Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #511
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Apparently the next Mustang will not continue with the overly retro styling of the current model. It will feature key Mustang elements, but be a very fresh, up to the minute design.
I'll believe it when I see it. However if it wants to compete in Europe and elsewhere against the other sports coupe's I don't see how they'll have much choice but to modernise it. Including IRS and a modern interior (current one looks like something out of the 90's).
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #512
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I'll believe it when I see it. However if it wants to compete in Europe and elsewhere against the other sports coupe's I don't see how they'll have much choice but to modernise it. Including IRS and a modern interior (current one looks like something out of the 90's).
J Mays has openly stated they have done "retro" long enough on the Mustang and indeed the next all-new Mustang will take on a more contemporary look.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #513
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Having just completed a camping trip this long weekend which was almost 800klm round-trip, I was reminded why the RWD Falcon is so good at what it does and why a FWD biased replacement for the Falcon will be lame.

It's solid RWD platform gives the car the finesse and dynamics to soak up whatever the road environment throws at it. All that with 3 adults in the car (with all their stuff) towing a camper trailer with the air con on full time (heat wave be gone!) and it never lost its cool, never put us into a brown pants moment on a high speed bend or with overtaking (no stupid speed wobbles or understeer) and what's more, it did it comfortably and was relatively easy on the juice considering the load it was put under. I felt in complete control all the time and I believe that the Falcon's thoroughbred RWD platform gave me that reassurance.

Suffice to say I simply can't see a FWD replacement for the Falcon being capable of this. Indeed if I wanted a V6 Camry, I would go buy one knowing full well it wouldn't be able to do the job as well as my Falcon does.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #514
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
J Mays has openly stated they have done "retro" long enough on the Mustang and indeed the next all-new Mustang will take on a more contemporary look.
I think the first generation retro mustang now looks average, but the 2011 looking brilliant.

When they try and change the mustang they stuff it...so I am happy with the slow evolution method.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #515
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The article said that Derrick Kuzac stated that this would be the first time there was foreign design influence on the Mustang, but that is wrong, and Derrick seems to be sharper than that. The Mustang II had design influences from Ghia of Italy, which it had just acquired at the time...

...Ford decided the styling issue still hadn't been fully resolved. Lee Iacocca, by now Ford's president, set up a massive styling competition comprised of several Ford and Lincoln-Mercury production and advanced design studios, also including Ghia of Italy.

http://www.mustangii.net/reinvented.asp

I hate to say it, but with the dismal production numbers of the Falcon I don't know how much longer Ford would let that go on. All sentiment aside, from a business standpoint, the Falcon cannot go on as it is. I don't mean that the Falcon would be killed by Ford. It has name recognition, history, and national pride, and all of that takes lots of money and time to accomplish. However, even with these elements it is not selling what it needs to be. There's going to have to be a change. I don't know what that needs to be, but what's happening now is not working, and there doesn't appear to be any improvement in sales on the horizon.

Making it into a global platform is a change. I want to say that because I don't want to sound all doom and gloom. This is the change I hope will happen.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #516
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Especially if we built it here.

Does this mean Mustang will grow, or Falcon will shrink?

Edit: We must remember Henry Ford's former estate in Dearborn. It has a role to play here, too.

Hopefully falcon will shrink, change the perception of being a big gas guzzler and make it perform better, with all the small cars getting bigger they don't need to as well
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #517
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Steve...for me a falcon based on a global platform is really the answer.

The devil is in the detail. I think foa are more than capable of the development work for a grwd platform. It comes down to styling to keep some jobs here because it could be dangerous to assume a global sedan will work here and hold the falcon name.

Id be happy with global platform and componentary, with a localized body style and interior. That way we keep our heritage so to speak, but fall in line with one ford aswell....that's the best case outcome for me other wise we will loose to much and the poo will hit the fan....but as you say, that's business.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #518
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Polyal, I hope the Falcon is used as the basis for GWRD. No reason not to, even if it is different from the current platform.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #519
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
Hopefully falcon will shrink, change the perception of being a big gas guzzler and make it perform better, with all the small cars getting bigger they don't need to as well
You can pretty much guarantee it will have a nip and tuck in terms of size. They should be able to take a little bit from here and there to help reduce weight, and if designed smartly enough it should still have the same interior space, but still be a big car, just not as big as it is currently. Switching to a V6 will allow them to reduce bonnet length and bring the firewall forward to create more room.

I don't know how it will work if they use a Taurus platform as the Taurus is bigger than Falcon yet smaller inside. And switching to FWD on a Taurus platform is pointless as a way to increase economy as the Taurus is heavier and would use more fuel, especially in the AWD versions which are even heavier and use even more fuel due to increased driveline friction. Unless its on an all new smaller Taurus platform which can address these issues.

The days of cars continuing to grow in size is over, manufacturers will start to reduce size model by model to reduce weight and emissions.

