Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should i buy a VL?

wow this is interesting thanks for all the info, it looks like a need to brush up on my nissan and holden knowledge.

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy XR6 Turbo
Lol as nice as a RB26DETT would be, I'm sure there are cheaper ways for decent power

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-R32-G...item58936f52f0
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the latest unique cars issue, there is a base VL with only 12000kms, price $7500 firm
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #34
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

rb26dett theyre never made rb20dett.

rb20's are pretty much useless not enough torque
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
only problem with them is the sump due to being 4wd motor otherwise they drop straight in
Old 19-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a number of VL calais, still have a calais 5ltr which i restored. The 6's were a great engine, common for head gaskets but as mentioned that was due to poor maintenance/improper coolant fills. They actually had a bleeder bolt on top of the intake plenum which was used to remove any air pockets that remained in the system after flushes etc. Problem was the radiator sat below the level of the top of the head so if the car wasn't filled properly you could have a problem on your hands. I believe the 6's used the Jatco 3 speed auto with electronic torque converter lock up (commonly thought of as a 4 speed box) but the electronic lock up was prone to failure so might be something to check up on. Diff used on the 6's was the solid borg warner with the 25 spline 3.45 rear end which i believe used the same crown and pinion gear as many of the earlier Fords (E series I believe, possibly X series as well). Some other things to look for are rust at the bottom of the front window pillars, rust at the base of the rear windscreen, rust inside the boot spare wheel well, dash electrics were sometimes a nightmare, leaking exhaust manifold gasket (soot at the back of the firewall on cases left untouched), fuel pressure regulator were known to pack in (car would run between great and blowing black smoke, running rough and coughing its ring up), Airfloe sensors as well as crank angle sensors. You would know if any of the above were bung as soon as you tried to start the car up/ run for 10 mins. And whatever else you can typically find on a 25 year old car. Yes they had thier shares of issues but show me a car that doesn't. Overall it would be a great daily if in good condition and you could have it cheap, they are obviously not as comfortable as today's cars but still smooth and quiet for the age. Parts are still around and can be had for decent prices. Also easy to work on if your into that and they are not too bad on fuel provided you don't redline the thing every chance you get.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
And?

Still need all the work assosiated with plumbing a TT...

RB30/25DET all the way.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #38
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
And?

Still need all the work assosiated with plumbing a TT...

RB30/25DET all the way.
what difference does TT make?
Old 19-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
au adam

Makes me think of the one i found in a backyard the other day with 43,000 klms.Yes im trying to buy it.
au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au adam
Makes me think of the one i found in a backyard the other day with 43,000 klms.Yes im trying to buy it.
I hope we are not looking in the same back yard!

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #41
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au adam
Makes me cry when I think of the VL Berlina turbo with 23,000km I once saw at a servo. Owned by an older ethnic lady, I asked if she was selling she said as a matter of fact she was and would take around 3g for it. Never wipped out the pen faster to give her my number but unfortunately she never got back to me. Also saw a white over silver VL calais with the maroon interior, 93,000km on the clock. Once again, old lady heads over, I could tell it was with her from brand new. She tells me that her late husband bought it new and she sould never sell it, the car would eventually out last her. Never mind I thought, just keep an eye out as these examples do pop up occasionally
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #42
Chopped
as in chopped

Fully Sic VL >
(>full of naughty words<)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ka7x2XKjDE
Old 19-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #43
nstg8a

id love a vl grp a, still might build a replica one day.

vl walky looks but with nissan turbo for grunt. not a bad package.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #44
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247
rb26dett theyre never made rb20dett.

rb20's are pretty much useless not enough torque
That's the one, I remembered the DETT part for twin turbo.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #45
nstg8a

even the rb20e powered vl's wernt too bad a ride. obviously not the most powerful in the world, but reliable as an axe.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #46
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'd hazard a guess a lot of people in this thread would have never driven a VL.

Let me tell you this - they are rough. They are old, they have vague power steering and underachieving brakes. Their interiors are rudimentary, they have questionable electronics and they are old. Did i mention they are old?

Unless you have a specific purpose for wanting to own one, don't.
If you would turn your nose up at an XF, then turn your nose up at a VL.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #47
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

sorry but vl's **** all over xf's at leasl they had a v8
Old 19-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #48
nstg8a

lol, i am a xf fan, but id rate a vl over an xf too.

choice of v8 or turbo, decent modern (at the time) engine... hero models to look up to... there was no performance model in the xf's.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #49
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RB30ET was a cracker
Old 19-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
what difference does TT make?
Double hardware, more work in piping, etc...

Plus, the DETT's used ceramic turbos, not valued highly for chasing big power...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #51
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Double hardware, more work in piping, etc...

Plus, the DETT's used ceramic turbos, not valued highly for chasing big power...
TT has just one pipe in and one pipe out as per single turbo RB's if you're using standard pipework.

