Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #391
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Maybe(thinkng outside the square) Falcon stays RWD AND REPLACES TAURUS in the states?
That will never happen.

At the moment, from what I can gather, is that the discussion is revolving around whether a RWD Falcon stays the same size as it does now, or becomes a bit smaller. Like D car size. A smaller RWD platform will tie in nicely with what America wants/expects out of a Mustang, but may cause issues for a traditionally large car like the Falcon, and a Lincoln if it eventuates.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #392
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Maybe(thinkng outside the square) Falcon stays RWD AND REPLACES TAURUS in the states?
That was part of the Global Rear Wheel drive plan but then Ford announced their volume car future in North American was with FWD .....

They are giving Taurus and the D3 any number of chances especially now they're moving Explorer to FWD/AWD.
I keep hoping FNA will see the light and just take up Falcon/Fairlane/Territory/Mustang on the one general platform.

As for Falcon becoming smaller, I think the real quest is lighter and size reduction is a secondary issue..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #393
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
styling/looks are subjective.
True, but in wagon form the 6 is the best looking wagon on the market, its only down fall is FWD and the deisel is only avaliable as a manual, its Mazda's BIGGEST mistake not offering the diesel in auto, in fact none of their range is avaliable as diesel/auto... its scary to think what their sales would be like if the 3/6/CX range had a diesel/auto option.

Old 30-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #394
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Mazda 6 KILLS the mondeo in styling and just about everything else too.... It sells well.
Not really. Wouldn't sell any more than 700-800 per month, and Mazda had to cut a few grand out of its price not long after it first went on sale after it didn't come close to their sales prodictions. And also Mazda do not have a larger RWD sedan to compete with like Mondeo does.

How it even has any relevance to what is happening with Mondeo/Taurus/Falcon I don't know. Would be a different buyer demographic.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #395
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Not really. Wouldn't sell any more than 700-800 per month, and Mazda had to cut a few grand out of its price not long after it first went on sale after it didn't come close to their sales prodictions. And also Mazda do not have a larger RWD sedan to compete with like Mondeo does.

How it even has any relevance to what is happening with Mondeo/Taurus/Falcon I don't know. Would be a different buyer demographic.
6 is a direct competitor to the Mondeo and Taurus... but point taken, not relevant to the Falcon.

Old 30-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #396
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
6 is a direct competitor to the Mondeo and Taurus... but point taken, not relevant to the Falcon.
Taurus is larger than Falcon, Did you mean the Fusion?
Old 30-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #397
boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
??? :
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #398
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

As for Falcon becoming smaller, I think the real quest is lighter and size reduction is a secondary issue..

It wont be lighter, the more weight that is taken out of a car through the use of different metals and composites, is offset buy the extra junk and safety features added to cars.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #399
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
It wont be lighter, the more weight that is taken out of a car through the use of different metals and composites, is offset buy the extra junk and safety features added to cars.
Traditionally this has been the case. I think now is when this will stop. Current Fiesta is lighter and i'm sure Focus will be too. Ford are looking to be the leaders in fuel economy.

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/art...use-2010-01-21

Quote:
US car manufacturer Ford wants to cut the weight of its cars by up to 340 kg, and shave fuel use by up to 20%

Ford's step-by-step approach to advancing drive train technology is divided into three phases.

This first phase focuses on migrating to advanced technology, such as improving the internal combustion engine. This runs from 2007 to 2011.

In the second phase, from 2011 to 2020, Ford will facilitate the full implementation of known technology.

For example, the company aims to reduce the weight of its cars by 250 to 750 pounds (113 kg to 340 kg) to further improve fuel efficiency.
The FG did end up heavier than BF2, but oh-so marginally. Under 15kg? The body in white increase was offset by plastic intake manifold and aluminium virtual pivot front suspension. It was certainly the smallest increase that i can remember.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #400
gtfpv
GT

. uncle sam does not care about falcon. THEY CARE ABOUT AMERICAN JOBS and profit . the falcon is a brilliant small market aussie car . and that takes sales and jobs off americans .
we all think that americans drive big F100's and big mustangs and chevies. go there and you will see little fiesta sized CHEVIES all over the place .
FORD MAY have a change of heart and munufacture a falcon , however i'm not sure it will compete with MAZDA and toyota, on a world scale.
i'm saddened and it will be a sad day , there will be tears in my house when the last aussie built falcon rolls out of the factory.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #401
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
. uncle sam does not care about falcon. THEY CARE ABOUT AMERICAN JOBS and profit . the falcon is a brilliant small market aussie car . and that takes sales and jobs off americans .
If the Falcon was to be a sales success in the US it would have to be built over there.