I think Holden have already hinted they will make the 2014 Commodore a little smaller.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #520
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I don't know how it will work if they use a Taurus platform as the Taurus is bigger than Falcon yet smaller inside. And switching to FWD on a Taurus platform is pointless as a way to increase economy as the Taurus is heavier and would use more fuel, especially in the AWD versions which are even heavier and use even more fuel due to increased driveline friction. Unless its on an all new smaller Taurus platform which can address these issues.
Surely that would be the case, as both cars will need to be updated in the next 4-5 years, if not sooner funds permitting.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #521
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Mullaly confirms Falcon and Mustang to share platform from 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
The article said that Derrick Kuzac stated that this would be the first time there was foreign design influence on the Mustang, but that is wrong, and Derrick seems to be sharper than that. The Mustang II had design influences from Ghia of Italy, which it had just acquired at the time...

...Ford decided the styling issue still hadn't been fully resolved. Lee Iacocca, by now Ford's president, set up a massive styling competition comprised of several Ford and Lincoln-Mercury production and advanced design studios, also including Ghia of Italy.

http://www.mustangii.net/reinvented.asp

I hate to say it, but with the dismal production numbers of the Falcon I don't know how much longer Ford would let that go on. All sentiment aside, from a business standpoint, the Falcon cannot go on as it is. I don't mean that the Falcon would be killed by Ford. It has name recognition, history, and national pride, and all of that takes lots of money and time to accomplish. However, even with these elements it is not selling what it needs to be. There's going to have to be a change. I don't know what that needs to be, but what's happening now is not working, and there doesn't appear to be any improvement in sales on the horizon.

Making it into a global platform is a change. I want to say that because I don't want to sound all doom and gloom. This is the change I hope will happen.

Steve
Is Ford NA aware of the lack of advertising Falcon gets?

What's the news on the IRS Mustang?
Old 21-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #522
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They are well aware of FoA's sales and marketing failures, that why they sent Eleanor Ford out here 3 or 4 times last year to help them fix it, as she's one of the top sales and marketing execs.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #523
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
They are well aware of FoA's sales and marketing failures, that why they sent Eleanor Ford out here 3 or 4 times last year to help them fix it, as she's one of the top sales and marketing execs.
Then a big marketing campaign must be happening soon. Coz of late. All I've seen is a focus, fiesta, mondeo add... about Ford 'sipping less petrol'. But what virtues of local products are shouted about by Ford?
Old 21-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #524
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Everything old is new again. Considering that mustang was born from the falcon (US) platform........
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #525
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Agree entirely. Falcon lacks the advertising of it's competitors. All I see is focus, mondeo I think because of the fuel they use. Holden has sidi 900kms Which we know is BS but nothing on falcon and how good the i6 or 5.0 coyote?

Loved the au adverts comparing the falcon to the commodore and how the falcon was much better. Where are those adverts?? I can only remember an fg XR ad with people waving their hands out the window. wTF? Seriously.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #526
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Then a big marketing campaign must be happening soon. Coz of late. All I've seen is a focus, fiesta, mondeo add... about Ford 'sipping less petrol'. But what virtues of local products are shouted about by Ford?
I wouldn't count on it.

But in saying that apparently Fords communications department has had a big influx of new staff due to the big year of releases they are having, so at least they realized they need help getting the message of new products out there.

Eleanor may have helped them with ideas and strategies for the releases of new Territory, Focus, Ranger etc.
Old 21-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #527
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro XR6
Agree entirely. Falcon lacks the advertising of it's competitors. All I see is focus, mondeo I think because of the fuel they use. Holden has sidi 900kms Which we know is BS but nothing on falcon and how good the i6 or 5.0 coyote?

Loved the au adverts comparing the falcon to the commodore and how the falcon was much better. Where are those adverts?? I can only remember an fg XR ad with people waving their hands out the window. wTF? Seriously.
Exactly. I only read it in a magazine ad. Ford bragged about how Holden released this new SIDI 3.0... and the Falcon was still more fuel efficient, without any changes at all. That would have made a great TV ad.

Don't Ford realise that just staring at Falcon while they decide, and not continuing to update, and market it, will not help them make an accurate determination of it's success?
Old 23-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #528
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Is Ford NA aware of the lack of advertising Falcon gets?

What's the news on the IRS Mustang?

I would imagine that Ford NA knows exactly what is going on with advertising in Oz. Mulally has a weekly meeting with the heads of all the Ford regions every Thursday. This has been happening since he arrived.

I have not heard anything on IRS in the Mustang. Doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 23-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #529
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Exactly. I only read it in a magazine ad. Ford bragged about how Holden released this new SIDI 3.0... and the Falcon was still more fuel efficient, without any changes at all. That would have made a great TV ad.

