Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #61
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerian
The Holden marketing machine is sh*t? Well pardon me.

I may not like the product, but I am not so one-eyed that I can't see that Holden tend to market their product well. That ad is not aimed at us, I'm sure they could care less if we liked it or not. Based on Holden's past marketing, I can only assume that the target audience will quite enjoy the ad.
I was refering to this particular ad :
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #62
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
a Demon supporter?! Rare as hens teeth :evil3:
wonder what life as a sheeps like?
Old 19-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
Why because we are talking about how sh*t it is? doesn't mean we're going to buy one.

IMO this is a bad move by Daewoo this could seriously cheapen the brand doing deals with Holden
Doubt Daewoo would care since there not sold in Australia.

I thought this deal was done so that Holden could compete with the cheap small car market. A new small car for $12999, will appeal to people that 'think' a Holden badge will have a better build quality than other cheap cars in that class.

You never know Ford might import Indian made IKON (redesigned fiesta) as there budget small car.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #64
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
I was refering to this particular ad :
Quote:
That ad is not aimed at us, I'm sure they could care less if we liked it or not. Based on Holden's past marketing, I can only assume that the target audience will quite enjoy the ad.

:dr_Evil:
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #65
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
I keep getting that confused with Riva (the coffee) hehe

Wasn't Riva the chinese dub of that Elvis flick "Riva Ross Regus"?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #66
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Wasn't Riva the chinese dub of that Elvis flick "Riva Ross Regus"?
Oh I LOVED that movie! They raced old skylines didn't they?

My fav quote... "Re no on your brock anymor, you beta ratch who roo tark too rike dat!"
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Old 19-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #67
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:

:dr_Evil:
Fair enough but no need for the one-eyed crap, I'm aware that we don't really advertise our products whereas you can't go an ad break without seeing the Holden logo dangling in front of us.

IMHO this ad is way below Holden's standards but I have to admitt it was hard to tell what Daewoo they were selling. The point I was making is that if the ad is woeful won't it turn people away... if I was hunting for a cheap car would I care about 22 spaces? The past ads have been good but they have sold good cars, bad ad + bad car = bad sales
Old 19-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #68
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Oh.. I was only generalising about the one-eyed comment, wasn't meaning to imply anything. Sorry about that.

It's an ad that'll have the "water cooler" effect. That's probably all I can say on the subject. It's certainly not as annoying as the Yaris ads. At least the Viva ads, you know it's actually a car that they're advertising.

Getting back to general stuff really quick though.. I wish Ford adverts were responded to in the same way as Holden ones, with only a small percentage recieving negetive press. :(
Old 19-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #69
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
wonder what life as a sheeps like?
life as a sheep?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #70
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

I think it's the sequal to that movie life as a house? I hear it's got good reviews. ;)
Old 19-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #71
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
life as a sheep?
sheep... an animal that tends to follow others because it's too stupid to think for it's self
Old 19-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #72
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Im an eagles fan, im a west ozzie....hardly a sheep...id be a sheep if i was a collingwood fan
Old 19-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #73
Dezza
Parts bin special

The Viva ad is bad, and it is very rare that Holden makes bad ads. One other ad that annoyed me was the "Happy new year, Brockie", "Happy new Holden, Debra". I mean, WTF? That's a pretty random thing to say! On the other hand, their SS ute ads have always been good.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #74
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
The Viva ad is bad, and it is very rare that Holden makes bad ads. One other ad that annoyed me was the "Happy new year, Brockie", "Happy new Holden, Debra". I mean, WTF? That's a pretty random thing to say! On the other hand, their SS ute ads have always been good.
"Theyer's Worter on Morz... Damn Assies!" (ok so that was for the Crewman)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #75
460cixy
burn out king

whats with those brockie shed ads? comes with features like a window and a door?
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #76
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Don't forget, Japanese cars were poor quality alternatives to Australian made not that long ago... and I'm sure some members here would remember. Err, not me... a bit before my era... but that's what I've read. ;)
We are not living in the past.
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #77
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Yeah but SSBaby your beloved general is gonna have the same quality problems with its new Korean cars. Not only is Holden peddling crap, they are annoying everyone who watches TV with those stupid ads.

What about the ads with those inner city troglodites in the nuddy? (and don't get me started on the bulk of naturists being ugly)
Shows why Denny Mooney (who signed off on the ad, and Korean cars, and the latest magnadore) should have been commited.

HOLDEN MEANS A GREAT DEAL TO KOREA

FOOSBALL, LABOUR STRIKES, CORRUPT POLITICIANS AND DAEWOO ERR HOLDEN CARS.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #78
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i think its a bit more than getting a daewoo and slapping a holden badge on it...holden spent a year refining them to Australian standards, so they arent completely daewoo.
Old 21-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #79
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Getting back to general stuff really quick though.. I wish Ford adverts were responded to in the same way as Holden ones, with only a small percentage recieving negetive press. :(
Ford dont make really crappy ads. But than they dont make real good ads.
Which isn't good because even a bad ad like the VIVA one is getting people talking.
Hence the thread.
Old 21-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #80
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Viva la problems lol

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...vf=4&bg=1&pp=3

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #81
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Heres a funny exerp from the above link.

