do not specify if this loophole is only applicable to animals, though you'd need to be fairly creative to justify using your girlfriend for farming.
But if you were driving on a farm, road rules dont apply as its private land...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser

But if you were driving on a farm, road rules dont apply as its private land...

Depends. There are a few that do. Eg, Predatory driving, drive manner dangerous & DUI.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
. It's the other way around.
No it's not.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
Poorboy_racer

Some time ago a freind of mine got done for being drunk in charge of a wheelchair, and he was not larking around in it, he is disabled.
Poorboy_racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #35
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If you hit a farm animal on the road, the best way round it is, remove the branding/ear tag...Cut it up and there's tea for a week or more. (Just don't get caught)

Mobile phone law.....Someone obviously doesn't watch TV or listen to the radio or even read the paper....There's ads splashed all over these media outlets about this being an offense. So someone really needs to listen/read the media outlets, rather than spend so much time on the interweb.

Splashing mud on a bus....If it's accidental..ie you don't swerve at it, no copper would fine you for it....They might be mongrels in some peoples eyes, but they do use common sense the majoity of the time. So chances of getting pinged for that are slim.

DUI...On a horse...The law has been in since horses were the form of transport....The gov't has never removed that from the legislation (if that's where it is)....So yep, you can get pinged for it.

The rest....UUMMM...sounds like common sense to me....Then again, the majority of the road rules are common sense. You fail to use iot, the coppers can fine you for it...Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but I don't think it's worth going into.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy_racer
Some time ago a freind of mine got done for being drunk in charge of a wheelchair, and he was not larking around in it, he is disabled.
What the flamingo?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #37
66GT

Ok so I understand you can get booked for exceeding the posted speed limit. However if your in reverse, how can you safely check your speed is under the limit - especially the 21km when entering a round about?
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT
Ok so I understand you can get booked for exceeding the posted speed limit. However if your in reverse, how can you safely check your speed is under the limit - especially the 21km when entering a round about?
Thats your problem... same with if your speedo doesnt work... the speed limit is the speed limit...forwards, backwards or sideways.... not having a speedo has nothing to do obaying the speed limit.

Same with school zones which has a specified time.... if you dont have a watch.. thats your problem...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #39
burnz
VFII SS UTE

what happens if it was the bus that splashed the mud while picking up it's passengers ?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #40
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Same with school zones which has a specified time.... if you dont have a watch.. thats your problem...
That's one thing that annoys me. You can apparently look at your wristwatch to check the time if you car does not have a clock. Press a button on your phone to light it up and show the time? Bam. Criminal, time to pay up.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #41
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars have clocks on the dash
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$10 says ive broken a few that dont even exist..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

What happens in schools zones, say, if your clock is out?

Is there a +/- allowance?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Ummm, if they owned a seeing eye dog - they wouldn't be driving....

Hehehe, thanks for responding. I was hoping the obvious irony of my comment would be accepted by most, due to it being blindingly obvious to even the dumbest reader, but alas I was mistaken.

Not surprised though.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #45
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
You cann't flash your lights from low to high beam to warn of a revenue camera. BUT you can flash from off to low beam to warn of the revenue camera.
I'll ask the stupid question. How do you flash from off to low beam? Just turn on your low beams, is that it?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #46
Fantome

Just thought I would give a warning to the kids on my school run tomorrow. If it rains I will NOT stop for you, just in case I splash any mud.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #47
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Current Legal Situation
Queensland still relies on an old common law rule (Searle v Wallbank) for animals
straying onto the road or highway, whereby owners will usually be immune from
liability in negligence.
At common law, the owner or occupier of land adjoining a highway owes no duty of
care to users of the highway for damage caused by straying stock. An owner or
occupier does not even have a duty to maintain his or her fences to prevent cattle
straying onto the road.
Page 1 of 5
http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets...ying_stock.pdf

Correct, but that's only QLD. The common law reliance has been changed everywhere else:

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/doc...eRBR201010.PDF

"Provisions clearly modelled on Section 8(1) of the UK Animals Act are to be found in Part VIII of the Victorian Wrongs Act 1958 inserted by the Wrongs (Animals Straying on Highways) Act 1984 (Victoria), Part IV of the Law of Animals Act 1962 (Tasmania) as amended by the Law of Animals Amendment Act 1985, and Section 3(1) of Western Australia’s Highways (Liability for Straying Animals) Act 1983. In New South Wales,32 South Australia33 and the ACT34 the rule in Searle v Wallbank has also been abrogated by statute. In Queensland, to date, common law principles still apply. Nor does the common law rule appear to have been abolished in the Northern Territory35"

It goes on to say that there are calls for reform to this law in QLD.