And I'd rather the ceramic turbo's than a wheezy RB25

Context was "Should I buy a VL?" Dare say you wouldn't want to spend too many $'s on one in this day and age, hence a cheap jap transplant. If you were going in intending to spend big $'s on a VL you'd be best to give it a swerve.
Old 20-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #52
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
SVO supporter, I know you mean well but you make the VL sound like a Leyland P76 which had much the same problems as well as chronic rust in the front cross member. Hang on, are we getting off topic?

Only mentioning problems they have. Choice of purchase is upto the prospective buyer

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #53
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I'd hazard a guess a lot of people in this thread would have never driven a VL.

Let me tell you this - they are rough. They are old, they have vague power steering and underachieving brakes. Their interiors are rudimentary, they have questionable electronics and they are old. Did i mention they are old?

Unless you have a specific purpose for wanting to own one, don't.
If you would turn your nose up at an XF, then turn your nose up at a VL.

Sounds like you're an old car hater.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

If you can get it real cheap and its in good nick it would be a good canidate for wrecking as good condish panels are getting thinner on the ground because most youngins love them and cant drive for ****...
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #55
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i personally think the RB30 was a great motor myself. yes there was the head gasket thing but if there looked after they genreally do last!! only problem i have with VLs is the young tools who thrash them. expect too see a bit of rust in some of them (is aproching 30 years old) I personally think body wise the previous commodores where built better, (VB-VK). thats from what i have seen, i have seen some pretty clean one sthou in saying that. its like anycar it comes down too how it was looked after. in terms of moding i'd go for the RB30. lots of parts avalible and in turbo form absoultly fly for a 25 year old car. the RB30 with a 5 speed box is what i'd go for if it was me. the autos with the non- turbo RB30 are a bit sluggish for my liking but will do for a daily driver if you wanted one for that. you'd probablly would find a SL, Executive cheap, Berlina and Calais expect too pay more especally the Calais.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #56
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
First of all i want to say i am a Ford man, hence why im an active member here.
BUT
a family friend is moving into a home soon as she is getting on, but i have seen in her garage...
I dont know much about Holdens but i think its a VL, and its red and it has an Executive badge on the back...
now im toying with the idea, if the car does come up for sale, and someone in her family doesnt take it, what sort of car is it?

Will it be collectable, is it desirable, are they reliable, would it make a cheap project car?

Right now im thinking if i did buy it i would just keep it very factory, no ceptors or 22"s ect.

i dont know the kms but i assume they are low, and it lives undercover so i assume the paint is good and there should be minimal to no rust.

But what are your thoughts (if is was a comparable Ford i would be jumping at it)

thanks guys
Collectible? Never unless it's a police pack, but there are millions of these in copy form. Being an executive, it's the lowest spec Commodore.
Desireable? Yeah if you are 16 to 26 and want to paint it yellow, fit 'ceptors and a turbo
Reliable? Yeah. Nissan made them a good motor, common issue being the MAF.

IMO, I'f refer the XF (Fords answer to VL) with a mild 250 and 5 speed and 3.23 gears.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #57
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
SVO supporter, every ford (falcon) I have bought in the last 20 years has not been running coolant/corrosion inhibitor. And every E series ford I have ever bought has had or developed a blown head gasket. Why did it take Ford so long to realise the problem had a simple fix ie metal sandwich head gaskets? and decent corrosion inhibitor. Be good to find out what the reason was. Couldn't be cost surely? My XC Falcon with cast iron crossflow head had no dramas with blown head gaskets at all.
Ive noticed ANY alloy headed car is best to run coolant of sorts
Its the unknowledged who just put water in ,but that hasnt been drummed into people nowadays
How many when their alloy headed cars run hot pour cold water straight in,dont let them naturally cool first
Its an education thing , people arent educated on alloy heads properly
Any alloy headed car i had ,temps were checked all the time , everything had to be top notch
But any cast headed engine i had, gee most could run all day without water
never had some many head /head gasket issues in my life till i had alloy headed cars

Thats aside ,
The VL if bought for the right $$$, would be a great runabout,parts are everywhere,and usually cheap
So makes for a cheapie car
If its a purchase to make money , it would wanna be cheap
To me there is no good VL,that said i could be given a holden ,but wont come in my yard...
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

My old man use to own one. Great car.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #59
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't think I'd ever buy one, but VL turbo was basically the only new car that could spank my old carb'd V8s and 265 Hemis when I first got my P's .. it was a rare sight though. Should have a place in our automotive history as a real turning point. Once more populous injected V8s started to come online in the VNs, etc the old low-tech brigade were in trouble.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of my fondest car memories were my Exec Turbo

I loved the no frills nature of it, wouldn't have swapped it for a calais if you paid me.

Like a GS 5.0 today. Everyone runs them down for being sparse, but that's why I love them