I would love to see if the Falcon would do well over there (I'm sorry but internet forums don't mean anything...kinda like people on here that would buy every car that wont sell), unfortunately FordNA will never give it a chance over there.
Old 30-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #402
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
we all think that americans drive big F100's and big mustangs and chevies. go there and you will see little fiesta sized CHEVIES all over the place .
FORD MAY have a change of heart and munufacture a falcon , however i'm not sure it will compete with MAZDA and toyota, on a world scale.
i'm saddened and it will be a sad day , there will be tears in my house when the last aussie built falcon rolls out of the factory.
Mate calm down, FoA is that tiny that we are not that much on the radar,
provided costs are controlled and returns stay within limits everyone is happy.

Ford head off isn't about to cram their cars down our throats, they know that won't work too well.
They want a new RWD but Job 1 is getting volume FWD products to market and the company profitable.
Old 31-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #403
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Traditionally this has been the case. I think now is when this will stop. Current Fiesta is lighter and i'm sure Focus will be too. Ford are looking to be the leaders in fuel economy.

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/art...use-2010-01-21

The FG did end up heavier than BF2, but oh-so marginally. Under 15kg? The body in white increase was offset by plastic intake manifold and aluminium virtual pivot front suspension. It was certainly the smallest increase that i can remember.
Composite manifold saved 4 or 8 (I can't remember) kg and the aluminium front suspension saved 22kg. Meanwhile VE gained approx. 100kg.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #404
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Crowing about VE's weight gain is pointless. Ford had the same weight gains for BA, the only difference is Ford took the pain 4 years earlier.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #405
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Crowing about VE's weight gain is pointless. Ford had the same weight gains for BA, the only difference is Ford took the pain 4 years earlier.
In 2002, Holden critisized Ford for making the BA so heavy but then four years later
they went and did exactly the same thing with VE and though no one would notice.....

Both cars gained a stronger body shell but fuel economy suffered because of the added weight.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #406
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Henry Ford said "Build them where you sell them." That thought is not done away with, but it is true that the world is a very different place now. I don't know what Ford was thinking with the 1996 Taurus being shipped to Australia, unless they were just looking to make up lost sales here in the US because the jelly bean shape lost fans of the cars and sales dropped. What else has Ford exported to Australia from the US?

Quote:
If the Falcon was to be a sales success in the US it would have to be built over there.

I would love to see if the Falcon would do well over there (I'm sorry but internet forums don't mean anything...kinda like people on here that would buy every car that wont sell), unfortunately FordNA will never give it a chance over there.
That first sentence is spot on. More Falcons would be sold in the US than Australia so they would need to be produced here. I believe it will have a chance here, though probably not the FG.

Quote:
They want a new RWD but Job 1 is getting volume FWD products to market and the company profitable.
That is also spot on.

Remember, Ford has already announced that the Fusion and Mondeo are going to merge platforms in their next generation.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #407
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
What else has Ford exported to Australia from the US?
They tossed the 'Probe' over here at the same time Steve, a top seller here as well (irony). We also got 'Explorer' as well.

Years ago we got 'Mustang' and the early 60's Compact Fairlanes, Star 8's, Mainlines, Single Spinners, Fairlanes from the 50's, etc.

We got Fords from Britain, including A40's, Cortinas, Zephers, Capri and others.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #408
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
They tossed the 'Probe' over here at the same time Steve, a top seller here as well (irony). We also got 'Explorer' as well.

Years ago we got 'Mustang' and the early 60's Compact Fairlanes, Star 8's, Mainlines, Single Spinners, Fairlanes from the 50's, etc.

We got Fords from Britain, including A40's, Cortinas, Zephers, Capri and others.

Thanks for the info. So nothing lately and not as much as in the past. You guys pay more for cars than we do, even after the exchange rate is figured. I would think exporting them to you would just make them that much more expensive and less desireable, especially when they are such great cars as the jelly bean Taurus and the Probe. :

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #409
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

"jellybean" is a major euphemism.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #410
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris

Quote:
??? :
Taurus is Larger Than Falcon - but only on the outside.