Don't Ford realise that just staring at Falcon while they decide, and not continuing to update, and market it, will not help them make an accurate determination of it's success?
What if we all chip in and make our own ads for the Falcon and put them on prime tv.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #530
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
What if we all chip in and make our own ads for the Falcon and put them on prime tv.
Bloody great idea. You start working on a few scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I would imagine that Ford NA knows exactly what is going on with advertising in Oz. Mulally has a weekly meeting with the heads of all the Ford regions every Thursday. This has been happening since he arrived.

I have not heard anything on IRS in the Mustang. Doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

Steve
Have you tried Google? The internets be filled with IRS+Mustang articles.

I'd be interested to know what Mullaly thinks about Ford of Australia's marketing or lack thereof. And what he thinks about Mustang and Falcon possibly coming together.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #531
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I have said GRWD can and should be done. Including different variants; LHD and RHD, it could find 250,000 sales annually. Easy, particularly with Ford replacing all the large size, Mercury and Volvo sales etc. with other Ford branded models.

The likely list of viable large car names is a long one:

Falcon, Mustang (Base, Chev, Hyundai, Mitsubishi.)

Torino, Gran Torino (Mid, VW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan.)

Fairlane, Thunderbird (Luxury, Chrysler, Buick, Volvo, SAAB.)

Crown Victoria (Fleet, Special Order, Police, etc.)

Plus appropriate LINCOLN's..... (Premium, Cadillac, Audi, BWM, Mercedes, Jag.)

Then you also work out bodystyles, Sedans, Wagons, Coupes, Ragtop, Utes.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #532
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford sold Volvo and are shutting down Mercury.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #533
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Ford sold Volvo and are shutting down Mercury.
I think he means up against. But yeah. Mercury is already shut down.
Old 25-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #534
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Yes, that's my point. They also sold and closed sales respectively. Mercury used to be their mid range in the USA, now they need to extend the Ford brand into the area. Volvo is obviously competition now. (However good or bad that idea was, is open for another discussion.) My main point with all of it is that one platform with 250,000 sales easy, is worth doing. Remember, that just 3 years ago Mustang did 150,000 sales itself.
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 25-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #535
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Yes, that's my point. They also sold and closed sales respectively. Mercury used to be their mid range in the USA, now they need to extend the Ford brand into the area. Volvo is obviously competition now. (However good or bad that idea was, is open for another discussion.) My main point with all of it is that one platform with 250,000 sales easy, is worth doing. Remember, that just 3 years ago Mustang did 150,000 sales itself.
In the two markets it sells... not including imports. 300 million Americans, and 32.2 million Canadians. Suddenly Falcon sales don't look too bad.
Old 25-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #536
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I don't think you can compare a sports coupe and a sedan/sports sedan/wagon/ute (Back in 07/08) for market saturation anyhow. Ford RWD sales in Australia are good as a percentage. 50,000 in a market of 1,000,000 is 5%. Imagine Ford RWD with 5% in the USA!!!

Once again I am talking about the sales for the platform as a whole. There is no way it cant makes sense...
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 25-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #537
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
I don't think you can compare a sports coupe and a sedan/sports sedan/wagon/ute (Back in 07/08) for market saturation anyhow. Ford RWD sales in Australia are good as a percentage. 50,000 in a market of 1,000,000 is 5%. Imagine Ford RWD with 5% in the USA!!!

Once again I am talking about the sales for the platform as a whole. There is no way it cant makes sense...
Either with a platform share... or huge tech/underpinning share. Plus R&D. Huge savings to be made.
Old 26-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #538
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Either with a platform share... or huge tech/underpinning share. Plus R&D. Huge savings to be made.

Won't happen RWD Falcon is dead ...
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #539
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

The question has always been about sorting out whats most important first.

America needed a small car, they got the Fiesta - Done

Ford needed a global small car, Mk3 Focus - Done

Ford needed a global pickup truck, T6 Ranger - Done
--------
Ford need a global family car, CD4/EUCD2 Fusion/Mondeo - 2013??

Ford need to fix Lincoln - ???

After that, everything is just chasing gravy and anything RWD and sedan will fit somewhere between there and Lincoln's revival.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #540
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago I completed a university marketing degree. I've never actually used it and worked in the industry so I'm far from an expert, and would never claim to be.

But...

One lesson I remember - all products have a life cycle. It can be traced over a curve which relates directly to sales. Once a product reaches maturity sales decrease until the product reaches the end of its life cycle and is discontinued.

The Falcon has reached the end of its life cycle.

Anyone who cant see that has their head in the sand.

We have a few years (at best) of production of this uniquely engineered car left.

Unless your mechanically minded or an enthusiast, why would you buy a Falcon? Its a three-box-sedan design which absolutely no one wants anymore, and isn't exactly bristling with the mod cons that most buyers expect these days. Pains me to say, but outside our small circle, the Falcon has no reason to exist.

Best advice for the enthusiast on a budget: Buy a Falcon while you still can.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post