So, in summary, a farmer is negligent for livestock on the road everywhere except QLD & NT. Given that the OP referred to NSW road rules, I was correct anyway.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #48
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
I'll ask the stupid question. How do you flash from off to low beam? Just turn on your low beams, is that it?

Um, your lights have an on/off switch don't they? It's also an off/on/off switch.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Um... there is no allowance when you break the speed limit.

Its called "officers discretion" as to what allowance he gives you....
If your 1min past im sure he wont bother.... 15mins?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #50
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you know that when you are in a lane with arrows to turn and you have your blinker on, that is an offence!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #51
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technically you have already turned when you are in that lane, so blinkers are superfluous if you can only go in one direction.
Old 24-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #52
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone heard the one that makes urinating on the your rear left tyre on the side of the road legal? I've heard that one do the rounds a few times.

Ian
Old 24-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #53
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

That happened a few years ago. Clock was 10 or 15 min out and he got off as his boss came in to testify that all his work vans clocks were out and the drivers didn't know.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #54
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the shcool zone is a no brainer for most people, you know when you are close to the start of school day or end without needing to look at a clock ,if you told me that as an excuse after running over a kid in front of my eyes id flog you before cops ever got near ,Pathetic realy,it scares me to think people dont take extra care anywhere near a school, same goes for bus stops (you as a normal human know kids do things without realising the danger so i always expect a kid to walk or run from in front and behind a bus and slow right down just in case.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
No you cant! - flashing your lights, honking your horn, even going 100m down the road of the speed camera and putting up a sign is "Perverting the course of justice" and is criminal offence... however, in the court of law, they will need to prove you were flashing your lights to warn of a speed camera, and not just testing your light switch....
YES YOU CAN well up here and in a few other states anyway.

Every morning the radio stations broadcast where the radars are and anyone can warn.

Some time ago the police minister was asked publicly if radars were there to slow people down or raise money. He answered to slow people down (of course) and was then cornered into stating that anything that slowed people down in black spots was a good thing and flashing or warning was not illegal.

One Easter a couple of years ago the Police Commissioner actually, on television, asked everyone to flash as they wanted a zero road toll and please everyone slow down.

Of course you live in NSW where possession of a radar detector carries a higher penalty than doing 200km/h in a school zone.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
the shcool zone is a no brainer for most people, you know when you are close to the start of school day or end without needing to look at a clock ,if you told me that as an excuse after running over a kid in front of my eyes id flog you before cops ever got near ,Pathetic realy,it scares me to think people dont take extra care anywhere near a school, same goes for bus stops (you as a normal human know kids do things without realising the danger so i always expect a kid to walk or run from in front and behind a bus and slow right down just in case.
Really? Wander out to Torbanlea and then to Kent st in Maryborough and see when the zones are active and how hard it is to see the signs.

For those who are a bit far away, Torbanlea is 7:30-9:00 and 2:30-4:00 while Kent St is all day. The Torbanlea one has recently been changed from 6:30 to 7:30 and from 4:30 to 4:00.

You cannot see Torbanlea School or any sign of anything like a town until you are actually in the zone, it is a very popular "killing field".

They may be "no brainers" to locals but on an arterial road driving into the sun with totally non standard times (despite the school zone standardisation claim) tourists and travelers get caught all the time.

Last edited by flappist; 24-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #57
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Why I don't understand (well actually I do) is why there are aren't frequent ad's on TV, radio and in magazines showing road rules. actually putting in the faces of the road users. Not just the 'Speed kills' garbage that they do.
They had one on the other day explaining roundabouts
Old 24-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #58
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
They had one on the other day explaining roundabouts
Great idea, There should be more!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy_racer

old mate got done for being drunk in charge of a horse.....he was passed out sozzled in the back of the wagon and the horse was taking him home ( a regular occurrence that everyone knew about).....didnt even have the reins in his hands

steady Eddie ( a well known comedian who happens to have cerebral palsy) once won the local dance competition....

he was only crossing the dance floor on his way to get a drink

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!

Last edited by poppa smurf; 24-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #60
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
what happens if it was the bus that splashed the mud while picking up it's passengers ?
The universe will implode...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post