The Cockroach shape we had here was smaller, then there was briefly a Ford 500 - great car - same size as Taurus - but pretty.

Then the 500 and Taurus combined - the first was still about the same size (maybe just a rebadge on the 500)

but then there was the current model.

Bigger on the outside than a Falcon, but, in general, smaller on the inside - in all except one dimension IIRC.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #411
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

The jelly bean Taurus eventually morphed into the AU Falcon - Australians deserted it in droves and Ford handed Holden the large car market.

Last edited by banarcus; 01-02-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling oops
banarcus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #412
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Taurus is Larger Than Falcon - but only on the outside.

The Cockroach shape we had here was smaller, then there was briefly a Ford 500 - great car - same size as Taurus - but pretty.

Then the 500 and Taurus combined - the first was still about the same size (maybe just a rebadge on the 500)

but then there was the current model.

Bigger on the outside than a Falcon, but, in general, smaller on the inside - in all except one dimension IIRC.
Fivehundred/2008 Taurus and 2009 Taurus are all basically the same platform
but progressive evolution away from the earlier boxier more upright models.

Having seen them in the flesh and driven several a couple last September, I
can tell you that the new 2010 Taurus is designed with a cockpit atmosphere
and has a completely different feel to our FG Falcon - it is a much larger and
heavier car. I have to say I like both cars for different reasons and could see
both selling alongside each other. The latest Taurus is a brilliant car and
nothing like the earlier DN101 oval shaped Taurus you spoke about earlier.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #413
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Remember, Ford has already announced that the Fusion and Mondeo are going to merge platforms in their next generation.
Steve
Do you expect both cars to remain the same size or do you think that both might shrink a little? Reason I say this is because Mondeo is effectively the same size as FG Falcon and about 100kg lighter but with a 2.3L NA I4.

Also, if/when GRWD happens and Mustang/Falcon merge, then Falcon will most likely shrink too.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #414
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you expect both cars to remain the same size or do you think that both might shrink a little? Reason I say this is because Mondeo is effectively the same size as FG Falcon and about 100kg lighter but with a 2.3L NA I4.

Also, if/when GRWD happens and Mustang/Falcon merge, then Falcon will most likely shrink too.
Actually Marin was quoted as saying that the Falcon name will live on past 2015 and that
the vehicle will remain a similar size to now what he didn't commit to was the RWD bit....

Mondeo and Fusion will share top hats so maybe Europeans get the 5-door hatch called "Mondeo"
while North Americans get the 4-door sedan called "Fusion".

I would expect that both increase slightly in size pinching as many Taurus buyers as possible,
leaving a new Fairlane based Thunderbird as the new flagship for North America.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #415
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would expect that both increase slightly in size pinching as many Taurus buyers as possible,
leaving a new Fairlane based Thunderbird as the new flagship for North America.
Did you mean 'Falcon'?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #416
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Did you mean 'Falcon'?
I'm ever hopeful that a Thunderbird on the Fairlane will give the yanks
a true big car and double as a Lincoln Town car.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #417
Mayhem_07

Not that he would actually read anybody's comments unless they were kissing his *** but...

http://www.facebook.com/AlanMulallyFans?v=wall
Mayhem_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #418
boris

Quote:
Fivehundred/2008 Taurus and 2009 Taurus are all basically the same platform
but progressive evolution away from the earlier boxier more upright models.

Having seen them in the flesh and driven several a couple last September, I
can tell you that the new 2010 Taurus is designed with a cockpit atmosphere
and has a completely different feel to our FG Falcon - it is a much larger and
heavier car. I have to say I like both cars for different reasons and could see
both selling alongside each other. The latest Taurus is a brilliant car and
nothing like the earlier DN101 oval shaped Taurus you spoke about earlier.
What do you see as their differences, strengths etc?
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #419
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw one comparison of the Taurus vs G8, and one thing that caught my eye was that the Taurus was alot quieter in terms of interior noise, was something like 3-4 DBA better everywhere.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #420
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:

I am not sure what they will do about size. Thinking back to the fuel shortage of the 1970's, I would think cars will be shrunk down, especially since Mulally said that there was a market shift to smaller cars. With that and the similar conditions to the fule shortage of the 1970's (high cost) I think shrinking across the board is likely, where possible. Just my thoughts.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!