Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default CHP Orders Ford Police Utility

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._next_cruiser/

The California Highway patrol has ordered 1800 Ford Police Utilities (based on the Ford Explorer) for delivery over the next 2 years.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: CHP Orders Ford Police Utility

Interesting choice. Pity for Holden's Caprice PPV program though.

It's similar to the trend I've been seeing with the coppers in Perth - moving to dual cab utes so they can cart 4 cops with a box on the back for the baddies. Whilst the CHP clearly require a pursuit vehicle (and the Hilux aint no pursuit vehicle) and the Exploder PI doesnt have a prisoner module, the trend is there - cops want vehicles that can carry 4 officers and their gear.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Orders for the Ford Police vehicles have been running 60:40 in favour of the Interceptors (sedans). An order of this mangitude will probably shift that balance in towards the Utility (SUV).

Old 28-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
cops want vehicles that can carry 4 officers and their gear.
I saw a documentary on a couple of cops once, one of them called "Mike" drove a Porsche 911 that managed to carry a bit of riot gear in the front, and they had three people in it at one stage.

Although the other officer didn't like it to much due to its apparent lack of cupholders.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I saw a documentary on a couple of cops once, one of them called "Mike" drove a Porsche 911 that managed to carry a bit of riot gear in the front, and they had three people in it at one stage.

Although the other officer didn't like it to much due to its apparent lack of cupholders.
If that's the same documentary I saw, Mike would handcuff people to the steering wheel, fairly effective.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Keep in mind that americans love their SUV's...and you don't take a sword to a gunfight...perfectly understandable that they want big cars...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Funny, I know some supposed Ford fans who will be devastated by this choice.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats one tough looking SUV...Maybe Tezza should look like that???
Old 29-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk about a racehorse designed by a commitee, I would think they would be much better off in a Taurus, better fuel economy and handling etc. but really the main thing is do they want all their gear such as shotguns and electronics sitting in the back of a SUV rather than locked away safely in the boot of a sedan?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Talk about a racehorse designed by a commitee, I would think they would be much better off in a Taurus, better fuel economy and handling etc. but really the main thing is do they want all their gear such as shotguns and electronics sitting in the back of a SUV rather than locked away safely in the boot of a sedan?
Just speculating however with maybe some dedicated storage modules the rear cargo area of the Explorer could hold more and be more secure as you could possibly fit slide out shelving/racks etc which isn't possible in a sedan boot.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Did you even read the article? It says that the CHP's Gross Vehicle Mass requirements couldnt be met by any of the sedans on offer and it came down to the Explorer and some Dodge.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 29-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that in real world driving the fuel consumption difference between the sedan and the SUV is minimal.

It seems most of the smaller countys that order just one or two police vehicles at a time go for the SUV

Old 29-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you even read the article? It says that the CHP's Gross Vehicle Mass requirements couldnt be met by any of the sedans on offer and it came down to the Explorer and some Dodge.

Yes I read it, hence my comment 'racehorse designed by a committee' seems to be odd requirments set by various agencies have meant a compromised bidding selection in the end. Obviously they know their requirments, just seems a bit ridiculous that a Highway Patrol vehicle tendering process came down to a bloody Tahoe and Explorer.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Yes I read it, hence my comment 'racehorse designed by a committee' seems to be odd requirments set by various agencies have meant a compromised bidding selection in the end. Obviously they know their requirments, just seems a bit ridiculous that a Highway Patrol vehicle tendering process came down to a bloody Tahoe and Explorer.
But hey, we're not in their shoes and they know their requirements better than the car makers. Maybe turn it around to say the car makers arent meeting the needs of agencies by continuing to churn out sedans?

As I alluded to earlier, it would appear cops these days want vehicles that can carry 4 and all their crap as well - not because its a fad or a trend agencies are going through, it appears (to me anyway) that the feel they need up to 4 coppers on the beat in vehicles to deal with the levels of violent crime, drug related and gang related issues that seems to be the norm these days...

Old 29-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
But hey, we're not in their shoes and they know their requirements better than the car makers. Maybe turn it around to say the car makers arent meeting the needs of agencies by continuing to churn out sedans?

As I alluded to earlier, it would appear cops these days want vehicles that can carry 4 and all their crap as well - not because its a fad or a trend agencies are going through, it appears (to me anyway) that the feel they need up to 4 coppers on the beat in vehicles to deal with the levels of violent crime, drug related and gang related issues that seems to be the norm these days...

Maybe Ford Australia could develop a PI version of the SZ Territory and mabe the Ranger to meet the demand in Australia and stop police forces moving to the Hilux...

Old 29-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe Ford Australia could develop a PI version of the SZ Territory and mabe the Ranger to meet the demand in Australia and stop police forces moving to the Hilux...
I guess what im getting at is that they have gotten a vehicle which caters to their requirment of having enough payload for 4 officers and all their gear, even though maybe only 1% of the time there are 4 officers in the car - so the other 99% of the time when there are only one or two officers in the car, they are driving a compromised vehicle. But I guess in the age of lawsuits and duty of care, the departments have to accomodate every aspect.

Agree on the Territory, I have seen some as police vehicles. I wonder if a police pack Territory currently exists? or if the police just use standard ones.

Imagine a slightly lower/firmer Terriotory with upgraded alternator, sump guard, calibrated speedo - and on the plus side you could use the suspension on a XR6 Territory.
Old 29-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Interesting choice...

How to replace ageing, slow under performer?
Buy a new, slow under performer.

Did they not realise that a sedan can carry 4 officers as well?
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL97
Interesting choice...

How to replace ageing, slow under performer?
Buy a new, slow under performer.

Did they not realise that a sedan can carry 4 officers as well?
The article states that with 4 officers and equipment they are looking at a total of upto 1700lbs (donuts excluded) which is approx 770kg. It seems the sedans now on offer didn't meet this spec requirement so it's really 2 suvs, and Ford won this one.
Quote:
The CHP insists that its cruisers be able to safely carry all their equipment plus four fully equipped officers. In all, the CHP says that can add up to roughly 1700 pounds. That's a problem for the new crop of police sedans, because the beefiest of them, Ford's Police Interceptor Sedan, can only carry about 1200 pounds of people and gear. Simply put, the Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings of the sedans were too low to get the job done. What's a state trooper to do? Go big
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Agree on the Territory, I have seen some as police vehicles. I wonder if a police pack Territory currently exists? or if the police just use standard ones.

Imagine a slightly lower/firmer Terriotory with upgraded alternator, sump guard, calibrated speedo - and on the plus side you could use the suspension on a XR6 Territory.
I suspect they are just standard Territories they have just bought off the shelf. But Ford could do a 'police pack' Territory with all of the things you suggest as well as XR6 seats (trimmed in standard TX trim) and a push-bar. The TDCi AWD should give them enough poke for what they need to use it for, they're not going chasing stolen Lamborginis after all.

They could do a Police special Ranger dual cab as well, ship them without motors and front seats and FPV can do the work to fit the Duratec D35 V6 to it and sports seats (like Tickford used to do years ago - dabbling on the side with non-performance cars), lower it a bit and a plastic prisoner module on the back, would be quite a good performer.

Old 30-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
RASER
Banned

BIG slap in the face for GM/H and its exported Aussie Caprice
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta

It was summed up nicely

Just a shiney d$%^ with two chairs in it
Old 30-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
BIG slap in the face for GM/H and its exported Aussie Caprice

Don't worry, the Aussie media will barely mention it if at all, while quoting obscure references about how much Americans are in love with the Commodore-based Chevy SS and how it will be a huge success over there in 2013.