"We don't believe there is an issue. We would not have introduced these cars under [the Holden] brand if we didn't believe the quality was appropriate."

yeah, real appropriate! :
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
Heres a funny exerp from the above link.

"We don't believe there is an issue. We would not have introduced these cars under [the Holden] brand if we didn't believe the quality was appropriate."

yeah, real appropriate! :

What would be the quality of a hyundai or a Kia at the same price?
You have to remeber the price tag is only $12999.
Old 21-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #83
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fiesta is from $13490 iirc and it has had little problems and is euro built...

BTW the Viva is $17990 since it is a replacement for the Astra Classic
Old 21-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #84
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmaigz
Viva the 21 storage spaces!
(shove it up your @$$)
Viva the 22 storage spaces!!
LMFAO! So that's what gets whispered. :evil_laug

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #85
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
What would be the quality of a hyundai or a Kia at the same price?
You have to remeber the price tag is only $12999.

I was actually reading it as being appropriate of holden quality.

Where the hell did you pull this magic figure of $13k then?

Sorry to link to Holden's web site but: http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=29

Holden rrps are 17,990 for the hatch and sedan and $19,490 for the wagon.

Thats just a little too close to Focus, Lancer and Pulsar money for my liking. I know where i'd be spending my hard earned cash.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
I was actually reading it as being appropriate of holden quality.

Where the hell did you pull this magic figure of $13k then?

Sorry to link to Holden's web site but: http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=29

Holden rrps are 17,990 for the hatch and sedan and $19,490 for the wagon.

Thats just a little too close to Focus, Lancer and Pulsar money for my liking. I know where i'd be spending my hard earned cash.

I must be mixing it up with their other model. I know that have a model thats meant to be $13k. But at $18k, than you can start to question the quality.
Old 21-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Actually, this thread wasnt just an excuse to have a go at Holden for whoever you are that suggested that. If you actually read the post, you would see what I said, that usually Holden are successful with their marketing and ads - and its not often you see a dodgy one, which is why I was surprised! Ive never picked on any of their ads, and anyway - if you have read ANY of my posts over the last year or so, you would know that Ive had plenty to say about Fords lack of advertising, and lack of quality advertising! I have always thought Fords ads were too few, and too crap. I even wrote to Polites (about another issue) and told him what I thought (and Flint) and I got responses from both!

So Im the first one to admit that Holden have it over Ford with marketing, and HSV over FPV. And Bathurst is a clear testament to that fact, I agree. In fact its not just tv - have a look at your local Motor Show and see who has the biggest and best set up! I know in Adelaide, the Holden stand absolutely smashes the Ford stand for attention grabbing ability! And merchandise is another area... you can get Holden and HSV gear nearly anywhere, at their dealers, at various department stores, just about everywhere... you have to struggle to find Ford/FPR gear, maybe out the back of the dealership stuffed in the parts area and maybe a bit of it at Kmart, but thats just Ford Racing gear and doesnt really compare to the Holden gear...

And as someone else said, how would anyone really know that a Typhoon exists? Ive never seen an ad for it, and I havent seen an FPV ad for a LOOONG time! Its disgraceful.

However, this is all why I was surprised to see the crappy little Viva ad which is so annoying it is sickening - and I didnt even mind the Skaife Holden ads either... but yes, the Korean connection is probably the reason... and I wasnt having a go at the car either, its just small and dated looking, but Ive seen worse...

Oh, and I did own a 1999 Festiva 5 door, manual, from new. It was actually really good, I had it for 4 years until I traded it in on the current car. It used no fuel, never had a single thing go wrong with it (and I flogged it) and it actually had better paint than I have on my BA which has been resprayed, in parts, 3 times! I did get 16s on the Festy though, those 13s were just too small. At least the Festy didnt have to have driver and passenger airbags as standard, as per the equivalent Barina of the time, because it couldnt pass safety standards without them!!!

I hope Tom Gorman or someone reads this though, because while Viva ad annoys me, I think Fords perpetual crappy advertising and marketing annoys me a lot more!!!

And those Ford salesman ads..... Im sure it made a few Ford salesmen cringe....
I found out the reason these "you'd be popular too" ads exist. Ford Motor Co are not responsible for these ads, they are made and paid for by the Ford dealerships themselves, so Ford basically has no control over them.

Does anyone know when we'll start to see ads for the BF, as they are still showing ads with the BA XR8 ute.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #88
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Only BF ads I've seen so far were at the motorshow.
Old 21-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
i think its a bit more than getting a daewoo and slapping a holden badge on it...holden spent a year refining them to Australian standards, so they arent completely daewoo.
And the only bits they could swap were the bits out of Daewoo's parts bin. So 100% Daewoo. Seems like its already coping a canning by the motoring journos as it drives poorly like all Korean cars seem to. They have no idea how to set up ride, handling and steering or how to give a manual good shift quality.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post