Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Default Unifilter RAMPOD

Ok is there any mjor difference between a rampod and a K&N Pod filter? besides cost and such, si their any true benefit, what's is better, I want to replace the standadr panel filter and have had my heart set on a pod filter, mounted in the existing air box, though I have seen unifilters and i'm struggling to tell if there is any major difference or benefit.. could anyone fill me in??

Please stick to the thread as well, i'm not interested in being told pods are useless etc etc, I just wish to know if there is any difference in air flow, performance, sound etc...

cheers

GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
MRJUCY
Fordless

My friend has a Unifilter rampod on his XR8 not in an airbox & the only real benefit of this over other pods is it came with brackets that bolt into the existing holes so he didn't need drill or cut his car & the pod is securely mounted rather then flopping around like many peoples setups.
Some people say foam doesn't flow as well as the cotton filters but is better for dirt roads & stuff like that but I don't really know one way or another I think it's all much of a muchness.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

You will find that the unifilter pod has a nice aluminium funnel attatched to the bottom of it. This funnel is specifically shaped so that the unifilter takes advantage of the whole of the filters surface, rather then just being a filter stuck on the end of a hose type arrangement. Some Unifilter kits come complete with all adaptors, and mounting hardware supplied, so fitment is a whole lot easier.
In the case of the K&N's that Ive seen they are more like a pod stuck on the end of a hose. I have yet to see a 'complete' K&N kit available that also contains mounting, or adaptor type hardware.
I can't provide you with exact figures as to which one works best, by how much or whatever, though it would be like the ongoing what is the best car type debate anyways. To do so would prove ultimately pointless anyway, as both types (depending upon the size of course) would outflow the requirements of all but the most highly modified of engines.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

thanks... I understand the e serise and au serise unifilters come with all the mounting kit parts for $210...

Considering I'm running a practically stock El i'm not to worried about performance, more so I'm just looking for that sucking noise you get from a POD, do you still get that with a rampod???
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
MRJUCY
Fordless

You do that is the main reason my friend got one actually but for some reason it isn't as loud as Commodores & you don't get that weird slurping noise they do when they switch off.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Mate of mine had a rampod on a 4 cyl. The throttle response and induction noise was vastly improved. Haven't seen any dyno results though.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say they're better for dusty conditions, purely based on the fact that plenty of dirtbike riders and o/r racers use them (though that could also be down to the cleanability). I can understand how they would be better - the air has to pass through a larger thickness of filter compared to a hollow K&N type filter. I reckon they look tops too

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Ive been using this type of filter for about 12 years.
Ive always had a Finer filter ram pod, basically the same as a Unifilter.
The biggest thing i found was the response, and the extra fuel economy, i got 50kays extra per tank of fuel, that was on a standard XR6.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post